PDA

View Full Version : Should EMA Stay?

PaulMacC
09-05-2009, 01:15 AM
Should it, I know people who actually use it properly for bus fares, lunches etc but I know others that save it up for a Saturday night and buy booze with it.

Chaos
09-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Yeh but u cant get rid of it just because some people waste it on drink and going out.

Some people need the money to get to college otherwise they wouldnt be able to go.

J0SH
09-05-2009, 01:54 AM
Would make a good debate if it was even going anywhere..

Ajax.
09-05-2009, 02:26 AM
Yeah, its helpful maybe put it into voucher form to stop the partyers?

Clowgon
09-05-2009, 08:43 AM
Of course it should stay!

Before EMA was introduced people who left school just decided to be lazy dozy loser's and just sign on. Now they have changed the signing on w/e to 18 so it encourages young people to further their education by going to college.

They just basically introduced the £30PW to encourage young ppl to go to College.

£30 A week is really good, we are very lucky as i know in same places in America and across the world you have to pay to go to College.

Barmi
09-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Of course it should stay!

Before EMA was introduced people who left school just decided to be lazy dozy loser's and just sign on. Now they have changed the signing on w/e to 18 so it encourages young people to further their education by going to college.

They just basically introduced the £30PW to encourage young ppl to go to College.

£30 A week is really good, we are very lucky as i know in same places in America and across the world you have to pay to go to College.
Just to put it in context, for a lot of people £30 per week is difficult to get.

http://img.skitch.com/20090509-c1bc6s6pqhc6xrw4d7jiwnr21b.png

In principle it is good, and should stay. I would only ask that the means test changes. For example, if one person is getting £30 p/w because her parents are earning £20,000 p/a, and another is entitled to nothing because her parents are earning £30,000, but has 9 other dependents to provide for... is this fair?

It is too simple, and it's used in most government means tests. It's not just this system that should change, but all of them. On a slightly different note, the EMA applications should by subject to more scrutiny. Why? People cheat the system. I know some people who have parents earning plenty over £30,000, and on the EMA form they would claim they are living with their grandmother. (Ergo, getting the full £30 p/w they wouldn't be entitled to.)

Moh
09-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Luckily for me, my mum had to work part time for a year or two (family issues) so that gets me £30, but because my course is 2 years, they assess it for both years, so next year I should only get £20 or £10, but I get £30 ^_^

I do think they should reconsider the requirements. Both my friends parent work, so they're getting over £30k, but he also has other brothers who they have to provide for. So his parents can't afford to give him £30 a week. He had to get a job just so he could pay for college ect.. (However, I am very jelous of his Job. He works for the NHS, so good pay and low chance of getting laid off).

Caution
09-05-2009, 10:10 AM
It shouldn't just depend on your parents salary, it should have more factors involved, and there should be proper checks imo. But I'm not really complaining cos I'll get it. :eusa_dance

RandomManJay
09-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Its based on an old belief that because a family is making a high income, the children of that family would be supported, but in today's society, this isn't the usaully the case.

I don't think getting rid of it would be the best option, but it should be open to everyone and different rules should be made about how much money you get etc:

- Based on results or predicted grades (not the best idea).
- The amount of years you've been or are intending to be enrolled in further education and whether or not you have university aspirations.
- If you are employed by the time you've started further education.

I do think that the criteria was created to make it easier to allocate money, but life isn't as black and white as this and other things must be taken into consideration. So I do think it should stay, but it should be changed to accommodate everyone.

buttons
09-05-2009, 12:07 PM
At the end of the day, the only ones that are going to moan about it are the people that don't get the money. I get £30 a week, my mum is a single parent who has to look after 3 children on a **** income, yet she still puts all of it into life savings. On top of that, I get my bus paid for me when I go to college as does my brother, considering it's like £5.50 for a return every day. If there's anything I desperately need mum will pay for it but for now we keep the EMA for the purposes it was given to us. The ones that get the money 'deserve' it. They're going to school/college for the time being, doing something and not just sitting on their lazy arses doing **** all, otherwise they wouldn't get it. Where I live and I'm sure it applys everywhere else, you have to go to school every day, skive no classes & if you do you have to have a very very good excuse otherwise you don't get it. At least they aren't getting paid £58 a week from Jobseekers for **** all which one of my friends does and she just buys alcohol with it.

