PDA

View Full Version : Are sexist and racist jokes morally just? [ENDS 16/05/2010]

Grig
02-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Are sexist and racist jokes morally just?

Ends - 16/05/2010

A very thorny issue that has been debated by two sides through the ages. Sexist and racist jokes have been either used as a laugh in a social conversation, or as an insult to specific class of people.

Some view these jokes on even terms with any other joke and are just simply another way to have a bit of a laugh with not that much harm done, nor creating any hard feelings to the other party. Sometimes there is a mutual understanding of such jokes and there is little harm done every now and again. However, some swerve 180 degrees away from this perspective and echo the view that sexist and racist jokes are rude and should not be used in society. Some view that to find a sexist or racist joke funny, it is necessary to endorse some sexist assumptions that may be the backbone of the joke, thus the actual fact about people being amused by such jokes can be deemed immoral.

Anyway, it is now your turn to sink your teeth deep into this debate. Do you think such sexist and racist jokes are just there for a bit of a laugh, like should be done or do you completely blow that view out of the window and find sexist and racist jokes immoral?

dbgtz
02-05-2010, 04:05 PM
As long as they're not directly aimed at someone then I see no harm.

HotelUser
02-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Oh jesus, I can't see this going well.

I understand how people think they're really just jokes and that's fine and dandy, but I just don't appreciate the content, because of what it did, and to some extend still does represent. I end up incoherently losing respect for most people on this forum who've participated in making sexist and certainly race related jokes. I guess I was just raised in a way such that the telling of these jokes was strictly forbidden and so when I see someone whom of which I would previously of regarded as someone with self pride and respect who is involved in sharing these jokes, I guess I just lose a lot of respect for these people, and, as some of you can testify I'm sure, have experienced me treating you with that newfound lack of respect as consequence. I sort of do this subconsciously, though because of my own principles and views on racism and sexism I don't intervene.

Sharon
02-05-2010, 04:10 PM
I don't see a problem with sexist jokes at all (Did HotelUser come up with this debate) but yes I see a problem with racist jokes and they swhouldn't be said directed or not.

HotelUser
02-05-2010, 04:14 PM
I don't see a problem with sexist jokes at all (Did HotelUser come up with this debate) but yes I see a problem with racist jokes and they swhouldn't be said directed or not.

You'd think I would have come up with this, wouldn't you? Though no, I haven't. It is unfortunately and to the totally opposite opinion of my own that HxF management are mutual on allowing sexism to continue on HxF without intervention.

I probably wouldn't of posted this debate in all honesty, because it's most likely going to get incredibly heated incredibly fast.

Edited by MattGarner (Assistant General Manager): Please do not post pointlessly in the debates.

Shar
02-05-2010, 04:32 PM
No. They're morally unjust, especially if they're directly offending someone so they should overall be unacceptable in society at all times.

Richie
02-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Yeah they are fine, its just dry ****es that like to make a fuss who cry about them.

Shar
02-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Yeah they are fine, its just dry ****es that like to make a fuss who cry about them.
Lmao no they are not fine if they're making someone cry...LOL
That shows that they're clearly offensive and therefore unjust
However if they clearly mean no harm then I guess it's OK

Richie
02-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Lmao no they are not fine if they're making someone cry...LOL
That shows that they're clearly offensive and therefore unjust
Well lets be honest if someone is crying because of a joke they should just end their lives. Its a JOKE.

Shar
02-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Well lets be honest if someone is crying because of a joke they should just end their lives. Its a JOKE.
Erm NO
If it's just a JOKE it shouldn't be offending anyone...
So like unless it's making the person your telling the joke laugh it's unacceptable...

Richie
02-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Erm NO
If it's just a JOKE it shouldn't be offending anyone...
So like unless it's making the person your telling the joke to laugh it's unacceptable...

I don't know any jokes that don't "offend" people

Sexist jokes - "Offend" woman/man
Racist jokes - "Offend" different races
Fat jokes - "Offend" fat people
gay jokes - "Offend" gay people
yo momma jokes - "Offend" ur ma

do you get my drift or do I have to list more?

Richie
02-05-2010, 05:07 PM
EDIT : FORUM LAG

Shar
02-05-2010, 05:10 PM
There we go then they are unjust
However I guess if it's between a group of friends i.e. with people you actually know properly then it might be acceptable to share sexist/racist "jokes"

I don't know any jokes that don't "offend" people

Sexist jokes - "Offend" woman/man
Racist jokes - "Offend" different races
Fat jokes - "Offend" fat people
gay jokes - "Offend" gay people
yo momma jokes - "Offend" ur ma

do you get my drift or do I have to list more?

