PDA

View Full Version : How do you think the world started?

Meree.
15-12-2009, 04:29 PM
I'll post my opinion on it in a little, kinda busy at the moment with my
coursework to do with this!

So do you think God created the world? Or do you think the Big Bang did?
Make sure you make a vote above ^
and also, post a comment below saying WHY. :)

Thanks

Neversoft
15-12-2009, 05:21 PM
The Big Bang. I believe it's more logical than a higher power.

And to quote 8Freak8...

"If a hurricane ripped through a junkyard, how likely is it that a machine as complex as a Boeing 747 could be put together? The universe being many times more complex is therefore even more unlikely to come together by random processes.

The point is though, that if you had a junkyard that was abundant with everything that is needed to make a Boeing 747, and if all of these things had specific charges to attract each other (like molecules), then there is at least a very very very very remote possibility of this happening - as long as you have one constant hurricane in a junkyard for billions of years."

jackass
15-12-2009, 05:24 PM
God, i'm not getting into it now though. :)

Black_Apalachi
15-12-2009, 05:36 PM
I would have to say the Big Bang. There's something so obvious here but it amazes me how I've never heard anyone suggest it before; if you are a Christian, why not believe both? :S When I did believe in God, I believed that He caused the Big Bang to happen. Surely that would be a lot easier to believe than just dismissing the research of scientists and bluntly claiming that God just did it without an explanation as to how he did it? Just a thought.

Ardemax
15-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Sergio this time I'm agreeing with you mate.

I believe God created the big bang therefore creating us and everything else.

If there was no God, who created the big bang and who created the atoms which made the big bang?

Neversoft
15-12-2009, 05:52 PM
If there was no God, who created the big bang and who created the atoms which made the big bang?

Atoms were created with the Big Bang when the universe supposedly expanded and then cooled down; converting energy into matter.

There is a good article addressing the topic of the creation of the universe, and whether it was created from nothing or not here (http://www.thekeyboard.org.uk/Where%20universe%20from.htm).

Nemo
15-12-2009, 05:53 PM

I really hate that arguement. What created god then? What created that which created god?

etc.

Ardemax
15-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Atoms were created with the Big Bang when the universe supposedly expanded and then cooled down; converting energy into matter.

There is a good article addressing the topic of the creation of the universe, and whether it was created from nothing or not here (http://www.thekeyboard.org.uk/Where%20universe%20from.htm).

Then couldn't have God been there, created the Big Bang from scratch and everything?

I really hate that arguement. What created god then? What created that which created god?

etc.

In my views, he was there from the start of time.

This will be difficult for us to view in our minds because we only exist in time, from one period to another, but God was here before that existance.

Meree.
15-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Nice opinions :) I'm not too sure really myself. I was brought up by my parents to believe in god, but when I was old enough to realise there was two sides of the story, being the big bang and God creating the earth, I just mostly took the side upon the big bang. It sounds silly... but having a god, someone who created the earth, and does all these 'things' is a tad magical, wouldn't you say? And I don't believe in magic. So, im not too sure! Any more opinions? I could use them for my report.

Ardemax
15-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Nice opinions :) I'm not too sure really myself. I was brought up by my parents to believe in god, but when I was old enough to realise there was two sides of the story, being the big bang and God creating the earth, I just mostly took the side upon the big bang. It sounds silly... but having a god, someone who created the earth, and does all these 'things' is a tad magical, wouldn't you say? And I don't believe in magic. So, im not too sure! Any more opinions? I could use them for my report.

Animals and reproduction, is that not magical?

Meree.
15-12-2009, 06:51 PM
But how did animals first start? No one knows really.

Nemo
15-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Then couldn't have God been there, created the Big Bang from scratch and everything?

In my views, he was there from the start of time.

This will be difficult for us to view in our minds because we only exist in time, from one period to another, but God was here before that existance.

In my views, the universe was there from the start of time.

This will be difficult for us to view in our minds because we only exist in time, from one period to another, but the universe was here before that existance.

See, can be said for the universe, its just not a good arguement.

