PDA

View Full Version : BBC Sports Personality of the year is..

Hecktix
13-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Ryan Giggs...

Thoughts?

Robbie
13-12-2009, 09:06 PM
He's very hairy.

Well in Giggsy

Immenseman
13-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Deserved. The fact he hasn't won it already is criminal enough, he's what a sportsman should be like. He's an idol to millions and presents himself in a proper manner, he keeps his life out of the public spotlight and regardless of age his enthusiasm isn't matched by any living British sports star. True legend.

e5
13-12-2009, 09:07 PM
yeah, i told my dad it was going to be Ryan Giggs :) I'm not surprised.

CHA!NGANG
13-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Hm if it was going to go to a footballer, then yes I agree it should be Ryan Giggs. Actually I can't really see anyone else winning it apart from maybe a Cricketer due to the Ashes or maybe Murray but Giggs deserves it.

Immenseman
13-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Yeah, when he wasn't in 2nd and 3rd, I knew it'd be him.

Dragorn
13-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Hmmm... well, it hasnt really been an excited year for sports (hopefully it will be next year) but Ryan Giggs hasnt really played much this year and havent seen much of him, could be footballer personality of the decade but not the year, but i suppose they are experts..

Hecktix
13-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Hmmm... well, it hasnt really been an excited year for sports (hopefully it will be next year) but Ryan Giggs hasnt really played much this year and havent seen much of him, could be footballer personality of the decade but not the year, but i suppose they are experts..

No it's not been exciting at all, not as though a Brit won the F1 championship or the England cricket team won the Ashes or the fact several brits claimed a lot of metals in athletics etc. Not exciting at all.

Smits
13-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Well done to him, totally deserved

Jordy
13-12-2009, 10:04 PM
No it's not been exciting at all, not as though a Brit won the F1 championship or the England cricket team won the Ashes or the fact several brits claimed a lot of metals in athletics etc. Not exciting at all.I didn't find that particularly exciting :P

I think Giggs deserved it, he's consistently been good over the years. Button won through Ross Brawn's Strategies and an excellent car, he won lots of races early on in the season. Disastrously inconsistent throughout the rest of the season and that would also summarise his whole Formula One career.

Andy Murray lol? He was far better last year and doesn't deserve it till he wins a major.

Tash.
13-12-2009, 10:07 PM
I personally believe it should've gone to Andrew Strauss, I know it was a team effort for winning the Ashes but his contribution was invaluable.

Hecktix
13-12-2009, 10:13 PM
I personally believe it should've gone to Andrew Strauss, I know it was a team effort for winning the Ashes but his contribution was invaluable.

tbh I think it was Strauss that won the Ashes for England. He maintained strength through what could be described as some appalling performances by some of our best players.

luce
13-12-2009, 10:19 PM
fair play he has done so much in football so it's like sports personality of more then this year :eusa_whis

Sunnily
13-12-2009, 10:31 PM
I don't know much about Ryan Giggs. I know hes a football player and apparently he does alot of charity work. I wanted Tom Daley to win just because of looks and his talen at 15 :o Lmao

StefanWolves
13-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Well done Ryan Giggs, totally deserves it, great sportsman.

Black_Apalachi
14-12-2009, 01:59 AM
Deserved. The fact he hasn't won it already is criminal enough, he's what a sportsman should be like. He's an idol to millions and presents himself in a proper manner, he keeps his life out of the public spotlight and regardless of age his enthusiasm isn't matched by any living British sports star. True legend.

Despite the bias, I agree. Although I thought it was between Tom Daley and Jenson Button. I at least thought if Button didn't get it, Braun would get the Team award, what they achieved is remarkable.

Glad Usain Bolt got his one.

Immenseman
14-12-2009, 03:28 AM
I don't think it's bias, it's true. He really is one of the greatest British sports stars of all time :) I'd say that if he had played for any other team and still showed the same characteristics.

Bun
14-12-2009, 08:22 AM
he deserves it due to his career, but to the past year? no.

adaym
14-12-2009, 10:44 AM
May I remind everyone it's a competition based on PERSONALITY and not achievement.

Thus, Strauss/Giggs/Button shouldn't of won. It should've gone to Haye.

Immenseman
14-12-2009, 12:09 PM
yeah because giggs personality is so disagreeable

StefanWolves
14-12-2009, 03:40 PM
May I remind everyone it's a competition based on PERSONALITY and not achievement.

Thus, Strauss/Giggs/Button shouldn't of won. It should've gone to Haye.
Good argument. Haye is an up and coming legend also.

Geraint
14-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Haye did **** all. Won 1 fight and all he did in that was run away.

Black_Apalachi
14-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Haye is the biggest arrogant and self-righteous **** of the bunch!

adaym
14-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Haye did **** all. Won 1 fight and all he did in that was run away.
It's not about achievement...

2 things.

1) Arent' all boxers?
2) That means he has a personality... Strauss and Giggs don't, especially Strauss who still lives in the '50's. Most boring post-event interviews award goes to...

Geraint
14-12-2009, 06:11 PM

He actually isn't. He just speaks big before his fights because he wants his opponent to coe out and go for him.

Okay then, Jimmy Bullard should have won it.

adaym
14-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Achievement gets you the nomination, personality wins it for you.

Black_Apalachi
14-12-2009, 06:29 PM

2 things.

1) Arent' all boxers?
2) That means he has a personality... Strauss and Giggs don't, especially Strauss who still lives in the '50's. Most boring post-event interviews award goes to...

He actually isn't. He just speaks big before his fights because he wants his opponent to coe out and go for him.

Fair enough :P. But do all boxing champions bring their belt with them to EVERY TV appearance or just him? None of the other people at the awards show brought their trophies or Olympic medals on stage with them. I've also seen many TV appearances made my Muhammad Ali for example, yet I've never seen him walking round with a belt.

adaym
14-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Fair enough :P. But do all boxing champions bring their belt with them to EVERY TV appearance or just him? None of the other people at the awards show brought their trophies or Olympic medals on stage with them. I've also seen many TV appearances made my Muhammad Ali for example, yet I've never seen him walking round with a belt.
Because he doesn't hold the belt anymore.

Black_Apalachi
14-12-2009, 07:04 PM
I clearly meant from when he did.

Geraint
14-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Achievement gets you the nomination, personality wins it for you.

Which is why they show all their achievements when telling you to vote for them then.

adaym
14-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Which is why they show all their achievements when telling you to vote for them then.
Which renders the whole thing useless anyway... it's pathetic.

Black_Apalachi
14-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Which renders the whole thing useless anyway... it's pathetic.

That's true. The awards that are voted by "a team of experts" are stupid as well.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!