As for the people that don't get it at all, I don't see why they should. Their family are making £30,800+ a year (this is if they aren't getting EMA) which is £10,000 more than the pupils getting £30. Say you were to stay on school for the two extra years required (I get confused with England), the maximum you will get from EMA is £3,000 (I think?) including bonuses. That's for 2 years and yet the people not getting EMA are still better off, if they really need it, they can get a job?!!? I know some people on £30 EMA and have a job so it's not like everyones wasting it on drink and things for their own enjoyment but they're putting in effort to get what they want.

Melsia
09-05-2009, 12:31 PM
I will be getting EMA next year. I honestly don't know how I would afford to stay at school if they stopped it.

I will have to pay over £300 pounds for a bus just so I can get to school. How is a 16 year old expected to pay that without any help?

I can understand why people may want it stopped if they've only seen it being used for the wrong reasons but I still think it really needs to stay for those people who need it.

GommeInc
09-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Get rid of it and start again, and only give it to poor familes. The biggest flaw so far with it is, it is given to children with their household income being somewhere around £30,000 a. For a single child that's alot, and they don't deserve the EMA. Perhaps lower it to £20,000 for all instances across the board and single parents allow some sort of benefits for it too, though there are probably government agencies behind that anyway. I hate people who don't use it for its true purpose and then rant at people who don't receive it calling them jealous. They deserve a slap...

Or just get rid of it and have the EMA company buy the bus tickets and stuff for the children, but that just seems like charity so won't work - though you really only need it for bus/travelling expenses. Stationary is what most schools have anyway.

Also, a family of 5 for example that make just enough not to get the EMA deserve it, because some familes cannot be supported but a larger than average for a small family income. It's quite a flawed system at the moment.

Wahey
09-05-2009, 12:41 PM
I could sure use EMA when i start 5th year this year :( But since my mums married again i aint aloud it =\ and the thing is she hardly ever gives me money
But spose it should stay cause sure are more needy people about than me...

Barmi
09-05-2009, 12:42 PM
At the end of the day, the only ones that are going to moan about it are the people that don't get the money. I get £30 a week, my mum is a single parent who has to look after 3 children on a **** income, yet she still puts all of it into life savings. On top of that, I get my bus paid for me when I go to college as does my brother, considering it's like £5.50 for a return every day. If there's anything I desperately need mum will pay for it but for now we keep the EMA for the purposes it was given to us. The ones that get the money 'deserve' it. They're going to school/college for the time being, doing something and not just sitting on their lazy arses doing **** all, otherwise they wouldn't get it. Where I live and I'm sure it applys everywhere else, you have to go to school every day, skive no classes & if you do you have to have a very very good excuse otherwise you don't get it. At least they aren't getting paid £58 a week from Jobseekers for **** all which one of my friends does and she just buys alcohol with it.

As for the people that don't get it at all, I don't see why they should. Their family are making £30,800+ a year (this is if they aren't getting EMA) which is £10,000 more than the pupils getting £30. Say you were to stay on school for the two extra years required (I get confused with England), the maximum you will get from EMA is £3,000 (I think?) including bonuses. That's for 2 years and yet the people not getting EMA are still better off, if they really need it, they can get a job?!!? I know some people on £30 EMA and have a job so it's not like everyones wasting it on drink and things for their own enjoyment but they're putting in effort to get what they want.
I have put two comments in bold, and I am comfortable in saying you're wrong on both counts. To the second comment, many deserve it, but not all. If you cared to read my post you will understand there are people cheating the system. How can you say they deserve it?

@GommeInc: If the £30 was a flat figure, I would agree with you. But it's £30/£20/£10... scaled accordingly. As I said previously, my main contention is the means testing is flawed.

buttons
09-05-2009, 01:13 PM
I have put two comments in bold, and I am comfortable in saying you're wrong on both counts. To the second comment, many deserve it, but not all. If you cared to read my post you will understand there are people cheating the system. How can you say they deserve it?

@GommeInc: If the £30 was a flat figure, I would agree with you. But it's £30/£20/£10... scaled accordingly. As I said previously, my main contention is the means testing is flawed.
That's not very fair considering I actually read your post and the other ones in here too, your "if you cared to read my post" is out of order because I did, I don't just jump into something if I don't so maybe you could be a bit more respectful? I wanted to just post what I felt and didn't feel the need to argue over it because I'm always going to think what I think about it. What I meant was, the people that get EMA because they are struggling for education purposes do deserve it, why wouldn't they? I've never heard of people cheating to get it, I don't look into this kind of stuff because I am just happy to get it and give my view and it's true, you don't see anyone receiving EMA complaining about it otherwise they wouldn't have asked for it in the first place.

