PDA

View Full Version : Olympic luger Nodar Kumaritashvili dies after crash

Titch
12-02-2010, 08:58 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47291000/jpg/_47291851_-1.jpg

The death of a luge competitor who left the track at high speed has cast a shadow over the Winter Olympics in Canada ahead of the opening ceremony.

Georgian Nodar Kumaritashvili's sled flipped and he smashed into a steel pole at the Whistler Sliding Centre.

An Olympic official later confirmed the 21-year-old had died as a result.
Training was immediately suspended after the accident, which happened just hours before the ceremony to open the 21st Winter Games in

Vancouver.

Kumaritashvili's sled struck the inside of the track's last turn during his sixth and final training run, sending his body into the air and over a concrete wall.

His sled remained on the track, and the visor from his helmet appeared to continue down the ice.

"Georgian slider Nodar Kumaritashvili has had a serious crash in the final run of official training for the men's singles on Friday," said an official statement initially released.

"He fell out of the track when he crashed. He was treated on site by medical staff who administered CPR, and was then taken away in an ambulance."

The Georgian Olympic delegation later confirmed Kumaritashvili, part of a seven-strong team, had died as a result of his injuries, and suggested the country may subsequently withdraw from the Games.

"We are all in deep shock, we don't know what to do. We don't know whether to take part in the opening ceremony or even the Olympic Games themselves," said delegation head Irakly Japaridze.

"Kumaritashvili was clearly nervous going down the final run, you could see his head sticking up," said BBC Sport's Colin Bryce, a former British bobsleigh competitor.

"He was very scared going down the fast corners.

"It's up to the organisers whether there is such a small percentage chance of that happening again that we continue with the race, or whether we stop."

The track at Whistler, which is shared by the sports of luge, skeleton and bobsleigh, already has a reputation as one of the fastest - and most dangerous - in the world.

In the build-up to the Games several teams had raised concerns about the safety of athletes, who regularly exceed 90mph as they compete, though Kumaritashvili crashed at a corner which had not been previously identified as a danger area.

Before the incident, British skeleton slider Amy Williams told BBC Sport: "I just hope Whistler is safe and that there aren't too many crashes and serious injuries."

Australia's Hannah Campbell-Pegg added: "I think they are pushing it a little too much.

"To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we're crash-test dummies? I mean, this is our lives."
Their comments followed earlier accidents, including one involving gold medal favourite Armin Zoeggeler of Italy and several during women's luge training runs on Wednesday.

Among those to crash was Romania's Violeta Stramaturaru, who was knocked unconscious for a few minutes and taken to hospital.
British skeleton's performance director, Andi Schmid, said a lack of track time for athletes in the run-up to the Games had increased the risk of accidents.

"I would say especially for speed sports you need to have more access to tracks and whoever organises the Olympics needs to offer that," said Schmid during preparations for the Games.

"Not only so that everyone has a fair chance but also because of the danger. We need to be careful so that these sports stay great action sports and don't become dangerous killer sports.

"I'm not saying that will happen but some athletes from other nations are less experienced."

Kumaritashvili competed in five World Cup races this season, finishing 44th in the world standings.

Members of the International Luge Federation were asked to attend a briefing following the crash, and team captains from each nation attended an emergency meeting.

Prior to the Vancouver Games, no Winter Olympic athlete had been killed during an event.

But the 1964 Games in Innsbruck were overshadowed by the deaths of two competitors before it began.

British luger Kazimierz Kay-Skrzypeski was killed during practice two weeks before on the Igls Olympic track, and Australian skier Ross Milne was died during training for the same Games.

A minute's silence for the pair was observed at the opening ceremony.I myself watch luge ALOT and every time they hit this track there are worries about the safety and this will have a major impact on the Olympics.

R.I.P x

Edited by Catzsy (Forum Moderator): Thread closed to off-topic posting and arguements.

Black_Apalachi
13-02-2010, 10:35 AM
It's horrible this. They showed the start of a run on the news and for a second I was scared in case they were about to continue to the accident. Anyway I think this is the first such accident I've ever heard of within these sleigh sports which is quite surprising. Really sad news though

Mathew
13-02-2010, 10:44 AM
A video showing him flipping off the track is on LiveLeak (as everything else is). It was bound to happen, the speed they go on ICE is crazy.. just hours before the opening ceremony too :(

RIP.

Jack.Lfc
13-02-2010, 12:35 PM
How did this pass safety regulations, ridiculus surely everywhere round the thing should be padded and he would have got off with a few bruises.

theres also horrible pic's of it going round too.

r.i.p

Niall!
13-02-2010, 12:54 PM
You know what they say, you win some, you luge some.

Pix
13-02-2010, 12:58 PM
I saw the vid like 5 mins ago and it was so sad, altough i did think he could of survived that but im guessing the speed was just too fast.

-Heart
13-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I saw the vid like 5 mins ago and it was so sad, altough i did think he could of survived that but im guessing the speed was just too fast.
Link??

Meree.
13-02-2010, 12:59 PM
This is terrible :( R.I.P xo

today
13-02-2010, 01:00 PM
You know what they say, you win some, you luge some.
that kinda made me lol.

Edited by iAdam (Forum Super Moderator); Please do not post pointlessly.

Niall!
13-02-2010, 01:17 PM
that kinda made me lol.

