PDA

View Full Version : First female Referee - Football League

United-Clowgon
12-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Amy Fearn came on for the last 20 mins of the Coventry V Forest game on Tuesday night when the original ref, Tony Bates, limped off injured.

Amy Fearn came on for the last 20 mins of the Coventry V Forest game on Tuesday night when the original ref, Tony Bates, limped off injured.

Would you be happy with a female ref in the Premiership or in charge of your clubs games? Thoughts please.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/02/10/article-1250037-08383F0F000005DC-6_306x475.jpg

fit and a half, i like fit blokes, good package he she's got. :D

Clinton Morrison, who played in the game:

Quote:
“I thought she did really well and she should definitely get to do it again. She must have been nervous – as any referee would on their first game but she was not overawed and really kept the game flowing.

“In the first half when she was running the line, she made a good decision and I patted her on the shoulder. I got some stick from the Forest fans but I told them you should always respect a lady.

“There was no dissent at all when she was in charge and no bad language. It would have been interesting if there had been any controversy but there wasn't because she did a very good job.

“At the end of the day, there is only one thing that matters about the person in charge – and that is how good a referee they are.”

Meree.
12-02-2010, 05:47 PM
In my opinion, as long as she does the job she's being paid to do correctly, then it makes no difference to me.

-Heart
12-02-2010, 05:49 PM
The horror.. THE HORROR :(.

StefanWolves
12-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Lets not got sexist no, lads!

You can't exactly call that a woman though.

But good luck to her.

TickTockTickTock
12-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Last line sums it up.

Meree.
12-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Agreed really. Alot of people would just disagree because of her gender, and it's usually male managers, male football players, male medics, male referee's etc. But yeah fair enough, if she's a good referee then I dont see the problem.

Adamm
12-02-2010, 06:07 PM
It's well known that women struggle to make decisions:

What to wear for a night out.
Whether she likes boy number 1 or boy number 2
White wine or red wine?

It's this that I have trouble with because as a referee you are required to make split second decisions and not take hours mulling over multiple outcomes.

However, if the woman can overcome that abnormality then I have no problem with them being referees - so long as they can actually do the job to the required standard.

luce
12-02-2010, 06:12 PM

White wine or red wine?

It's this that I have trouble with because as a referee you are required to make split second decisions and not take hours mulling over multiple outcomes.

However, if the woman can overcome that abnormality then I have no problem with them being referees - so long as they can actually do the job to the required standard.

Well from those quotes it's obvious they can. And i think those are very intreting points there was no decsent because all the men respect her and no bad language? Well then women refs are the way forward because anything that decreases the current level of decsent and swearing on the pitch is good.

Good luck to her and i hope she doesn't get stopped by some ignorant men with a below average education.

StefanWolves
12-02-2010, 06:16 PM

White wine or red wine?

Wow you need to have sex.

Adamm
12-02-2010, 06:18 PM
I wasn't being serious, it's stereotypical humour.

Ardemax
12-02-2010, 06:19 PM
I wouldn't mind if a pr0n star came on in a bikini... JOKING ;l

but yeah, she's just like any normal ref

StefanWolves
12-02-2010, 06:20 PM
If you say so ;)

Adamm
12-02-2010, 06:20 PM
However I do agree with what you said :P.

United-Clowgon
12-02-2010, 06:39 PM
She's a man eater.

luce
12-02-2010, 06:44 PM
L O L

I wonder how long it will be until they break into the PL

Eoin
12-02-2010, 06:52 PM
jesus, what a brute

AlexOC
12-02-2010, 08:30 PM
******* beast.

Arron
12-02-2010, 08:41 PM
I've always wondered why women don't referee in the football leagues. I think it'd be so much better if they're good at their job!

I mean, take for example the Champions League Semi-Final last year, Chelsea vs. Barcelona. In the last minute, Ballack believed Chelsea should've had a penalty and he literally chased down the referee and started shouting abuse. Could you imagine him doing this to a woman?

AlexOC
12-02-2010, 08:47 PM
I've always wondered why women don't referee in the football leagues. I think it'd be so much better if they're good at their job!

I mean, take for example the Champions League Semi-Final last year, Chelsea vs. Barcelona. In the last minute, Ballack believed Chelsea should've had a penalty and he literally chased down the referee and started shouting abuse. Could you imagine him doing this to a woman?

I can imagine him doing it to that machine posted at the top. I can then imagine him getting a left hook.

Beast!

Geraint
12-02-2010, 11:31 PM
If she's good enough, why not but everyone will **** her off cause she's female. One bad decision and everything will fly her way.

CHA!NGANG
13-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Been a bit talking point on the radio for the last week and there are some points for and against obviously.

In the long run no I don't think they should be. I'm not being sexist or anything and actually I was thinking about this a while back but there were some good points raised like how would a woman know about the atmosphere in derbys and the such. How would she know how to calm the players at these big games. With a male they do have some power beyond cards. They can defend themselves too if needed and that's why most players do eventually go with the decision. Women wouldn't have that power and would have to rely on cards and punishments to stop players from over-reacting and this would lead to more and more players being punished which isn't right. Also they raised the point that even male refs that haven't played before have a problem with deciding what the level of intent is in a challange. A woman would definently have a problem with this and would probably think most fouls are bookable even though they aren't.