Also, gomme - for most our courses we have to pay for equipment depending on what it is which is pretty shady. I get my bus paid for me and I don't think of it as charity, I just wouldn't be able to get up otherwise so it's good. I wouldn't say I fit into 'poor' but we struggle enough as it is, I could probably live without it but it does help.

Clowgon
09-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Or just get rid of it and have the EMA company buy the bus tickets and stuff for the children, but that just seems like charity so won't work - though you really only need it for bus/travelling expenses. Stationary is what most schools have anyway.

That's absolutely preposterous!

I Guarantee that, if that was to happen loads of ppl wouldn't go. Most people who get their EMA waste it, so if that was to happen they would forget about going to college all together.

We need the young of this Country going to College so the Country can Prosper.

Jordan,
09-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Either let every child have it or no one have it

Barmi
09-05-2009, 02:03 PM
That's not very fair considering I actually read your post and the other ones in here too, your "if you cared to read my post" is out of order because I did, I don't just jump into something if I don't so maybe you could be a bit more respectful? I wanted to just post what I felt and didn't feel the need to argue over it because I'm always going to think what I think about it. What I meant was, the people that get EMA because they are struggling for education purposes do deserve it, why wouldn't they? I've never heard of people cheating to get it, I don't look into this kind of stuff because I am just happy to get it and give my view and it's true, you don't see anyone receiving EMA complaining about it otherwise they wouldn't have asked for it in the first place.
Apologies if I sounded abrupt. It just seemed that what I posted wasn't acknowledged. Instead, it seems you take a "I haven't seen it therefore it doesn't happen approach". Maybe you've only known genuine people, but there are people out there cheating the system and receiving more than they are entitled to – preventing those like yourself, who should be receiving this money, to having full amounts. It still stands that not everyone who receives it deserves it. Many, yes... but not all.

When I was at college, I received EMA, and I feel no difficulty in complaining about the system. The system is flawed. The system allows people to cheat it. The system has an inaccurate means test, and this means test is no different to that for higher education grants – which I also would complain about. Claiming what you are entitled to does not prevent you from giving criticism. I would not be aware of the flaws in the system if I did not claim myself. Apologies again for my abruptness, but I do get very passionate over means tests.

@Jordan,: Don't be ridiculous; we don't live in a communist society. We live in a society which recognises some are more needing than others. That which needs changing is the test determining who is more needing than another.

Clowgon
09-05-2009, 02:05 PM
That's even more absurd.

So are you telling me, if someone parent/s earned over £60,000 a Year their kid/kids deserve to get it?

If your parent's are earning under £30,000 a year then you deserve to get, i don't see why any rich kids deserve to get £10,£20 or £30 a week when they don't really need it. That money could go in the Public services so like Buses and that are cheaper.

Every term the fare on the bus goes up. 85p to go into Town. It's ridicolous, i can remember paying 32p a few years ago.

EDIT - THIS IS TOWARDS JORDAN,

Caution
09-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Either let every child have it or no one have it

So someone with a parent earning 100k+ should get £30 a week? No, it should have more factors to decide whether someone should get it.

Chaos
09-05-2009, 02:15 PM
That's even more absurd.

So are you telling me, if someone parent/s earned over £60,000 a Year their kid/kids deserve to get it?

Of course?

If my mum and dad were rich they wouldnt give me a penny of it.

If they did id be just as spoilt as all the s**** out there with everything being brought for them anyway.

& Besides just because they are rich doesnt mean they should be treated any different, They could have a morgage to pay or they could have hospital bills or anything.

Caution
09-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Of course?

If they did id be just as spoilt as all the s**** out there with everything being brought for them anyway.

& Besides just because they are rich doesnt mean they should be treated any different, They could have a morgage to pay or they could have hospital bills or anything.

A household that makes so much should be able to provide and shouldn't get it imo.

xPrecedent
09-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Most parents will support you, if they buy your bus pass/dinner money etc then thats only the same, you just don't think it is, yes it's free money because to be fair my mum buys my bus pass, sometimes we go halve etc and I get £30 a week. My bus pass is £45 a month. I have my dinners and stuff, but my mum can pay for that during week as well. I don't spend all my £30, but I don't waste it.. it's being saved.

