PDA

View Full Version : UCAS POINTS

Jay.
11-12-2009, 10:00 AM
GRR MY TUTOR IS A TWO-FACED :rude:!!

Alright, we discussed UCAS points over the phone me and my tutor around 2 weeks ago, I just about made 220 points I did my worst, the entry requirements were 220 - 260 therefore, I'm ok!

So then when I sent off my application, my tutor contacted the admissions team behind my back saying that I was 20 points short, thus making my application unsuccessful. I've just gotten off the phone with a very nice girl called Pam, who works with the admissions team telling me this, she said she doesn't deal in points so advised me to go see my tutor today - Which is what I plan on doing.

I wanted to make sure though, I got up the UCAS Tarrifs and got this,

AS&A2 English at at least a C grade = 120 points.
AS Sociology at at least a C grade = 40 points.
BTEC National Award (Medical Science) at at least a Merit grade = 80 points.

120 + 40 + 80 = 220 points. *** IS MY TUTOR ON ABOUT?!

Yoshimitsui
11-12-2009, 10:45 AM
You may not have a particular grade added or a higher equivalent as opposed to what you think you have. You should go back through everything any also check with class tutors on the grades.

Jay.
11-12-2009, 10:46 AM
I have checked every tutor and the other specific entry grades I fitted in. The woman on the phone said the only reason you were unsuccessful, is because you didn't make 220 points, they haven't accumulated the points themselves though, my tutor added on the bottom of the reference that I was 20 short when I'm not.

Yoshimitsui
11-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Do you not have a student services advisor at school/college? If so you should see them about it. Other than that you should get all the grades and points listed from individual tutors and present him the facts.

Jay.
11-12-2009, 10:52 AM
I don't know about Student Services advisor although my tutors room is in the "Student Services Base" so he's probably our adviser LOL! Personal Tutor's are normally teachers. Anyway, theres the Entry Requirements below, I meet them all therefore he's wrong and I'm going to have to speak to him when I go into college at 12 >;l

Entry Requirements
Candidates would usually be expected to achieve
between 220 and 260 UCAS Tariff points including A2
Science (or equivalent), and must have, or be in the
process of achieving, GCSE grade C in English
Language, Mathematics and Science.

Yoshimitsui
11-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Maybe it will work out better when you see him face to face. If not you need to see someone else to have it corrected for UCAS.

Jay.
11-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Yeah the only person who CAN correct it is the Admissions officer and she asked me to get my tutor to email her if something is wrong.

Hecktix
11-12-2009, 11:07 AM
An A level at grade C is not 120 ucas points. An a level at grade C (incl AS & A2) is 80 ucas points.

Jay.
11-12-2009, 11:13 AM
A level with additional AS (9 units) = 120 says it on UCAS site.

EDIT: http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/#gce

EDIT AGAIN: I think you're right. Mis-calculation as if it was 120 for A level then it'd add upto 240. Yet if it was 80 it'd add up to 200 leaving me 20 points short meaning it was right.

If I asked them to offer me a conditional though, say for a distinction in Med Science would they agree?

Pyroka
11-12-2009, 11:23 AM
If you ask them they might just, unis will be hard to get into again this year but you can have a shot at it.

Jay.
11-12-2009, 11:25 AM
I'll go for it. Only 20 places on this course but eh, fingers crossed!

kk.
11-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Yeh you can't count your full a level as an AS and an A2. If you completed the a level then you can only count the full a level so in this case, your English points is 80.

You can contact universities and ask of you can still be considered providing you improve your grades I suppose

Jay.
11-12-2009, 02:47 PM
They said I need to get my tutor to email me to say that my predicted grade has changed from Merit to Distinction. Thing is, I need now to bribe my Science teacher to up my predicted grade in order to get a Conditional Offer.

I'll need an interview too! God, that'd be embarrasing.

Right well I'm off to college again to bribe Pete... Wish me luck!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!