PDA

View Full Version : Philosophy and Rs a level

luce
26-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Right i know the RS alevel i was going to take was 50& ethics and 50% philosophy but i have now been offered to take a full philosophy and i was just wondering how these courses are looked on by unis because i want to do law.

Also the positives and negatives of each i love both and have already read some AS material and yeah just really wanted opinions, i only found out we offer philosophy today as it's new for next year and only a select bunch are allowed to take it.

+rep for good help

(i wonder how long it will take oli to post in here)

FlyingJesus
26-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Considering that you should have a module on ethics I'd imagine it ought to go nicely with law, and even if not it really teaches you to think and helps build exam/coursework writing techniques pretty well. That aside it's certainly a lot of fun if you have a decent teacher and classmates who aren't useless.

Obviously there isn't a select job sector for philosophers as such these days (only as philosophy professors or writers I guess) but the skills side of it really can look good, and it always sounds important when you call yourself a philosophy scholar :P

luce
26-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Considering that you should have a module on ethics I'd imagine it ought to go nicely with law, and even if not it really teaches you to think and helps build exam/coursework writing techniques pretty well. That aside it's certainly a lot of fun if you have a decent teacher and classmates who aren't useless.

Obviously there isn't a select job sector for philosophers as such these days (only as philosophy professors or writers I guess) but the skills side of it really can look good, and it always sounds important when you call yourself a philosophy scholar :P

haha yeah so i think i would be more interested in two years of philosophy and really learning it and know what im talking about then on module on it because it's just an introduction in the RS alevel as apposed to the deeper study in the philosophy alevel.

Nixt
26-02-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm quite sure universities like philosophy as a subject. When I first went to sixth form I took Philosophy and Ethics A Level and I think at least 6 people out of my class of around 20 went to Oxbridge, so if they like it, most universities will :P.

Inseriousity.
26-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Yeah, the skills you require from these analytical subjects are likely to be helpful! It's sometimes seen as a dull subject but I've found it engaging and sometimes even annoying (as I have to change my narrow-minded views that I've held for so long!)

luce
26-02-2010, 06:45 PM
well my choices will look like

Philosophy
Psychology
Economics
History

I think that should be strong enough to get into law if i get the top grades :D!

Nixt
26-02-2010, 07:33 PM
well my choices will look like

Philosophy
Psychology
Economics
History

I think that should be strong enough to get into law if i get the top grades :D!

Most certainly. What are you intending to do after your degree?

luce
26-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Most certainly. What are you intending to do after your degree?

Foreign relations, politics or work for the government dealing with legal issues. My dream job would be an ambassador for Great briton somewhere but that's highly unlikely :)!

LuketheDuke
26-02-2010, 09:10 PM
I think philosophy and ethics is a more accessable A level than just straight philosophy, both will be viewed in exactly the same light by potential universities as its the same course just different exam boards.

Warwick told me at an open day that my combination of History, Politics and Phil&Eth was a classic combination that allowed me to study a wide range of disciplines (including law) so there you have it.

luce
26-02-2010, 09:19 PM
I think philosophy and ethics is a more accessable A level than just straight philosophy, both will be viewed in exactly the same light by potential universities as its the same course just different exam boards.

Warwick told me at an open day that my combination of History, Politics and Phil&Eth was a classic combination that allowed me to study a wide range of disciplines (including law) so there you have it.

Yeah but RS is a studies subject which i don't really want to have but i would because i am in love with the subject. Also the class would be more elite because we'd be the test and need to know what we're doing.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!