PDA

View Full Version : Button linked with McLaren

Immenseman
23-10-2009, 10:51 AM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12433_5645892,00.html

It was breaking news on BBC sport too, a lot more reliable than Sky Sports.

Jenson Button has been linked with a move to McLaren next season where the newly crowned world champion would team up with his predecessor Lewis Hamilton.
Button, who clinched this year's title in Brazil on Sunday, has yet to sign a new contract for 2010 with Brawn GP, with talks apparently reaching an impasse.
The 29-year-old's £6m wage demands could prove a stumbling block for the small team, while Vodafone-backed McLaren could easily afford the Brit to drive alongside Hamilton, who is on £15m a year.
McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh did little to quash the rumours, telling the Daily Mail: "We've talked to a number of drivers.
"It wouldn't be appropriate to say more than that. We'll hire the two best drivers available to us as we always have."
McLaren are on the look-out for a new driver with Nico Rosberg and Kimi Raikkonen two of the drivers linked with the manufacturer in recent months.

Thoughts? :O

Hecktix
23-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Hamilton wouldn't allow it.

At the end of the day wherever Button goes he's got to be the teams number 1 driver, after all he's the world champion.

I don't think Lewis Hamilton would be too happy to be shoved into the second drivers seat when he's looking to regain his title.

McLaren have no option but to honour Hamilton's wishes.

Immenseman
23-10-2009, 11:57 AM
why does he have to be #1? i know he's world champion n all but can't he still be second to hamilton? even if i was world champion i'd rather be #2 in mclaren over #1 in brawn

StefanWolves
23-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Arghh was just about to post this.

At the end of the day wherever Button goes he's got to be the teams number 1 driver, after all he's the world champion.

I don't think Lewis Hamilton would be too happy to be shoved into the second drivers seat when he's looking to regain his title.

McLaren have no option but to honour Hamilton's wishes.

I don't see why Hamilton wouldn't allow it. He's a superb driver, he would want the best team mate possible to push him all the way, not to mention they are good friends off the track.

Hope he does go to McLaren if I'm honest, after last year he deserves it, but I can still see Rosberg going to McLaren though.

Hecktix
23-10-2009, 12:09 PM
No two team mates can have a successful title battle without one having the upper hand of being the number 1 driver in the team.

It wouldn't be an ideal situation for Hamilton or Button.

And lets face it, McLaren have been a superb team this year:rolleyes:

The only thing that's put them up the sharp end (and not too often really...) is Lewis' driving ability.

adaym
23-10-2009, 12:40 PM
No two team mates can have a successful title battle without one having the upper hand of being the number 1 driver in the team.

It wouldn't be an ideal situation for Hamilton or Button.

And lets face it, McLaren have been a superb team this year:rolleyes:

The only thing that's put them up the sharp end (and not too often really...) is Lewis' driving ability.
Button & Barrichello this year :rolleyes:

-Heart
23-10-2009, 12:48 PM
why does he have to be #1? i know he's world champion n all but can't he still be second to hamilton? even if i was world champion i'd rather be #2 in mclaren over #1 in brawn
Your kidding, right?

Immenseman
23-10-2009, 12:54 PM
i wouldn't have said it if i was. i'd choose that any day of the week. currently on £3 million a year, mclaren would basically double this. looks like they'll have a much more competitive car next year, bigger budget.

StefanWolves
23-10-2009, 01:11 PM
McLaren would quadruple it.

Hecktix
23-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Button & Barrichello this year :rolleyes:

you could hardly call it battle

adaym
23-10-2009, 02:31 PM
you could hardly call it battle
well no because a battle is defined as a 'hostile meeting between opposing forces'. so well done on that account.

back in the real world, however, barrichello was the closest to challenging button and brawn didn't stop him from doing so otherwise he wouldn't of won as many races.

CJW93
23-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Button can drive a good car and win but not a bad car. Say for example McLaren start the year with a car that doesn't have the ability to wins races, button will flop. I feel as if Hamilton will always be the #1 at Mclaren as he has such a fantastic relationship with the team. I also feel that Hamilton is better than Button

Flamedragon3
23-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Well I can't see Button wanting to part with Brawn after they have resurrected his career out of the blue, and they seem such a stronger team than McLaren at the moment. Also if he were to join McLaren, I don't see too much of a problem as this will only help Hamilton as Kovalinen has been a racer that has lacked support for Hamilton, thus letting rival teams such as Ferrari racers Massa and Raikonnen come close to winning the title in 2008 and Massa winning it in 2007.

Anyway, I thought Raikonnen was returning to McLaren?

adaym
23-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Button can drive a good car and win but not a bad car. Say for example McLaren start the year with a car that doesn't have the ability to wins races, button will flop. I feel as if Hamilton will always be the #1 at Mclaren as he has such a fantastic relationship with the team. I also feel that Hamilton is better than Button
No ******* **** Sherlock.

Black_Apalachi
23-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Why? I mean, why would he want to go to McLaren? I'm surprised Hamilton isn't even looking to leave.

StefanWolves
23-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Hamilton will never leave McLaren, he's been there since he was like eight.

Why would he go to McLaren? massive fan base, huge history, second biggest car maker in F1, massive pay check, race with/against the best driver in F1 - and the guarantee of being in contention to retain his title next year.

Cause I GUARANTEE Brawn will not be up their next year, it'll be back to Ferrari/McLaren/Renault.

No brainer in my opinion.

Jordy
23-10-2009, 10:03 PM

McLaren have no option but to honour Hamilton's wishes.lol what rubbish. Hamilton is a far superior driver, to put it into perspective, Hamilton's first win was his 6th Formula 1 race. Button's first win was his 113th Formula 1 race. You may well say that Hamilton had better cars but it's so obvious Hamilton is a miles better driver.

i wouldn't have said it if i was. i'd choose that any day of the week. currently on £3 million a year, mclaren would basically double this. looks like they'll have a much more competitive car next year, bigger budget.2nd means nothing in Formula 1, it's 1st or nothing. You make millions in Formula 1 no matter who your with, most of it from sponsors, winning the championship is priceless.

lBlue
18-11-2009, 12:37 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8363892.stm

Sort out the K.E.R.S system and they'll be pretty much unstoppable imo.

Judge Judy
18-11-2009, 12:41 PM
All teams agreed not to use KERS next season lBlue btw.

Good news I guess, kinda expected it :P Looking forward to this line up for next season, regardless of it being 100+ days.

lBlue
18-11-2009, 12:47 PM

Good news I guess, kinda expected it :P Looking forward to this line up for next season, regardless of it being 100+ days.
Shows how much I take note of F1 apart from watching it. :P

Jam
18-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Merc were too interested in a German team, and now its McLaren with an all british team and Mercedes with a german team + Ross.

Button will be out on his arse in a year or two's time, depending on how long Kimi can wait.

Black_Apalachi
20-11-2009, 01:22 AM

Good. It's not Need For Speed so there shouldn't be any silly N2O-like boosts :@. Fair play the technology for KERS is pretty amazing, but maybe try and make use of it in road vehicles to make them more economical (if it can be designed to automatically distribute the energy evenly rather than a boost button lol). I'm glad it's out of F1.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!