PDA

View Full Version : Should AUSTRALIANS Have Been Conscripted in WW1?

VirtualG
25-09-2009, 06:53 AM
It's pretty much the title, we are only talking about AUSTRALIANS and NEWZEALANDERS btw, so stay on topic :) What are your reasons for and against it? Ill start off with some reasons for and against
Pro - Britain was our mother country and they needed suppourt
Con - ANZAC's died for a country 20000 Kliometres away
Con - Family's couldn't cope with out their "bread winner"
Pro - Australia was making the world a better place (in some peoples opinions)
Pro - The battle of Gallipoli forged Australia's and New Zealands name into the history books

Mrak-Face
26-09-2009, 02:00 AM
As we were allied to the British army we were obliged. I think it was the right choice.

Abo****ely horrible how so many diggers lost their lives but they fought for a cause. We have what we have today thanks to them.

-:Undertaker:-
26-09-2009, 11:46 AM
If the British Empire had been dissolved, the Japanese would of taken Australia, just like they took British Burma and so forth for a short period, except it would of been permanent.

VirtualG
03-10-2009, 02:26 AM
As we were allied to the British army we were obliged. I think it was the right choice.

Abo****ely horrible how so many diggers lost their lives but they fought for a cause. We have what we have today thanks to them.
Yes we were allied, and apart of their empire but why do we have to protect a country with a much bigger population thats 22000 km away?

If the British Empire had been dissolved, the Japanese would of taken Australia, just like they took British Burma and so forth for a short period, except it would of been permanent.
No, Im sure your wrong their. The cause of World War Two was the great Depression and that Germany had sufferred it worse than anyone so they decided to start World War Two (this is when Italy and Japan joined in) so that they could have conquered smaller countries for their resources, If we hadn't suppourted Britain in World War One then there would have been no world war two, therfore no japanese attack. If Britain had won, then Im pretty sure they wouldn't have just let go of one of the most resourceful nations in the world to the japanese, so that comment was just blown out of the water :)

-:Undertaker:-
03-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Yes we were allied, and apart of their empire but why do we have to protect a country with a much bigger population thats 22000 km away?

No, Im sure your wrong their. The cause of World War Two was the great Depression and that Germany had sufferred it worse than anyone so they decided to start World War Two (this is when Italy and Japan joined in) so that they could have conquered smaller countries for their resources, If we hadn't suppourted Britain in World War One then there would have been no world war two, therfore no japanese attack. If Britain had won, then Im pretty sure they wouldn't have just let go of one of the most resourceful nations in the world to the japanese, so that comment was just blown out of the water :)

I'm afraid i'm not wrong at all, The Japanese aimed solely to create an Eastern Empire, and Australia which would of been poorly defenceless without British backup would of been a great target, with its great natural resources and position for naval bases. When I talk of dissolved, I mean the British Empire defeated - if the Empire would of been defeated so would Australia and other Imperial/Commonwealth realms.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!