PDA

View Full Version : Same-Sex Parenting

RandomManJay
07-10-2009, 12:46 PM
I'm doing an assessment for one of my modules and same-sex parenting is the topic, were not actually looking at the attitudes but the response to the expression of a minority opinion from an in/out-group point of view. So basically I thought the issue itself would be a good topic to discuss on the forum so here is it :P, sorry if its already been done.

So discuss :D!

Nixt
07-10-2009, 01:02 PM
I am a homosexual male and agree, to some extent, with same-sex parenting. I personally think that there should be nothing against same-sex couples raising children. Damn it, there are thousands of children desperate for a home and if two men or two women can give them a stable home environment why should they not be allowed to do so? In my opinion it is beneficial to everyone.

The only problem I'd be worried about is the impact on the way children were treated at school. I wouldn't want my child to get teased for "having two dads". Therefore if I were to adopt I would be "Uncle Garion" rather than Dad, I think.

RandomManJay
07-10-2009, 01:06 PM
I am a homosexual male and agree, to some extent, with same-sex parenting. I personally think that there should be nothing against same-sex couples raising children. Damn it, there are thousands of children desperate for a home and if two men or two women can give them a stable home environment why should they not be allowed to do so? In my opinion it is beneficial to everyone.

The only problem I'd be worried about is the impact on the way children were treated at school. I wouldn't want my child to get teased for "having two dads". Therefore if I were to adopt I would be "Uncle Garion" rather than Dad, I think.

I agree with you completely here, the issue of the child being at a disadvantage in school etc. is due to the values which are still held onto by society (or rather the majority of society), but if same-sex parenting becomes common place, then that issue would gradually dissolve, the only problem is asking how long would it take to dissolve :S.

Nixt
07-10-2009, 01:08 PM
I agree with you completely here, the issue of the child being at a disadvantage in school etc. is due to the values which are still held onto by society (or rather the majority of society), but if same-sex parenting becomes common place, then that issue would gradually dissolve, the only problem is asking how long would it take to dissolve :S.

Yes exactly. Homosexuality is becoming more and more accepted into society, and an increase in same-sex parenting would speed up the process, I believe. Unfortunately there are always going to be critiques!

-:Undertaker:-
07-10-2009, 01:31 PM
I am afraid the attitude would not disappear as is common myth, children do not bully by taking in to account social attitudes and to try to change the mind of a child by 'easing' the process is wrong and does not work. The child would be bullied over it, I am 100% sure of it and that is not fair to inflict that on a child. Equality also must extend to the welfare of children, and that is something that is being overlooked.

I think maybe in twenty to fifty years it will be more or less accepted, but as for now; its nowhere near, especially in lower school. You can give kids all the equality lessons and videos you want, at the end of the day they will still think its weird and will let that be known, kids are kids.

RandomManJay
07-10-2009, 02:13 PM
I am afraid the attitude would not disappear as is common myth, children do not bully by taking in to account social attitudes and to try to change the mind of a child by 'easing' the process is wrong and does not work. The child would be bullied over it, I am 100% sure of it and that is not fair to inflict that on a child. Equality also must extend to the welfare of children, and that is something that is being overlooked.

I think maybe in twenty to fifty years it will be more or less accepted, but as for now; its nowhere near, especially in lower school. You can give kids all the equality lessons and videos you want, at the end of the day they will still think its weird and will let that be known, kids are kids.

I'm not saying that we ease the value in and turn the previous one into common myth. As a value grows more popular, people (and children as well) would get used to the idea until eventually their value towards it is similar to any other value, for example; black and white people were once divided by the simple fact that they were black and white, black people would go to different schools, different work places and bars etc. now that is no longer the case as the value that white and black people are different no longer is a dominant value and people have accepted that there is no value, that we are equal. This trent was eventually followed by the legalisation of homosexuality and same-sex marraige/civil partnership, and will undoubtably be followed by same-sex parenting, the question to ask is how long would it take for this value to become accepted and whether or not children should be forced to endure this until that time comes.

GommeInc
07-10-2009, 02:34 PM
It's an unbelievably complex discussion. It will never fade away, the "bullying" or comments made by children to a child with same-sex parents, because the majority of children in a school would have a mother and a father in their lives, so naturally when one of these children look at the child with same sex parents they would think "Why are there two daddies/mummies?" or the lack of the father or mother figure, depending on the innocense and naivity behind the child. It will always happen, children are honest and will come out with these things - you cannot suggest to the parents of these children to educate them, because they WILL ask these questions and never properly understand. As far as I see it, same-sex couples should be allowed to adopt, and if they fail to hold onto this promise, they suffer the same consequences as opposite sex couples.