If your parents earn a lot, i'm sure they would buy your transport/food requirements etc.. they won't just leave you to suffer.

Clowgon
09-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Of course?

That's crazy though, my Mum earns under 12,000 a Year, Single mum with a Mortgage, out of that she has to pay Household bills, give me Bus fair money and pay for my School dinners. That's not even including food!

If someones Parent's earning 60,000 a Year they probably pay £1000 PCM for their Mortgage, so for 12 months that's 12,000 gone. £48,000 left. Household bills including Council Tax, 4 - £5000. Leaves them with roughly £40,000 to spend on what they want. Kids who have parent/parents like that don't deserve to have a single penny from the Government to go to College.

If the parent/parent's don't want to give their kid/kids money to get to College and buy stuff for College then it's their problem. It's bloody greedy.

And what Hospital bills, Health care in this country is free unless you need Surgery or want to go to a Private clinic or w/e Or go to the Dentist and how many times would you go to the Dentist for a year? Probably once or twice. It sure enit gonna leave a big fat hole in their yearly salary!

Dan2nd
09-05-2009, 02:32 PM
People shouldn't go to college because they want money, they should go because they want to learn and want to give themselves a better chance in their future!

I'm fully supportive for people who actually need EMA, my friend for example was so desperate for cash he even ended up borrowing off me on top of his EMA payments, what did annoy me however were people who obviously only went to college because they were going to get money to buy their 'Cigs' and 'alchopops' and didn't give a damn about what they were going to do in the future. Most of the time those undeserving people spend most of their lessons misbehaving (which my tutor didn't seem to care about) and still get payments given to them?

Why should these freeloaders get money because their parents earn hardly anything if they only wish to end up following their parents footsteps?

So in my opinion some people deserve it and truely need the help but others just don't care...

I guess I've had the last laugh now since now college is over they're all working in Tescos whilst I've managed to get a proper job and my friend who used his payments as he should have has managed to get a good job aswell :)

(neither of us went to Uni)

Clowgon
09-05-2009, 02:46 PM
People shouldn't go to college because they want money, they should go because they want to learn and want to give themselves a better chance in their future!

I'm fully supportive for people who actually need EMA, my friend for example was so desperate for cash he even ended up borrowing off me on top of his EMA payments, what did annoy me however were people who obviously only went to college because they were going to get money to buy their 'Cigs' and 'alchopops' and didn't give a damn about what they were going to do in the future. Most of the time those undeserving people spend most of their lessons misbehaving (which my tutor didn't seem to care about) and still get payments given to them?

Why should these freeloaders get money because their parents earn hardly anything if they only wish to end up following their parents footsteps?

So in my opinion some people deserve it and truely need the help but others just don't care...

I guess I've had the last laugh now since now college is over they're all working in Tescos whilst I've managed to get a proper job and my friend who used his payments as he should have has managed to get a good job aswell :)

(neither of us went to Uni)

I agree, when your Mum, dad or w/e has a big fat Yearly salary coming in. You don't need £30 pound pw to go to college, they should pay for all your needs and it's ppl like them that are making the Public services much more exspensive.

I think they should change EMA all together. Instead having the choice of what you want you want to do with the money. They should do something where the EMA can decide on what the weekly money should be spend on.

EMA should only be spend on things like these....

Food,
Clothes,
Driving lessons,
Stationary,
Books,
Transport.

My Brother was the same, he went to College he messed about but at that time, i don't think the EMA was introduced.

He left college never went to Uni and he's had pretty good jobs over the years. He worked for Phones for U earning 3 to 4 grand a month. Then worked for BT as a Managering director unfortunately he's lost his job at BT - due to Credit crunch.

After lieing about a few qualifications he's got. He has now got an interview in London about working in Dubai as a Economics adviser. Or something like that.

Anyway the system needs to be changed.

Susie Dent
09-05-2009, 03:01 PM
It should stay but only if it's given to non-povos like me whose parents actually bother to work.x

buttons
09-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Of course?

Huh? If you're spoilt by your parents then you are getting their money.

Same as me Clowgon. My mum earns under 12,000 a year too and she's a single mum with 3 children. She gets child benefits which go towards our weekly shopping, money for school, school clothes & equipment so there's never anything left over for decent stuff, I just use my own money come Christmas & birthday time which are 6 days between each other so it's not as though I can afford to buy clothes all the time :S I'd use the EMA money to buy myself nice clothes if I could but unfortunately mum doesn't allow that.

