PDA

View Full Version : NBA

Arch
09-02-2010, 02:28 AM
Was just curious how many of you actually follow the NBA, or just watch it.

If you do post your fav team :P

I have like a few

Toronto Raptors, Denver Nuggets, Boston Celtics, and the Suns :)

Black_Apalachi
09-02-2010, 03:02 AM
I was at a Knicks game a couple years ago and it was so boring lol

Arch
09-02-2010, 04:42 AM
Tbh i find basketball one of the more fun sports to watch.

This will probably anger alot of people but soccer (american soccer) i find really boring cuz i mean they only score a few goals a game same with hockey but in basketball its always fast paced.

just my opinion although everyones is different :P

Black_Apalachi
09-02-2010, 07:18 AM
That's what I like about football compared to other sports; the scores are usually very close rather than it going to like 30-12. The latter of which imo is just boring

Browney
09-02-2010, 07:29 AM
You can never compare the feeling of a goal that has come in the last minute of extra time to win you a tight, but previously goal-less final after all the tension in you was building for 90 minutes to a hoop in basketball. Football has less goals, yes, but each one of them means so much more.

Arch
09-02-2010, 12:37 PM
That is true, although its just boring well for me atleast. I mean when they score that goal it would be really exciting but the last 90 minutes seems like a waste of going back and forth.

Anyways i dont really care lmao i was just wondering what peoples fav teams were if they watched :P

Eoin
09-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Mon the Celtics like!

DieselShaq
09-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Uh, yeah, just look at my signature LOL

Basketball is fast paced (due to the 24-second shot clock) and generally why I prefer watching it over football. In basketball, the momentum can just switch so quickly from one team to another that even a 20-point deficit can mean nothing in the end. I remember when the Lakers came back from 20 points down at then end of the first quarter to win game 4 against the Sacramento Kings in the Western Conference Finals.

Sorry for the bad quality, but here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp19op8uK1E) you go.

Another epic moment (better than the goal in "last minute of extra time to win you a tight, but previously goal-less final" in football) from basketball was when Derek Fisher hit a shot with 0.4s left in the game to win it for the Lakers over Spurs. If you don't feel like watching everything, just watch the first 11 seconds, then skip to 1:42 here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR7Z1Pq2s5I).

Last epic moment, again from the Lakers, is Kobe Bryant's two buzzer-beating three's, one in regulation to tie and another in 2OT to win the game against Portland: here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH-0gLhqpJg).

Basketball really rarely gets boring with all the killer crossovers, alley-oop action, big time rejections and circus shots. In football, though, passing can be the name of the game and it just gets really boring. Oh and one more thing that puts basketball over football, the cheerleaders :D

Black_Apalachi
09-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Those are some amazing clips :) I'm not gonna argue about which sport has the better build-up with more epic moments because football is more important to me as basketball is more important to you so we will never agree. I doubt I will ever see a more mesmerising sporting event than the Champions League final of 2005. Of course that's biased but I've never heard anyone deny how awesome that was - regardless of what football team they support. The speed of basketball is reduced for me with all the time outs and breaks, I just find it really frustrating to watch like that even though as you've pointed out, it does have its epic moments as do all sports.

Anyway, in that second Lakers clip, why do they all run into the dressing room before they find out whether it is going to be given or not?!

DieselShaq
09-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Yeah, we're never going to agree. There's no point in an "argument" for this. Of course, the timeouts during the course of the game and occasional extended free throw shooting time (mostly by Tim Duncan) does make it frustrating at times for me as well, but it's part of the game and doesn't really happen in most games. I guess another thing that kinda puts basketball ahead of football is that the timezones make the "big games", namely Champions League finals and night games in Europe all like, 3 AM or 4 AM over here when I'm asleep.

I'm not so sure about why the run to the lockers, but I'm guessing it's because it was the playoffs and the rivalry between San Antonio and the Lakers is just quite big and they don't want to hear it from the fans in San Antonio if the refs disallowed it.

Black_Apalachi
09-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Oh haha yeah makes sense. Basketball is the same btw; it's only on our TVs in the middle of the night too :P

DieselShaq
09-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Oh right yeah, 'cause games are all night time Eastern except the Sunday afternoon ones lol.

Geraint
09-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Basketball is boring but I like to see the Bulls do well.

