PDA

View Full Version : Why are there so many teenage pregnancies?

Immenseman
21-05-2009, 12:38 PM
We know there are loads but why do you think there are so many?

Lack of sex education
General lack of knowledge
Nothing better to live for
Fashion accessory
"cool" to have a baby

I'm sure you can think of other reasons too. That's just a few from the top of my head. I don't agree with all of them. I'll post what I think once I've seen what a few of you have come up with.

Bevvie
21-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Good points Jake.
Well i agree with most of them, also could be peer pressure?

clueless
21-05-2009, 01:03 PM
i dont agree with the fashion accessory one or that its cool to have a baby, i dont know anyone who thinks like that! that might just be my area though

i think the binge drinking is a big contribution as you hear lots about teenage pregnancies being from drunken night. also its more acceptable to have an abortion now so teens think its okay as they wouldnt have to suffer the consequences

GommeInc
21-05-2009, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't call it a lack of sex education, probably sex education in general. Is it encouraging sex, or just not informing children to not have sex until a suitable age? Is it peer pressure, or pressure from a partner, to prove they love each other? Is it the only way to make money, by raking in benefits? Is it attention? Loads of factors. Are there any statistics that state poor background children have children themselves at younger ages, or is it mixed? Where were the two who conceived the child? Were they drunk at a party? Should the government tackle this using police tactics to make sure underage drinking isn't a factor?

How do other countries tackle the problem? Do what they have to offer have any use in this country?

I personally think most people boasting sex as an amazing thing (and by golly it is :D!) need a slap.

Barkseh
21-05-2009, 01:04 PM
coz lasses wont get abortions when we tell em' to. ***** dykes

GrandTheftAudio
21-05-2009, 01:37 PM
You've pointed out the main reasons really.
Some want to have a baby, they don't realise how hard it will be.
They think it won't happen to them.
Too many people end up having sex because they're high or drunk.
Some won't get abortions for whatever reason.

Immenseman
21-05-2009, 01:42 PM
I think one of the main factors is they don't realise exactly what it means. They don't really consider they will have to look after their baby pretty much 24/7. However, I don't think there is just one reason but more of numerous reasons integrated together which makes the issue so diverse. For example, at the school my 6th Form is attached too there have been loads of girls giving birth, youngest so far was a year 9 girl who had her baby last year. In year 10 and 11 there have been loads and from what I have been told it's one in 15 girls in that year. They are all from the same friendship group so surely friends must play a part. It's pretty damning but I think it must be true. They see their friend have a baby and all the attention that surrounds them and decide to follow suit.

One girl who has recently had a baby thus no longer in school on a full time basis still comes up EVERY morning, break, lunch and end of school with her baby. She does this to show it off because as always a crowd will surround her "omg thats so cute". I have witnessed this happen (when I actually decide to go in :lol:) and think it's vile. She has basically had this baby to get more attention.

To make things worse, most of them are ugly anyway.

RedStratocas
21-05-2009, 03:05 PM
because our teenage years are the peak of our sexual exploration (we're actually biologically supposed to have babies when we're teenagers, its society that says its wrong), and couple that with a lack of education and an anti-authoritative mindset and you get lots of kids who wanna bump uglies.

Technologic
21-05-2009, 03:07 PM
because our teenage years are the peak of our sexual exploration (we're actually biologically supposed to have babies when we're teenagers, its society that says its wrong), and couple that with a lack of education and an anti-authoritative mindset and you get lots of kids who wanna bump uglies.

A.k.a it's fun

e5
21-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Good points Jake.
Well i agree with most of them, also could be peer pressure?
I agree with yours, Jake and plus peer pressure.

Also some teenages are raped, but don't want to kill what could be a perfectly good baby.

Other things is like they could be tricked in a sense that they want to have a baby when they're really not ready, because teenagers don't quite fully understand everything yet.

Immenseman
23-05-2009, 11:48 AM

Also some teenages are raped, but don't want to kill what could be a perfectly good baby.

Other things is like they could be tricked in a sense that they want to have a baby when they're really not ready, because teenagers don't quite fully understand everything yet.
I think they should be able to grasp that having a baby is going to change their life. I think a lot of them do realise that but they don't really care. The group at our school think having a baby and getting out of school is much better than sticking around and getting their qualifications.

Shockwave.2CC
23-05-2009, 12:13 PM
We know there are loads but why do you think there are so many?

Lack of sex education
General lack of knowledge
Nothing better to live for
Fashion accessory
"cool" to have a baby
I'm sure you can think of other reasons too. That's just a few from the top of my head. I don't agree with all of them. I'll post what I think once I've seen what a few of you have come up with.

