PDA

View Full Version : Animal Testing

dogboy123
01-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Hey,

I was doing some stuff on animal testing at school and it's completely changed how I thought about it. For example before I'd even done anything about it I thought they were tested humainly and quickly. But after you see some of the videos on some sites its absolutley mind blowing.

I've decided I want to become vegetarian now and I'm completely against all of this animal testing, people say but what about meedicine. Well animals aren't the same to us, theyre different in many ways so how can you test something on an animal and be certain it works for us. Also if they were going to test medicine on say a monkey, I'd hope they'd do it humaner than starving it of water so it cooperates with you, then giving it water as a treat. It's sick

Your views?

Jordy
01-03-2010, 04:08 PM
I doubt you'll stay vegetarian, I've seen people make snap decisions like that before and they don't tend to stick with it.

I personally do agree with animal testing for the likes of medicines, I think it's pretty important if we want to solve the likes of Cancer. It's not ideal treating a monkey so harshly but if that potentially cured Cancer or a disease, the people suffering and their family/friends would stop with all their emotional torture too.

There is people who test drugs but that's only after extensive laboratory and animal testing, if they took the drugs without previous testing then it'd be pretty much committing suicide in my eyes as the consequences would be completely unknown.

When it comes to testing cosmetics on Animals I think that's completely unnecessary and the success of the Body shop proves that testing cosmetics on animals isn't needed. All their products have not been tested on animals and I don't see people suffering from their products.

I'd just like to add that I've been a vegetarian for 7 years :P

dogboy123
01-03-2010, 04:14 PM
If its going to help humans then so be it. But the ways they test these things on animal is horrible. I completely don't agree with beuty products and products that arent medicine related.

Yeah I probably won't stay vegetarian, but I never ate any meat, just chicken and fish

Murcen
01-03-2010, 07:15 PM
I am a commited vegan (vegan means no dairy products, meat, fish and honey) and have been so for years. Animal testing is completly inhumane, animals are senient beings and we have scientific facts, that back me up. The pain and stress that animals go through is meaningless. There are many other ways to test chemicals such as computers, human tissue and statistics. These have been successful methods of testing chemicals. Animals reaction to a chemical is completly different to a humans.

We do not own animals they have as much right as us, to live. They are animals they feel pain. So if any one of you are disagree with what I am saying. Would you put up with 100 million of us going to involuntury tests, that frequently kill or seriously injure you.

There are not strict controls and animals are so frequently abused.

We have been misinformed, animal testing is wrong morally and scientificly.

I am happy to have a good old animal rights debate, so reply to this post and I'm happy to give you one!

-:Undertaker:-
02-03-2010, 04:33 PM
I am a commited vegan (vegan means no dairy products, meat, fish and honey) and have been so for years. Animal testing is completly inhumane, animals are senient beings and we have scientific facts, that back me up. The pain and stress that animals go through is meaningless. There are many other ways to test chemicals such as computers, human tissue and statistics. These have been successful methods of testing chemicals. Animals reaction to a chemical is completly different to a humans.

Wrong and totally wrong at that. There is no other way (rather than testing on humans) that we can get a result near enough the same to that of a human reaction to a new drug/medication. Yes it is horrible and hopefully one day there would be a way to stop this. The point on computers just shows how wrong you are, any result a computer gives you is a trend and not a result. A computer cannot think for itself and cannot give you results that may not come up properly.

We do not own animals they have as much right as us, to live. They are animals they feel pain. So if any one of you are disagree with what I am saying. Would you put up with 100 million of us going to involuntury tests, that frequently kill or seriously injure you.

No I would not agree with that, hence the whole reason why we have animal testing. Infact on the point of animals, most of the animals alive on Earth now are bred for human needs and are only here because humans wanted them so.

If you do not support animal testing, then i'm sure when you are ill/sick you refuse to accept any medication that has been developed through the testing of animals?

dogboy123
02-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Wrong and totally wrong at that. There is no other way (rather than testing on humans) that we can get a result near enough the same to that of a human reaction to a new drug/medication. Yes it is horrible and hopefully one day there would be a way to stop this. The point on computers just shows how wrong you are, any result a computer gives you is a trend and not a result. A computer cannot think for itself and cannot give you results that may not come up properly.

No I would not agree with that, hence the whole reason why we have animal testing. Infact on the point of animals, most of the animals alive on Earth now are bred for human needs and are only here because humans wanted them so.

If you do not support animal testing, then i'm sure when you are ill/sick you refuse to accept any medication that has been developed through the testing of animals?

So it's right to treat the animals as they do. I'm sure you wouldn't like to go through what they go through, but you don't because you can speak out. Animals can't do anything about what humans are doing to them, so why are we taking this as an advantage. I don't find that fair?

02-03-2010, 05:05 PM
So it's right to treat the animals as they do. I'm sure you wouldn't like to go through what they go through, but you don't because you can speak out. Animals can't do anything about what humans are doing to them, so why are we taking this as an advantage. I don't find that fair?

No it isnt nice and it isnt fair but a lot of things are not fair. The fact is that without animal testing we would not be able to test new cures for cancer and terrible diseases that ravage both human beings and animals. As for the comparison between humans and animals well i'm afraid that simply does not make sense. Millions of animals eat eachother every single day yet you are not calling for those animals to be taken to court (yes bit of a silly example I know but so is the comparison between humans and animals). Lions have bigger teeth than guniea pigs, thats an advantage for them just like we have the advantage of intelligence over animals.

Its ghastly, its horrible but it has to be done. If you want to be taken care of when you are sick, if you want members of your family and your friends to survive terrible diseases/conditions such as cancer then it will have to be done at the expense of animals. It would be fantastic if we didnt need to use animals to test on, but we live in the real world in the year 2010.

Suspective
02-03-2010, 05:57 PM
I do find it hard to believe animals are being slaughtered for the sake of beauty.

ifuseekamy
02-03-2010, 08:38 PM
It's necessary and the lesser of two evils if you will. However, I think that they could use criminals who are locked up for life or sentenced to death to test drugs on.

Gibs960
03-03-2010, 07:59 PM
This is one of the reasons I became a veggie, its not humane to kill another animal, and neither is it to test stuff on animals.

03-03-2010, 08:01 PM
This is one of the reasons I became a veggie, its not humane to kill another animal, and neither is it to test stuff on animals.

You were made to eat animals and animals eat eachother.

Wig44.
03-03-2010, 09:21 PM

You know that humans are supposed to be carnivorous right? Check out the teeth and digestive system in your body and you will notice how similar it is to that of a dog for instance. The human body can survive on a carnivorous diet but not anywhere near as well if it all on the vegetarian diet without supplements or eggs/fish.

Animals kill other animals, it is nature. If this didn't happen things would go very wrong indeed. Do your health a favour and reconsider being a vegetarian.

Indeed animal testing is necessary for medicinal purposes but not for beauty products, which I frankly can't believe has been allowed to happen.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!