PDA

View Full Version : Car Stereos?

Black_Apalachi
09-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi, I'm just wondering when buying a car stereo (the whole thing, not just a head-unit), is there different kinds/sizes for different cars or are they generally the same?

Cheers x

N!ck
09-09-2009, 11:38 AM
What do you mean by the whole thing not just the head unit. The head unit is the thing that's in your dash. By the whole thing do you mean speakers as well?

And yes they're all a standard size. You can get ones that are double the size with a bigger screen etc if you have room for that.

Black_Apalachi
09-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Oh I thought the head-unit was the bit at the front that clips on and off? Sorry lol. Well I mean the front bit and the main bit that goes in the dash yeah.

So if I'm getting one for a classic Mini, I don't need to worry about sizes as long as I don't get the double sized one?

Metric1
09-09-2009, 01:11 PM
You shouldn't have to worry about sizes, you may need an install kit though with a trim kit to cover the gap.

N!ck
09-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Oh I thought the head-unit was the bit at the front that clips on and off? Sorry lol. Well I mean the front bit and the main bit that goes in the dash yeah.

So if I'm getting one for a classic Mini, I don't need to worry about sizes as long as I don't get the double sized one?

Ah, the whole thing is the head unit. That bit that clips off is just the fascia.

And I really couldn't tell you what the sizing is like in an old mini. All newish cars are the standard size, but I don't know about cars like that.

Black_Apalachi
09-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Well it doesn't go into the dash as such. There's a metal casing which screws on underneath the dash and houses the stereo.

Thanks for the advice, +rep (to both).

Markeh
09-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Well it doesn't go into the dash as such. There's a metal casing which screws on underneath the dash and houses the stereo.

Thanks for the advice, +rep (to both).

Do you already have a stereo wired up in your (very nice :D) Mini? I'd assume seeing as you have a mounting bracket already fitted that you might have.

Out of curiosity, what head unit are you looking at?

Black_Apalachi
09-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Nope I don't have anything, just the bracket and I'm not looking at any yet. I'll just be getting the cheapest I can find that has an iPod input. If there are no cheap ones then I'll get a tape deck and get one of those casette iPod adapters :P.

You
11-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Try Halfords or ICE Direct. You'll just a single din h/u.

Black_Apalachi
11-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Try Halfords or ICE Direct. You'll just a single din h/u.

Cheers. Holy crap you've got more rep power than Jake!! haha :P

9y
12-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Check first to make sure there isnt an official one specifically made for your car. If not it should just be standard. I know the Ford KA you have to get the full faceplate and it costs about 300 quid.

Black_Apalachi
12-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Right, OK thanks :).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!