Because sex is gooooood!!
lol
:eusa_danc

GommeInc
23-05-2009, 09:44 PM
I think they should be able to grasp that having a baby is going to change their life. I think a lot of them do realise that but they don't really care. The group at our school think having a baby and getting out of school is much better than sticking around and getting their qualifications.
Benefits do seem like a contributing factor to some of these teens... Quite worrying really...

VelvetClover
23-05-2009, 09:48 PM
I've found that some teenagers have a hard life and just want something to love that will love them back unconditionally, they feel something is missing in their life and hope that a baby will change that.
Peer pressure, drugs and alcohol are all factors that contribute to teenage pregnancies as well I think.

I have several friends who had babies young but they're still great mothers to their children although a few of them I've spoken to about it say they wished they'd waited, even though they love their child and are happy to have them.

Mentor
24-05-2009, 02:00 AM
Teenages like to have sex, hormones see to that.
Teenagers generally want to rebel (thanks again to hormones)
Rebelling often involves drinking, drinking combines with hormones to inpair decision making even futher.
Teenages do what they want (sex), even without the equpiment (condoms) which thanks to drink and hormones seems like a great idea at the time.
= teenage pregancy.

Solution, better sex education more focused on general info about sex rather than ether some wishywashy uninformative noncence or pointless scare tactics (biology is better at the game)
Give out condoms free, if they have condoms when they follow there biological impreative's there far more likely to use em.
Result = less teen pregancy :)

Soy
24-05-2009, 02:01 AM
sex is vury nise trust me

J0SH
24-05-2009, 02:38 AM
Might be lack of sex education, like in America they show you how to put condoms on false penises etc, and I'm in year 10 and I've only done 1 sex ed class which was in PSE and it was about 5 months ago, I've had to learn everything myself.

24-05-2009, 03:19 AM
Theres about 25 girls in my school right now that either have a baby or are pregnant right now.
Id say it just them being dumb and thinking that it cant happen to them, when in reality, it can.

Richie
24-05-2009, 07:12 AM
The guys are silly and don't wrap there willy ? :rolleyes:

I'm 17 and i think i only have got one sex ed class, i learnt everything myself but yeah last sex ed i had was when i was like 10 or 12 or something i think its lack in sex education tbh well in the schools ive been in the sex eduction has been to a poor lexel, also the sex ed thing was only about how boys can keep clean like wth? really ? omg i never knew how to stay clean fgs lol

Caution
24-05-2009, 07:14 AM

I don't think most people that had been raped would want to have a baby that has a Father that's a rapist. I'm not really sure if it's lack of sex education, we've only had 1 lesson in it and it was just how to put a condom on. I don't think a lot of the teachers are comfortable teaching it. People could also be doing it for the free benefits as well.

Catchy
24-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Trust you to bring this up Jakey boi, hehehe! Your gf is pregnant anyway :S:S:S:S She 7months!

Urm I think there is so many because at the time of conception they don't really think about the 'what if' I mean come on lots of people wouldn't to be fair aslong as they're going to get a good bash it's all good! Some may think 'Oh it will be fine we will get a council flat and be a happy little family' I don't think teenagers really understand what it means, they don't understand all the responsibility that comes with being a parent!

For contraception maybe they think "Oh it will be okay I'm not going to get pregnant it's only one time" the ammount of people I've heard say that is shocking!

But yeah I don't know, I don't know anyone who's been in this situation, neither am I, or my boyfriend :-) Ahaha!

Immenseman
24-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Yeah, she doesn't want to find out the sex though. She wants to wait for the day, can't wait to be a father :)

Catchy
24-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Awww! How cooooote! :)

Immenseman
24-05-2009, 12:58 PM
I know, I'm so excited :) I have the images of the scan.

Cryptoo
24-05-2009, 01:08 PM
WHAOW. There is actually loads where I live.
I think it may be, just generally not being safe, though some might feel the need for another person to care about?

Angel-Charlene
24-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Noone ever considers and when I'm watching the news or reading the newspapers it seems like more and more teenagers ages 16 and under are having kids ?!?!?!
Teenagers (with theyre raging hormones, no offence guys) think they're "adult" enough to look after a child.....wrong. You're still learning that drinking vodka then beer at the end of the night will make you puke so...
I was 19, yeah kick me up the ass but I even found it hard at times, it's not easy as it looks.
I agree with Jake, theyre should be more sex education and teenager should be shown the consequences, looking after a stupid robot baby will do naff all. Take them to work in a screaming nursey for a week.... that'll put you off kids for life ;)

They must get attention from having a child like the first month but when the child is growing up, their friends don't want to know them, they prefer to go out to the cinema or w.e.

Raped teenagers are out of the picture here, that's unfair to judge them at all.

RichardKnox
24-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Coming from the teen pregnancy capital of Scotland (maybe Britain) I know that a lot of people around here do it so they get high up on the council flat list, meaning they can move out quicker and that. In fact I'd say at least half of the people here do it for that reason.

luce
24-05-2009, 10:34 PM
In my eyes there is far to much sex Ed that is all we get in our school and they literally throw free condoms at us. If you give them out we're going to use them!?!

