PDA

View Full Version : IMOK

DieselShaq
20-05-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm think many of you know of IMOK (Intermediate Mathematical Olympiad and Kangaroo) from UKMT papers. Basically every year there are 3 UKMT papers (junior, intermediate and senior) and if you get in the top 400 in the world, you advance to IMOK papers which include Cayley, Hamilton and Maclaurin. Did any of you actually do the UKMT papers? If so, did you advance to the IMOK papers? I got 108 in UKMT intermediate (I made 3 really stupid mistakes in the first 15 questions and got 8 of the last 10 correct (I only attempted 8 in those 10) which got me a total of 108.

So basically I was invited to participate in the IMOK Maclaurin paper (since I'm in year 11) and I recently got my results back. Basically it's a 6-question paper which you do in 2 hours (that's how hard it is). Each question is worth 10 marks and they award you marks depending on your working. If you get the final answer correct, they start from 10 and deduct marks for any working missed or unclear. If you don't get the final answer, they start from 0 and award you marks depending on your working. Only two people from my year (including myself) were invited to the Maclaurin and she got 11/60 whereas I got 18/60. Apparently we were both given Certificates of Merit...

Did anybody else do the UKMT or even IMOK? If so, what were your results?

Immenseman
20-05-2009, 04:04 PM
i fink u r 2 cleva for me, sori

DieselShaq
20-05-2009, 04:07 PM
I was given 0 for one of the questions I attempted (even though my answer was correct, though not necessarily the solution they wanted) because I said that it was the "only" one that worked... I don't think they realised that there were two possible solutions to that question.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!