PDA

View Full Version : Bookies' odds to go decimal.

Black_Apalachi
08-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Heard this a few days ago on the radio. They are going to have a trial run with horse racing odds. It's supposed to make horse racing more appealing to younger people.

Personally I hate the idea and I can't imagine the horse racing community to be too over the moon with it either so I really can't see the trial being very successful. Even if it went ahead, what about other sports? They all use the fractions system and most of them are popular with younger people.

If anyone cares, what do you think?

This is an article that explains things pretty well:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/racing/bookies-odds-make-way-for-decimalised-age-1858700.html

adaym
08-01-2010, 05:11 PM
It's an Americanism but it makes everything easier.

Black_Apalachi
08-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Things are easy though lol.

N!ck
08-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Well I'm used to using BetFair so I'm more used decimal odds anyway.

It is easier for instantly comparable odds though. For instance, if you had odds of 11-4 and 17-6 you wouldn't know which was more without doing some arithmetic (unless you were a hardcore gambler and automatically knew of course). In decimal odds these are 3.75 and 3.83, so you can instantly see which is better.

They worked some out wrong in that article BTW.

Black_Apalachi
08-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Fair enough, that makes sense I guess. John McCririck is gonna have a hissy fit though lol.

Smits
08-01-2010, 05:41 PM
I understand the fractions more.

brandon
09-01-2010, 01:45 AM
I don't bet on Horses but I like the idea of decimals taking over. I bet online and I'm always changing to decimal. Simple minded that way :(

Geraint
09-01-2010, 01:48 AM
It is easier. Like someone said 11/4 or 17/6 is difficult. I'd know which one is better but you'd be there working out when decimal is much easier. They're modernising horse racing massively. They've got like 10 things to go through.

Black_Apalachi
09-01-2010, 01:54 AM
I don't get why it's just horse racing though. Everyone is perfectly happy with the fractions in all the other sports. Also dunno why the government would want to encourage younger people to gamble? :S

Geraint
09-01-2010, 01:57 AM
because whoever the horse racing people are obviously see that a change is needed as less people are betting and watching or w/e. they're trying to get more people involved and watching it. personally, i'd rather watch paint dry.

Black_Apalachi
09-01-2010, 02:00 AM
I find it interesting along with lots of sports but it'll piss me off if they have different betting systems.

Geraint
09-01-2010, 02:02 AM
Most sport will do it before long. Online alot do.

StefanWolves
09-01-2010, 02:45 AM
Used it online, much simpler than the normal way of showing odds.

It's going to be funny the first time my Grandad uses this style of betting odds... he'll be like what the............

Black_Apalachi
09-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Used it online, much simpler than the normal way of showing odds.

It's going to be funny the first time my Grandad uses this style of betting odds... he'll be like what the............

yeah exactly, old people are gonna go insane over it lol.

Immenseman
09-01-2010, 03:02 PM
i think it's a shame :( cuz it's traditional innit, i think it's easy enough to work out the other way. those who are that stupid they're unsure shouldn't be placing bets anyways.

Geraint
09-01-2010, 07:02 PM
i think it's a shame :( cuz it's traditional innit, i think it's easy enough to work out the other way. those who are that stupid they're unsure shouldn't be placing bets anyways.

exactly. that's why they want to change. as people get put off by them in fractions. they're losing money.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!