-Heart
09-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I support the Nuggets.

Arch
10-02-2010, 02:05 AM
Yeah no point in arguing cuz everyone is different:P

but yeah bulls are alright and ye i like the nuggets :)

Blinger1
10-02-2010, 02:10 AM
Yeah no point in arguing cuz everyone is different:P

but yeah bulls are alright and ye i like the nuggets :)
I remember playing NBA on the gameboy (original gameboy) as the bulls with scotty pippen, michael jordon and some other guy.

I enjoy watching some of the dunks they do, because the hangtime is insane.

Stryderman
10-02-2010, 04:19 AM
I like the NBA games? :P

DieselShaq
10-02-2010, 03:00 PM
One thing I don't like about the NBA is that it hypes LeBron up too much. He's known for his chase-down blocks and they get on the Daily Top Ten every time he does it, but when someone else does it to him, they never show it.

Arch
10-02-2010, 10:08 PM
I like the NBA games? :P

same, 2k8 and 2k10 are pretty good :)

I remember playing NBA on the gameboy (original gameboy) as the bulls with scotty pippen, michael jordon and some other guy.

I enjoy watching some of the dunks they do, because the hangtime is insane.

I cant see an NBA game being fun for gameboy

One thing I don't like about the NBA is that it hypes LeBron up too much. He's known for his chase-down blocks and they get on the Daily Top Ten every time he does it, but when someone else does it to him, they never show it.

its true they do hype him up alottttttt

Simmzay
10-02-2010, 10:15 PM
I like Utah Jazz for no particular reason.

Blinger1
10-02-2010, 10:18 PM
I cant see an NBA game being fun for gameboy
back in the day it was good.

Simmzay
10-02-2010, 10:20 PM
NBA Jam was always fun.

Blinger1
10-02-2010, 10:22 PM
That game, was it called Space Jam (?) that was good

brandon
10-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Yeah I love NBA Basketball and yet this time last year I didn't know much at all about it. I still don't understand all the rules fully but I'm learning all the time.

I support Orlando Magic

DieselShaq
10-02-2010, 10:27 PM
I can help you out with understanding the rules if you want. I'm insane over the NBA...

Simmzay
10-02-2010, 10:29 PM
That game, was it called Space Jam (?) that was good
Space Jam was a movie.

Geraint
10-02-2010, 10:40 PM
it was also a class game.

Arch
11-02-2010, 12:14 AM
I can help you out with understanding the rules if you want. I'm insane over the NBA...

i always get confused how many steps can you take? when going for a lay up or w/e Isn't it 3?

Yeah I love NBA Basketball and yet this time last year I didn't know much at all about it. I still don't understand all the rules fully but I'm learning all the time.

I support Orlando Magic

yeah there are alot of rules :P

DieselShaq
11-02-2010, 09:28 AM
i always get confused how many steps can you take? when going for a lay up or w/e Isn't it 3?

yeah there are alot of rules :P
I see you've been watching too many LeBron highlights. The actual number of steps allowed is "two and a half". Sounds ridiculous, yeah? The "half" step is when you jump, catch the ball in midair and then land. You are allowed another two steps after landing. In FIBA (International competitions), though, you are just allowed two steps.

LeBron always gets away with travels and is surely no role model for those learning to play the game =)

Callum.
11-02-2010, 09:37 AM
I follow Rockets and play at school and out and about.

You can never compare the feeling of a goal that has come in the last minute of extra time to win you a tight, but previously goal-less final after all the tension in you was building for 90 minutes to a hoop in basketball. Football has less goals, yes, but each one of them means so much more.

Buzzer beaters are just as good.

Browney
11-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Buzzer beaters are just as good.

Oh, to make it 70 - 57? The tighter the margin, the more pressure. Look how many times football fans rue late goals, a bad decision, because 1 marginal minute can shape the match and who wins the cup for example. More underdogs can win in football than in a game with high margins such as Basketball or Rugby.

DieselShaq
11-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Oh, to make it 70 - 57? The tighter the margin, the more pressure. Look how many times football fans rue late goals, a bad decision, because 1 marginal minute can shape the match and who wins the cup for example. More underdogs can win in football than in a game with high margins such as Basketball or Rugby.
Didn't you see the buzzer beaters I posted? The "bad decisions" in football are overwhelmingly high. Some of the time, the ball is past the white line but the goalkeeper "saves" it back out and none of the referees actually see it. Basketball is made so much fairer in this sense 'cause they actually use replays.

