PDA

View Full Version : Do you let people drive your vehicles?

GoldenMerc
27-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Well alot of my friends are getting cars, motorbikes and stuff. some of them let their mates drive them and stuff (who dont have cars or insurance or even licences :P) so what do you do, have you in the past ever let anyone drive yours?

Immenseman
27-07-2009, 01:20 PM
i haven't passed. i've driven my mates cars though yeah.

Mint
27-07-2009, 01:22 PM
I haven't passed but I can drive. My brother has been driving for about 7 years and has not once let anyone else drive one one of his cars. Not even me and I'm his brother. -_-

Fifteen
27-07-2009, 01:27 PM
I havn't passed my test yet, my dad and my friend have let me drive their cars only on short journeys though. My dad has a 4 x 4 so you have to be 21 to be insured on it.

The other day my friend let me drive her car, we were about a 5 min drive from my house as I drove past this junction, a police car pulled out behind and were us following us (Never usually any police where I live) We were well scared! then I turned into my road, thankfully they didn't follow us!

Mint
27-07-2009, 01:31 PM
I havn't passed my test yet, my dad and my friend have let me drive their cars only on short journeys though. My dad has a 4 x 4 so you have to be 21 to be insured on it.

The other day my friend let me drive her car, we were about a 5 min drive from my house as I drove past this junction, a police car pulled out behind and were us following us (Never usually any police where I live) We were well scared! then I turned into my road, thankfully they didn't follow us!
Was your friends car automatic? I remember when I first started driving manuals, stalling on nearly every gear change lol.

tdi
I drive loads of people's cars, but I'm very selective when it comes to letting people drive mine.

Immenseman
i never stalled in gear change.

i used 2 stall pulling away

GoldenMerc
27-07-2009, 01:32 PM
iv never driven a automatic car but it must be boring ;[

Immenseman
27-07-2009, 01:33 PM
neither have i. we have this big van thing i think it's a mazda bongo thats automatic. wud be fun 2 drive.

GoldenMerc
27-07-2009, 01:37 PM
bongo
aha
what a wicked name
i wana get a multipla

Fifteen
27-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Was your friends car automatic? I remember when I first started driving manuals, stalling on nearly every gear change lol.

I've never drove a automatic, never stalled doing a gear change just pulling away sometimes and at traffic lights - lol

Immenseman
27-07-2009, 01:39 PM
lol it's a right beast.

omg dni i hadnt stalled for ages and like i was out with my dad and i stalled at traffic lights i was like nooooooooo

GoldenMerc
27-07-2009, 01:39 PM
my mate rolled down a hill cos he thought he was in gear and he wasnt, he was panacing so he didnt pull his handbreak up :P

Nixt
27-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Multiplas are DISGUSTING. I have done but I am very selective but who, where and when.

GoldenMerc
27-07-2009, 01:41 PM
im gna buy a multipla as my second / resting car

e5
27-07-2009, 01:48 PM
im gna buy a multipla as my second / resting car
U G E R L Y. :(
They really are hurrendous lol.

GoldenMerc
27-07-2009, 01:50 PM
they are well and truely awesome

Dentafrice
27-07-2009, 01:51 PM

Not really, my truck is an automatic. Just put it in drive and go.

I let only a certain few people drive mine. Considering it's size, it takes some practice.

Metric1
27-07-2009, 02:31 PM
I let certian people drive my car, they must have a valid license, insurance and they must be a good driver. I have my own car so if I go anywhere I have my car and people are like Ashton, can you take me here, can you take me there and if I don't feel like it I either say no or I'm like do you want to take my car? Most of my friends are excellent drivers, so I don't have a problem with them driving my Accord because I know they won't **** around with it but if I'm using mom's car I can't let anyone drive it. I know she would be really upset if I let somebody else drive it because it's her car and if it was ever crashed it would be a ***** to have sorted out. My mom has another car, actually two but one needs to be inspected so she can be out on the road and I know she would freak if she saw somebody else driving her car! Most of my friends respect that but I have had people say, Ashton can I drive your mom's car it's the nicest car I've ever been in! I just can't let anyone drive it, except for Jenn, but mom lets her drive it!

