PDA

View Full Version : Eh, wrong choice?

PaulMacC
26-07-2009, 03:50 PM
For 6th form I picked Double Business Studies & ICT. A good combo together when presented on a C.V though Im starting to regret picking Double Business Studies. First off I didnt do it for GCSE, you dont need to do it for GCSE to do it at A Level though it worries me that Im going to be far behind all those who did it at GCSE. My friend who is now going into upper sixth said he didnt do it for GCSE and it's easy for him and great fun. I know this may sound like a typical excuse but I know only 2-3 people in the whole year who've picked it, there was a list a while back saying how many people picked what and there was like 6 beside Double Business. Im alright with ICT as it was easy to go along with for me and I would like to go into that field in the future. I dont think I can even change courses at this point >_<
I'd be okay with Single Business Studies, ICT and I was going to pick Religion/Politics. Again changing courses is not an option now, any advice?
Does anyone do Double Business, any course would be helpful as Im sure they are all usually nearly the same.

Jackk
26-07-2009, 03:56 PM
have you already enrolled?
you can change your subjects on the day of enrollment and some 6th forms allow you to do like a trial period of 2 weeks on the chosen course and if you dont like it you can switch, try and inquire about this to see if that is possible?

PaulMacC
26-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Yeah I have, I'll check but I remember at an assembly they said you cannot change.

Catchy
26-07-2009, 06:24 PM
I did business studies at GCSE and hated it. It was just so dull and I fount it so boring especially the finance unit. Also we was messed around by teachers so we all only JUST passed as we'd done no work in the first year. Will you have an exam or will it be coursework? Or both?

Fehm
26-07-2009, 07:34 PM
You'll be able to change. Im going to sixth form next year, we got told that if you get there on that first day, get to the lesson and think, this really isnt what I was expecting, just go and ask, its a minor change to their timetabling software, and a slight change in your career plan.

Honest answer paul, I'd choose a wider range of subjects.. Because like me you want to into Business and ICT I guess, I chose music on top of that because its a subject I enjoy and feel i'm good at, and English Language because its a skill that most employers look for...

Choose more options! Don't restrain yourself! :P

Jackbee
26-07-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm doing business and ICT together aswell.. I hope it goes well :l

StripedTiger
26-07-2009, 10:02 PM
My first year of sixth form i dropped ict cos i didnt know anyone in the class. One year down the line, most of the people in my close circle of friends were in that class and this year ive took it again and fly through it.

THe real advice id give is maybe take it on til the end of AS and see how you feel / your results? I know it seems daunting but tbh, people do make friends fast even when it seems really unlikely. A smaller class i think would be nicer because you become a lot more involved with each other.

I dunno what else to suggest if you cant change courses..

The Professor
27-07-2009, 10:04 AM
yeah what she said ^ Take the opportunity to get to know new people. We have 5 people in our double IT class and we're a real mix of people who you wouldn't expect to get on outside of school but we know each other pretty well now and it's all good :)

Soy
27-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Double business studies? Your better off taking Law, Business studies and ICT. That would look even better on your C.V

Law Is a good option to take with business studies, so I was told

Kardan
27-07-2009, 02:43 PM
For students that picked a subject for A-Level but didn't do it for GCSE they hyave catch up work to do with the teachers at my college, or at least that's how it works if you did GCSE Science and want to do A-Level Chemistry. (GCSE Science students only do 1/3 of the Chemistry work in GCSE Chemistry).

Anyway, for us it's not too late to change courses as we haven't got our GCSE results yet and we can change courses depending on our results, e.g if we don't get the right grade to take the course.

I don't do business though, so I can't help you there, but it's worth asking to see if you can change courses :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!