Neversoft
15-12-2009, 06:56 PM

Evolution.

Special
15-12-2009, 07:06 PM
The big bang because I don't think god is real after several things my brother taught me

Dan2nd
15-12-2009, 07:47 PM
I personaly think God triggered the big bang.. However both are just theories neither God or the Big Bang have been 100% proven.

jackass
15-12-2009, 08:08 PM
What created the Big Bang?

I'm not implying that God did, but how the hell is this possible?

-K8T!E-
15-12-2009, 10:52 PM
I believe the big bang created the earth, I dont believe in God. The whole story of god creating the world in 7 days is rubbish in my opinion, its a story made up by people who want to believe that the world was made for a reason. It was an accident and happened by chance. I'll only believe that God created the earth when theres solid proof to back up peoples beliefs.

xxMATTGxx
16-12-2009, 12:13 AM
I have to say, I believe the big bang created the world. I don't believe in God and all of that. I don't see a point in it for myself but I can see why other people believe in God and so on.

Black_Apalachi
16-12-2009, 12:49 AM
How is the Big Bang possible you ask? You may as well ask how is it possible to win the Lottery.

N!ck
16-12-2009, 12:53 AM
The Big Bang Theory is probably an accurate description to how a Universe started. A much more likely explanation that any other considering the evidence. Remember it's just a theory though ;).

And your wording "The Big Bang created the earth" isn't strictly true. The Big Bang Theory, if true, describes the start of the Universe. Earth was formed some time after the beginning.

Tash.
19-12-2009, 07:03 PM
All I can really say on this is that I don't think it had anything to do with God or any other higher spirit. The whole concept of the universe actually makes me dizzy and feel rather claustrophobic but I do think it has more to do with an explosion of atoms etc.

-:Undertaker:-
19-12-2009, 11:41 PM
While I think the whole thing was random chaos, I also want to believe in a God so I do. I really don't know whether or not one exists and I will never know until I die, so both I suppose.

karter
20-12-2009, 07:17 AM
god created the atoms, materials and things ..
then who created god ??
sorry if i broke your religious sentiments :(

Mentor
20-12-2009, 12:09 PM
And to quote 8Freak8...

"If a hurricane ripped through a junkyard, how likely is it that a machine as complex as a Boeing 747 could be put together? The universe being many times more complex is therefore even more unlikely to come together by random processes.

Technically thats a paraphrasing of stephen hawking's :p

On topic, nether.

You asked, how was the earth created. The big bang may have been involved in the creation of the universe? but earth, no involvement at all. Its like asking how bacon is fryed, and haveing the choices in answer "from a pig" or "god does it"
Where the materials came from is irrelevant to the question, and the god did it just sounds a bit daft.

Earth was created by gravity and matter. Some big old star went super nova, left lots of materal floating about, gravity slowly pulls it all together, friction creates heat, lots of heat equals nuclear fusion, then that the sun, the left over matter begins to clump together in to its orbit, and one of these clumps is the thing we now call earth.

So big bang and god are both wrong. Can i request the right answer, "Laws of phyisics + time + matter" be added to the poll?

Bun
20-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Technically thats a paraphrasing of stephen hawking's :p

On topic, nether.

You asked, how was the earth created. The big bang may have been involved in the creation of the universe? but earth, no involvement at all. Its like asking how bacon is fryed, and haveing the choices in answer "from a pig" or "god does it"
Where the materials came from is irrelevant to the question, and the god did it just sounds a bit daft.

Earth was created by gravity and matter. Some big old star went super nova, left lots of materal floating about, gravity slowly pulls it all together, friction creates heat, lots of heat equals nuclear fusion, then that the sun, the left over matter begins to clump together in to its orbit, and one of these clumps is the thing we now call earth.

So big bang and god are both wrong. Can i request the right answer, "Laws of phyisics + time + matter" be added to the poll?
the big bang created the earth indirectly, ite? stop being so fussy.

