PDA

View Full Version : Theory test

Richie
17-01-2010, 04:53 PM
I want to have a full licence by at least august, yes the process does take several months I know that. My main concern is passing the theory, anytime I try it on my laptop I fail. I have no idea about the road nor cars, the reason being is no-one in my family drives so I don't pay attention to the road and cars.

Any advice on how I can study for the test?

Yeah you can probs take the piss i dnt rlly care I just need help.

+REP

Richard.

Starburst..x
17-01-2010, 05:10 PM
There is a book you can get with all of the questions that are likely to come up in your theory test. I used one of these for mine and found it amazingly useful.
The best one to get is from the DSA themselves as they are the people that design and make the theory test. You can get these books in WHSmith or Amazon.
But yeah thats what I really recommend you do.
Hope that helps, and good luck when it comes round :)

Richie
17-01-2010, 05:18 PM
There is a book you can get with all of the questions that are likely to come up in your theory test. I used one of these for mine and found it amazingly useful.
The best one to get is from the DSA themselves as they are the people that design and make the theory test. You can get these books in WHSmith or Amazon.
But yeah thats what I really recommend you do.
Hope that helps, and good luck when it comes round :)

I have the disc and the book, haven't even opened the book yet, but I will when I can be bothered. Any other tips?

Starburst..x
17-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Personally i found the book better because you could just read a couple of questions every now and then or get others to test you on it.
Ermm are you doing driving lessons yet because you could get your instructor to go over some questions with you?
Other than its pretty much just going over the disc and book as much as you can tbh.

Fifteen
17-01-2010, 05:27 PM
The Imagitech DVD is good, I recommend downloading the audio clips from the disc and putting them on a iPod/MP3 and listening to them, that really helped me (y)

Richie
17-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Personally i found the book better because you could just read a couple of questions every now and then or get others to test you on it.
Ermm are you doing driving lessons yet because you could get your instructor to go over some questions with you?
Other than its pretty much just going over the disc and book as much as you can tbh.

Don't you need a provisional licence for that, you get your provisional licence once you pass your theory don't you?

Blue
17-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Don't you need a provisional licence for that, you get your provisional licence once you pass your theory don't you?

Nope, you apply for provisional, that gets sent, you have lessons and then theory, then probs more lessons, then driving test.

[Jay]
17-01-2010, 06:01 PM
The best way is just to keep repeating the theory test. Eventrually your score will increase. Once you are able to get consistent passes then book the test.

Yoshimitsui
17-01-2010, 06:08 PM
The best thing to do is do all the practice questions (including hazard perception) and on each one review what you did wrong, it does take longer but if you understand why you got the question wrong you are halfway there to getting it right next time. keep doing the questions and do them again.

Once you actually start learning the theory will become slightly easier as you will recognise what effects what more and in the use of road signs.

Slowpoke
17-01-2010, 07:00 PM
I have the disc and the book, haven't even opened the book yet, but I will when I can be bothered. Any other tips?

With that attitude you're never going to get anywhere. I started my lessons on December 14th, passed my theory first time on January 13th and will be taking my practical test in about three weeks after around 24 hours of lessons with an instructor and about 30 hours of driving with family or friends. Just get your head down, revise for the theory and you'll have no problem with it. I only did a few hours of revision a week for three weeks and I walked it. Pay attention in lessons too because no matter how much you disagree with the ways they tell you to perform things, they're right. :P

danzooo
18-01-2010, 08:32 PM

That is clearly not the attitude at all, coming out with stuff like that just shows that you're not determined to pass at all and having a car is a mere afterthought. If you were that keen to get your license you'd have started to pay attention to how to go around roundabouts, the colours of the catseyes on the motorways, what signs mean and all that jazz. You'd also have already started going over theory test notes and the Highway Code, it sounds like you can't be arsed.

But anyway...

You can get CD-ROMs for the PC that not only help with just your theory test but with Hazard Perception aswell, and if you have a Nintendo DS there's games for that which are good practice too. I have the app on my iPhone which is brilliant, the AA Theory test one, £1.79 well spent, goes over the answers with you aswell.

However a Highway Code should be essential, it's basically the textbook of the theory test. Some driving instructors give you one when you start lessons anyway.

Black_Apalachi
27-01-2010, 02:49 AM
I didn't really revise, just did a couple of practice tests before hand. I guess I'm the opposite to you though because I've always paid attention to cars and roads and used to always be asking my dad questions about signs and stuff lol :P.

It's like any exam though but a bit easier because it pretty much relies completely on common sense. Just practice and try and associate things to help you remember.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!