PDA

View Full Version : Felipe Massa in life threatening condition

StefanWolves
25-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Yep? undergone surgery to his fractured skull and also has serious concussion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8168807.stm

efq
25-07-2009, 07:36 PM
I heard earlier. Hope he recovers.

I don't see how a car should of been allowed to drive because obv something was wrong before the start to allow a spring to become detached from a car and hit Felipe Massa in the head at 200mph.

Sum it up for people who CBA to read: A spring came off a car, hit Felipe Massa in the head at 200mph. So imagine a kilo of metal hitting you at 200mph.

Slow mo vid after a few seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8vmbOPyp5k&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fchannelbee.com%2Fforums%2F1%2Fto pics%2F35539%2Fposts%3Fpage%3Dlast&feature=player_embedded

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/07/25/article-1202114-05D6FBA6000005DC-374_468x321.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/07/25/article-1202117-05D7660D000005DC-235_306x389.jpg

Immenseman
25-07-2009, 07:38 PM
oh god, hope he recovers.

efq
25-07-2009, 07:42 PM
God, did damage to his helmet.

Immenseman
25-07-2009, 07:43 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8168855.stm

vid on bbc

Catzsy
25-07-2009, 07:48 PM
What a freak accident too. Hope everything goes well for him. Barrachelo must feel awful! :(

efq
25-07-2009, 07:53 PM
It's amazing how the spring is still shooting down the track while Barrachelo is long gone.

Skajo
25-07-2009, 08:03 PM
I was watching it live, he got knocked clean out and didn't slow down a real deal. He seemed alright just before he got airlifted to hospital though - he was waving :S

Geraint
25-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Similar to Henry Surtee last week.

Catzsy
25-07-2009, 08:24 PM

Yes that was just awful - 18 years old. :( RIP

Hecktix
25-07-2009, 08:46 PM

Not really surtees died because a wheel hit him on the head? How's that similar to driving into a wall?

Judge Judy
25-07-2009, 08:47 PM
What a freak accident too. Hope everything goes well for him. Barrachelo must feel awful! :(
he'll probably want to do the same at Germany after the race... get the first flight back to Brazil.

I was watching it live, he got knocked clean out and didn't slow down a real deal. He seemed alright just before he got airlifted to hospital though - he was waving :S
Probably to show fans that he's alright (even though he ain't)/conscious.

Hmm... hope he gets a speedy recovery (oh dear at puns).

efq
25-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Not really surtees died because a wheel hit him on the head? How's that similar to driving into a wall?
Because a kilo of metal hit him(spring) in the head at 200mph :S, the wall wasn't the cause of anything.

Hecktix
25-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Because a kilo of metal hit him(spring) in the head at 200mph :S, the wall wasn't the cause of anything.

Oh, in the report i read it said he drove into the tyre wall...

Very similar accident then, weird.

efq
25-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Oh, in the report i read it said he drove into the tyre wall...

Very similar accident then, weird.
Yeah he got knocked out down the track by the spring and then cause he was unconcious his car kept going straight and then into the wall. But the spring smashed his helmet, fractured his skull and made him unconcious.

Hecktix
25-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Yeah he got knocked out down the track by the spring and then cause he was unconcious his car kept going straight and then into the wall. But the spring smashed his helmet, fractured his skull and made him unconcious.

It's so freaky that two similar accidents can happen so close together :S

efq
25-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Yep and now some sort of improvements got to be made on lose parts breaking off.

Skajo
25-07-2009, 09:07 PM
To lighten the depressed air around this thread:

Heidfeld did terrible!

Cixso
25-07-2009, 09:26 PM
To lighten the depressed air around this thread:

Heidfeld did terrible!

There is a time and there is a place.

Skajo
25-07-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm just saying is all.

I just find it strange how he can be waving his arm in lifefulness one minute before being airlifted to hospital for checks and now be in a life threatening condition the next. I know it can happen but not like that, surely? I'm sure he'll be okay.

