PDA

View Full Version : SixForm Courses Help!

Madox
04-02-2010, 02:07 PM
So i will starting sixform in september, and i was hoping to go throught the path of Computing and Desgin like graphics and arcutect, so i was thinking about choosing IT - MEDIA - GAME DESIGN - GRAPHICS, but at the sixform they also do a BTEC INTRO DIP IT, i was wodnering what this is? is it like an repeat of a GCSE? at school people say that the BTEC is for the dumber kids and the unis wont consdier you with this? is it true im really confused?

Charlottay!
09-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Btec national diplomas are what u study solidly and contain more cswk and things in them.

Id suggest go the alevel route as you leave ur options open as to what u can do and u study a larger variety. Depending on the university course is if they would rather have alevels or Btec. top unis prefer alevels i think though. goes on the ucas rating system anyway

Misawa
10-02-2010, 12:12 AM
BTEC is essentially like retaking your GCSEs with a load of coursework to unlock further education like an HND.

By the way, it's Sixth Form.

clueless
10-02-2010, 09:33 PM
btec is nothing like retaking gcses lol :S

BeanEgg
10-02-2010, 10:30 PM
BTECs are not for 'dumb' people. It depends what level you do, if you do level 1-2, then that's the foundation/ GCSE stage. If you do Level 3, that's A Level equivalent. BTECs are somewhat harder than A Levels in some subjects.
Universities do also consider BTECs, but mostly Level 3.

TickTockTickTock
10-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Sixth Form.

Smits
10-02-2010, 10:44 PM
btecs are not retaking GCSEs lmaoo. If you wanted to do that, you just do the subject again...

Level 3 btec is equivelent to 3 A levels and can easily lead to a good uni providing you get the grades, aim for DDD all way through and your sorted. No exams, all coursework.

N!ck
11-02-2010, 12:02 AM
A level 3 BTEC is a level 3 BTEC. It is not 3 A-levels no matter what anyone tells you.

Do A-levels.

today
11-02-2010, 12:12 AM
i would choose A levels.

Black_Apalachi
11-02-2010, 01:29 AM
Lol we used to call each other BTECs in my AS/A2 Business class just as an insult :P

ifuseekamy
11-02-2010, 03:41 AM
Unless you're looking to get into a top 20 uni, which I doubt, then it doesn't matter whether you're doing BTECs or mickey mouse A levels like media and IT. Look at the courses and choose which is better for you.

Jordy
11-02-2010, 07:41 AM
You can forget becoming an architect though, first of all it helps being able to spell it. You also need to take rather academic subjects to do it, mathematics at the very least and then the likes of physics and chemistry.

I'd also suggest you seriously look into how difficult it is to be part of the game industry. The university courses don't help and game developers don't really consider degrees as useful. It is also heavily over-subscribed and it's tending to move on to the likes of India & China where they can get people to make games cheaper. It's a very difficult industry to get into unless you happen to have contacts within it or already have decent experience in making games.

Madox
12-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted something which could help, to the ones who corrected on my speeling and saying " IT AND MEDIA" are mikey mouse sujects not taking any notice, its not an exam so idc really about speeling on a HABBO forum, and thanks to everyone i will not be taking this course i was just curious about that course what it was like or what it is beacuse it had to do with it :) anyway +REP if i can to everyone who helped

luce
12-02-2010, 06:50 PM
You can forget becoming an architect though, first of all it helps being able to spell it. You also need to take rather academic subjects to do it, mathematics at the very least and then the likes of physics and chemistry.

I'd also suggest you seriously look into how difficult it is to be part of the game industry. The university courses don't help and game developers don't really consider degrees as useful. It is also heavily over-subscribed and it's tending to move on to the likes of India & China where they can get people to make games cheaper. It's a very difficult industry to get into unless you happen to have contacts within it or already have decent experience in making games.

it's **** easy to become one actually you can get an apprenticeship with them you don't need to go all the way through uni like some people do.

Also do whatever they need you do to to get as far as you can in your profession.

Jordy
12-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted something which could help, to the ones who corrected on my speeling and saying " IT AND MEDIA" are mikey mouse sujects not taking any notice, its not an exam so idc really about speeling on a HABBO forum, and thanks to everyone i will not be taking this course i was just curious about that course what it was like or what it is beacuse it had to do with it :) anyway +REP if i can to everyone who helpedI simply suggested you took "Academic Subjects" seeing as the likes of architecture require them.

Say what you like but you asked for opinions and I'm just trying to help you. If I'm being completely honest, you won't get to become either a game developer or architect if you continue with those subject choices. When you're struggling to get on a university course you might wish you took some careers advice rather than making up your own entry requirements.

You cannot get into architecture without an A Level in Maths, any university will tell you that and FYI they don't think much too non-academic subjects either. Here's what Bath for example have to say, a reasonably good university; http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/EUG-R2&progCode=UUUR2-H202

it's **** easy to become one actually you can get an apprenticeship with them you don't need to go all the way through uni like some people do.

Also do whatever they need you do to to get as far as you can in your profession.Apprenticeships are very uncommon in architecture, generally won't make you as qualified as a architect who has a degree and they still require A Levels.

Madox
12-02-2010, 10:56 PM
anyway ive looked at some uni's, ive seen the types of courses they do, im thing about doing maybe software engineering, ive looked at what they subject inclueds im kind of intrested in it, its basically to desgin, create and maintain software systems. im mean theres like 50 courses to do with IT very hard top choose one(AT A UNI, I taken advice from jordy and looked at some uni's)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!