When I was younger (before I had my license) I would drive my friends moms car! It was so much fun because the element of danger and getting caught was there. We did get caught once, I was driving and her moms boyfriend drove by and saw us and told her mom, needless to say she was PISSED! It didn't stop us from doing it though!

kasi
22-08-2009, 04:00 AM
lmao no >:|
my friends are terrible drivers

J0SH
22-08-2009, 06:11 AM

When you drive automatic you realise what a **** you were for using a clutch :P

GommeInc
22-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Mum can drive mine and I have let her a few times. I'll only let friends have a go in the garden though. I'm not illegals :D

Urgh, evil cars. They lack so much control and acceleration, and don't get me started on fuel consumption!!

g
22-08-2009, 11:57 AM
i never let my friends ride my bicycles

Metric1
22-08-2009, 01:01 PM

LOL, you put it in drive and gOoOoOOOooOO

Dentafrice
22-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Mum can drive mine and I have let her a few times. I'll only let friends have a go in the garden though. I'm not illegals :D

Urgh, evil cars. They lack so much control and acceleration, and don't get me started on fuel consumption!!

Haha, how do they lack so much control and acceleration? Automatic transmissions these days are computer controlled.

You can opt to wire in your own gear changer, and upshift-downshift at the push of a button, NO clutch required. So it does the exact same thing.

Plus, you can lock the torque converter up after 2nd gear in an automatic, and automatically upshift all the way to 5ft gear locked up overdrive.

The automatic cars in the UK might suck, but I guarantee on the 1/4 mile my truck will beat whatever you have ;P

Black_Apalachi
22-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Eww we don't even consider letting each our drive our cars. Except one time lol :P. Cba explaining the whys of it all but my housemate let my other housemate drive her BMW Mini to Sainsburys to get her something, (he has a VW Polo and license etc etc). Anyway I went with him, and on the way back out of the car park he accelerated into a 90 degree turn in the car park where a wall was straight ahead and put my side of the car into the wall lol. I got out pissing myself laughing and it was written off.

On the bright side - it's one fake Mini off the road :D. My classic Mini ftw <3

Metric1
22-08-2009, 05:34 PM
The four cylinder Accord sedan comes with a 5 speed manual transmission, same with the coupe. Select Accord coupes come with a V6 and a 6 speed manual tansmission. I have a sedan because I'm cool. As for lacking in acceleration, the V6 has more passing power than any 4 cylinder Accord, and I think it sacrifices 1-2 MPG over a manual tansmission. My work car is a 2008 Toyota Highlander and it has what is refered to as a gate type shifter, it has park, reverse, neutral, drive, but when you're in drive you can hit the shifter to the left and select the gear you want by pushing the selector up or down. On the highway I can gear down as low as two, until the car slows down to about 25 it unlocks the first gear.

GommeInc
22-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Haha, how do they lack so much control and acceleration? Automatic transmissions these days are computer controlled.

You can opt to wire in your own gear changer, and upshift-downshift at the push of a button, NO clutch required. So it does the exact same thing.

Plus, you can lock the torque converter up after 2nd gear in an automatic, and automatically upshift all the way to 5ft gear locked up overdrive.

The automatic cars in the UK might suck, but I guarantee on the 1/4 mile my truck will beat whatever you have ;P
I'd rather do it all myself so I can pick the best gear for the sitatuation to either save petrol or get better performance. All this having to wait for the automatic box to do everything for you takes the fun out of driving :P Also, after playing with my uncle's, mum's and my dad's automatic cars, I can honestly say that they're the most unstable cars in the world. You don't feel in control at all :P

Dentafrice
23-08-2009, 01:53 AM
I'd rather do it all myself so I can pick the best gear for the sitatuation to either save petrol or get better performance. All this having to wait for the automatic box to do everything for you takes the fun out of driving :P Also, after playing with my uncle's, mum's and my dad's automatic cars, I can honestly say that they're the most unstable cars in the world. You don't feel in control at all :P
Well them cars must suck then :P

Having to wait for it to decide everything? We don't have to wait hahaa.

