PDA

View Full Version : Swine flu pandemic is threat to school term

efq
12-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Thousands of schools could be forced to close for weeks on end to stem the spread of swine flu, scientists say.
As the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared the first flu pandemic for 40 years officially under way, the Government’s Chief Medical Officer said that “several million” Britons would fall ill with the H1N1 virus.
Sir Liam Donaldson predicted a “huge surge” of cases when children go back to school in the autumn.
Neil Ferguson, an epidemiologist at Imperial College, London, who advises the Government and the WHO, said that widespread illness could lead to schools closing for several weeks, and extensive disruption to businesses and the wider economy. The UN Health Agency decribed the virus as “unstoppable and “unpredictable” after nearly 30,000 cases were confirmed across several continents. So far, only 822 cases of swine flu have been confirmed in Britain, but Professor Ferguson said that the pandemic could mean that 25-35 per cent of the population would fall ill within three or four months, placing severe strain on the NHS.

The virus was likely to be two to three times more deadly than seasonal flu, which kills an estimated 12,000 people each year, he said.
Shutting schools has already been used as a means of slowing transmission of the pandemic, with at least 20 in England and Scotland closing for up to a week after pupils tested positive for the H1N1 strain.
It is estimated that a widespread school closure policy could prevent one in seven cases and one in five among children, while reducing infections at the peak of the pandemic by 40 per cent.
A decision will be not be taken until the circumstances of any autumn outbreak are known, however, because of the measure’s high economic and social costs. Working parents would have to make alternative childcare arrangements for several weeks, adding to absenteeism because of illness.
However, Sir Liam also cautioned that the illness could be so prevalent at the peak of a pandemic that even large-scale school closures could not contain its spread.
The last global flu pandemic, in 1968 — “Hong Kong” flu — killed up to four million people worldwide, including 25,000 in Britain.
Although most cases of illness caused by H1N1 have so far been mild — with 144 deaths recorded worldwide and none in the UK — Sir Liam said that past pandemics suggested that there would be a steady increase of cases over the summer in Britain, followed by large peaks in September/October, or at Christmas.
He added that between 400,000 and 800,000 people became ill in an average flu season, “but [at the peak of a pandemic] you would probably be into several million cases”.
At present, the UK has enough antiviral drugs to cover half the population but orders are in place for 50 million doses. Pharmaceutical companies are working on a specific swine flu vaccine, which will not be available for a few months yet.
The WHO’s decision to raise the global alert level from five to six — officially signalling a pandemic — came after a day-long emergency meeting of health officials to discuss the implications of widespread outbreaks of illness in 74 countries, including a sudden surge of cases in Australia.
Andy Burnham, the Health Secretary, said that Britain’s pandemic plan was already in action and had been modified to contain local outbreaks.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6481905.ece

Wahey
12-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Yay for school being cancelled hopefully, apparently someone near me has Swine Flu and hopefully it'll spread to someone at school lol ( I know it's evil of me to wish this upon someone ) but so far i hate 5th year, so i say bring on the TAMIFLU

Immenseman
12-06-2009, 07:17 PM
I've had a month off and I'd happily see to the rest of the term being cancelled (we have to go back for 3 weeks starting from the 22nd)

jackass
Yay for school being cancelled hopefully, apparently someone near me has Swine Flu and hopefully it'll spread to someone at school lol ( I know it's evil of me to wish this upon someone ) but so far i hate 5th year, so i say bring on the TAMIFLU

Are you being actually serious?

There is no comment to describe on what I think of that post. :rolleyes:

luce
I don't think mine will close because it hasn't even reached Guernsey yet :)

Wahey
12-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Are you being actually serious?

There is no comment to describe on what I think of that post. :rolleyes:
If it'll make you happy, no

but the hard truth is yes, 5th year is a real pain atm

Jam
12-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Oh god. I hate the 6 weeks to start with never mind anymore time off.

efq
12-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Oh god. I hate the 6 weeks to start with never mind anymore time off.
Are you even human?

jimi
12-06-2009, 09:55 PM
I know its around my area and spreading. My mum recently went into hospital and there was like this white board behind the reception desk at A&E and it listed all the patients with swine flu + before you enter the hospital you have to be checked for swine flu + I went past a couple of rooms and they was quarentined off because of the danger of the flu spreading.

Cyndia
13-06-2009, 07:48 PM
I know its around my area and spreading. My mum recently went into hospital and there was like this white board behind the reception desk at A&E and it listed all the patients with swine flu + before you enter the hospital you have to be checked for swine flu + I went past a couple of rooms and they was quarentined off because of the danger of the flu spreading.

Personally, I find that really frightening. I mean, I'm all for you guys getting to enjoy having school off - I just really hope it doesn't mutate and turn into a much deadlier strain (though it's deadly enough as is!).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!