PDA

View Full Version : Work Experience

Dusty-09
01-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Yeah so I'm looking for a good place to work, any suggestions will be helpful and good ideas will be repped :)

Swinkid
01-12-2009, 05:28 PM
There should be a system for work experience from your school.
My School uses something called WEX

kk.
01-12-2009, 05:38 PM
my school didnt have one but it might now.
what do you want to do when youre older? try for somewhere like that.

Dusty-09
01-12-2009, 05:41 PM
We were told to find it ourselves on our own I'm stuck for ideas, I wana to something related to business but nothing :( But I don't mind doing something else

kk.
01-12-2009, 05:48 PM
well, the normal choices are supermarkets, schools, banks, and retailers. just start ringing up and asking :)

Dusty-09
01-12-2009, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't mind a bank hmm..

kk.
01-12-2009, 06:49 PM
i went to a bank, it was quite boring because i couldnt do much, but useful to help me decide what i plan on doing in the future.

BeanEgg
01-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Theres two sorts, one is a self-placement, and one is done via your school and borough through a website.
Anyway, if it's a self-placement, this about what your ambitions are. What industry would you like to get into? Is it practical? Is it more communication? etc.

Richie
01-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Radio station
Fire-fighter
Police

Aim for the best then if that fails head to tesco ;)

Firehorse
01-12-2009, 07:58 PM
I wouldn't mind a bank hmm..

not a very good choice, they would never trust you with money or accounting so you'd end up opening mail or making coffee. Unless you plan to actually rob the bank that is :O ;)

kk.
01-12-2009, 08:37 PM
not a very good choice, they would never trust you with money or accounting so you'd end up opening mail or making coffee. Unless you plan to actually rob the bank that is :O ;)

actually thats not true. when i worked at barclays for a week, i watched them sell mortgages, how they deal with customers, put cheques through the system, made sure bundles of notes were counted correctly, made some books balance, ordered some money from securicor, and fetched coffee :P

Sunnily
01-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Depends on you tbh. I worked in retail and i loved it even though it was at Matalan.

Dusty-09
01-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Gah Work :eusa_wall I'm gonna ring up HSBC, Barclays, Natwest tomorrow if they don't work out off to the Apple store and if that doesn't work out I guess I gotta go to another store

Firehorse
01-12-2009, 10:24 PM
actually thats not true. when i worked at barclays for a week, i watched them sell mortgages, how they deal with customers, put cheques through the system, made sure bundles of notes were counted correctly, made some books balance, ordered some money from securicor, and fetched coffee :P

:P

on my work experience I was so bad at making coffee they gave the job to the other guy on work experience lol. I was in a technicians office with a server room behind. took apart a few computers and fixed some problems etc..

Jamesy
01-12-2009, 10:45 PM
I know it could be considered 'lame' but ask your parents about places they work. Or friends that they know etc, I did my work experience in the graphics part of the company my dad works for (printing firm) and it was a bloody good two weeks.

galbabe
21-12-2009, 12:47 PM
i went on my work expeirence last week and i went to my old primary school

Charlottay!
22-12-2009, 12:26 PM
I spent 2 weeks at an Outdoor education centre. stayed there each week. was amazing cause i got to improve my own skills in rock climbing and stuff. Best 2 weeks that.

GoldenMerc
25-12-2009, 07:43 AM
i worked at a web design place called sincordia, total rubbish company

Technologic
25-12-2009, 03:29 PM
I have done 1 week in a vets, got 2 more booked and 5 weeks on various farms.

Fun times for me.

Xosi
25-12-2009, 11:00 PM
I work at a roller skating place. I work at the front desk. I'm the DJ and I work the register. (Concessions and entry.) It's fun! ;)

Inseriousity.
26-12-2009, 09:56 PM
I worked in my secondary school for a week. Yeah not really inspiring place but it was easy to get to (I go there everyday), I know the people (I go there everyday) and.... I managed to get an extension on my coursework when no-one else did because "of all that work you did during your week experience." Result. :8

I do actually wanna become a teacher though so it's okay. :D

Good luck anyway!

Homosexual
26-12-2009, 10:17 PM
I have work experience soon (April :P) and I contacted IBM for work experience. They seemed happy to do it, but I was given a place in offices four hours away, so I can't do it, but they seem good :)

Special
26-12-2009, 10:27 PM
I hated mine. But my friend went to Boots and he thought it was really good

I would reccomend Boots

chantellehugs
27-12-2009, 12:02 AM
I want to do a placement at the BBC Studios, but it's just that there are no placements in the West Midlands, which really sucks, everything's in London..
Do something exciting and fun if you're not sure what you want to do when you're older, :)

dbgtz
31-12-2009, 06:45 PM
I'd want to go to Lionhead studios, all you do is test games all day :P But too far and it's full. It's the p take living 1 hour from London, (the Lionhead studios in guildford so don't be stoopido).
I'm going somewhere crap.

Homosexual
31-12-2009, 06:48 PM
dbgtz, a gaming place sounds brilliant. I've stolen your idea.

Zak
01-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Previous schools
Clothes shops
Gaming shops
Supermarkets
Garage
Some sort of commercial company?

depends what you're interested in really, try to work somewhere which interests you

Alkaz
01-01-2010, 04:00 PM
I wouldnt really say to work in any kind of shop as everyone I know that worked in shops had to do all the heavy and most boring work. You're free labour they will work you so hard.

Work experience doesnt 'really' influence anything but try and make sure that you do it somewere good that will look fab on your CV. I want to go into architecture so instread of working at local architects offices I went to my council and went into the planning department where architects plans etc are submitted. It gave me a look on the other side of things and I had a real blast really, got to go to some pretty exciting places in my local area which I would never prevsiously known about. But there was a boring side which was speadsheets etc. 2 years after my work experience I still talk to some people who have the exact spreadsheet of which I made that they got from meetings at the council -giggle. So ye, try and think of what you want to do, flip the coin and look at going somewere into the other side of things.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!