Mentor
20-12-2009, 12:26 PM
the big bang created the earth indirectly, ite? stop being so fussy.
And the evolution of mammals indirectly created my bacon sandwich. Oddly enough though, i'd say frying the bacan and placing it between slices of bread was the bit that created the bacon sandwich, not the evolution of mammals.

Secondly, its a key point to this debate. The universe could begin a million ways, big bang, god, aliens science experiment, etc. and the thing that creates the earth would be the same, gravity + time + matter. So debating the way the matter and laws of physic's got there does not have any bearing on the question of earth's creation. So my point still stands, and is an essential one. Not just me being fussy.

The question we are debating is the origin of earth itself, so that will be the subject i'll debate. Its meaningless to debate subjects off that point as they are irrelevant to it.

Meree.
20-12-2009, 12:31 PM
And the evolution of mammals indirectly created my bacon sandwich. Oddly enough though, i'd say frying the bacan and placing it between slices of bread was the bit that created the bacon sandwich, not the evolution of mammals.

Secondly, its a key point to this debate. The universe could begin a million ways, big bang, god, aliens science experiment, etc. and the thing that creates the earth would be the same, gravity + time + matter. So debating the way the matter and laws of physic's got there does not have any bearing on the question of earth's creation. So my point still stands, and is an essential one. Not just me being fussy.

The question we are debating is the origin of earth itself, so that will be the subject i'll debate. Its meaningless to debate subjects off that point as they are irrelevant to it.

+rep darlin'

Nixt
20-12-2009, 01:40 PM
I believe that God created the universe and thus created the earth, indirectly. I don't believe that the Book of Genesis is to be taken literally. I don't think God clicked his fingers and it was made - I do believe that he initiated the big bang and anything that ensued was His will. I think the Book of Genesis is an old way of explaining how God created the earth, made by those who were trying to explain something they could not easily explain.

I am not a literal Christian, as you can tell.

Mentor
20-12-2009, 02:22 PM
I believe that God created the universe and thus created the earth, indirectly. I don't believe that the Book of Genesis is to be taken literally. I don't think God clicked his fingers and it was made - I do believe that he initiated the big bang and anything that ensued was His will.
I take it from this you are not a believer in freewill? As to say that all that happened after gods initial creation of the universe, was according to gods will, would imply?

Equally, would that not make god directly responsible for all the evil and suffering in the world? Along with the design flaws, i mean, as a peace of engineering the earth is a pretty shoddy bit of work as are the creatures on it. Were an engineer to redesign humans for instances there are a lot of improvements that could be made. Which is strange if a perfect, all known, all powerful being is said to have set all this in motion and willed things to turn out this way?

If god is to take credit for the earth after all, he should take responsibility for its shortcomings - which by proxy disprove's any god said to be omnipotent and omniscient as such a god could not have made such mistakes.

I think the Book of Genesis is an old way of explaining how God created the earth, made by those who were trying to explain something they could not easily explain.

I am not a literal Christian, as you can tell.
You believe the bible is an attempt for people to explain how something like the earth god here, which makes sense. but i don't see how the jump is made to say that this interpretation is based on any sort of truth? Especially since you'd then be saying are modern, much more accurate interpretation of how the universe came to be (which does not include a god) is not a better explanation?

At best you can get to an imperfect "higher power" creating a universe in so far that they set up the basic rules of physic's and left it to run its cause. At worst you have a perfect, but unimaginably evil god, who created the universe knowing exactly what would result "/

Personally i prefer the more likely solution to this, that there never was a god, and that the story's about one are simply myths? in the same way the Greek, Egyptian and other prehistoric gods are.

Summed up by:

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?"
- Epicurus

galbabe
23-12-2009, 12:06 AM

yh i also agree with this i reliese that big bang prob happened with all the eviedence to prove it but i also believe that god created the univese in my opinion, though no one really knows for a fact and we prob never will so i am just going to not say anything after this about it.

Smits
23-12-2009, 12:13 AM
yh i also agree with this i reliese that big bang prob happened with all the eviedence to prove it but i also believe that god created the univese in my opinion, though no one really knows for a fact and we prob never will so i am just going to not say anything after this about it.

