PDA

View Full Version : Chem Help thanks + rep

luce
22-01-2010, 09:34 PM
ok i know the science behind perspex and polymers and i have an answer but i want to know other opinions since my chem teacher is a beast and i need to get this right hahaha..

Can you use perspex to make an oven proof dish - Explain your answer. Literally only have one line to write on so yeah :)!

Stryderman
22-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Im not 100% sure what it is but i thought it was some kind of plastic? So wouldnt it melt :S

Arch
23-01-2010, 04:34 PM
I think perspex when heated can be molded? If thats the question so i guess its a yes?

Pix
23-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Perspex is mainly used as like a replacement for glass and it has a high melting point of like 500 degrees i think or something like that so you probably could use it as an oven proof dish.

luce
23-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Im not 100% sure what it is but i thought it was some kind of plastic? So wouldnt it melt :S

yeah but it depends whether it's thermosetting or thermosoftening i think that may have answered my own question.

I think perspex when heated can be molded? If thats the question so i guess its a yes?

Yeah it has a really high melting point higher then gless at 1000o because it was used for plane windows in WW2.

I think i'm going to go yes because it has a high melting point and is thermosetting.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!