PDA

View Full Version : Chemistry Experts +REP

luce
31-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Oils are made of triglycerides, which are three fatty acid molecules joined to a smaller molecule called glycerol.

Explain how the molecular structure of a triglyceride affects its melting point. Draw a diagram to help you.

THANKS

DieselShaq
31-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Oils are unsaturated fats, i.e. they consist of double bonds. A double bond would create kinks in the triglyceride molecules and, as a result, prevent them from being packed closely together which ultimately gives the oil a lower melting point.

MrGazet
31-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Well,

Fats & oils are made up of two parts namely fatty acids & glycerol.

Fats & oils are classified as saturated and unsaturated.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SGvCoX_baU4/SyC4FCCDu-I/AAAAAAAABC0/C0upjN3V4F4/s320/fat_f2.jpg

Saturated fats are esters of saturated fatty acids which contain only single C-C bond.There is NO double C=C bond in their hydrocarbon chain.Saturated fats have higher melting points because of the intermolecular forces of attraction are stronger than in unsaturated fatty acids.

Unsaturated fats on the other hand are esters of unsaturated fatty acids which contain double C=C bond in their hydrocarbon chain.Hence,they contain single C-C bond and double C=C bond in their hydrocarbon chain.They have lower melting point due to the weaker intermolecular forces of attraction compared to saturated fats.

Hope this helps :)

LoveToStack
06-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Oils are unsaturated fats, i.e. they consist of double bonds. A double bond would create kinks in the triglyceride molecules and, as a result, prevent them from being packed closely together which ultimately gives the oil a lower melting point.

you'd get marks for naming the intermolecular forces as Van der Waals as well probably. As well as making reference to the fact that said forces are a reflection of the mp because of they define the amount of energy required to change state etc etc.

luce
06-02-2010, 08:57 AM
thanks for all your replies they match with the guessed answer i put down :eusa_danc +rep for all

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!