Cixso
25-07-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm just saying is all.

I just find it strange how he can be waving his arm in lifefulness one minute before being airlifted to hospital for checks and now be in a life threatening condition the next. I know it can happen but not like that, surely? I'm sure he'll be okay.

Of course it can happen like that. Don't underestimate your human body and organs.

You can be knocked out for 10 minutes for a bang on the head, get up and feel line then drop dead depending how serious it is.

StefanWolves
25-07-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm just saying is all.

I don't think you have quite grasped it? he got hit on the head whilst he was traveling at 180mph, let a lone the speed of which the spring was travelling? maybe 100mph? thats a 280mph bang on the head, that could break your neck, and kill you instantly, and kill you, but he was LUCKY to say the least, the picture of his helmet just after the crash is unbelievable, it even broke his helmet and shattered one side of his face, near his eye, but the helmet has probably saved his life. Yes, he was waving, but then you have to think about it, even if you have a fractured skull, you can still move your arms ect, the only reason he is in a comer is because of the anaesthetic he has been put under for his operations ect.

Can only feel sorry for the guy, gets hit with a combined power of about 300mph, then crashed head on it a tyre wall...

He'll survive, I'm glad that he will, but I am concerned for his future in F1, will take a lot to come back from this.

Good luck Massa!

Cixso
26-07-2009, 12:24 AM
I don't think you have quite grasped it? he got hit on the head whilst he was traveling at 180mph, let a lone the speed of which the spring was travelling? maybe 100mph? thats a 280mph bang on the head, that could break your neck, and kill you instantly, and kill you, but he was LUCKY to say the least, the picture of his helmet just after the crash is unbelievable, it even broke his helmet and shattered one side of his face, near his eye, but the helmet has probably saved his life. Yes, he was waving, but then you have to think about it, even if you have a fractured skull, you can still move your arms ect, the only reason he is in a comer is because of the anaesthetic he has been put under for his operations ect.

Can only feel sorry for the guy, gets hit with a combined power of about 300mph, then crashed head on it a tyre wall...

He'll survive, I'm glad that he will, but I am concerned for his future in F1, will take a lot to come back from this.

Good luck Massa!

Well said.

Meanies
26-07-2009, 12:27 AM
Hope he gets better soon:O

Suspective
26-07-2009, 06:33 AM
Shame it didn't get Vettel instead LOL

Good Luck Mass though, also Button did terrible only 8th.

Skajo
26-07-2009, 08:28 AM

Good luck Massa!

I don't believe YOU grasp that he was WAVING to signify that he was OKAY and then the next thing I know, he's in a life threatening condition.

If I was about to die I don't think I'd wave.

That's all I'm saying, no need to take the moral pissing high ground which is what most people do on here.

cocaine
26-07-2009, 09:08 AM
I'm just saying is all.

peoples conditions can deteriorate you know?

Skajo
26-07-2009, 09:12 AM
I've already said that in my previous posts if you actually read them but you're too quick to take the moral high ground.

Rock
26-07-2009, 11:12 AM
The weird thing is Ferrari announced that he was in a "stable" condition, not a life-threatening one. I think he will be fine and I hope he will make a few of the last few races of the season.

This season is just a bad dream for Ferrari..

Titch
26-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Bit of update for those who follow it: He has emergency skull and brain surgery last night and the C.T scan this morning came back negative, they hope to release a statement during the race build-up.

PaulMacC
26-07-2009, 11:36 AM
What's a C.T scan.
Hope he recovers and can come back one day.

StefanWolves
26-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Apparently he had more scans earlier and they came up negative? don't know what that means, could need more ops.

Good Luck Massa!

Skajo
26-07-2009, 11:53 AM
What's a C.T scan.
Hope he recovers and can come back one day.
Scans the brain for surface liquid and damage.

StefanWolves
26-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Yeah, liquid in the brain = big nono.

efq
26-07-2009, 12:16 PM
He had no brain damage, so thats a good sign. If he didn't have that helmet, he'd have no head.

