PDA

View Full Version : NL Wild-Card Predictions

Fireswords
13-09-2004, 01:36 AM
This is the tighest Wild-Card Race ever! And the end of the season is right around the corner. What are your thoughts and opinions? There will be debating on this thread, so be ready to back up your opinion :p

I personally think the Cubs will go...One, Cause I've been a fan for my whole life! I think if the Cubs get to the Playoffs, they will be dominate. One reason for this is theior pitching staff is just excellent, and no team wants to end up playing them cause they know they have a pitching rotation that is just frightening! And when the need hits late in the game, they get them! The Cubs have one of the best lineups that Ive seen, and I think the have one of the best all around teams, pitching and hitting, and their bullpen is starting to come together

So whats your team?

Butcher11
13-09-2004, 01:44 AM
Well I'm a Red Sox fan as you know, think we got AL Wild Card all set for aty least 4 games(little nervous tho lol).
In my opinion, I believe the Cubs or Astros or Marlins will get it. The Giants are an overall weak team, and by walking bonds, they eliminate the team's only offensive threat. Now the Astros were my NL winner pick earlier, and I think they just might do it, even without Pettite. And the Cubs, well what can I say, Prior and Wood have kinda stunk a bit, they better get it together soon or they won't even get to the playoffs. And the Marlins, the team i think could get in with a few lucky wins. Btw, the poor Pads are fading

Fireswords
13-09-2004, 09:14 PM
I think Prior and Wood will get it together Wood is gonna be blooming I cans ee it, and Prior last start was fantastic. I really do hope the Red Sox win their division Cause I hate the Yankees lol.

Butcher11
15-09-2004, 07:19 PM
:9 Wood is the most overrated pitcher in my opinion, and Prior was a great rookie, but Dusty Baker used him for too many innings last year, he might never be the same.

Fireswords
16-09-2004, 01:35 AM
Yeah, he did pitch them for too many innings which Ive read in TOO Many magizines lol, But there is NO WAY that Wood is over-rated that is ridiculous! Wood would be one of the best pitchers in the whole league IF he used his pitches right or mechanics. And Wood isn't over rated lol...They never even talk about him! And when they do its on maybe one of his tough loses! And Im not sure if you have been watching some Highlights lately :p
Cubs are gonna go to the playoffs! Giants will not keep up, first they have a rough schdule. LA Dodgers always whoop them lol. And I personally also think the Marlins will not keep up...I think they are now 3 games out...That is too far back in this tight of a race. It will come down to the Astros and Cubs and maybe the Giants. The Giants play the Astros in a 3-Game series I think coming up.And I think Houston will win that series and then I think the Giants will be too far back. All the Cubs have to do is Win Lol. And then they have it in the bag is the Cubs win and Giants and Astros win, and they are back in the Wild-Card, then its a closed deal. The Astros will probably also slip which I can see that.
Ok phew had to prove all of my points in this big paragraph lol. Now Im done Lol :p

Butcher11
16-09-2004, 02:49 AM
Ok well here's my new take. the Giants, Schmidt has cooled off, but I still think Barry Bonds alone could carry them to the playoffs. The Cubs are still the favorite, but if the pitching doesn't get it going fast, those dam Astros could do it. They're looking hot, and even the Marlins(thought they dropped Double header to Expos) aren't out, and their young, but they have the World Series experience.
So: all in all: Cubbies win but lose first round in 5 to Braves :)

Fireswords
16-09-2004, 10:56 PM
Yea Schmidt did cool off thank god lol. But a single player cannot take a team somwhere, if you play baseball you will know this. And I'm sorry but did you watch the playoffs last year with the Cubs and Braves, the Cubs are a much better team all-around. The Astros may still be in it NOW, but they won't be in a few weeks ;). And I think the Marlins are out of it, sorry its too close. It will come down to the Giants and Cubs, now that Im watching the Astros I don't think they will really have a chance. All the Cubs have to do is win. Cause the Astros and Giants play soon, and one of the teams are bound to lose Lol. And the Astros will be too far out by then, so they won't even be a factor :p.
If you haven't noticed lol...The Braves are choke artists...One World Series when they have made the playoffs like 13 years STRAIGHT! Lol

Butcher11
17-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Well i play baseball, and yes one player can't USUALLY carry a team, but Barry Bonds is unbelieveable, I mean he has like a 700% On base percentage. And when he's on base that much, they get mroe runs which means more wins. The Cubs havent looked that great this year, and yes the Braves are choke artists, but that's always in NLCS. I think the Astros cool off, Cubs and Giants go to one game playoff :) And maybe the Cubs pull it out. Who you think meets in World Series?

Fireswords
17-09-2004, 01:05 AM
Hm...Im not quiet sure...Hard to really tell lol...But Aramis Ramirez just hit his 3rd homer of the day and cubs took the lead back yay!

Butcher11
17-09-2004, 07:02 PM
yeah nice win for the Cubbies, but the Giants are going to be tough. Wo knows, too bad the Cardinbals are completely destroying the NL Central, so much for the Cubbies winning the divison, lol think it's been clinched. :s

Fireswords
17-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Oh yea its clinched lol. But if the Cubs do go to the Playoffs, they can beat the Cards on anyday of the week lol.

Butcher11
19-09-2004, 02:11 AM
I dont know about that lol. The Cardinals are strong, but maybe their pitching will falter. By the way, i just watched this show on who's Curssed Worse, Red Sox or Cubs lol, but I missed ending. Looked kinda weird :rolleyes:
Anyway Bonds hits 700! And as of now, Giants lost to Padres I think (were up 5-1 in bot 9) and Cubs are playing but i dont know score.

Fireswords
19-09-2004, 03:58 AM
Yea I missed that show too! Lol. But yea Giants lost and so did the Cubs so its okay no ground was lost.

Butcher11
19-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Mate what's your world series picks?
I'm going Red Sox over Dodgers :) or possibly Cubs, Carpenter for the Cardinals got hurt I believe.

Fireswords
21-09-2004, 10:32 PM
Well, Im gonna pick the Cubs...Duh! lol...But again, I can't say for any other team, playoffs haven't started yet

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!