PDA

View Full Version : :@

velvet
19-12-2009, 07:52 PM
I needed somewhere to vent, lol.
My boyfriend shares my car with me whilst we try and get the money together to buy him his own one.

Last night he had an accident reversing into the drive and completely shattered the front left wing panel on my car, I was pretty angry but after I calmed down all was well...

He goes out again today and crashes it again, into a ditch, smashing the lower right and central front panels... so that's like £600 for the panels without even paying for them to be sprayed. (I have a smart car, so they're fibreglass as opposed to metal)

I refuse to claim it on the insurance and ruin my no claims so yeah, he can have fun paying for that.

Extremely pissed off. :@

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

Hecktix
19-12-2009, 08:07 PM
oh dear, he'll be sleeping on the sofa tonight then eh?

danzooo
19-12-2009, 10:27 PM
What a pleb, I can imagine him sleeping on the couch tonight for sure, and I also can imagine him being taken off the named driver of your car's list too!

Metric1
20-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Have you had it looked at by a body shop? It may appear to only be body panels, but underneath it can be whole other story.

Dentafrice
23-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Have you had it looked at by a body shop? It may appear to only be body panels, but underneath it can be whole other story.
Agreed.

Smart cars aren't that smart when you get into a wreck. I'd much rather be surrounded by heavy thick steel, then flimsy weak fiberglass :P

velvet
28-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Agreed.

Smart cars aren't that smart when you get into a wreck. I'd much rather be surrounded by heavy thick steel, then flimsy weak fiberglass :P

Nah, it's just the panels.
And FYI Smart cars have 5* safety. ;)

tdi
28-12-2009, 09:25 PM
actually they have 4, which is still alright unless you're a child or a pedestrian :P

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/smart/forfour.aspx

Metric1
29-12-2009, 03:46 AM
I prefer to be encased in airbags. When I was younger I was in a bad car wreck and I think the only thing that saved me was my seatbelt and the side curtain/torso airbags that were relatively new back then. Every car I drive will have side curtains at the very minimum. Mom's car has torso airbags for every passenger, my work car has airbags to protect my knees..

I watched a program on crashing Smart cars and they said although the car didn't fare so bad, the occupants wouldn't survive the forces or something on the frame.. in other words they would die.

Dentafrice
29-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Yep, the car survives.. but it doesn't have enough mass to absorb the force of the impact.

Bigger cars do, and send the excess force down through the frame to the tires, and out.

velvet
30-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Yep, the car survives.. but it doesn't have enough mass to absorb the force of the impact.

Bigger cars do, and send the excess force down through the frame to the tires, and out.

The link you posted was the ForFour not the ForTwo, heh.
The Smart works similarly, the bubble shape forces the pressure upwards.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!