PDA

View Full Version : Which University?

DieselShaq
30-03-2010, 07:25 AM
Okay well my sister is going off to university this summer and has applied for Harvard, MIT, Cal Tech, Columbia, Stanford, Imperial, UCL, Cambridge and University of Toronto. She's still awaiting offers from a few of the above but is choosing between the following right now:

-Imperial College (offer is A* A A)
-University of Toronto with CAD 7,000 scholarship

She's confident of making the offer for Imperial since she has the A* for Maths and As for chemistry and physics are in reach. The only thing is, University of Toronto is giving her the scholarship which is quite tempting. By the way, she applied for physics in both universities.

So now it comes down to which one she should choose. Does a scholarship for undergrad make it easier for her to apply for grad school? She's thinking of going to the States for grad school. My parents can afford the fees for Imperial but it might be a bit tougher when I apply next year.

Which one would you choose and why? +rep to all good advice.

luce
30-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Sorry i don't know anything about American unis so i don't think i could answer but by UCL do you mean University College London because if she is getting the grades you say she is then she will get an offer there for sure and a typical Cambridge offer is A*AA so why doesn't she wait and see what she gets in the way of offers before she starts narrowing it down :)!

DieselShaq
30-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Sorry i don't know anything about American unis so i don't think i could answer but by UCL do you mean University College London because if she is getting the grades you say she is then she will get an offer there for sure and a typical Cambridge offer is A*AA so why doesn't she wait and see what she gets in the way of offers before she starts narrowing it down :)!
Yeah, UCL is University College London. The offer is AAA but she prefers Imperial over UCL so she's not considering UCL anymore.
Cambridge has rejected all applicants from my school. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the mainland Chinese (I'm in Hong Kong).

DieselShaq
02-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Newest update: She got accepted into Columbia, so that's another one to think about.

MrPinkPanther
02-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Imperial is probably the best out of those 3. Maybe check out the world rankings?
http://www.topuniversities.com/world-university-rankings

DieselShaq
02-04-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure about rankings because all of them are different and it doesn't really take into account what you're taking. And with those rankings, I'm not sure UCL is better than Oxford...

N!ck
02-04-2010, 01:24 PM
If she's accepted into MIT then that's the place to be for physics.

If not and she still fancies America then all universities she's applied to offer superb physics degrees.

I'm not a fan of the science degrees at Cambridge (natural sciences) so would say Imperial/UCL for studying in the UK.

Posts Merged by Bolt660 (Forum Super Moderator): Accidental double post caused by Forum Lag.

DieselShaq
02-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Her only choices are:

UCL: Offer is AAA
Imperial: Offer is A*AA (she's confident of making it so if she does, she's going to Imperial and not UCL)
University of Toronto: CAD 7,000 scholarship
Columbia

But really, she's choosing between Imperial and Columbia now. Honestly I think the two are pretty much on par, but Columbia is more expensive and it's one more year of education. She's likely going to be in the States for grad school so would it actually be easier to get into one if she was already in the States?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!