Cixso
26-07-2009, 12:18 PM
He had no brain damage, so thats a good sign. If he didn't have that helmet, he'd have no head.

Exactly.

Blood, brain everywhere.

efq
26-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I am just watching the F1 live now and a tire just came off another car down the strip, if a car had gone behind him and hit him in the head like the other week then they could of been injured or killed...

They will need to sort somethings out because to have tires coming off the car just like that is too dangerous.

Skajo
26-07-2009, 12:34 PM
I am just watching the F1 live now and a tire just came off another car down the strip, if a car had gone behind him and hit him in the head like the other week then they could of been injured or killed...

They will need to sort somethings out because to have tires coming off the car just like that is too dangerous.
It's motor racing things fly off all the time - it has to be a PRETTY good shot to hit someone on the head. Don't start getting all FIA defensive over the issue because it probably won't happen for another 20 years.

efq
26-07-2009, 12:38 PM
No but car's shouldn't be throwing off tires so easily so often. Fair enough bits debris from stuff or knocks but for your tire to fly off for no reason likely because of lack of pit work securing the tire isn't acceptable.

Skajo
26-07-2009, 12:39 PM
It doesn't happen that often...

Blue
26-07-2009, 12:40 PM
and something like a tired is much easier to see and avoid.

Skajo
26-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Plus it's made of rubber.

StefanWolves
26-07-2009, 12:44 PM

Plus it's made of rubber.

say that to the lad in gp2 that got killed last week cause a tyre hit his head when he was driving.

think before you speak.

Edited by invincible (Forum Moderator): Please don't post to cause arguements.

Skajo
26-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Read my other posts before you 'speak'.

It doesn't happen that often. Before yesterday and last week did you hear of another incident like this? No. Everything in F1 is fine as it is apart from KERS. Nothing needs to be changed. These incidents are just anomalies, accidents.

Edited by Catzsy [Forum Super Moderator]: Please do not post to cause arguments. Thanks.

StefanWolves
26-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Read my other posts before you 'speak'.

It doesn't happen that often. Before yesterday and last week did you hear of another incident like this? No. Everything in F1 is fine as it is apart from KERS. Nothing needs to be changed. These incidents are just anomalies, accidents.

I read your posts Mr.Attitude.

You do know that they are getting rid of pit stop fuelling next year?

Blue
26-07-2009, 12:57 PM
say that to the lad in gp2 that got killed last week cause a tyre hit his head when he was driving.

think before you speak.

I didn't say it's impossible to miss. I just said easier.

Skajo
26-07-2009, 01:02 PM
I read your posts Mr.Attitude.

You do know that they are getting rid of pit stop fuelling next year?
R E A D.

Everything in F1 is fine as it isas it is. Not next year. Not in 10 years time. Now. As it is now.

I do believe you are a troll.

Edited by invincible (Forum Moderator): Please don't post to cause arguements or be rude.

StefanWolves
26-07-2009, 01:14 PM
If i was a troll I wouldn't be raising valid points, I'd just be posting to annoy you, but I'm actually providing a valid discussion.

I was trying to move away from the argument that was going to happen, by talking about changes that are being made next year, but you seem to want to persist in an argumentative manor.

Skajo
26-07-2009, 01:16 PM
I see.

I understand that "Mr.Attitude" is a valid point and one that can raise discussion and not argument. I'm sorry, I was wrong.

Catzsy
26-07-2009, 02:21 PM
I don't believe YOU grasp that he was WAVING to signify that he was OKAY and then the next thing I know, he's in a life threatening condition.

If I was about to die I don't think I'd wave.

That's all I'm saying, no need to take the moral pissing high ground which is what most people do on here.

adamm, it is a well known fact that with head injuries that it is quite common for people to appear well in the first few hours and be able to function normally. This is why people are always observed for 24 hours in hospital for 24 hours after. The brain swells after injury and there can also be bleeding into the brain which can kill a person quite easily and does very often. I understand that he is now serious but stable but he will be sedated for the next 48 hours so that hopefully nothing worse happens.

