PDA

View Full Version : Product Design Coursework. +REP

RyanDOT
16-10-2009, 07:03 PM
I got a few questions, it would be great if they were sensible answers. +REP

What does it mean by Design Specification including Evidence? (My theme is Entertainment + Learning)
What does it mean by Analysis of Research?
Can you give me some questionnaire questions regarding about learning and entertainment for young children (toddlers)?

Thats all hopefully, thanks!

Thread moved by iAdam (Forum Super Moderator); From 'Discuss Anything'

Ardemax
16-10-2009, 07:16 PM
(sorry if this is bad help lol)

well design specification is your basics of the design (do you know that part?) so your design specs can include pictures and stuff, and for the evidence of it you can use prototypes (if you're at that stage) or just you design guides/making guides.

sorry if it didn't help a lot lol

Accipiter
16-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Aled basically nailed it with the design spec, take pictures, or make a flow chart (make sure you don't put date on flow chart) they need to believe it was made before hand :P and for research and **** make bibliographys / webographys.

Analysis of research will be analysing what you found in your research like writing a brief of what you found out.

how does your child learn best?
Do you think your child learns better through television or talking?
Does your child often get involved in sing-a-long programs?
Does your child play learn through musical toys or interactive toys? e.g. (picture of cow - makes cow noise) or (triangles go in the triangle hole :P)
Do you think your child is more entertained by bright colours?
Do you read to your child?
If so how long for?
Does your child prefer watching child programs or playing with toys?

most of them sound lame but they'd probaly help.

Alkaz
16-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Last year I got an A for my AS Product Design, I was taught that:
Design Specification:
Outinining all the aspects for your product i.e. client, location, materials, environment, funticon, size etc.
Research Analysis:
Evaluating your research, primary + secondary research, questionaires, initial ideas, initial modelling etc.

RyanDOT
16-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks. I owe voiceover rep...

What does Ergonomics mean and what to do?

Caution
16-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks. I owe voiceover rep...

What does Ergonomics mean and what to do?
Ergonomics is the way the user/owner communicates with and uses the product. E.g. this (http://www.slipperybrick.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/logitech-mx-revolution.jpg) mouse has been designed ergonomically as it gives the user more comfort.

RyanDOT
16-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Going to start on my 'Flow-Chart', and don't know what to include.

My product is a toddlers guitar which lets them play and learn how to play the guitar.

Theme = Entertainment/Learning

Alkaz
16-10-2009, 08:47 PM
For the flow chart you have to go through every process that you went through in the manufacture of your product. Each stage, has to have a quality control question to make sure that you checked each stage to go on to the next.

RyanDOT
16-10-2009, 08:49 PM
I done ACCESS FM in full detail, should I still have to do the flow-chart..

Alkaz
16-10-2009, 08:54 PM
ACCESS FM, is really just a simple design specification. If you want a good grade, do the flow chart. Its essential to show your full understanding of what you have to go through to make your product. This can be easier to do this as you actually make your product as you can add each step as you do it.

+ Ye, ergonomics is basically the thought process to make an item most comfortable for the user of it to use. For example, a kettle, the handles are one of the best ergonomic examples. They contain heavy, hot water so you need to make sure that no one will be able to drop it very easy. They think about how the person holds the kettle in there hand, how comfortable the handle is, how thick the handle is to maintain a good grip, the pouring spout to ensure that water just doesnt pour out but its easy enough not to have to tip it in wierd ways.

RyanDOT
16-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Alright, thank you so much everyone!

Alkaz
16-10-2009, 08:58 PM
You're welcome. BTW What level is this for?

RyanDOT
16-10-2009, 09:01 PM
GCSE.........

Alkaz
16-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Oh rite ok, are you doing the new or old syllabus?
Old, you need about 30 pages.
New, you need about 20 really good pages.

Ardemax
17-10-2009, 08:41 AM
thnx for the rep

hope you do well!

RyanDOT
17-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Oh rite ok, are you doing the new or old syllabus?
Old, you need about 30 pages.
New, you need about 20 really good pages.

Erm the new one.

I already did 10 pages of written work, I gotta do 5 pages of design work soon.