You're right, nobody will know if god exists or not until they die.

However i have to say, Mentor is throwing up some really intereseting and relevant points, i'm actually glad i don't believe in god (as much as i would want to), coming back with any counter arguments for what's been said, would be quite difficuilt.

Oleh
24-12-2009, 05:29 PM
The bigger question is...

How do you think the universe was created, Seeing as nobody know whats outside the universe (if anything) Osmosis jones could be the truth imo, Think about it, we could be living organisms inside a bloodcell and the bloodcell is earth, and everything in the universe is bloodcells and so on e.g. Planets red, Stars White and Asteroids Virus's

May sound a bit farfetched but heck its a good idea

Black_Apalachi
24-12-2009, 05:44 PM

How do you think the universe was created, Seeing as nobody know whats outside the universe (if anything) Osmosis jones could be the truth imo, Think about it, we could be living organisms inside a bloodcell and the bloodcell is earth, and everything in the universe is bloodcells and so on e.g. Planets red, Stars White and Asteroids Virus's

Or our universe could be a marble and there are aliens playing with the marbles :eusa_ange.

TheEclipse
29-12-2009, 09:43 AM
The big bang. Though they don't really know that for sure, I am not religious, therefore for me, it is not God.

Hiro
29-12-2009, 05:29 PM
This is my view, and I stick by it:

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

-Heart
31-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Who's God?

Neversoft
31-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Who's God?

Morgan Freeman.

Homosexual
31-12-2009, 04:09 PM
We're all playdo and Stephen Hawkins controls us.

end of xo

Technologic
01-01-2010, 04:08 PM
We're just an odd assortment of elements

Alkaz
01-01-2010, 04:15 PM
I think it was the big bang.
I get really confussed at what I am going to say and explaining it but before there was anything there had to be nothing which is something. When there wasnt anything how could something be made which made the big bang or what ever. Well confussing myself here :(

Richie
02-01-2010, 02:18 AM
I might be just a very strange person but I think the world was always here, I know that sounds weird as something needs to be created. I just think it was here and nothing created it.

Ardemax
06-01-2010, 07:53 PM
It's a fair point thinking the world was already here, but I think there's a lot of science behind the idea it wasn't.

The sun wasn't here in the beginning and it won't be here in the end, therefore the earth would have had to battle through many strong ice ages, wrecking the landscapes and making it un-inhabitable. But we're here, sooooo... :P

jackass
06-01-2010, 08:05 PM
I might be just a very strange person but I think the world was always here, I know that sounds weird as something needs to be created. I just think it was here and nothing created it.

How exactly is that possible? Infinity is not a measurement of time, it's merely a concept of a never ending number.

Richie
06-01-2010, 09:23 PM
How exactly is that possible? Infinity is not a measurement of time, it's merely a concept of a never ending number.

I'm really not sure I just think the world was always here, yes that sounds weird. Thats just my view on the whole topic. I can't explain myself as its impossible.

Gibs960
06-01-2010, 09:42 PM
I think because God doesn't appear to exsist, if he exsisted he would of helped me in some way, but I've had to get through it all on my own, so the big bang, and its been proven by scientists

untrustus
07-01-2010, 02:40 PM
i don't really care how the world started, i just know it wasn't a fictional 'greater being'

edit: also i don't believe in the 'big bang theory' either.

Ardemax
08-01-2010, 09:53 AM
I think because God doesn't appear to exsist, if he exsisted he would of helped me in some way, but I've had to get through it all on my own, so the big bang, and its been proven by scientists

The Big Bang HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN BY SCIENTISTS. It's a theory. Thanks.

Swearwolf
08-01-2010, 10:33 AM
In this day and age my opinion is it's about time people stopped living off dreams and realised. The Big Bang for me.

Soy
08-01-2010, 02:31 PM
i beluve dat it came out of godz ass after he won an arm wrestle

dats wot i belve 2 be tru

jackass
08-01-2010, 04:07 PM
i beluve dat it came out of godz ass after he won an arm wrestle

dats wot i belve 2 be tru

Family Guy = win. ;)

But yeah... nice contribution to the thread.

