PDA

View Full Version : Job When Older

KyleSmith
26-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Im currently 14 and i would love to be a paparazzi when im older. My dad keeps asking me what i want to be and i just say i dont know. Even though i do know. I think im just scared like because when he was at parents evening like he said that he would want me to be something like an electriction or a plumber or somthing with a 'trade'. I just dont know how do like say it if you know what i mean.

Special
26-02-2010, 11:57 PM
All i've liked in school is Art. I was scared to tell my parents this and that I wanted to be a Interior Designer. They thought that art was pointless and a waste of time.

Take a steady approach to this is you're worried about their reaction.

If they ask how your day at school was, just say I really enjoyed art (I'm assuming you like art from the photography aspect of things)

Show them some of your work! I did this once, and they were really proud of what I could do. Same with parents evenings, i always used to get a good report for art which again made them re-consider.

Also, you shouldn't be so narrow minded so to speak about what you want to be. There is many occupations in photography and taking pictures of celebs is just one. There is band photography, seasonal, fashion & abstract photography to name a few.

Tell them you want to be a photographer. I was scared to tell my parents that my favorite subject was art because I thought they would look at me as stupid. A slow steady approach should do the trick :D

BTW, i'm 15

dbgtz
27-02-2010, 11:10 AM
My parents love anything I want to do pretty much, but they don't really want me involved with like games design but in all honesty if that's what I do, they have to live with it. Well my mum doesn't mind it's just my dad.

Adamm
27-02-2010, 11:28 AM
You want to be a paparazzi? LOL.

I think you mean journalist. And with understanding like that, you ain't gonna' get far. Erm, anyway. If you want to take that route I suggest you take English language and journalism (if not some media-related course) when you're older.

Anyway, you have plenty of time to make your decision and no doubt it will change again soon.

Problemo
27-02-2010, 01:35 PM
You can’t let your parents make all the decisions in your life, otherwise by the sounds of it you’ll be stuck in a job you don’t like but make sure if you’re serious about this when taking your taking your options take ones such as photography, media studies etc. I’d also say have a backup plan because you’re only fourteen and what you want to do now as a career and what you want to do in four-five years may be very different, maybe try getting some work experience too as a journalist?

Inseriousity.
27-02-2010, 07:09 PM
It's your life, not your parents.

My dad has always been confused at how I want to study RE not "something important like English or Maths" but I don't have the passion for Maths or studying English!

You're going to need their support one day so I'd say it was best to get it sooner rather than later tbh. Tell them that this is your ambition and they should be supportive, tell them you'll have a backup plan just in case and that you're only young, you still have plenty of time to change your mind but in the meantime to support you as much as they can!

Good luck :)

Pyroka
27-02-2010, 07:10 PM
I want to be a lawnmower when I'm older! :D

Special
27-02-2010, 07:15 PM
You want to be a paparazzi? LOL.

I think you mean journalist. And with understanding like that, you ain't gonna' get far. Erm, anyway. If you want to take that route I suggest you take English language and journalism (if not some media-related course) when you're older.

Anyway, you have plenty of time to make your decision and no doubt it will change again soon.

He's only 14 so obviously he isn't going to have a great understanding...

MrGazet
27-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Yes,I do get how you feel.Hmm..I supposed most dad are like that cause mums are usually supportive right? My dad is also not very supportive of what I want to do in life.

I suppose you should sit down and try to talk slowly with him.Tell them your plans and all.

But your still young, so don't get too worked up :)

KyleSmith
27-02-2010, 10:42 PM
I think this something i would like to do. I only have 1 year left at school exactly. Im not too sure i would pick journalism because i dont really want to be writing the story all i wanna do really is take the photos but if push come to shove then i suppose i could write down some notes. I have contacted my local newspaper about this and im waiting for a reply from them. Thanks

luce
27-02-2010, 10:54 PM
I think this something i would like to do. I only have 1 year left at school exactly. Im not too sure i would pick journalism because i dont really want to be writing the story all i wanna do really is take the photos but if push come to shove then i suppose i could write down some notes. I have contacted my local newspaper about this and im waiting for a reply from them. Thanks

you mean before college? you can't expect to leave at the end of year 11 without any specific photography qualifications and fall into a job at the sun? You will also need English A level to get into journalism i would suspect.

KyleSmith
27-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Yes, Umm A level :/

Im like work on a B Level?

dbgtz
28-02-2010, 01:51 AM
I don't know if your joking but A level = qualification you can get in college.

jordan:j
28-02-2010, 02:31 AM
In the next few years you may fall in love with a certain thing. I love sciences and math. I just like knowing how things work and go about. At 14 you do not have to worry about what you want to be. There are much more careers out there now then there was for your dad when he was young.

Give it a few years. Soon you will be introduced to sciences, maths and arts. You may have a fond interests in one of those, so try to keep your doors open.

PS. Dont worry about your dad. Tell him that you want to see what else is out there still. Its up to you :P

Adamm
28-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Wow, you don't even know what journalism is. Bless.

Suspective
28-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Also you don't get B Levels :P

KyleSmith
28-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Oh lmao, I thought you ment like what grade your working on like

C, B, A, A*

LOL,

MrPinkPanther
28-02-2010, 11:13 AM
This thread is win.

Edited by Tash. (Forum Moderator): Please don't pointless post.

Bun
28-02-2010, 11:37 AM
lmao i wouldn't get your hopes up.

joking aside though, if you really really want to do it i would suggest taking stuff like english (lit/lang), media, film, photograph (if a college near you does something like it). then i'd probs go to uni to do it there and hope from there, you'll probably change your mind though. if you don't have a change of heart and are sure this is what you want to do let your fam know slowly cos at the end of the day it's your life init.