HotelUser
02-05-2010, 05:11 PM
EDIT : FORUM LAG

Sexist and racist jokes revolve around groups of people being treated as minorities, and with stupidly high amounts of stereotyping. I wouldn't say a gay joke because that would hurt someone's feelings either. But fat jokes and yo momma jokes? They're not related to a long history of discrimination and minority-ship and the victims of those jokes consist of small groups. They're hardly a fair comparison.

Richie
02-05-2010, 05:14 PM
so why are ******* on habbo crying? sexism ended a long time ago, b4 they were born cos most of them r 12.

Jordy
02-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Depends on the context, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable telling or hearing jokes from someone I didn't particularly know, they're jokes you'd share with friends or family really. I don't fall into any minorities really but if I did and someone walked up to me with a pretty offensive joke about the miniority I'd probably laugh but I'd definitely have a shaded view of them.

Racist & Sexist jokes are pretty much alright though, I certainly don't believe you have to hold racist views to understand racist jokes. It's all about knowing and understanding stereotypes really.

While I know current affairs jokes don't specifically fall under Sexist and Racist jokes I feel they can be a bit inappropriate soon after an event. Within hours of Michael Jackson dying, the Polish President dying, the Haiti Earthquake, Madeleine McCann being kidnapped, there were jokes going around immediately, fair enough if you want to joke about it but straight away?

HotelUser
02-05-2010, 05:19 PM
so why are ******* on habbo crying? sexism ended a long time ago, b4 they were born cos most of them r 12.

Because it happened in the past and we can't change it. Would I go upto a jewish family and start laughing and making jokes about how their grandparents died in the holocaust? No. It's called morals and common sense.

Richie
02-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Because it happened in the past and we can't change it. Would I go upto a jewish family and start laughing and making jokes about how their grandparents died in the holocaust? No. It's called morals and common sense.

Stop living in the past, men and woman are EQUAL, thats why its called a joke.................

Meree.
02-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Oh jesus, I can't see this going well.

I understand how people think they're really just jokes and that's fine and dandy, but I just don't appreciate the content, because of what it did, and to some extend still does represent. I end up incoherently losing respect for most people on this forum who've participated in making sexist and certainly race related jokes. I guess I was just raised in a way such that the telling of these jokes was strictly forbidden and so when I see someone whom of which I would previously of regarded as someone with self pride and respect who is involved in sharing these jokes, I guess I just lose a lot of respect for these people, and, as some of you can testify I'm sure, have experienced me treating you with that newfound lack of respect as consequence. I sort of do this subconsciously, though because of my own principles and views on racism and sexism I don't intervene.

I agree with this in all honesty.

Edited by Nicola (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not post pointlessly

Mathew
02-05-2010, 05:27 PM
It really depends on what the joke is.
You need to realise that if it's a joke.. it's not aimed at anyone in particular and it's something to be taken with a pinch of salt. If you are gonna' throw off a Jew joke, chances are you have enough brain power to NOT tell it to a Jewish person - it's just wrong.

There has to be a line drawn somewhere. You can't say fat ginger momma jokes are allowed when they could "upset" someone just as much as a gay, sexist or racist one.

I think sexist jokes are perfectly fine and in today's educated world, it's a bit timid if you can't take one and laugh along. EVERYONE knows that women are now treated equally to men. It's common sense - so why not make a joke out of what was once an absurd way of equality?

Shar
02-05-2010, 05:28 PM
On that note I totally agree :)

It really depends on what the joke is.
You need to realise that if it's a joke.. it's not aimed at anyone in particular and it's something to be taken with a pinch of salt. If you are gonna' throw off a Jew joke, chances are you have enough brain power to NOT tell it to a Jewish person - it's just wrong.

There has to be a line drawn somewhere. You can't say fat ginger momma jokes are allowed when they could "upset" someone just as much as a gay, sexist or racist one.

I think sexist jokes are perfectly fine and in today's educated world, it's a bit timid if you can't take one and laugh along. EVERYONE knows that women are now treated equally to men. It's common sense - so why not make a joke out of what was once an absurd way of equality?

Edited by MattGarner (Assistant General Manager): Please do not post pointlessly.

HotelUser
02-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Stop living in the past, men and woman are EQUAL, thats why its called a joke.................

Then by that logic why would you complain when you are targeted in jokes about you?

Richie
02-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Then by that logic why would you complain when you are targeted in jokes about you?