To the person that said "Why should these freeloaders get money because their parents earn hardly anything if they only wish to end up following their parents footsteps?" - Yeah, some people do do that but not everyone, it's not all just chavs (sorry, being sterotypical) that get the money, my mum used to have a decent job until the place got closed down, my dad has a decent job but we get absolutely nothing of it. It's not fair that the people that get it look as though they're all just chavs who are gonna end up on Jobseekers because they've been given 'easy' money, some people want to work hard and if there is extra help via money then why shouldn't they get it? Same to poster above, if your parents have been on jobseekers all their life or have a **** job because of their qualifications then I agree they should pull their fingers out their arses and help themselves, like I said just because my mum struggles to find work isn't her fault ;_; stupid frigging hospitals

If EMA was given to everyone, it would benefit the RICH more as they have their own money plus the EMA they are given which is just going to erase the whole purpose, it isn't fair that everyone gets, even if some want to go to uni, i'm sure a lot can afford it, others cant.

Clowgon
09-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Hmm i agree, but in these difficult economic times it's quite hard landing a job.

People like my mum who get's £12,000 PY or under are better off not working.

Clowgon
09-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Huh? If you're spoilt by your parents then you are getting their money.

Same as me Clowgon. My mum earns under 12,000 a year too and she's a single mum with 3 children. She gets child benefits which go towards our weekly shopping, money for school, school clothes & equipment so there's never anything left over for decent stuff, I just use my own money come Christmas & birthday time which are 6 days between each other so it's not as though I can afford to buy clothes all the time :S I'd use the EMA money to buy myself nice clothes if I could but unfortunately mum doesn't allow that.

To the person that said "Why should these freeloaders get money because their parents earn hardly anything if they only wish to end up following their parents footsteps?" - Yeah, some people do do that but not everyone, it's not all just chavs (sorry, being sterotypical) that get the money, my mum used to have a decent job until the place got closed down, my dad has a decent job but we get absolutely nothing of it. It's not fair that the people that get it look as though they're all just chavs who are gonna end up on Jobseekers because they've been given 'easy' money, some people want to work hard and if there is extra help via money then why shouldn't they get it? Same to poster above, if your parents have been on jobseekers all their life or have a **** job because of their qualifications then I agree they should pull their fingers out their arses and help themselves, like I said just because my mum struggles to find work isn't her fault ;_; stupid frigging hospitals

If EMA was given to everyone, it would benefit the RICH more as they have their own money plus the EMA they are given which is just going to erase the whole purpose, it isn't fair that everyone gets, even if some want to go to uni, i'm sure a lot can afford it, others cant.

Absolutely, after my mum pays the important stuff we hardly have enough money for the rest of the month, were bearly surviving, even though she gets child benefits and w/e. I ******* hate it when i see the rich taking the system for granted. I don't care if people want say to this is stupid but i think ppl who earning over £30,000 a year should pay for their kids to go to College.

If i do decide to go to Uni it will be a big struggle, with my Mum earning £12,000 a Year. I would probably have to rank myself up with debt in the thousands to get me through Uni.

While the rich kids manages through Uni......

It's just so unfair. Why do the Rich have to get away with Murder.

e5
09-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Voucher forms for everything except booze? That would be kinda pointless.

eight
09-05-2009, 04:25 PM
its like pocket money

if your parents earn more they can give it to you

if they earn less the goverment will :)

spend it on what you want, who cares

jackass
09-05-2009, 04:56 PM
No it should not stay, because it isn't fair.

Just because someones parents earn over a certain amount doesn't mean that they are going to pay for things like travel etc. because they won't. They must be pretty naive to think this.

Barmi
09-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Of course?

The government expects parental contributions towards education. It is understandable if these contributions do not come from someone with a low annual income, because it might be impossible. But even if contributions are small... and yet someone on a high income refused to pay contributions... I'd class these latter parents as greedy.

@Biohazard: If you are a lone child, and your parents are earning over £30,000 p/a, then take your complaints to ChildLine or someone who will pat you on the back for a sob-story. If you have a number of siblings on the other hand, then you will see why the means test does not work. The principle does not need to be abolished, because it helps those who are unable to make the expected contributions towards their child's education. The system for assessment, however, needs to be looked at.