CJW93
26-07-2009, 03:01 PM

think before you speak.

Forumla 2. Aparently he has improved sop thats good news. Wishing him a speedy recovery

The Professor
26-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Get well soon Felipe, I have shedloads of respect for him after he was so dignified in defeat last season and he certainly didn't deserve this! (Not that anyone does, but yknow)

iAdam
26-07-2009, 09:03 PM
To be honest, his racing days are over. I've seen motogp riders lose careers because of collar bone flicks. If he ever races in F1 again then i'll eat my words, but I stand with my opinion for now.

He will pull through, he'll have the best treatment going.

The Professor
26-07-2009, 09:10 PM
To be honest, his racing days are over. I've seen motogp riders lose careers because of collar bone flicks. If he ever races in F1 again then i'll eat my words, but I stand with my opinion for now.

He will pull through, he'll have the best treatment going.

Depends on the extent of his injuries. As far as we've heard he has a skull fracture, concussion and a large cut near his eye. People recover fully from concussion, so we can exclude that. Skull fractures also don't adversely affect a person once fully healed provided it didn't damage their brain.

For me it comes down to the cut above his eye and how severe that is. If his eyesight has been affected to any real extent it could affect his career, but even then bourdais raced with glasses so it might not be that bad.

I have full confidence in modern medicine to help him make a full recovery :)

xxMATTGxx
26-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Such a shame to be honest. What a nasty accident after watching it live on Saturday. Hope he recovers well! Ferrari did pretty well today getting 2nd If I remember correctly? Wish him and his family all the best.

iAdam
26-07-2009, 09:20 PM
It's not just physical damage, Physcological too, if you slip off a corner on a bike, you will never take that corner as fast as you can again, same goes for F1, if you have an accident your confidence is going to take a huge knock.

xxMATTGxx
26-07-2009, 09:25 PM
It's not just physical damage, Physcological too, if you slip off a corner on a bike, you will never take that corner as fast as you can again, same goes for F1, if you have an accident your confidence is going to take a huge knock.

Yeah I do agree with you a little. We will just have to wait and see. :D

StefanWolves
26-07-2009, 09:27 PM
By nature he is a strong motivated person, I think this accident will have shaken him a lot, but I think he will race again next season, but one thing is for sure he won't race again this season.

-Heart
26-07-2009, 11:27 PM
Sorry to be Dr.Bad News to everyone saying "he'll be fine" but it's looking pritty serious. Ferrari are saying he's stable but they were bound to play it down. Had 2 operations already I think, there's still a chance he could die. Wouldn't be surprised myself.

Even if he pulls through, it'll be a while before he's back out on the track racing again.

Immenseman
27-07-2009, 01:50 AM
yeah i see where you're coming from haz, they're hardly going to fuel all the hype.

i hope he does pull through anyway.

iAdam
27-07-2009, 08:58 AM
By nature he is a strong motivated person, I think this accident will have shaken him a lot, but I think he will race again next season, but one thing is for sure he won't race again this season.

I'll tell you now he will probably not be racing next season after this.

Wahey
27-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Hope he gets better

The Professor
27-07-2009, 09:45 AM

Yeah i see your point but it depends on the person. I'll use the example of Alex Zanardi, he lost both his legs in a serious ChampCar accident at a track in 2001. When he'd recovered and had prosthetic limbs fitted and had his car modified accordingly so he could race it, he went back to the track and competed in a race at that track (albeit only the last 13 laps). According to wikipedia if he had paticipated in qualifying that weekend he'd have qualified 5th which isn't all that bad.

Tbh I hope to god you're wrong, the guy deserves to win at least one world championship :(

Rock
27-07-2009, 10:19 AM
I think his replacement will be Luca Bodeaur (or however you spell it) but it hasn't been announced yet. It was starting to look like Ferrari might challenge to hold on to 3rd place but without Felipe it seems unlikely.

xxMATTGxx
27-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Ferrari chairman Luca di Montezemolo has said he is optimistic about Felipe Massa’s condition after visiting the team’s injured driver in Budapest on Monday. Massa remains stable in hospital following surgery on skull fractures he sustained in his qualifying accident at the Hungaroring on Saturday.