KyleSmith
28-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Can i ask is there something wrong is doing Paparazzi or Journalism work? :/

Bun
28-02-2010, 11:55 AM
nope, there's nothing wrong with 'being a paparazzi'.

MrPinkPanther
28-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Can i ask is there something wrong is doing Paparazzi or Journalism work? :/

No offence Kyle but your English isn't exactly perfect, at least on here. I think you will struggle.

adidas
28-02-2010, 12:21 PM
hmm, a photographer or maybe a mechanic.

danzooo
28-02-2010, 12:45 PM
No offence Kyle but your English isn't exactly perfect, at least on here. I think you will struggle.

This is something that can be easily ironed out with a little help from hard study and education.

The point is, journalism is dying. Newspapers and magazines and so on are a declining journalistic medium; i.e. they're going the same route as CD's - won't be long until they are yesterday's news. Most of these have all moved online to websites and blogs and so on.

Basically studying to be a journalist in this day and age is a risky business - it's like training to be a professional coal miner, it's all being overruled thanks to new technology.
For ages I wanted to be a motoring journalist until my dad pointed this out, and now I realise that to be totally safe, you're better finding a different career route.
Of course, you can still take spy shots of celebrities as a hobby...

MrPinkPanther
28-02-2010, 01:07 PM
This is something that can be easily ironed out with a little help from hard study and education.
Only to a certain extent. I'm sure the vast majority of journalists writing for national newspapers are naturally talented at English and writing.

The point is, journalism is dying. Newspapers and magazines and so on are a declining journalistic medium; i.e. they're going the same route as CD's - won't be long until they are yesterday's news. Most of these have all moved online to websites and blogs and so on.

Basically studying to be a journalist in this day and age is a risky business - it's like training to be a professional coal miner, it's all being overruled thanks to new technology.
For ages I wanted to be a motoring journalist until my dad pointed this out, and now I realise that to be totally safe, you're better finding a different career route.
Of course, you can still take spy shots of celebrities as a hobby...
I agree that Newspapers and such are declining but you need to remember someone needs to write those blogs, websites etc. Its just changing medium but I think you are right, over the next 20 years or so I can see journalism declining.

KyleSmith
28-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Yes but someone still has to take photos for the websites etc?

Catzsy
28-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Yes but someone still has to take photos for the websites etc?

A very good point! You will need to study that subject then. =]

The Don
28-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Yeh, just study hard, and make sure you get atleast two c's in gcse english and have at least 5 a*-c gcses and take a level photography.

KyleSmith
28-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Yes, Im working on a B Grade in GCSE english.

As far as the photography for my courses i took Business, Creative Arts and Media, and music.

Gibs960
28-02-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm sure your parents will be fine about everything, I used to want to be a Maths Teacher, but now I hate maths, now I want to be a writer and my parents have stood by me with both of my choices, I'm sure your parents too will be fine.

AgnesIO
06-03-2010, 06:06 PM
So you basically wanna be one of those ******s, who takes photos are celebrities private lives, that make every celebrity a druggy or prostitute. Nice future.

Sorry dislike the paparazzi :P

KyleSmith
06-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Them 'paparazzi' people tell you whats happening in todays world. Without people like them you woulnt know anything.

Hushie
06-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Them 'paparazzi' people tell you whats happening in todays world. Without people like them you woulnt know anything.

Well no not really, they just take photos of celebritys.
As much as I love my celebrities I'm sure the world would survive without the paparazzi.

But, do what you want to do. Don't let your parents live your life for you

LoveToStack
06-03-2010, 10:01 PM
There seems to be a lot of confusion among people in this thread as to what a member of the paparazzi actually does. If that were the path you took, you would literally just spend all day in your car running around cities, probs London, taking pictures. You would not be a journalist. You would not be writing articles for the papers. You'd be taking as many photos as you could as fast as you could of as many celebs as possible. Then you'd try to sell them to the papers as an outside party. You don't work for them as such.
Also you asked if it was a bad career choice. Personally I think it is. There are no ranks to ascend, you don't need any qualifications - you're just a guy with a camera. At the end of the day the pay you get depends solely on how steady your hand is, being in the right place and being able to nudge other folks with cameras out the way. It's not a long term investment.
Aim higher + it'll pass. Also do as other people have said and do what you want, not your parents but just weigh the options before you make a commitment.

Jamiie
07-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Well my Uncle Is a Photographer and tbh he doesn't make much unless some paper/magazine picks his photos he doesn't take pictures of celebs and stuff he does it for like Speedway and Ice Hockey. He ended up making his own little Gardening buisness because he wasn't making enough through his other Job, He lost most through buy the Cameras £2000 for a New Lense. But if thats really what you wanna be Good Luck :)

Also My Parents stuck by me with what ever i wanted to do and my mind never changed i wanted to be a Chef since Year 9. and Now im in college Studying Hospitality and Catering and My Parents will stick beside me even if i choose to go and do something else. Just explain to your dad that this is what you Enjoy and what you want to do. If he is understanding he will stick by you, because at the end of the day its your life. Your Deccesions.

Gibs960
07-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Yeah but the paps in a bit of an annoying job for celebs, maybe you might be following one of us round if one of us gets famous :P

Cheryl
07-03-2010, 04:33 PM
idk, don't really care yet :) just wanna get through exams and stuff

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!