Kronics
08-01-2010, 04:10 PM
I definatly think it started as the big bang. Their's more logic behind it than god creating it. Definatly scientific logic behind this.

Soy
08-01-2010, 05:33 PM
I definatly think it started as the big bang. Their's more logic behind it than god creating it. Definatly scientific logic behind this.

fnkyou

jackass
08-01-2010, 06:16 PM

Logic? Where did the matter to create the big bang come from then? Answer that.

Swearwolf
08-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Logic? Where did the matter to create the big bang come from then? Answer that.
certainly not some guy in a cloud casting magic spells

Neversoft
08-01-2010, 06:18 PM

Are you talking about Zeus?

jackass
08-01-2010, 06:23 PM

What a really ignorant and naive thing to say. Besides, i'm not saying that the 'God theory' doesn't have it's flaws either.

Richie
08-01-2010, 11:24 PM

Dude have you not seen harry potter!

Isolde
08-01-2010, 11:25 PM
This is how the world began.. God wanted to create something beautiful so he created the world then he wanted to create something beyond beautiful so he created me, the first human on earth and thats how they discovered the word "Beautiful" because they took one good look at me, yeah they couldn't stop staring!!!

Black_Apalachi
09-01-2010, 12:01 AM
This is how the world began.. God wanted to create something beautiful so he created the world then he wanted to create something beyond beautiful so he created me, the first human on earth and thats how they discovered the word "Beautiful" because they took one good look at me, yeah they couldn't stop staring!!!

There were already lots of beautiful things before the Earth.

Isolde
09-01-2010, 12:10 AM

There were already lots of beautiful things before the Earth.

he saved the good till last :)

Black_Apalachi
09-01-2010, 01:36 AM
he saved the good till last :)

The Earth is the most ****** up thing in the Universe!

Richie
09-01-2010, 02:47 AM
If god created the world, then anything is possible..

DrLacero
09-01-2010, 03:14 AM
Neither.

The Big Bang occurred ~8 billion years before the Earth was created.

Evolution.

No, Abiogenesis. Evolution explains the diversity of life, it does not (nor does it try to) explain the origin of life.

I personaly think God triggered the big bang.. However both are just theories neither God or the Big Bang have been 100% proven.

A theory, in scientific terms, explains all known evidence. Religion therefore, is not a theory. Religion in fact doesn't qualify as a hypothesis either, as a hypothesis must be falsifiable.

[Jay]
09-01-2010, 04:48 PM
I believe God created the world. The big bang is an intresting theory but if there was nothing to begin with then how did something get created? You cant make something out of nothing. There has to be something which created the big bang.

Neversoft
09-01-2010, 06:42 PM
No, Abiogenesis. Evolution explains the diversity of life, it does not (nor does it try to) explain the origin of life.

We're talking about animals here, not molecules and microbes. Animals are a result of evolution.

Accipiter
09-01-2010, 06:58 PM

is the impossibility of everything being everywhere and everything been all the time hard to understand.

probaly a bad person to quote but i only read until osmosis jones. above probaly would be more suited to [jays] post.

I've always had that idea in my head that we could be atoms and **** and the universe is a person, but the solar system does act like atoms, revolving around a nucleus with electrons circling it, + suns are burning only 2 chemicals, and as far as we know nucleus only have 2 different things in them (neutron and proton)

Black_Apalachi
09-01-2010, 09:12 PM
;6228547']I believe God created the world. The big bang is an intresting theory but if there was nothing to begin with then how did something get created? You cant make something out of nothing. There has to be something which created the big bang.

If you can't make something out of nothing, why would you claim that a god created the world?

DrLacero
09-01-2010, 09:56 PM
We're talking about animals here, not molecules and microbes. Animals are a result of evolution.

I fail to see what you're arguing here, evolution explains the origin of complex organisms from simpler ones, but it doesn't explain the origin of the most simple cells which I believe are RNA molecules which attracted lipids to form a micelle membrane, that's where Abiogenesis comes in. There's lots of great videos on the subject, check out potholer54 (http://www.youtube.com/user/potholer54) on youtube.