ihatehash
23-08-2009, 02:25 AM
They must have liscence, insurance and I must trust them :P

Metric1
23-08-2009, 08:59 PM
http://www.handa-accessories.com/accord/centertrim.jpg

See how easy that looks? That isn't my car though, I don't have aftermarket faux wood trim with cut-out's for non-existent seat heater controls. I have all factory faux metal trim instead and black leather. Get in the car, turn the key, put your foot on the brake, select the gear, take your foot off the brake and press on the gas!

http://www.edmunds.com/media/reviews/top10/features.commuter.cars/04.honda.accord.shifter.500.jpg

http://reviews.cnet.com/sc/31812955-2-300-DT2.gif

That is far too complicated for me.

http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/toyota_highlander_sport_4x4_2009_interior_gearshif t.jpg

The best of both worlds.

http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/mercedes_benz_s_class_s63_amg_2009_interior_gearsh ift.jpg

Easiest BY FAR, my mom's isn't an AMG so she doesn't have the cool paddle shifters, we just have the standard car.

I can drive a standard, I learned on a 2006 Jetta TDI. My mom forced me to learn the basics incase I was ever in a situation where I had to drive. It's a good thing to know because you will never be stranded with a car you don't know how to drive. The only place a standard car would be fun would be on the highway because it's not stop and go traffic. New York City is NO place for a standard car.

tdi
24-08-2009, 12:57 AM
sorry but manual transmission is so much better than automatics, fair enough the auto's are 'nicer' to drive if you're driving comfortably or on a long journey, but i'd never own an auto purely for the control and responsiveness you get with a manual transmission, like for example you can drop a gear or two and you're away (although I still have enough acceleration in 6th, but not as much as if I drop to 5th/4th), same applies for steep hills and the like.. gear changes are really good too, depending on the driver.. good enough as they are but I've got a B&M short shifter which makes it that bit faster.. gear**** looks so much better than the 'joystick' you get with an auto too.. :)

Dentafrice
24-08-2009, 01:24 AM
sorry but manual transmission is so much better than automatics, fair enough the auto's are 'nicer' to drive if you're driving comfortably or on a long journey, but i'd never own an auto purely for the control and responsiveness you get with a manual transmission, like for example you can drop a gear or two and you're away (although I still have enough acceleration in 6th, but not as much as if I drop to 5th/4th), same applies for steep hills and the like.. gear changes are really good too, depending on the driver.. good enough as they are but I've got a B&M short shifter which makes it that bit faster.. gear**** looks so much better than the 'joystick' you get with an auto too.. :)
You can do the same thing on automatic transmissions today.. shift up or down.. electronically.. no clutch.. easy driving.. with the full control of a manual.

Also, automatic transmissions with paddle shifters/slapsticks are much easier to maintain too.. slap some ATF fluid in there.. and you're ready to go.

No more 5th gear going out on you, your amazing TQ Converter does that for you.. and hardly slips at all unless you give it hell.

Recursion
24-08-2009, 06:56 AM
The last Audi automatic we had lagged behind pulling away at junctions etc, problem is the computer still shifts the gear too late/early even when you put it into "manual".

Black_Apalachi
24-08-2009, 07:15 AM
http://www.handa-accessories.com/accord/centertrim.jpg

See how easy that looks? That isn't my car though, I don't have aftermarket faux wood trim with cut-out's for non-existent seat heater controls. I have all factory faux metal trim instead and black leather. Get in the car, turn the key, put your foot on the brake, select the gear, take your foot off the brake and press on the gas!

http://www.edmunds.com/media/reviews/top10/features.commuter.cars/04.honda.accord.shifter.500.jpg

http://reviews.cnet.com/sc/31812955-2-300-DT2.gif

That is far too complicated for me.

http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/toyota_highlander_sport_4x4_2009_interior_gearshif t.jpg

The best of both worlds.

http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/mercedes_benz_s_class_s63_amg_2009_interior_gearsh ift.jpg

Easiest BY FAR, my mom's isn't an AMG so she doesn't have the cool paddle shifters, we just have the standard car.