The only problem really is the stereotype, which is quite accurate within male same sex couples is, are they commited to one another to look after this child? Men are naturally born wanderers/wonderers, so naturally they're just looking for good sex, you see it everywhere, but that shouldn't excuse that some men are commited to their commitments.

Luckily, our generation is quite open to this, compared to the older generation that are still holding onto the facts and background behind things like Gay Pride, which alot of the younger generation see as heterophobia because what it meant is dying away and it is now just an open parade with colourful, stereotyped homosexuality icons, like the rainbow flag, the colour pink and baby blue, and drag queens. Although the history is still there, its purpose died out years ago. That's not suggesting homophobia will die out completely, because everyone has their own reasons to hate certain cultures or people, sometimes its just the person in general, like gay bashers (who in turn just hate homosexuals anyway).

That's my opinion at least :P

.wickedsus.
07-10-2009, 02:41 PM
It's an unbelievably complex discussion.

Hardly imo. Totally agree with Undertaker... I think the parents are being totally incosiderate for the future of 'their' child.

The child would be bullied over it, I am 100% sure of it and that is not fair to inflict that on a child. Equality also must extend to the welfare of children, and that is something that is being overlooked.

QFT

07-10-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm not saying that we ease the value in and turn the previous one into common myth. As a value grows more popular, people (and children as well) would get used to the idea until eventually their value towards it is similar to any other value, for example; black and white people were once divided by the simple fact that they were black and white, black people would go to different schools, different work places and bars etc. now that is no longer the case as the value that white and black people are different no longer is a dominant value and people have accepted that there is no value, that we are equal. This trent was eventually followed by the legalisation of homosexuality and same-sex marraige/civil partnership, and will undoubtably be followed by same-sex parenting, the question to ask is how long would it take for this value to become accepted and whether or not children should be forced to endure this until that time comes.

No, they should not.

alexxxxx
07-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Well I know of several people who's parents have split up and one has become homosexual. People don't really insult them for it or attack them for it, they sort of understand that it's an unusual situation. Perhaps they are the minority, i don't know. I think that the government shouldn't say yes or no either way. Say an older child (13/14/15) wants to move out of care and is willing to live with a gay couple, why should social services stop them making that choice? Younger children might not understand exactly what a homosexual is and I think that homosexuals should be allowed to adopt, but, as with other people, their lifestyles don't interfere with the child's ability to grow up without hassle, just like heterosexuals and they shouldn't be positively discriminated.

Ardemax
07-10-2009, 04:06 PM
if they don't pressure them into being gay aswell, then im sure it's fine

Inseriousity.
07-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Children do not bully by taking in to account social attitudes

Yes they do? They will take the social attitude of their parents mostly and imitate their values and beliefs. If a parent says that 'all homosexuals will burn in Hell' and a child with same-sex parents comes to the school, this would have no impact on the child? It's true that it wouldn't bother them as much as it would society, as the victim would just be another person to have control over but to disregard social attitudes when the bully is surrounded by them sounds wrong to me. Can you elaborate because maybe I misunderstood?

As for same-sex couples adopting, I see no problem in this. There are many children in homes who would rather have at least someone regardless of their sexuality or the situation. If they love the child like any heterosexual couple would, is there a problem with that? Maybe they will get bullied, maybe they won't but everyone gets bullied over something and a child should not be denied a home just because a couple are the same sex. A solid family structure is not restricted to heterosexual couples and to deny a same sex couple of a child would also be denying the child to a possible (not 100% but still possible) good future.

07-10-2009, 06:07 PM
if they don't pressure them into being gay aswell, then im sure it's fine

You cannot be forced into being gay, yet again you do not have a clue what you are talking about, let alone what planet we are on.

Yes they do? They will take the social attitude of their parents mostly and imitate their values and beliefs. If a parent says that 'all homosexuals will burn in Hell' and a child with same-sex parents comes to the school, this would have no impact on the child? It's true that it wouldn't bother them as much as it would society, as the victim would just be another person to have control over but to disregard social attitudes when the bully is surrounded by them sounds wrong to me. Can you elaborate because maybe I misunderstood?

As for same-sex couples adopting, I see no problem in this. There are many children in homes who would rather have at least someone regardless of their sexuality or the situation. If they love the child like any heterosexual couple would, is there a problem with that? Maybe they will get bullied, maybe they won't but everyone gets bullied over something and a child should not be denied a home just because a couple are the same sex. A solid family structure is not restricted to heterosexual couples and to deny a same sex couple of a child would also be denying the child to a possible (not 100% but still possible) good future.