They don't teach the right things in sex ed, they teach you to abstain which is never really going to happen they should teach you how to put a condom on so people don't make mistakes. They should also tell you where to get the Pill or help etc not teach you the STIs year after year once is enough god dam it!!

Oh and lastly out culture has decreased the age that people are having sex at, the Media has glamorized sex beyond anything we would have dreamed of 50 years ago. Every paper you pick up it's sex scandal, even movie and TV show even before water-shed has some sort of sexual reference in it.

What used to be a taboo subject has now become the opposite and is disregarded as something you should saved for your loving partner
:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

VelvetClover
24-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Oh and lastly out culture has decreased the age that people are having sex at, the Media has glamorized sex beyond anything we would have dreamed of 50 years ago. Every paper you pick up it's sex scandal, even movie and TV show even before water-shed has some sort of sexual reference in it.

I agree with this. I don't mean to sound like a prude or too PC here, but some of the music videos shown on TV and music channels are really quite appalling - the women are always half naked with their bits jiggling about and fawning over the male performer, grinding against each other/blokes. Nobody seems to be clothed anymore in these videos and almost every song is about sex.
Children and teens watch this stuff constantly and in my opinion, half of these videos are not suitable to show before the watershed, but switch the TV on at midday and you can see a half naked Ciara slithering through Justin Timberlake's open legs and licking at his ear.
I'm not saying this stuff should be banned, some of the videos and songs are good despite what I'm saying here and it's fine for older teens but for under 13-14 year olds I don't think it's very suitable and gives out a wrong impression to impressionable young people that women are sex objects for men and that sex is all about being cool and glamorous.

Berch
25-05-2009, 01:32 AM
It's pretty much all the points you made out you can give someone Sex Ed and stuff but only to a certain point I think it comes down to bad parenting as well if your parents just let you do whatever and go out and do ****, sleep with anyone and generally not clue their child up something is bound to happen and I dont want to offend anyone here incase someone here is pregnant and young so I wont go into detail but I think that dont help and it's generally commen sence if your thinking with your *Cough* *Cough* and not your brain at the time than your dumb really. If you have any brain you will wear protection and prevent the situation. But I will stop incase I fuse an arguement.

Mentor
25-05-2009, 01:40 AM

What used to be a taboo subject has now become the opposite and is disregarded as something you should saved for your loving partner
:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc
Actually from a historical context we are dramatically less sexulised than we are in the past. Its a great statement to make, but totally untrue. It just comes from the video games, tv etc is corrupting everyone vibe (as before tv, no one had sex, was violent or anything like that)

If we go back a little further than the last few 100 years you start to see rather than us having sex younger, where actually doing it much later. 16 now is coincided to young, historically you'd likely be well in to raising a family by that age. When life expectancy is a little under 25 years people don't wait around. Kids aren't coincided adults to much much later than they have been in the past and a lot of childhood now is little more than a social construction.

Wana little proof. Think of the bible's Mary, mother of jesus. Now you imagine her in her 20's 30s. She is estimated (from bibles own dates and figures) to have been 13 - 16.
Difference here is no one bats an eyelid, this was normal 2000 years ago. God isn't branded a paedophile nore is marry a teen mum.

So the whole, we have sex younger now than we did in the past thing is total propaganda.

:Technical
25-05-2009, 01:42 AM
Lack of disclipne.
Now-a-days if a student in school gets shouted at the teacher is in risk of being hit with a chair etc. Back in the 'olden' days it was the students who were scared of teachers and basically all adults. They had to do as they were told.

Although, now a days teenagers think they are adults at a very early age - they think they understand it all etc. Perhaps if they get pregnant they will think its just as simple as letting 'mum' deal with it or "I'll leave school when I'm 16 and get a job - no big deal". They don't think about the consequences or the future.

imo.

Indie-Dan
25-05-2009, 05:58 PM
I've noticed a huge amount of teenage pregnancies recently. I was recently browsing through random people's Bebo profiles one day when all of a sudden I came across this one girl's Bebo who, to be honest, didn't make it half obvious that she was up the duff.
All over her Profile area was things like "SOON MUM TO BE" and "PREGNANT - 24 WEEKS" and she had made various Bebo skins dedicated to girls about to become mothers. Not to mention the entirely new Photo Album she had created to put all the pictures of her scans and her massive tummy.
However one thing really caught my eye. From her pictures, she looked a bit young to be a mum, so I initially assumed she was just young looking. However upon closer inspection to her Bebo username, it had her date of birth - something like 3rd February 1993! Meaning she was only 4 days older than me (16) and she was pregnant, and keeping it! And this isn't the first time I've seen it too.
Personally I think it's wrong. 16 year olds shouldn't be allowed to be able to have kids, kids are a ridiculously large and expensive responsibility and I doubt these teeny mummies have the time or monetary aspects to have kids. Of course many of them will have parents etc that will help them look after them but still, I think it's wrong.
It's kind of like a baby is this season's must have fashion accessory.