Absolutely, after my mum pays the important stuff we hardly have enough money for the rest of the month, were bearly surviving, even though she gets child benefits and w/e. I ******* hate it when i see the rich taking the system for granted. I don't care if people want say to this is stupid but i think ppl who earning over £30,000 a year should pay for their kids to go to College.

If i do decide to go to Uni it will be a big struggle, with my Mum earning £12,000 a Year. I would probably have to rank myself up with debt in the thousands to get me through Uni.

While the rich kids manages through Uni......

It's just so unfair. Why do the Rich have to get away with Murder.
Don't sob-story, please. It's damn ugly to read. Many people have a hard time, and while kids flaunting their money on an internet forum is annoying to see, don't respond with sob-story.

It is not difficult to get through university from a low-income background. It is the middle-class families with lots of children who suffer. If you come from a low-income background, you'll be entitled to a greater maintenance grant (along with part of the loan), and more likely to receive bursaries/grants/scholarships from your university. Don't dispute this until you've been through it.

My family is relatively large with just one source of income. I was not entitled to a full EMA, and yet I worked through college, right up until university. I'm living away from home, and the debt I am incurring is not daunting in the slightest. You should feel comfortable in paying it off... it is the most manageable form of debt available. Besides, you will be able to claim more free money than I have been able to, so stop QQing.

Dan2nd
09-05-2009, 06:41 PM

That was me, I didn't want to imply that everyone who gets EMA are 'chav's' and behave that way. Infact one of my best mates got EMA and he worked extreamly hard and he was in major dept himself never mind his parents so needed it badly!

My opinion on EMA has changed recently before I was annoyed I didn't get it, now I've learned that people (such as my mate) actually need it and get it for a reason. What annoys me is people who don't care about college, don't care about their future and just want the money.

Like someone said before EMA is there to encourage people to go into further education.. I'm lucky enough to not need EMA but I know if I was bought up in a less priviledged family and I was entitled to EMA I'd make the most of college so I can grow up and provide for myself and my maybe future family so we won't have to rely on goverment money to survive.

GommeInc
09-05-2009, 08:19 PM

I Guarantee that, if that was to happen loads of ppl wouldn't go. Most people who get their EMA waste it, so if that was to happen they would forget about going to college all together.

We need the young of this Country going to College so the Country can Prosper.
Bribing children into a life of handouts and benefits isn't a very good idea, especially when it "aids the country". SO wasting millions on children who probably won't learn much is a good idea? Make a country poor on children not interested other than by some money? Besides, the government force children into school now usually threatening the parents. So it's not prepostrous at all, and the students that don't go to college will be kicking themselves later in life. So it's their loss, not the countrys.

I was going to mention the acceptance scheme for this. Only childs (if that's how it is pronounced) probably don't deserve it if their parents income is over £30,000 (as in, they don't get the £10, it would be pointless and won't go towards anything). If they gave £30 a week to "poor" children (income and how many is in the family taken into account) then it would be useful. For example, making a procedure of, lets say, £5,000 a year per child and £10,000 a year per adult. A family of 2 adults and one child that only make £25,000 (or less) a year deserve the EMA of £30 per week for that child (maybe less, so £20 or £10). So a family of 3 with any amount over don't get it.

It's a confusing subject though, because it doesn't take individual needs into account, and I'd hate to receive EMA looking like a charity case much like many others would hate to be, to eliminate wasted funds on children and teens who clearly don't deserve it.

Jordy
09-05-2009, 08:39 PM

We need the young of this Country going to College so the Country can Prosper.If they're only there for the money then it's clear they're not there to get the best grades possible, they're more likely to cause disruption to the kids who want to learn. If the country really needed all these people to go to College they may as well make it compulsory (Although I do believe this is happening in a few years time?).

Once again, if the government really care that much about people getting a decent education and helping the country, why won't they pay for University? Working class gets EMA so surely working and middle class should get University fees paid for them as well, it's similar principals.

Barmi
09-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Once again, if the government really care that much about people getting a decent education and helping the country, why won't they pay for University? Working class gets EMA so surely working and middle class should get University fees paid for them as well, it's similar principals.
Those on a lower income receive a greater maintenance grant. I do not support the "free university education for every person on every course" idea. It's not economically viable and its returns suck. I'm sure the government wouldn't have issue with paying for those doing an academic course, but it can't then be seen to have course snobbery. A number of MPs have admitted that not all university courses have enough economic returns.

Heck, those who are yet to go to university may have a shock if fees go up.