How ignorant of the affect on the child, do you know how sensitive some people are and how it can effect them. Of course people are bullied, for being nerds and so on but most of them things can be changed, changing your parents cannot. I know for a fact if a child has same-sex parents he'll be deprived of a normal childhood through no fault of his own. These issues take time, no awful government advert, education program or rights act will stop it. It comes from the peers and the parents, and it is something which will eventually be phased out, mainly with this upcoming generation now.

I said it before, equality must count for both sides and children come first and always.

Inseriousity.
07-10-2009, 06:24 PM
How ignorant of the affect on the child, do you know how sensitive some people are and how it can effect them. Of course people are bullied, for being nerds and so on but most of them things can be changed, changing your parents cannot. I know for a fact if a child has same-sex parents he'll be deprived of a normal childhood through no fault of his own.

Of course I know how people can be sensitive but not every child is. There are many children in the care of social services who would very much like to have a family and it's insensitive to not give them that priviledge, regardless of the sexuality of the parents.

07-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Of course I know how people can be sensitive but not every child is. There are many children in the care of social services who would very much like to have a family and it's insensitive to not give them that priviledge, regardless of the sexuality of the parents.

A child aged 14 or below cannot make a decision like this, especially when removed from the real world. I know not every child is, some children can appear tough but are sensitive - too much of a risk to play with lives.

Ardemax
07-10-2009, 06:41 PM
You cannot be forced into being gay, yet again you do not have a clue what you are talking about, let alone what planet we are on.

yes you can
your parents have quite an affect on the way you grow up

so nice try

07-10-2009, 06:44 PM
yes you can
your parents have quite an affect on the way you grow up

so nice try

I'm afraid that doesn't stand up, theres no way a child who has gay parents would suddenly become attracted to boys just because his parents are gay. If that was the case, we wouldn't have any gay people because they all have straight parents, meaning in your logic they would also be straight.

RandomManJay
07-10-2009, 06:48 PM
What a load of rubbish, who ever's told you that knows **** all about developmental psychology.

Ardemax
09-10-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm afraid that doesn't stand up, theres no way a child who has gay parents would suddenly become attracted to boys just because his parents are gay. If that was the case, we wouldn't have any gay people because they all have straight parents, meaning in your logic they would also be straight.

you don't read my posts properly, so i won't bother writing a proper comment back..

i said gay parents will have an affect on their child's life... which is sorta true

10-10-2009, 11:55 AM
you don't read my posts properly, so i won't bother writing a proper comment back..

i said gay parents will have an affect on their child's life... which is sorta true

Actually you said..
if they don't pressure them into being gay aswell, then im sure it's fine ..in which you are saying that they could somehow make the child gay, which is totally wrong and not true. While having same-sex parents will not make a child gay, it will have serious problems on the childs life, concerning when he/she is in school they would have a hard time.

nemesis9k
10-10-2009, 03:40 PM
I think same sex parenting is a form of governmental social experimentation. We don't know what the effects are because it's not been done before. Personally I feel we are going to get a lot of 'messed up' children in the future because of this. I hope they are allowed to sue the government for millions when they are older. The government is being completly immoral to disregard the welfare of children to carry out experimentation and in the name of 'equality.'

Xoim
12-10-2009, 04:03 PM
This isn't an experimentation...
I personally think All the well for Same-sex parenting.

Simply because I defys the stereotypical family off the 21st century.

And the Chances of raising the kid Gay are straight are the same chances as a Stereotypical family.
Tbh. The parents may hav an influence in the kids Sexuality but it is very slim.
I think, that rights for gay couples has to a step forward for the better.

Ardemax
12-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Actually you said.. ..in which you are saying that they could somehow make the child gay, which is totally wrong and not true. While having same-sex parents will not make a child gay, it will have serious problems on the childs life, concerning when he/she is in school they would have a hard time.

not making them gay, but having another side on their decisions.

luce
13-10-2009, 06:27 AM
I dont think you should be able to grant children to two people who can't naturally reproduce together. It just seems un-natural and in my books shouldn't happen.

I also believe that two people who can't reproduce together shouldn't be together since that is our main purpose as organisms it's disregarding human nature :)!

Bun
13-10-2009, 07:24 AM
nah it's not right, it's not fair on the kid.

adaym
13-10-2009, 10:23 AM
no thanks

Ardemax
13-10-2009, 03:15 PM
even though my religion doesn't agree with it, I'll be ok with them unless they do something... odd

Honor-Branch
20-08-2014, 09:53 PM
cool

Edited by e5 (Forum Super Moderator) Please do not post pointlessly.

hairpins
20-08-2014, 11:22 PM
yeh if dey luvin 4 a lil bbe mcmufin y nat!!!!!!!?
jenda dunt mata if dey nise pplz n problum

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!