"I'm confident and optimistic about Felipe's capacity to recover, also because he has excellent medical care and I want to thank the staff at the AEK hospital for the work they're doing,” said di Montezemolo after meeting with doctors, as well as Massa’s wife and parents.

"It was a serious and incredible accident, but thank God this is a different situation compared to 1976 when I went to see Niki Lauda after the accident at the Nurburgring,” added. “We have to wait, but the signs are encouraging."

Massa was scanned again on Monday morning without problem and hospital officials have reported he is now able to move his hands and legs. The extent of reported injury to his left eye has not yet been confirmed.

"Our priority is the recovery of Felipe as a man,” continued di Montezemolo. “He has been with us for a long time and he is part of the family and not just of the team... We're all waiting for him at Ferrari and I'm convinced that we'll see him again in one of our single-seaters and that he will be again on top."

Although it looks almost certain Massa will not be racing at the next round of the championship in Valencia next month, di Montezemolo said the team would not be rushing into selecting a stand-in driver.

“I'm heading back to Maranello with (team principal Stefano) Domenicali, who will make suggestions how to substitute the Brazilian driver until he returns, which I hope will be very soon. We'll make a decision when the time is right, considering that there's a break of a month now."

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/7/9690.html

The Professor
27-07-2009, 04:55 PM
http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5456220,00.html

Felipe Massa's Formula One career appears to be hanging in the balance following confirmation he has suffered some damage to his left eye.

Massa is currently in intensive care at the AEK military hospital in Budapest after suffering a skull fracture following a freak accident on Saturday during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Although the 28-year-old, still in a medically-induced coma, has shown signs of improvement after undergoing emergency surgery, it has now emerged Massa may have sustained eye problems.

If that is the case, and the Brazilian is unable to see properly in the future, it will mean his days in motor racing are over.

Professor Robert Veres said: "He has suffered some damage to the eye.

"We don't know if he'll be able to race again.

"I don't know (if he can return). It's too early to say about his future.

"We don't know the extent of the damage. Without an operation it's very hard to evaluate its function."

Veres also confirmed on Monday afternoon Massa remained sedated "to protect his brain", which has apparently experienced some swelling, but he is out of serious danger.

Meanwhile, Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo visited Massa in hospital on Monday and insisted no decisions would be taken over the Italian marque's direction for the rest of the season until the driver's situation was clarified.

"Our first priority is Felipe's recovery, Felipe's progress and so on," he said.

"Felipe's been an important member of the Ferrari family for many years, since he arrived as a kid, so we all hope he can come back soon."

Di Montezemlo added: "(Team principal Stefano) Domenicali has to think and make good proposals for the future.

"We don't want to wait too long for Felipe, but our first priority now is to find out about Felipe, and only at that moment will we take a decision."

Doesn't sound good :(

StefanWolves
27-07-2009, 04:57 PM
If he has damaged his eye then it's game over for his racing days.

CJW93
27-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Dosent look good, but i am still hopefull about seeing him next year in a ferrari

Bef
27-07-2009, 05:17 PM
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/7/9690.html

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5456220,00.html

Doesn't sound good :(
two very different accounts. the first sounds promising, the second doesnt... hope he recovers well.
the first one says hes moving his hands and feet, the second says they still hav him sedated?

Rock
27-07-2009, 06:11 PM
First one is the official Formula One website. They are either trying to play it down, or PlanetF1 (second) is making way too much of it. Like Di Motezemlo said, we first have to found out about his condition.

Rock
27-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Ferrari dedicate podium to Felipe reports Sky Sports.

Dedication

Team principal Stefano Domenicali dedicated Kimi Raikkonen's second place behind Lewis Hamilton in Sunday's race to Massa.

