PDA

View Full Version : POTHOLES >:(

Eoin
23-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Just had ma left sump guard ripped of by a big dirty ******* pothole! Was unavoidable as there was a lorry coming the other way! ach wells

anyone else having a bit of pothole misery??

Hecktix
23-01-2010, 05:50 PM
there are loads of potholes because of the ice n snow and tings :(

scott
23-01-2010, 05:52 PM
yeah there is loadsssss around here, they started to fill them up but they are starting to just dip down again. Just before my house there is a roudnabout and just as you come off it there is 3 hugeeeeee holes they are really annoying :@

Black_Apalachi
23-01-2010, 06:55 PM
I don't get how snow and ice creates potholes...

Eoin
23-01-2010, 06:57 PM
did you ever do freeze/thaw weathering in geography? same principles

scott
23-01-2010, 06:57 PM
snow goes in the crack water freezes which makes it bigger and then it just keeps going till it makes a huge hole:D i think......lol

Aidenn
23-01-2010, 07:00 PM
I don't get how snow and ice creates potholes...
Water gets into Cracks, the -*C Freeze the water causing it to turn to ice expanding the crack, and then the water melts and repeats, then you get huge potholes.

Black_Apalachi
23-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Oh right, I didn't think that took effect so severely in such a short time.

tdi
25-01-2010, 12:43 AM
You can appeal against potholes relating to vehicle damage. Return to wherever you hit the pothole with a camera and a tape measure. Take lots of pictures of said pothole, including some which show you measuring it (in diameter, depth, etc) .. then, take pictures of the damage of the car.

Take the car to a garage and get a quote to repair the damage, even though it's really easy to repair yourself.. Get a written quote.

Write to the council (or email, but 'in writing' is more effective) including a copy of the written quote and the pictures, with an explanation of what happened. Wait for them to get back to you.

Watch your sump too, I've been through 3.. so I'm getting a custom sump guard next week.

Slowpoke
25-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Nightmare all over the UK at the moment. They've filled some in here but they've done a pretty crap job. :D

Inspiration
25-01-2010, 05:35 PM
aha you should see Ireland :P

Immenseman
25-01-2010, 05:40 PM
you should try living in devon

wait we don't have roads

-:Undertaker:-
25-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Sadly we 'don't have enough money' to repair our own roads, and prefer giving our money elsewhere so other countries such as Spain so they can have nice new roads while ours fall apart. My street being a prime example, you'd be forgiven for thinking its Beirut.

jackass
25-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Loads of potholes here recently - so annoying! :@

Fivas
25-01-2010, 09:45 PM
I have them all over the place and when they get filled it's with crappy black tar stuff which wares away really fast. it's rubbish >:{

Slowpoke
25-01-2010, 11:27 PM
There's this huge one at the end of of my street that I keep driving into and it's doing my lovely tyres no good! Just before I set off I'm always like "gonna avoid it today" but by the time I get to it I forget about it and don't notice it! :@

Black_Apalachi
26-01-2010, 12:02 AM
There's this huge one at the end of of my street that I keep driving into and it's doing my lovely tyres no good! Just before I set off I'm always like "gonna avoid it today" but by the time I get to it I forget about it and don't notice it! :@

That reminded me of Groundhog Day!!! Where each day he steps in a big puddle and eventually he remembers to avoid it :D.

Blinger1
26-01-2010, 12:41 AM
Cant you guys just avoid the potholes or slow down ?

Black_Apalachi
26-01-2010, 01:23 AM
They're not really that obvious, I mean you don't really drive staring at the ground. Most of them are filled with rain anyway so they just look like puddles.

tdi
26-01-2010, 01:58 AM
i drive staring at the ground lol, it comes as instinct when your car's about an inch off the ground. :P

Black_Apalachi
26-01-2010, 02:08 AM
I used to drive a Mini and I didn't even do that! :P

Starburst..x
26-01-2010, 05:45 PM
I went down one the other week, it was that big I probably could of laid down in it. Unfortunately I didnt see it until the last minute, so I went down it and my hub cap came flying off.
I went to put air in my tyres today only to find a big bulge in the tyre today. It was lucky I checked because I was about to go onto the motorway.
******* potholes!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!