There are loads of reasons against it and even though I am all for equality I think this is one job a woman shouldn't do to be honest but then again I can see where everyone else is coming from too.

HotelUser
13-02-2010, 01:44 AM
Been a bit talking point on the radio for the last week and there are some points for and against obviously.

In the long run no I don't think they should be. I'm not being sexist or anything and actually I was thinking about this a while back but there were some good points raised like how would a woman know about the atmosphere in derbys and the such. How would she know how to calm the players at these big games. With a male they do have some power beyond cards. They can defend themselves too if needed and that's why most players do eventually go with the decision. Women wouldn't have that power and would have to rely on cards and punishments to stop players from over-reacting and this would lead to more and more players being punished which isn't right. Also they raised the point that even male refs that haven't played before have a problem with deciding what the level of intent is in a challange. A woman would definently have a problem with this and would probably think most fouls are bookable even though they aren't.

There are loads of reasons against it and even though I am all for equality I think this is one job a woman shouldn't do to be honest but then again I can see where everyone else is coming from too.

From the picture she looks just as intimidating as a male referee. It's not like shes some frail defenseless person or anything.

I didn't know there wasn't female referees already. I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with it at all.

Pix
13-02-2010, 01:45 AM
Is that a women, wow. But yeah i wouldn't mind as long as she does her job correctly.

Richie
13-02-2010, 03:40 AM
A woman referee? :O I'm sorry but I'm shocked that's like asking a woman to build a shed alone.

Its a shame she's not good looking. Oh well **** happens I'm sure it'll be just the same. In some sense its good, woman are very firm and strict, what I can see happen is dozen of red cards being chucked at several players. Oh well imo she should be in the kitchen but like I said **** happens.

HotelUser
13-02-2010, 03:44 AM
A woman referee? :O that's like asking a woman to build a shed alone.

Its a shame she's not good looking. Oh well **** happens I'm sure it'll be just the same. In some sense its good, woman are very firm and strict, what I can see happen is dozen of red cards being chucked at several players. Oh well imo she should be in the kitchen but like I said **** happens.

That's a heck of a lot of stereotyping, Richard. All woman are firm and strict and you can see dozens of red cards being chucked at players? What on earth are you basing your predictions on:S

Richie
13-02-2010, 03:51 AM
That's a heck of a lot of stereotyping, Richard. All woman are firm and strict and you can see dozens of red cards being chucked at players? What on earth are you basing your predictions on:S

I'm not going to turn this thread into a sexist thread, but that's how I feel, opinions are aloud aren't they?

HotelUser
13-02-2010, 03:53 AM
I'm not going to turn this thread into a sexist thread, but that's how I feel, opinions are aloud aren't they?

You're allowed to share your opinion, and I'm allowed to disagree with it. You are allowed to disagree with me disagreeing with your opinion, yes.

But yeah, I do srongly disagree with your opinion:P

Richie
13-02-2010, 04:07 AM
You're allowed to share your opinion, and I'm allowed to disagree with it. You are allowed to disagree with me disagreeing with your opinion, yes.

But yeah, I do srongly disagree with your opinion:P

Alright thats fair enough

Black_Apalachi
13-02-2010, 10:28 AM
The points about women understanding big matches and important situations etc are rubbish because nobody (male or female) is going to be interested in becoming a referee without having any interest and knowledge in the game. I can't think of any reason at all that could be put forward in opposition of allowing women to referee football. If anything, it will reduce the amount of arguing and descent purely because players may be less inclined to argue or be rude to a female. I guess we'll just have to see what happens if they pursue the idea

Catzsy
13-02-2010, 12:04 PM
From the picture she looks just as intimidating as a male referee. It's not like shes some frail defenseless person or anything.

I didn't know there wasn't female referees already. I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with it at all.

I was thinking that - I thought it was a man. Well best to she how she performs as there should be no allowances given for her gender.

Meree.
13-02-2010, 12:10 PM
A woman referee? :O I'm sorry but I'm shocked that's like asking a woman to build a shed alone.

It's a shame she's not good looking? Well, not really. Football is not based around looks, it's about playing your role, and doing it right. Men and woman can both learn the statistics of football the same, it makes no difference. The referee will do what is fair. If a yellow/red card is to be issued, then she shall give it regardless.

Personally, I wouldn't see women as being referee's for several reasons listed above. Like there is sometimes alot of fights on that pitch, that woman may not be able to handle. Regardless of that, I am not sexist and I believe if a woman wants to be the referee of a male footballers game, then she should be allowed without the warrant of critism.

-Heart
13-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Well from those quotes it's obvious they can. And i think those are very intreting points there was no decsent because all the men respect her and no bad language? Well then women refs are the way forward because anything that decreases the current level of decsent and swearing on the pitch is good.

Good luck to her and i hope she doesn't get stopped by some ignorant men with a below average education.
:lol:.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!