Domenicali, who visited his driver immediately after the race, said: "We dedicate the result to Felipe.

"At this time all our thoughts are with him and his family, and I think this sentiment also applies to those who are close to him and to fans all over the world.

"Kimi drove a great race, and the team worked in impeccable fashion, concentrating on the job despite what happened.

"We got the best result we were capable of, but please allow me on behalf of everyone at Ferrari to send our best wishes to Felipe.

"We love you and we are all thinking of you."

During the race itself, Massa's mechanics displayed a pit board in his garage with the message 'forza Felipe siamo con te' - 'strength Felipe we are with you'.

Massa's injuries stem from an incident during Saturday's second qualifying session when a spring from the suspension on Rubens Barrichello's Brawn GP car fell loose and hit his helmet at an estimated speed of 162 mph.

Concussed but with his foot still pressed firmly on the accelerator pedal, Massa then straightlined into a tyre barrier.

Recovery

Raikkonen, who joined Domenicali, Barrichello and Brawn GP team principal Ross Brawn on a visit to the hospital, is convinced his team-mate will make a full recovery.

"It's a sad thing that's happened from a very unlucky situation," the Finn said.

"But as long as we race with open cockpits our heads are always the first place that's going to be hit if something is flying around. It is part of racing and we all know that.

"What happened was really unfortunate, but luckily enough he's more or less okay.

"He's probably going to be a hundred percent fine in a little time. We in the team all hope he's going to be fine and come back soon."

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww74/rockdog03/10_2339241.jpg

:(

The Professor
27-07-2009, 09:49 PM
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090727193150.shtml

The latest reports from the Budapest hospital AEK about the condition of recovering Ferrari driver Felipe Massa are very positive.

It is said that the Brazilian, seriously injured when flying debris struck the front of his helmet during Hungarian GP qualifying last Saturday, has been woken from his induced coma and will not be put unconscious again.

Another scan on Monday afternoon showed that the 28-year-old's brain swelling had subsided, moving the medical team to wake him up and withdraw the artificial breathing.

Massa is said to now be conscious and has spoken his first words since the crash. A full recovery is now expected, with the biggest concern now being the condition of his damaged

left eye.

There were reports on Monday that Massa's optic nerve behind his left eye had been damaged to an unspecified degree.

It is however believed that his personal doctor Dino Altmann will not now push for the transfer from Hungary to Paris, given Monday afternoon's positive news indicates a far shorter hospitalisation.

He's out of the medically induced coma and seems to be speaking so its just the eye that's the main worry now :(

Imo it speaks volumes for the standard of F1 safety that it takes a freak accident to hurt someone seriously, and even then they've managed to pull through :)

StefanWolves
27-07-2009, 09:50 PM
F1 is very safe, but you can't stop freak accidents like these, and fortunately they do occur and will keep occurring, they cannot be stopped. :(

Rock
28-07-2009, 06:19 AM
The formula 1 website also reports he is awake and progressing well.

iAdam
28-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah i see your point but it depends on the person. I'll use the example of Alex Zanardi, he lost both his legs in a serious ChampCar accident at a track in 2001. When he'd recovered and had prosthetic limbs fitted and had his car modified accordingly so he could race it, he went back to the track and competed in a race at that track (albeit only the last 13 laps). According to wikipedia if he had paticipated in qualifying that weekend he'd have qualified 5th which isn't all that bad.

Tbh I hope to god you're wrong, the guy deserves to win at least one world championship :(

I hope i'm wrong also but to be frank, it'll be his decision whether he comes back at the end of the day and an accident like this takes so much toll on your mind it's unbelievable and he'll of lost his no fear attitude. However if he has lost some of the memory of the crash then he will be alot better than he would of been.

StefanWolves
28-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Hes set to be released in 10 days, fantastic news, glad to see hes awake and well now. (doctors brought him out of the medically induced comer.)

source ~ http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12433_5457421,00.html

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!