And like I said, the momentum in basketball can shift so quickly that a large margin can mean absolutely nothing within 2 minutes.

brandon
11-02-2010, 10:01 PM
I agree in a way. Every 2 point basket in basketball equates to what approximately about 2% of your teams scoring.

But when you get into the last quarter or so in tight games, every bucket tends to have quite a lot of meaning and I think Callum was referring to buzzer beaters at the end of the 4th quarter which can win or lose a game. Literally half a second can win or lose a game at times.

Browney
11-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Didn't you see the buzzer beaters I posted? The "bad decisions" in football are overwhelmingly high. Some of the time, the ball is past the white line but the goalkeeper "saves" it back out and none of the referees actually see it. Basketball is made so much fairer in this sense 'cause they actually use replays.

And like I said, the momentum in basketball can shift so quickly that a large margin can mean absolutely nothing within 2 minutes.

I wouldn't have football any other way! If I went into the pub and said "yeah, everything was fine" what the hell would I talk about the rest of the night? :P And yes, but those are incomparable to all the times worldwide that football matches have been won in the last minute. And that's because the margins are smaller! But your final point can be applied to any sport. Liverpool in the Champions League final? I can't see a basketball match getting drawn back from 60 - 0 to 60 - 60. But you get that in football.

DieselShaq
11-02-2010, 10:23 PM
I wouldn't have football any other way! If I went into the pub and said "yeah, everything was fine" what the hell would I talk about the rest of the night? :P And yes, but those are incomparable to all the times worldwide that football matches have been won in the last minute. And that's because the margins are smaller! But your final point can be applied to any sport. Liverpool in the Champions League final? I can't see a basketball match getting drawn back from 60 - 0 to 60 - 60. But you get that in football.
I don't see a basketball match going 60-0 to begin with.

Madox
12-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Miami Heat all the way ;) dwayne wade mvp matee not lebron, lebron sucks, kobe bryant is aalight but dwayne wade is a rising young star

Browney
12-02-2010, 07:40 PM
I don't see a basketball match going 60-0 to begin with.

Theoretical of course.

brandon
12-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Miami Heat all the way ;) dwayne wade mvp matee not lebron, lebron sucks, kobe bryant is aalight but dwayne wade is a rising young star
28's not young! He's 3 years older than LeBron.

I'd say Kevin Durant or Derrick Rose are the rising young stars of the NBA right now.

Arch
12-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Durant is a rising star aswell tbh

DieselShaq
13-02-2010, 05:19 AM
Dwyane Wade is so rubbish this season.

Arch
13-02-2010, 02:10 PM
28's not young! He's 3 years older than LeBron.

I'd say Kevin Durant or Derrick Rose are the rising young stars of the NBA right now.

Durant is a rising star aswell tbh

I didnt see you wrote Durant my bad :P

Dwyane Wade is so rubbish this season.

yeah same with carter

DieselShaq
16-02-2010, 02:33 PM
The All Star Dunk Contest was a huge disappointment...

brandon
16-02-2010, 11:35 PM
The All Star Dunk Contest was a huge disappointment...

Dwight's dunk in the actual game was better than any of them. I loved it when Charles Barkley said "maybe nobody won" :L

I thought it was okay at the time but afterwards I went and watched the 2008 and 2009 ones on YouTube and I could tell the difference. Like the one where someone blew out the candle while dunking the ball.

Arch
16-02-2010, 11:58 PM
I missed the Allstar game and dunk contest :(

17-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Being from Cleveland, I'm a Cavs fan. LeBron, Shaq, Mo, Z, JJ, Delonte. Best team in the league. And now we're going after Amare Stoudemire? Unstoppable.

DieselShaq
17-02-2010, 01:49 AM
Being from Cleveland, I'm a Cavs fan. LeBron, Shaq, Mo, Z, JJ, Delonte. Best team in the league. And now we're going after Amare Stoudemire? Unstoppable.
lol you think Amar'e and Shaq can coexist?

