PDA

View Full Version : Emmanuel Adebayor retires from international football

Titch
12-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Manchester City and Togo striker Emmanuel Adebayor has announced his retirement from international football.

The decision comes three months after the gun attack on the Togo team bus during this year's Africa Cup of Nations, in which three people died.

A statement from the 26-year-old said: "Following those tragic events... I have made the very difficult decision to retire from international football.

"I am still haunted by the events I witnessed on that horrible afternoon."

He added: "I have weighed up my feelings in the weeks and months since the attack.

"We were just footballers going to play a football match and represent our country, yet we were attacked by people who wanted to kill us all.

"It is a moment I will never forget and one I never want to experience again.
"For nine years I have played for the Togo team and, despite the events in Angola, I have some very good memories of my international career.

"I feel very proud to have been trusted with the position of captain of the Togolese football team. Leading your country in international competition is the ultimate honour for any player.

"The people who were on that coach together will forever be joined by a special bond - we are all brothers.

"I will always have the team and the people of Togo close to my heart and wish them every success in the challenges that they will face in the future."

The Togo team were attacked by gunmen as they made their way from a training camp in the Republic of Congo to in Cabinda City, Angola on 8 January.

Two Togolese officials and an Angolan bus driver were killed in the attack which prompted the Togolese government to pull their country out of the event.

That intervention led to Togo being handed a four-year ban from competing in the competition, a sanction over which they are currently embroiled in an appeal process.

The attack inevitably overshadowed the start of the Cup of Nations - a showpiece event for both Angola, recovering from years of war, and African football ahead of the World Cup in June, which the continent is hosting for the first time.
Awww, tis a shame! better for man city though!

brandon
12-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Better for Man City you mean?

Snowing
12-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Awww, tis a shame! [B]better for arsenal though!
Am I missing something here?

Titch
12-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Better for Man City you mean?

tis what i put ;)

had a short memory relapse there LOL

EDIT: I had a complete memory relapse snowing :(

Jack.Lfc
12-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Am I missing something here?

Haha, nice edit there.

Was he the captain of Togo?

AlexOC
12-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Togo were going nowhere anyway.

You heard it here first.

luce
12-04-2010, 07:51 PM
shame but to be fair they were hardly going to world cup glory any time soon. city have more chance of winning it

JackBuddy
12-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Chicken.

Swastika
12-04-2010, 07:55 PM
feel sorry for him having to witness his pals die, he can focus more on man city now though and maybe put those angola events behind him.

AlexOC
12-04-2010, 07:56 PM
His international career was not getting in the way of City that much anyway.

you heard it here first.

Titch
12-04-2010, 08:44 PM
His international career was not getting in the way of City that much anyway.

you heard it here first.

ow i agree with that, and never said it was, just means that you never ever have to risk him getting ijnured wen hes not playing for u anymore.

JackBuddy
12-04-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm not entirely convinced that he'll be at City in the long-term anyway.

AlexOC
12-04-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm not entirely convinced that he'll be at City in the long-term anyway.

I don't understand this, or the people who say that he dosen't look happy playing for City. If you watch him whilst playing, he has a smile on his face, he laughs and jokes with other players, he runs and plays with so much determination. And i don't think Mancini will be too happy to let him go, Ade is in our long-term plans now.

you heard it here first.

JackBuddy
12-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Tevez is currently your best striker. I just think he'll be forced onto the bench when City undoubtedly get another quality striker in the summer- which i'm sure he won't be happy with.

AlexOC
12-04-2010, 09:13 PM
I think everybody will be forced onto the bench a few times. Its all about squad rotation to keep all players happy.

you heard it here first.

CHA!NGANG
12-04-2010, 09:28 PM
I think everybody will be forced onto the bench a few times. Its all about squad rotation to keep all players happy.

you heard it here first.

Adebayor will sulk.

you heard it here first.

AlexOC
12-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Adebayor will sulk.

you heard it here first.

Well he's going to have to get over it, we're paying him to shut up and play when we want him to and he will do that.

Also do not steal my line please.

you heard it here first.

CHA!NGANG
12-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Well he's going to have to get over it, we're paying him to shut up and play when we want him to and he will do that.

Also do not steal my line please.

you heard it here first.

That's what Arsenal said, look what happened then.

you heard it here primero.

JackBuddy
12-04-2010, 09:48 PM
He'll sulk, fans will get on his back and then he'll moan that he doesn't feel loved.

As Adebayor would say, "vous l'avez entendu ici en premier"

CHA!NGANG
12-04-2010, 09:52 PM
He'll sulk, fans will get on his back and then he'll moan that he doesn't feel loved.

As Adebayor would say, "vous l'avez entendu ici en premier"

Why you got to steal my line?????

Smits
12-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Could be david villa replacing him, if nobody else snaps him up.

AlexOC
12-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Could be david villa replacing him, if nobody else snaps him up.

good call.

you heard it there first.

Titch
13-04-2010, 08:50 AM
good call.

you heard it there first.

stop saying you heard it here first after every post, its really sad

Snowing
13-04-2010, 08:54 AM
I knew I should have carried on avoiding this thread once it'd hit two pages. It was always going to be full of posts thinking he did it because Togo aren't good and that he'll be leaving City anyway. He didn't retire because Togo aren't good, it's a major honour to represent your country wherever it is. He retired because football isn't worth risking your life. If he carried on playing for Togo then who knows, he could have been caught up in the same event again. It isn't safe in Africa especially not for rich & famous footballers.

The only way he'll be replaced next season is if Torres is a 90% option. He's been playing well this season considering he's only played around twenty games.

As for the Yid fan, I'll leave you ******* over the prospect of signing Santa Cruz.

JackBuddy
13-04-2010, 09:14 AM
As for the Yid fan, I'll leave you ******* over the prospect of signing Santa Cruz.
I'm fine thanks.

Snowing
13-04-2010, 09:17 AM
I'm fine thanks.
http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp&q=Tottenham+Santa+Cruz&meta=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=23e9d7872b349109

Adamm
13-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Santa Flop.

JackBuddy
13-04-2010, 09:22 AM
http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp&q=Tottenham+Santa+Cruz&meta=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=23e9d7872b349109
Look at when they're dated. The ones this year are hardly credible sources.

Snowing
13-04-2010, 09:28 AM
http://cdn.picapp.com/ftp/Images/6/e/f/e/Football__Sunderland_dd00.jpg?adImageId=12420339&imageId=8250494

Imagine him in a Yid top, bet you'll be all over him. Star striker etc.

JackBuddy
13-04-2010, 09:31 AM
http://cdn.picapp.com/ftp/Images/6/e/f/e/Football__Sunderland_dd00.jpg?adImageId=12420339&imageId=8250494

Imagine him in a Yid top, bet you'll be all over him. Star striker etc.
If he scores goals then I will of course. He's hardly had a fair crack at City along with his injury troubles.

StefanWolves
13-04-2010, 06:07 PM
you can't really blame him for retiring, its not safe for any footballer who is a world star

Black_Apalachi
15-04-2010, 09:55 AM
1-0 t the terrorists then?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!