I guess you could say it was for the best, his life was always going down-hill

Edited by Catzsy(Forum Moderator): Please do not make pointless posts that could offend. Thanks.

dogboy123
13-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Such trajic news, rip

I think its great they included some memorial in the opening ceremony

Pix
13-02-2010, 01:20 PM
I guess you could say it was for the best, his life was always going down-hill

I ain't someone with no humour but trying to be funny about this..:rolleyes:

Niall!
13-02-2010, 01:22 PM
I ain't someone with no humour but trying to be funny about this..:rolleyes:

One guy died in an extremely dangerous sport, it was obviously going to happen.

Pix
13-02-2010, 01:43 PM
One guy died in an extremely dangerous sport, it was obviously going to happen.

which makes you think "let's crack some jokes"

today
13-02-2010, 01:45 PM
which makes you think "let's crack some jokes"
Jokes lightenin such sad news.

iAdam
13-02-2010, 01:57 PM
This thread isn't for jokes, and I hope I don't see any in the joke section either.

Such bad news, Apparently he was nervous around this track, hope his team do well to commemorate him if they stay in.

Pix
13-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Jokes lightenin such sad news.
You don't "lighten" sad news with jokes.

Arch
13-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Yeah saw this on the news sucks especially when he was prob real excited for it

but about the jokes i found the win some you luge some kinda funny

Niall!
13-02-2010, 02:19 PM
This thread isn't for jokes, and I hope I don't see any in the joke section either.

Such bad news, Apparently he was nervous around this track, hope his team do well to commemorate him if they stay in.

Why can't I post in the jokes section, that's what it's for?

StefanWolves
13-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Wow, so now jokes about the dead aren't allowed? remember when Michael Jackson died? and all those jokes were being thrown around the forum? and their was a huge uproar and management said that jokes were WITHIN the rules and WERE allowed? whats so ******* different? be consistent when moderating for **** sake, its not hard, the jokes are either allowed or not, simple.

Anyway yeah, RIP, don't joke about deaths.

Niall!
13-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Wow, so now jokes about the dead aren't allowed? remember when Michael Jackson died? and all those jokes were being thrown around the forum? and their was a huge uproar and management said that jokes were WITHIN the rules and WERE allowed? whats so ******* different? be consistent when moderating for **** sake, its not hard, the jokes are either allowed or not, simple.

Anyway yeah, RIP, don't joke about deaths.

Agreed. Thanks for seeing sense.

Adamm
13-02-2010, 02:34 PM
It isn't 'bound' to happen at all - this is the first death I've known about in sleighing sports.

Niall!
13-02-2010, 02:40 PM
It isn't 'bound' to happen at all - this is the first death I've known about in sleighing sports.

A British luger was killed in 1964.

Pix
13-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Agreed. Thanks for seeing sense.

He wasn't supporting the "making jokes" side, he was criticizing the management on jokes about the dead.

Adamm
13-02-2010, 02:41 PM
A British luger was killed in 1964.
Exactly my point.

46 years ago.

So it isn't bound to happen.

StefanWolves
13-02-2010, 02:48 PM
He wasn't supporting the "making jokes" side, he was criticizing the management on jokes about the dead.
I wasn't supporting any side actually. People can make jokes if they want, I won't laugh at them, and I won't agree with them, because they are actually sick. But its their choice, just because I don't find them funny doesn't mean that its not right. (Even though every should think that is isn't right, cause it actually isn't, it's disgusting)

Make the jokes if you want, it's your choice if you want to mock someone who is dead. (sounds sad, and yes it is.)

Bun
13-02-2010, 02:49 PM

i hope you mean that in the moral sense and not the deluded moderator sense?

tragic news, RIP.

Niall!
13-02-2010, 03:12 PM
My -rep reads: Insensitive an stuoid

hurr durr

Also, I'll joke about whatever I want thanks.

Oh and yes it is bound to happen, speeding down a thing of ice at 89mph with nothing to protect you? Sounds completely safe.

Pix
13-02-2010, 03:12 PM
just because I don't find them funny doesn't mean that its not right.

Give me one reason for why mocking a dead person could be right.

Adamm
13-02-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm not trying to morally justify it but when I'm dead I want people to be happy, cracking jokes. If I was run over by a bus and they said something witty about a bus that's what I'd want. I'd hate for people to be depressed.

Just me though.

Bun
13-02-2010, 03:15 PM
cos they can't mock you back.

Pix
13-02-2010, 03:19 PM

i fail to find that amusing.

Bun
13-02-2010, 03:23 PM
i fail to find that amusing.
i fail to care.

this winter olympics is laughable, like 30 of the athletes who were supposed to go have been done for drugging.

Black_Apalachi
13-02-2010, 03:46 PM
How did this pass safety regulations, ridiculus surely everywhere round the thing should be padded and he would have got off with a few bruises.

theres also horrible pic's of it going round too.

r.i.p

An expert or whatever said the track is fine, it's just he didn't compensate for the final bend properly and that caused him to come off

Jack.Lfc
13-02-2010, 04:07 PM

Hahaha!

&

But surley there shudnd be big poles like that what he hit?

Black_Apalachi
13-02-2010, 07:24 PM
I dunno haven't seen the video yet lol. Sounds like he flew right out of the track though which I think is a very rare thing to happen

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!