Arch
17-02-2010, 01:54 AM
^ yeah thats wont happen and if it does it doesnt make sence cuz dont they still have that other Centre? whos pretty good aswell. Anyways yerr i watched the dunk contest on youtube it was garbage...

Nothing will compare too 2000 dunk contest VC allday

DieselShaq
17-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Mike Brown would just move Varejao to center. But seriously, I hate Varejao. He should win like, Flopper of the Year or something. Nobody pisses me off more than LeBron does, though.

Arch
18-02-2010, 12:24 AM
Meh, i don't mind Lebron (but he is made out better then he actuallly is) although you probably hate him more since your a Lakers fan.

brandon
18-02-2010, 12:45 AM
Cavs got Antawn Jamison! :(

Arch
18-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Who won the 3 point shooting? too lazy to look up and who was in it

Callum.
18-02-2010, 01:35 AM
Who won the 3 point shooting? too lazy to look up and who was in it

paul pearce. wasn't exactly an amazing line up

Blinger1
18-02-2010, 01:38 AM
Space Jam was a movie.
and a game on the PS1, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpOQeEu-PKY

Arch
18-02-2010, 02:21 AM
paul pearce. wasn't exactly an amazing line up

Ahh alright thx :)

Paul pierce must be getting old now though ? Same with Ray Allen ? (Well not OLD OLD, but old for sports i mean:P)

DieselShaq
18-02-2010, 02:53 AM
Another thing about Ilgauskas being traded: he's gonna be bought out and will return to the Cavs after 30 days, I bet.

Jamison being traded to the Cavs doesn't really worry me. It's not like LeBron will give up his nightly stat line of 30-8-8 anyway. He'll continue to put up those numbers and be hyped up as much as possible, whilst Jamison's stats will decrease.

Me hating LeBron doesn't have much to do with his ball game, but his personality. I mean, he was talking about the free agent market in 2010 (when he'll be a free agent) back in 2008! There's no sense in doing that. Just getting all the spotlight and stuff. And what about him not shaking hands with the Orlando Magic and skipping the media interview after the Cavs lost to them in the 2009 Eastern Conference Finals? He claims "nobody shakes hands after losing" and eventually apologised about the media, but that was only after he was fined USD 25,000. I really want to see teams not shaking hands with him after they lose to the Cavs in the playoffs this year.

Arch
18-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Never knew he did that, sore loser tbh

Also they get fined ?

DieselShaq
19-02-2010, 01:32 AM
Yes, players can get fined for misconduct.

-Heart
19-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Good to see the Northwest Div. doing well, especially my Nuggets up in 2nd (H).

DieselShaq
20-02-2010, 02:12 AM
You know another thing about LeBron? He dances during games when the Cavs are up big and that's just bad for the other team. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kroxmCZUgQ4

Arch
21-02-2010, 05:38 PM
What did noah even say to lebron ?
and ye didn't the cavs lose to the nuggets the other night? that was a shocker tbh

LuketheDuke
21-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Indiana Pacers fan, having a mare of a season so far!

We aint been the same since Reggie retired, our team at the moment is injury played which is annoying as its gonna make our all star (Danny Granger) want a move elsewhere.

And another thing about Lebron, the "crab dribble"...

DieselShaq
22-02-2010, 03:06 AM
Honestly, the Pacers need to make moves and being unable to move Troy Murphy by the trade deadline is gonna haunt them for a while...

Arch
22-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Pacers always beat the Raptors :(

DieselShaq
25-02-2010, 01:02 PM
My new favourite website, y'all: http://ihatelebronjames.com/

brandon
25-02-2010, 09:20 PM
My new favourite website, y'all: http://ihatelebronjames.com/

I liked it when he got elbowed in the face by Dwight Howard

Arch
27-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Cavs gonna kill the raptors without bosh :(

Arch
08-03-2010, 01:11 AM
Sorry for double but just thought i'd post

went to see a raptors game live today vs. the 76ers they lost but
seriously so much more fun watching the games like at the place then on tv

Callum.
19-03-2010, 06:18 PM
4 win streak and got Celtics tonight. Come on Rockets.

DieselShaq
21-03-2010, 02:50 AM
Lakers make playoffs for the 29th time in 31 years of the Dr Jerry Buss era!
In related news, Lamar Odom and Shannon Brown shatter the world record of 10 free throws made by a pair in a minute with 25!!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!