I can drive a standard, I learned on a 2006 Jetta TDI. My mom forced me to learn the basics incase I was ever in a situation where I had to drive. It's a good thing to know because you will never be stranded with a car you don't know how to drive. The only place a standard car would be fun would be on the highway because it's not stop and go traffic. New York City is NO place for a standard car.

Ha, you should see the gear stick in my car! Americans have no excuse to crash.

What do you do when you need to over-take...?

Metric1
25-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Ha, you should see the gear stick in my car! Americans have no excuse to crash.

What do you do when you need to over-take...?

step on the gas.

my car has a 3.0L v6 so it's got plenty of passing power!

Shockwave.2CC
25-08-2009, 03:02 PM
I dont let anyone drive my Peogeut Speedfight 2 because if the get caught by a speed camara its me who gets the point on the licence and a fine.

or

If they get stopped by the police, i don't have the insurance to let another person drive my vehicle.

le harry
25-08-2009, 03:39 PM
I have an automatic Subaru Impreza Rx however I got my manual license. I'm not really after acceleration and handling and whatnot because I'm not a street racer :S Seriously if you can feel the difference in handling between an auto and a manual then you're drifting or something haha.

Nonetheless, manual cars are are better for mucking about in. Besides, my automatic subbie pretty much blows away all the try-hard kids who worship their manuals around my area. Quite the lulz.

As for the whole faster gear changing argument, in the past few years, automatic cars are being engineered to have faster gear changes then a manual so the whole acceleration argument is pretty much void.

tdi
26-08-2009, 11:37 PM
auto's are still a no no in my opinion.. takes the fun out of driving IMO.

Black_Apalachi
27-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Hell I've even got a manual choke - now THAT'S driving :D.

Btw do you need a different licence to drive an automatic?

GTA-Andy
27-08-2009, 12:38 PM
"if you can feel the difference in handling between an auto and a manual then you're drifting or something"

Not that a manual change has ever changed my handling characteristics, but the difference between a manual and automatic is immense, the ability to drop a couple of gears is incredibly useful.

Anyway, auto's require no skill, and are frankly boring.

GommeInc
27-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Since when were automatic cars comfortable :S I've been in an automatic BMW M5, Chrysler Grand Voyager, Vauxhall Corsa and a few other automatic cars, and they are all incredibly uncomfortable to be driven in. I actually feel as if the car will come off the road and kill me at any second, because they lack the "hold to the road" power of a manual gear box. They're so unstable, seriously. I've felt more comfort in a B registration Volvo, which wins the comfort game hands down AND power (as in, can hapilly pull down a tree, not acceleration).

When you go round a corner in an automatic, you feel as if you're in a speed boat, especially when in a tall car. They lack the "third gear" cornering you find in a manual car.

And it seems everyone is in agreement with all automatic cars are boring? :P

tdi
27-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Since when were automatic cars comfortable :S I've been in an automatic BMW M5, Chrysler Grand Voyager, Vauxhall Corsa and a few other automatic cars, and they are all incredibly uncomfortable to be driven in. I actually feel as if the car will come off the road and kill me at any second, because they lack the "hold to the road" power of a manual gear box. They're so unstable, seriously. I've felt more comfort in a B registration Volvo, which wins the comfort game hands down AND power (as in, can hapilly pull down a tree, not acceleration).

When you go round a corner in an automatic, you feel as if you're in a speed boat, especially when in a tall car. They lack the "third gear" cornering you find in a manual car.

And it seems everyone is in agreement with all automatic cars are boring? :P
seconded (:

J0SH
28-08-2009, 10:24 PM
To be honest I agree about manual feeling smooth, I've been in a few old bangers that are manual and they do drive pretty smoothly.

You
11-09-2009, 04:46 PM
I teach a lot of my mates how to drive, although, i only let them do it in a car park but i've swapped cars with a mate before and we drove about 60 miles in each others car without insurance.

9y
12-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Iv let one of my mates take my car for a spin round the car park but thats it.

rolwand
16-09-2009, 04:37 PM
I agree wit tdi. Only good can drive my car.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!