PDA

View Full Version : Physics for Chemical Engineering

LoveToStack
01-10-2009, 06:40 PM
To anyone who has looked into or is doing chemical engineering at university, how relevant is physics for the course? I know that things such as thermodynamics and laws dictating how fluids flow etc, and even some quantom mechanics I hear, play a part in the course which are all physics related but to what extent do they come into it?
Getting a higher in physics shouldn't be a problem, I've never found it hard but it would mean I have to take an extra year at school or at college to get said higher. I just don't really want to spend that time doing physics only to get into chemical engineering and find that I didn't need it. I know it would probably benefit me having it but I'm really asking if it is mandatory.

N!ck
02-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Chemical Engineering is a fairly difficult and intensive degree (that's a good thing). I have some friends doing Chem Eng (first years) and by the sounds of it you do bits from all sciences (more chemistry and physics than biology of course).

Physics isn't mandatory, but it will definately be helpful (possibly more in the later years). Physics is, of course, the best subject though (as a Physics student I'm not biased at all :P).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!