PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering

Immenseman
14-12-2009, 03:23 AM
Football is huge across the globe, it's the worlds biggest sport. I was just wondering why it isn't all that big in the USA? I know they have leagues and 'soccer' (so wrong) teams and it still has a following but no way near like South America and majority of Europe. I know they have American football but people can like both, like in this country, Rugby and Football are huge. If Americans got really into football then they could easily have the best league in the world, lol.

Black_Apalachi
14-12-2009, 03:28 AM
I guess because American Football is so big already, there just isn't the "market" if you like, for football. I know we have Rugby but I get the impression Rugby and Football grew separately in their own ways due to classes. Like I notice posher schools seem to have rugby teams while most schools have football teams so I imagine it goes back to the poor kids kicking a footy round in the street etc etc. America not only has American Football but other more dominant sports such as Baseball and Basketball. I don't think we have anything that really compares to Football, other than perhaps Rugby like you say.

Bun
14-12-2009, 08:24 AM
cos they got american football, basketball, baseball and ice hockey so there's not much room. plus they're americans and don't like british stuff lol.

adaym
14-12-2009, 10:33 AM
NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL.

Plus, the rules for MLS are terrible.

Immenseman
14-12-2009, 12:03 PM
yeah i know they have other sports but so do we. we have a strong base on cricket, golf, tennis, rugby etc but football is like a world sport

Grainger@CUFC
14-12-2009, 05:02 PM
"Soccer" over there is like american football is over here, generally like the 5th-ish favourite sport.

Browney
14-12-2009, 05:04 PM
I don't think they could be great at it, but they have the weight of all that money to throw around so perhaps they could buy greatness.

Immenseman
14-12-2009, 05:13 PM
yeah that's what i meant, they could easily buy the best players and if it got big players would want to go to america for the life style probably.

Black_Apalachi
14-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Like David Beckham? :lol: Their national team isn't bad.

adaym
14-12-2009, 06:08 PM
They're getting better, definitely.

Immenseman
14-12-2009, 06:10 PM
the national team has got worse. i remember when they were above england in the rankings. i think anyway lol.

Sunnily
14-12-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm not exactly sporty but i know that a large variety of sports is available for people to choose from. In the UK people tend to support teams and play football because other people do. They inspire each other :D

Black_Apalachi
14-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Well put it like this, don't expect our World Cup group to be a walk in the park :P.

Geraint
14-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Just like the Aussies ain't in to football and if they were they'd be pretty good. Some places have more popularity of a particular sport than others.

Cyndia
14-12-2009, 10:38 PM
I actually know quite a few people that are obsessed with soccer.. But yeah, ice hockey, american football, and baseball are all way more popular. Baseball definitely used to be THE 'all-american' sport though it's much less popular now, and american football is really what everyone is into. I'm obsessed with it myself actually... Woo, go minnesota vikings!

adaym
14-12-2009, 10:41 PM
the national team has got worse. i remember when they were above england in the rankings. i think anyway lol.
yeah, only after the pissing concaaf competitions where they face the ever dangerous st.kitts nevis and the world famous british virgin islands.

Geraint
14-12-2009, 10:54 PM
I actually know quite a few people that are obsessed with soccer.. But yeah, ice hockey, american football, and baseball are all way more popular. Baseball definitely used to be THE 'all-american' sport though it's much less popular now, and american football is really what everyone is into. I'm obsessed with it myself actually... Woo, go minnesota vikings!

There's only one team in the NFC North and that's the Chicago Bears. :D

Although, we are ****.

Black_Apalachi
14-12-2009, 11:40 PM
I really don't see how baseball got so popular in the US. It looks great when you see it in movies and stuff but if you actually try watching an actual real life game I find it so boring. I'm surprised how popular the Super Bowl is over here as well. I never hear of American footy until the Super Bowl comes round and everyone stays up to watch it :S.

Eoin
14-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Theres some crackin players coming out of the mls like!

Toronto FC ftw :D

Cyndia
15-12-2009, 02:25 AM
There's only one team in the NFC North and that's the Chicago Bears. :D

Although, we are ****.

Lol aww you're a bears fan? I actually don't mind them. My boyfriends lived in chicago all his life so he's a huge fan and he always makes me watch their games with him and I usually root for them.. except for when they play the Vikings. Who, by the way, TOTALLY creamed them. :D

But yes. The only team I DESPISE in the nfc north is the packers. I'm still laughing at them for losing favre.

Charlottay!
15-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Oh god this is wat i have to study for P.E AS. pain in the backside. but yea americans arent the best at it so they dont tend to follow it. American Football is the sport. I think depending on how they do in the world cup will depend how much more popular the sport will become.

I however prefer baseball as an american sport. Finally getting world series after a diasterous few years. Go Yankees

adaym
15-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Oh god this is wat i have to study for P.E AS. pain in the backside. but yea americans arent the best at it so they dont tend to follow it. American Football is the sport. I think depending on how they do in the world cup will depend how much more popular the sport will become.

I however prefer baseball as an american sport. Finally getting world series after a diasterous few years. Go Yankees

If you put that in your school work; you'll fail. You're wrong in thinking that.

Geraint
15-12-2009, 06:18 PM
I really don't see how baseball got so popular in the US. It looks great when you see it in movies and stuff but if you actually try watching an actual real life game I find it so boring. I'm surprised how popular the Super Bowl is over here as well. I never hear of American footy until the Super Bowl comes round and everyone stays up to watch it :S.

Baseball is actually pretty good and when ESPN was free I watched it every night. American football isn't really big until the Super Bowl just like Baseball isn't too big until the World Series. Over there, it's massive but we just don't hear about it.

Theres some crackin players coming out of the mls like!

Toronto FC ftw :D

Carl Robinson is class.

Lol aww you're a bears fan? I actually don't mind them. My boyfriends lived in chicago all his life so he's a huge fan and he always makes me watch their games with him and I usually root for them.. except for when they play the Vikings. Who, by the way, TOTALLY creamed them. :D

But yes. The only team I DESPISE in the nfc north is the packers. I'm still laughing at them for losing favre.

Can't say I'm too much of a fan just look out for the results and have a quick look now and again. Don't know too much but seems that Jay Cutler is a bit inconsistent and seems to get intercepted too much.

Well, yeah, that's how it goes, if you support Minnesota or Green Bay you hate the other one.

Cyndia
17-12-2009, 01:00 AM
Can't say I'm too much of a fan just look out for the results and have a quick look now and again. Don't know too much but seems that Jay Cutler is a bit inconsistent and seems to get intercepted too much.

Well, yeah, that's how it goes, if you support Minnesota or Green Bay you hate the other one.

Yeah Jay Cutler is pretty inconsistent. And haha, Minnesota and Wisconsin do have some pretty bad rivalry. I lived in Minnesota for ten years so I have to side with them.. Who wants to be a cheesehead anyway??

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!