JackBuddy
09-05-2009, 08:59 PM
I know everyone is just going to label me as jealous but I think it should go.

My parents couldn't afford to give me £30 a week, I work for my money.
EMA is effectively bribery so government higher education stats look good.
EMA should not be cash, it should be vouchers exchangable for travel/ lunch costs and not new DVDs.
When I jet off to university I will finish in 3 years time with a debt of around 13 grand (hopefully). I am paying every penny of this yet just because some of my friend's parents are divorced they have some divine right to receive bursaries to subsidise the cost of their education. Not fair whatsoever. The government should give it to everyone or no-one. Some of my friends haven't bothered getting part time jobs because they know that they can survive the week with their EMA (and obsurd christmas bonus). Is that a good example to set? I really don't think it's fair how some get rewarded for attending their lessons every week when I have been doing that at college at received nothing.

That's my take on it anyway.

*wears flame proof jacket*

edit: aren't the tories commited to scrapping EMA?

Barmi
09-05-2009, 09:09 PM
I know everyone is just going to label me as jealous but I think it should go.

My parents couldn't afford to give me £30 a week, I work for my money.
EMA is effectively bribery so government higher education stats look good.
EMA should not be cash, it should be vouchers exchangable for travel/ lunch costs and not new DVDs.
When I jet off to university I will finish in 3 years time with a debt of around 13 grand (hopefully). I am paying every penny of this yet just because some of my friend's parents are divorced they have some divine right to receive bursaries to subsidise the cost of their education. Not fair whatsoever. The government should give it to everyone or no-one.

That's my take on it anyway.

*wears flame proof jacket*
Bwaha! *flames*

I have no objection to the vouchers idea. In just over two years time I'm likely to have £20,000 of debt. I'm not phased by that thought; it's a price I'm willing to pay for higher education.

"Everyone or no-one" simply doesn't work. EMA is supposed to be given to those that need it. In principle, there is nothing wrong with this. The system is flawed, but the principle is right. You are providing two extremes, neither of which are suitable alternatives to achieving a better middle ground.

Edit: I don't give a damn what the tories want to do. :P If they are elected and change happens, then it's worth worrying about. And in response to the bonuses, they should be halved. As it stands, they are too much.

JackBuddy
09-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Out of interest, what are you studying at uni?

I declined all my offers on monday and am applying for a completely different course via UCAS extra. I am so rubbish at making decisions... but I blame my geography teacher.

Barmi
09-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Out of interest, what are you studying at uni?

I declined all my offers on monday and am applying for a completely different course via UCAS extra. I am so rubbish at making decisions... but I blame my geography teacher.
Law. My exams start 2 weeks on Monday! :(

But I thought you had it all sorted out in your head what you wanted to do?! You're thinking of doing geography now?

Frodo13.
09-05-2009, 10:56 PM
People who don't get EMA are just jelous...simple.

RandomManJay
09-05-2009, 11:07 PM

Lol, thats a bit harsh, there are some people on here who have gotten it and are complaining. I didn't get it and I couldn't care less, but I still voiced my opinion on it, and it was for it to stay. I didn't really need the money since I saved up quite a bit over the years, my mum and dad only paid for one thing (which was actually my 17th birthday gift), my driving lessons until I got a job (which was only about a month or two), then I they didn't give me a penny.

A lot of people say that they're just jealous, but the way I see it is that if people think they can flaunt their EMA in front of people and see those who are complaining about it as jealous, they're arrogant and it doesn't show true commitment, respect and gratitude for the money they're being given so they can have an equal chance at futher education.

P.s. Sorry if I went off course a bit :P, I just had a thought pop into my head as I typed, the second paragraph relates to what you said, but it isn't directed at you.

PaulMacC
09-05-2009, 11:08 PM
I think EMA should be scrapped and Im entitled to it. I dont think it is fair people who using it to buy things that arent for their education purpose.

GommeInc
10-05-2009, 01:13 AM
People who can't accept that some people abuse the system are stupid (not directed at you) ;)

CurtisJohns
10-05-2009, 11:36 AM
I dont understand why people are complaining.. so your telling me if i handed you 30 pound a week you would deny it? shut up and talk about summat else!! lol

Frodo13.
10-05-2009, 11:51 AM
People who can't accept that some people abuse the system are stupid (not directed at you) ;)

To be honast, you can't do much abuse with a maximum of £120 a month. I don't get EMA this year because my parents now earn over the limit, but when I was in Year 12 people moaned at me for getting £10 a week, but to be honast, there was naff all I could do with a tenner.

