PDA

View Full Version : Car Tints.

Sunny.
15-07-2009, 11:49 AM
So my brother finally got his volkswagen golf mk5.

Now he wants to get window tints, I was just wondering what the law was for tints.

He wants black tints, but could anyone tell me the limit?
Also is it worth getting tints or not?

Its proven to be an advantage apparantly.

GoldenMerc
15-07-2009, 11:54 AM
back windows can be as black as you want i think but the front side windows have to be like clear i suppose no tints :(

cocaine
15-07-2009, 11:55 AM
tints make you look like a drug dealer. sorry.

tdi
15-07-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't like tints, but there's no limit on the back windows/rear screen AFAIK but the front ones come factory tinted on most new cars, it's a mk5 golf so it probably will be. you're probably at the limit. most people take a risk though and just do it.. if you get stopped, though, you'll be made to peel them off.

Sunny.
15-07-2009, 12:05 PM
So itd be best just to do the back 2 windows n the rear screen.

QCumber
15-07-2009, 12:25 PM
ul be more likely to be pulled over by the police for random stop checks ect with tints.

//Tom
15-07-2009, 01:50 PM
u can do the bak 3 as much as u want

hi oli

Sunny.
15-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Yh, il do the back 3, and leave front how it is.

But wudnt it look crap? Or wud it look okay?

GoldenMerc
15-07-2009, 03:07 PM
can you not tint the front side mirrors but only slightly?

Sunny.
15-07-2009, 03:14 PM
You can but the golf have already bin done slightly as default from the factory. So if i apply a tint to the window itl go over the limit.

Might do the back 3 completly black.

e5
15-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Back as you like but front windows and wind screen have to be clear and nothing on at all.

tm
15-07-2009, 03:17 PM
UK law currently states that the driver and front passenger windows must only be treated with a light tint.
The back windows can be treated with any shade.
The front windscreen must be free of any shading, apart from a 6" strip across the top.

Note: Driver, front passenger and windscreen must comply with new visible light transmission regulations. Driver and front passenger minimum 70% V.L.T and windscreen min 75% V.L.T.
70% is pretty much nothing and it's likely they'll already be 70 from the factory.

tdi
15-07-2009, 10:10 PM
it WILL look crap if you tint the back ones and not the front.. if you're gonna tint you may aswell get a light tint on the front windows, the worst that'll happen is you'll get told to remove them.

Yoshimitsui
15-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Im sure you can also get a fine if exceed the limit?

shizzle
17-07-2009, 12:40 PM
I love the MK4/5s!

My dad has tinted two of his car with gradient type tint, it works well with silver cars because it's like a mirror:).

He did before tint all the windows and tinted the main front too, like 12cm to stop the sun going in the front passenger's eyes. I believe there is a restricted amount for the front main window :)

So then he got told (I think) to remove the front windows (near the front passengers) for both cars.

TotalShambles
17-07-2009, 03:14 PM
There has to be atleast, 75% of sunlight still let into the car from the front windows, i dont know how they measure it. I have only been told this so i dont know if it is exactly correct but i know you can tint the front windows.

shizzle
17-07-2009, 05:02 PM
There has to be atleast, 75% of sunlight still let into the car from the front windows, i dont know how they measure it. I have only been told this so i dont know if it is exactly correct but i know you can tint the front windows.
Yeah it's 75%, I don't know my dad told me in centimetres.

tdi
18-07-2009, 01:20 AM
I love the MK4/5s!

My dad has tinted two of his car with gradient type tint, it works well with silver cars because it's like a mirror:).

He did before tint all the windows and tinted the main front too, like 12cm to stop the sun going in the front passenger's eyes. I believe there is a restricted amount for the front main window :)

So then he got told (I think) to remove the front windows (near the front passengers) for both cars.

sorry but fading tints look gash!

shizzle
18-07-2009, 10:53 AM
sorry but fading tints look gash!
Haah, It looks looks quite good actually, depends what one you've seen, and what colour the car is. I suppose some looks better than others. My dad is pro at tinting, no bumps, not even little ones. It is not that nice, but it is alright.

I'll snap or find a picture of his tint later:).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!