PDA

View Full Version : A2 SOCIOLOGY OF RELIGION REVISION THREAD!

Glitter
05-01-2010, 01:43 PM
As a few of us do A2 sociology and we have an exam approaching i thought because there are not many resources on the web to revise from.. i'd make this thread :)
basically i'll ask a question related to A2 sociology on religion, and whoever posts next answers it then asks there own question and so it continues. :)

so first question!
What is meant by the term 'totenism'?

Inseriousity.
05-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Totemism is the study by Durkheim when he went to the Australian Aubergine (sp? lol) tribe and found they worshipped totems. Each clan of the tribe had their own special totem and Durkheim said that when they worshipped this they worshipped society.

"Assess the usefulness of Functionalist views on religion when applied to contemporary society" Oj hehe :D

- What are the three types of NRMs?

good thread idea +rep

Hecktix
05-01-2010, 07:46 PM
I don't do sociology but I do Religious Studies so meh.

The three types of NRMs are:

World Rejecting
World Affirming
World Accommodating

What is meant by the term millenarianism? (sp?)

Glitter
05-01-2010, 11:49 PM
like the whole 1000 year prophecy thing.. not really sociology i don't think babe xox

explain calvinist beliefs?

Hecktix
05-01-2010, 11:51 PM
like the whole 1000 year prophecy thing.. not really sociology i don't think babe xox

It's a believe that half NRM's are based upon...

Immenseman
05-01-2010, 11:55 PM
calvinists are kwl and weber used them to show how religion can create social change. they had an ascetic religion, doctrine of predestination and protestant work ethic, all of which combined to create capitalism.

erm, what are marxist views on contemporary religion

Glitter
06-01-2010, 06:12 PM
um, not really too sure on this one!
but im gonna guess anyway and say that they say it's a form of oppression and it oppresses the working class and all that, but i don't know if thats contemporary or what not!!

Immenseman
10-01-2010, 04:28 PM
yeah, pretty much it

Glitter
13-01-2010, 10:36 PM
yeah, pretty much it

whayyy

what did bruce say about social change and religion... (hint cause its a toughy.. its based on studies from new christian right and civil religion)

Immenseman
22-01-2010, 04:52 PM
how did you all find the exam

Inseriousity.
22-01-2010, 05:24 PM
good good, lots to write about on social groups. A whole subtopic for a question, what a lovely exam writer :D

Immenseman
22-01-2010, 05:59 PM
yeah, two essay questions were pretty hot. i did the other one though ;)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!