Neversoft
09-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Once again, we're not talking about cells or molecules, we're talking about animals. Meree asked how they first came about and I wasn't wrong in saying evolution. Animals, like all living things, evolved from bacteria. Now, if Meree asked where bacteria came from, then you could direct her to abiogenesis.

CrazyColaist
10-01-2010, 02:57 AM
big bang. because theres so much evidence of it. yet not a single picture of a man healing someone or anything to do with what "jesus" did

[Jay]
10-01-2010, 11:18 AM
If you can't make something out of nothing, why would you claim that a god created the world?
Because God had the x-factor, God could make anything happen.

DrLacero
10-01-2010, 11:42 AM
;6230613']Because God had the x-factor, God could make anything happen.

This is called special pleading, and it isn't a valid argument.

[Jay]
10-01-2010, 07:00 PM
This is called special pleading, and it isn't a valid argument.
Lol how am I ment to explian it? I dont know I wasent there.
Someone mentioned something about time which I thought was intresting, God was there from the beggining of time, time was created with God thats how things began.
While the big bang theory tries to explain things, its difficult to belive it as its theory its not fact. Offcurse God is not fact either but there have been people who have had certain experiences, things have happend which science cannot explain. You have to admit that there has to be a greater force, theres got to be a better explination then an explotion occured and billions of years later here we are. Im pretty sure exploins destroy and not creat stuff.

DrLacero
10-01-2010, 07:22 PM
;6231845']While the big bang theory tries to explain things, its difficult to belive it as its theory its not fact.

In common usage, a theory isn't a fact, but in science it is. Gravity is a theory, are you going to deny that because it's 'a theory not fact'?

;6231845']Offcurse God is not fact either but there have been people who have had certain experiences, things have happend which science cannot explain.

Personal experiences and testimony don't constitute evidence in science. The scientific method can't be applied to the supernatural, because by definition is unexplainable by natural methods.

;6231845']You have to admit that there has to be a greater force,

Nope, not until it can be independently verified.

;6231845']theres got to be a better explination then an explotion occured and billions of years later here we are. Im pretty sure exploins destroy and not creat stuff.

The big bang wasn't an explosion.

Gullable
13-01-2010, 11:42 PM
can they be another option on the poll please, i wanna vote for a seed:(

TaffTalk
17-01-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm a Catholic so, yeah I believe God created the Earth. The Brain, Spirits and the grand scheme of things, the Status Quo, it's just to perfect to be coincidence.

Ardemax
17-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Why do people keep saying there's so much evidence of the Big Bang? It's a theory, nothing more, nothing less.

DrLacero
17-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Why do people keep saying there's so much evidence of the Big Bang? It's a theory, nothing more, nothing less.

You don't seem to know what a theory is.

Sharon
22-01-2010, 10:00 PM
None. I think ''God'' did someone who then threatened to tell the God police that he'd done her if she didn't create a world for her kid to live.

Sly
23-01-2010, 01:15 PM
I think 'God' created the world and all the othter other planets etc but then I think he got bored of earth so just left us to our own device.
He's probably made a well better planet somewhere else that he prefers to keep an eye on.

Ardemax
23-01-2010, 04:03 PM
You don't seem to know what a theory is.

Then prove to me the big bang happened. You can't. It's a theory.

God and the Big Bang are both theories.

Thanks v. much

Black_Apalachi
27-01-2010, 02:59 AM
I recently read about a very interesting theory. It essentially assumes that the universe is in a constant cycle of beginning, then ending and then re-birthing. Doesn't seem like such an irrational thought when I put it into the perspective of how I went from once believing in a god, to hoping there was a god, to laughing at the idea of a god.

In all honesty though, I think that existence is something we just have to accept. You can drive yourself crazy trying to figure out how the universe began, but is there really any point? We're just a very small part of it, so why not just enjoy it for what it is and let it carry on doing whatever it does.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!