GommeInc
10-05-2009, 11:57 AM
To be honast, you can't do much abuse with a maximum of £120 a month. I don't get EMA this year because my parents now earn over the limit, but when I was in Year 12 people moaned at me for getting £10 a week, but to be honast, there was naff all I could do with a tenner.
So you even agree that the EMA is a bit pointless? £10 a week might aswell be £0. The only useful thing about the EMA is the £30 for people who can't quite afford travel expenses and tools for their courses. Though if people moaned at you for getting £10 a week then that's just petty children for you :P

I dont understand why people are complaining.. so your telling me if i handed you 30 pound a week you would deny it? shut up and talk about summat else!! lol
It's because laods of people who do receive don't deserve and some that don't do, but the flawed system that allows people to get it or not get it says otherwise. If you were getting £30, you wonder what the catch is, but the EMA is blind and only goes by small contributing factors of family income, rather than number in the family and working out averages to make large families just outside the catchment get it and small familes inside it get it removed.

Plank
10-05-2009, 12:29 PM
EMA should stay. How else would I pay for my driving lessons? :(

I think nearly everyone who gets EMA, and doesn't ride the bus to school etc, doesn't spend it on educational purposes. If you don't have to get the bus, or buy dinner, what else are you gonna spend it on? £30 of paper and pens a week?

I think the main idea is to encourage people to stay in education until they're 18, not to pay for buses and stuff, because if it was for that, they would just give it to people who ride the bus to school. When everyone has to stay on until they are 18 in a couple of years time, they'll probably scrap EMA.

GommeInc
10-05-2009, 12:43 PM
EMA should stay. How else would I pay for my driving lessons? :(

I think nearly everyone who gets EMA, and doesn't ride the bus to school etc, doesn't spend it on educational purposes. If you don't have to get the bus, or buy dinner, what else are you gonna spend it on? £30 of paper and pens a week?

I think the main idea is to encourage people to stay in education until they're 18, not to pay for buses and stuff, because if it was for that, they would just give it to people who ride the bus to school. When everyone has to stay on until they are 18 in a couple of years time, they'll probably scrap EMA.
Or just don't give it to people who don't have a use for it? If you don't need it for the bus or anything like that, then they don't need it. The excuse of "it's to keep people in school" is an odd one. Loads of people who don't have EMA still go to school or college, do they? Not really, some just don't go. That's one flaw with the system. The other is, if you don't want to go to school or college unless you're paid to, then that's your fault. You'll be kicking yourself for not going to college/school and they probably won't enjoy it anymore or any less than normal folk.

Zak
10-05-2009, 02:11 PM
get rid of it

i know plenty of people who have good part time jobs earn 400-500 quid a month and still claim ema

I also know people who lied about their house hold income and they also claim

xPrecedent
10-05-2009, 02:26 PM

But I thought you had it all sorted out in your head what you wanted to do?! You're thinking of doing geography now?
Law?! I'm doing it at A Level and it's hard, nevermind furthering it in Uni..

Alkaz
10-05-2009, 02:49 PM
That wouldnt work as people would need it for different reasons, buying books, stationary, bus fare, lunch etc.

I know that I dont normally need it but I give my dad some money for taking me sometimes, and its for buying supplies at school because schools arent given money for 6th formers supplies. I used my EMA to pay for my art final piece which so far has cost me about £60, without that I wouldnt have been able to do it.

It definately should say, £10>£30 a week for those who are entitled to it is nothing to the government when you think that money is to help people go to university to get high paid jobs, well most of the time so they will get there money back from things like that.

+ Interact, things like that the government will always find out about and they will be done for fraud no doubt and made to pay it back.

JackBuddy
10-05-2009, 08:45 PM

Environmental protection & management. :8 (lol)

My geography teacher marked us so harsly in mocks and practice essays in the run up to our January exams which basically made me write off geographical courses completely.

Btw, best of luck!!!

Bun
14-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Environmental protection & management. :8 (lol)

My geography teacher marked us so harsly in mocks and practice essays in the run up to our January exams which basically made me write off geographical courses completely.

Btw, best of luck!!!
TREEHUGGER x.

GoldenMerc
14-05-2009, 07:58 PM
no, or they should be given 'bus tokens' or something as all the people who i know who get EMA spend it on booze.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!