PaulMacC
25-05-2009, 07:42 PM
I think even if the government did bring it in (Sex education) the number of teenage pregnancies wouldnt decline significantly. Personally I think they do it just because of peer pressure and stuff

leah
26-05-2009, 12:16 AM
I think it's cos theres so much pressure to have sex now a days and people are doing it younger than ever without proper sex education and they think they won't get pregnant, but evidently do.

Wootzeh
26-05-2009, 04:50 PM
It's exagerated, there aren't that many meh.

GrandTheftAudio
26-05-2009, 09:51 PM
I went to google and typed 'How to', one of the results was how to get pregnant. :neutral:

suzie.w
30-05-2009, 02:45 AM
Its to me a sort of female natural instinct to want babies.

girls tend to fall in love with a guy, and they think oh hes my number one for life and then want to settle down way way to young and then they think they are all grown up women when obviously they are still teens and not ready for the pressure that a baby brings.
not only financial pressure, but sleep deprivation, loss of freedom to go clubbing etc.

I think maybe too much sex is around on tv, mags, internet making teens think that its the done thing to have babies.

I say go out there there is whole wide world to visit and explore and enjoy leave the babies until your older.

Dean
30-05-2009, 08:02 PM
because the UK has the benefit system and teens can easily get free house, free ciggies or w/e just by having a kid.
simples.
because if you think about it, if your 16 and you cba to work, why not have 6 kids and live off our taxes.

Charlottay!
31-05-2009, 08:52 AM
with sex ed though my school gives us more than just 1 class. in my time at my school ive recieved 1 full day on sex and relastionships which covered alot. then ive had around 4 other class talks by nurses and stuff. plus wat we do in R.E too.

ark alost
02-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Ignorance is probably the main factor along with the fact you can get a house out of it.

Japan
02-06-2009, 08:22 PM
One of the reasons why we don't get many sex education lessons is because the teachers are too embarrassed. The only time i've had a sex ed. lesson was when the school brought a sex and relationships nurse in. Someone mentioned sex education to our science and PSHE teachers, they both went bright red and proceeded to do a section on drugs.

Neil
03-06-2009, 09:13 PM
The problem with pregnancies is soley to do with contraception to be honest, condoms are given out for free, fair enough but we can all agree that not only does spending the time getting a condom out and it on ruin the mood but it doesn't feel as good for the boy or the girl as it does without, so most people would choose morning after pill or the contraception pill over it, which we all know aren't as effective, the problem is you can forget to take a pill, you can't rely on them either since neither have the 100% success rate that a condom does if used properly.

Another problem is that if you don't have the fortune to live near a hospital or a pharmacy that gives the morning after pill for free you're pretty much boned unless you have £25 to shell out, which is unlikely most 14-16 year olds do, of course some get money from parents or jobs but few people at that age work and really that is the age group that pharmacys should be looking out for when it comes to it, morning after pill should be issued for free, it would probably lower the pregnancy rate if they were free everywhere for teens.

Of course there is the contraceptive injection and the implant, which really are the best options as far as I see it, have the injection, take the contraceptive pill and it would be very, very unlikely you'll get pregnant or just use a condom, since they are free from Connexions (in the UK, donno about elsewhere) and most hospitals I believe.

High pregnancy rates have little to do with anything other than teens have sex for pleasure, condoms are a small rubber barrier between them and the real pleasure, not hard to avoid using them either, I think during Sex Ed they need to put more focus on alternative methods instead of just condoms.

kuzkasate
04-06-2009, 08:30 PM
I think its more like a fashion tbh because its like nowadays its like everybody wants sex. And people get it and then pops a baby out. I know many people like this... :eusa_whis

Mentor
05-06-2009, 03:08 PM
I think its more like a fashion tbh because its like nowadays its like everybody wants sex. And people get it and then pops a baby out. I know many people like this... :eusa_whis

Your augment doesn't quite add up though, as assuming not all of them are stupid, unless it was the baby (or an std) not the sex they would at least in some cases just used the protection necessarily to prevent pregnancy.

Grimmauld
07-06-2009, 06:02 AM
well.. my french teacher said in french you get paid if you have more than 3 kids.. so :D

Kowther
07-06-2009, 06:07 AM
I think people just wanna look cool by having UNPROTECTED SEX young like at 16.
There's this thing on a friend's bebo that says 100 cases of swine flu and everyone wants to wear a mask, yet millions have aids and nobody wants to wear a condom.
I think that is a great point. Also maybe lack of sex education is a good point that you pointed out. Peer pressure is another thing too.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!