Jam
17-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Your not allowed to have over 20 pages supposedly, I don't know what they do about using the other side of the paper though.

Alkaz
17-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Last year for my AS I did 45 pages :S:S

RyanDOT
17-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Your not allowed to have over 20 pages supposedly, I don't know what they do about using the other side of the paper though.

Last year for my AS I did 45 pages :S:S
WOW, what grade you got for that?

Alkaz
17-10-2009, 02:05 PM
A for the coursework
A for the practical.

RyanDOT
17-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Very nice indeed.

I got just one problem before I start designing my work. My Design Specification is quite messed up, my teacher said I should include some evidence and give a reason why...

I wrote the following:

The problem around entertainment is that it’s just all about fun, but in some matter’s it could be great for learning as well. Everyone get’s entertained in their life but why not at such a young age? So I will be designing a musical instrument for toddlers in whom they will get entertained and learning at the same time. Learning an instrument at a young age can benefit them when they get older.

CHA!NGANG
17-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Yeah Last year I did 40 pages and for GCSE I did about 38 and got an A* at GCSE and 92% at AS Level. Thing is though I mess up big time with the exams and get low 70's which meant I got 84% Overall when I could have got 90%.

Trust me on this, work hard on your portfolio, get it done early. Work harder on your exam. I know the exam is worth less, but the portfolio isn't hard, it just takes time and effort and is stressful but you can always get a decent grade in it as you have your teachers to guide you and you can do it over your own time and do it well. The exam though you need to put effort in yourself.

Alkaz
18-10-2009, 12:34 AM
I suggest that you use something along these lines for each of your pages:

INTRO / DESIGN BRIEF
TASK ANALYSIS
PLAN OF RESEARCH
PRIM RESEARCH
PRIM RESEARCH
SEC RESEARCH
SEC RESEARCH
MATERIAL RESEARCH
RESEARCH ANALYSIS
QUESTIONAIRE
RESULTS
SPECIFICATION
INITIAL IDEAS 1
INITIAL IDEAS 2
INITIAL IDEAS 3
INITIAL MODELLING
DEVELOPMENTAL QUESTIONAIRE
DEVELOPMENT
DEVELOPMENT
DEVELOPMENT
ORTHOGRAPHIC
EXPLODING DIAGRAM
ONGOING EVALUATION
PLAN OF MAKING
PLAN OF MAKING
PLAN OF MAKING
DIARY OF MAKING
DIARY OF MAKING
INDUSTRIAL PROCESSES
INDUSTRIAL PRODESSES
EVALUATION
EVALUATION
TESTING
TESTING.

Obviously, some of the pages you would have to do double of as its only GCSE. You should aim to complete like 2/3 pages a week. If you need help with understanding anything or what them pages mean ^ then dont hesitate to ask me :P

Black_Apalachi
18-10-2009, 02:00 AM
Alkaz's advice sounds pretty good and yeah, ergonomics relates to how to product is designed in order to maximise the user's experience and ease of using it.

Do you guys get yours marked like this?: When I was doing this at GCSE, after our teacher had marked them all, the examining body selected three of us for our coursework to be sent to them to be marked. If they decided to grade these differently to what the teacher gave, it affected everyone else's grades. And two of the chosen ones were these two girls who did no work and what they did do was terrible, so it sucked really.

Alkaz
18-10-2009, 02:03 AM
I'm sure that they randomly pick 2/3 depending on the class size and mark them. If the examining body agrees with the grades from the teacher then they will normally give the rest of what the teacher said. If not, they will normally all get checked by the body.

RyanDOT
18-10-2009, 10:14 AM
In my school, everyone's coursework gets checked by the examining body, if they find two coursework similar or they havn't been sourced. The whole year fails and get's a U

RandomManJay
18-10-2009, 10:50 AM
In my school, everyone's coursework gets checked by the examining body, if they find two coursework similar or they havn't been sourced. The whole year fails and get's a U

Wow, that is really harsh, I wouldn't like to be in that school :(. In mine, the teachers marked them and sent a few that were selected by the exam board to see if their grading was fair (or brutally evil ;)), except of course in Sixth Form where my classes weren't as big and all were sent off :), but even if there was plagarism, only the people involved recieved failing marks.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!