PDA

View Full Version : Statistics A level

ToxicPaddy
14-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi
I'm 15, but the top set in maths in our school have been set to do an A level in Statistics for november sometime. We started it today and learnt about 'The Binomial Distribution'. I found it surprisingly easy, but has anyone else done statistics for A level or GCSE? And if so what did you think of it?

Plank
14-05-2009, 06:48 PM
What exam board are you with?

I done S1 OCR MEI, got my exam in June. I'm finding it fairly easy. Most of the stuff in the early chapters is just basic stuff from GCSE. The main thing I hate about it is the fact that they confuse all the easy stuff up by using tons of formulas everywhere, which to me makes it look harder than it is :eusa_thin

Jackk
14-05-2009, 06:49 PM
i got an e in statistics at GCSE. it was so boring.

ToxicPaddy
14-05-2009, 07:02 PM
I found it interesting today. At the start of the lesson I was dreading it, thinking about 'all those letters and formulas will not make sense' but it surprisingly did. And I think its the OCR board :)

DieselShaq
15-05-2009, 04:33 PM
My school follows EdExcel for A level Maths and I'm gonna do my S1 exam next Wednesday. I find the actual calculations quite simple, but I can't be bothered remembering the definitions of terms...

I'm in the top set for Maths as well and we're quite special this year because we just did IGCSE last year and normal accelerated groups do just C1 and C2 in the year after IGCSE, but we're doing S1 as well.

Bevvie
15-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi
I'm 15, but the top set in maths in our school have been set to do an A level in Statistics for november sometime. We started it today and learnt about 'The Binomial Distribution'. I found it surprisingly easy, but has anyone else done statistics for A level or GCSE? And if so what did you think of it?
Yeah binomial distribution is simple.
I did it for GCSE Edexcel that was pretty easy.

What exam board are you with?

I done S1 OCR MEI, got my exam in June. I'm finding it fairly easy. Most of the stuff in the early chapters is just basic stuff from GCSE. The main thing I hate about it is the fact that they confuse all the easy stuff up by using tons of formulas everywhere, which to me makes it look harder than it is :eusa_thin

I am on that board for sixthform. OCR MEI is hard.
Statistics is okay just need to learn some formulaes. The only thing i dont understand is conditional probality. :S
I got a revision book so i think i will do fine.
Good luck with your exam.

Soka
15-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Hi

I am assuming you mean a single A level statistics module, S1. Because to get Statistics A level you need to complete S1 - 4 and do 2 other modules.

I've done GCSE statistics gaining an A* and have just learnt S1 with the exam very shortly.

GCSE was absolutely easy, and i'd say that S1 is easier than the core a level maths modules, but it is definitely harder than GCSE. Simply because it extends GCSE, and there are a few new concepts such as permutations and combinations with factorial notation. And product moment correlation.

But, once you get your head around all the 'fancy' notations and definitions used its really easy and a break from other harder modules. In my personal opinion, a lot of statistics, especially with binomial and geometric distribution and probablities is common sense and just thinking your way through the question.

What did you learn about the binomial distribtuion? B~(n, p) ??
and all that jazz.

ToxicPaddy
16-05-2009, 04:51 PM
I am assuming you mean a single A level statistics module, S1. Because to get Statistics A level you need to complete S1 - 4 and do 2 other modules.

I've done GCSE statistics gaining an A* and have just learnt S1 with the exam very shortly.

GCSE was absolutely easy, and i'd say that S1 is easier than the core a level maths modules, but it is definitely harder than GCSE. Simply because it extends GCSE, and there are a few new concepts such as permutations and combinations with factorial notation. And product moment correlation.

But, once you get your head around all the 'fancy' notations and definitions used its really easy and a break from other harder modules. In my personal opinion, a lot of statistics, especially with binomial and geometric distribution and probablities is common sense and just thinking your way through the question.

What did you learn about the binomial distribtuion? B~(n, p) ??
and all that jazz.

The teachers words were 'AS2 Level A level' which I have no idea what that exactly means :) And we just done some practice questions using Binomial Distribution for first lesson, can't remember them exactly but it was pretty easy :)

Andeeh
16-05-2009, 10:02 PM
i got kicked off the exam - which is next month - because i didnt do any coursework. its crap.

ToxicPaddy
17-05-2009, 04:05 PM
i got kicked off the exam - which is next month - because i didnt do any coursework. its crap.

there's coursework?! :(

Sad3k..
18-05-2009, 12:28 PM
In GCSE theres coursework well some examinibg body's do ti!

bt in A level there isnt!

And probablity is so hard! so much to remember!

ben
18-05-2009, 03:44 PM
I done a GCSE in Statistics in year 10 was easy but boring

Havoline
19-05-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm in the top set for Maths as well and we're quite special this year because we just did IGCSE last year and normal accelerated groups do just C1 and C2 in the year after IGCSE, but we're doing S1 as well.

Most places do the applied module as well as C1 and C2 in the same year...

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!