I would if the joke was directed at me, but if it was at a large amount of people I wouldn't i'd laf

Shar
02-05-2010, 05:37 PM
That's what I mean with my previous comments, if they are obviously directed at you then you will be offended and in that case the joke isn't a joke anymore and is overall morally unjust however as you said, if it's directed to a majority it'd be different, funny even :)

I would if the joke was directed at me, but if it was at a large amount of people I wouldn't i'd laf

HotelUser
02-05-2010, 05:39 PM
I know for a fact that you a not a fan of being singled out when it comes to particular jokes, Richard.

Richie
02-05-2010, 05:42 PM
I know for a fact that you a not a fan of being singled out when it comes to particular jokes, Richard.

I clearly stated that above, if it singles someone out its not a joke, but if its directed at a mass amount of people its a joke.

Shar
02-05-2010, 05:48 PM
I clearly stated that above, if it singles someone out its not a joke, but if its directed at a mass amount of people its a joke.
Agreed.

Edited by MattGarner (Assistant General Manager): Please do not post pointlessly.

Inseriousity.
02-05-2010, 06:26 PM
I have experiences of jokes being insensitive sometimes and it takes an insensitive person to fail to realise that what they think is funny is not going to be funny for everyone. Jokes can hurt people. That being said, a joke is normally just that: a joke. Ask these people who tell racist jokes what they think of KKK murdering people etc and I'm sure they'd say it was wrong. They're not racists or sexists, they're just people trying to make other people laugh. For me, sexist and racist jokes are probably the easiest jokes to make and those comedians who use them are just scraping the bottom of the barrel because they can't tell real jokes. Comedians that take the mick out of nobody and still make people laugh, they're the true comedians IMO!

Dan2nd
02-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Well I think it depends on who is on the receiving end of the joke..

In my opinion some people have double standards.. as you can see in the below Al Murray Video where for 90% of it he makes loads of sexist jokes about men and compliments women.. all of the women cheered and seemed to enjoy it.... oh that was until it was turned around where it was obvoius that certain (not all) members of the audeince suddenly looked extreamly offended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL7QDy_NCqY

I think everyone needs to just have a better sense of humour and take themselves less seriously

Tristan
02-05-2010, 07:08 PM
All -ist jokes are the best.
They're totally fine as long as everyone knows they're joking when they say it.

EDIT: Haha, the Al Murray clip there is great.

HotelUser
02-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Dispite your really good grammar I must of gotten confused. Although I agree, when it is intended to be at the expense of others is when it annoys me the most.

ecstasy
02-05-2010, 07:20 PM
as long as its clear that they're not directed at anyone in particular they're fine. a joke isnt meant to be taken seriously so i dont see why people get so offended when someone tells a sexist/racist joke that isnt aimed at anyone

Tristan
02-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Girls that dislike sexist jokes are just uptight.

HotelUser
02-05-2010, 08:00 PM

How dare they not like a joke which associates them with a stereotype.

-:Undertaker:-
02-05-2010, 08:21 PM

I would suggest to girls like that that they need to get into the real world and get a hold of themselves.

What annoys me on topics like this is that people claim to be tolerant of others (gays, disabled, women and so forth) at which the ism jokes are aimed at, yet they are not tolerent at the fact that most people do not have a problem with these jokes and that most people find them funny. If people want to make these jokes then they are perfectly entitled to do so and if you dont like them then you simply click away from the thread - theres a simple phrase that is often thrown around and its the usual 'walk away' - I suggest people who get offended easily follow this line.

Tolerence is tolating different personalities/opinions and people, its not accepting one side and banning the other.

Mathew
02-05-2010, 08:27 PM

Would you, personally, be offended if a girl made a joke about men?

Neil
02-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Jokes aren't to be taken seriously, anyone that stresses over sexist or even racist jokes needs to get over it, if it's directed as an insult towards a particular individual then sure it's not cool but if it's just "why'd the women cross the road?" etc. then there is nothing wrong with it.

Definitions of joke on the Web:

* a humorous anecdote or remark intended to provoke laughter; "he told a very funny joke"; "he knows a million gags"; "thanks for the laugh"; "he ...
* jest: activity characterized by good humor
* tell a joke; speak humorously; "He often jokes even when he appears serious"
* antic: a ludicrous or grotesque act done for fun and amusement
* act in a funny or teasing way

Richie
02-05-2010, 10:34 PM

lets be honest he will obviously just say yes to try make his point valid

Shar
02-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Not necessarily, if the joke is directly offending them they are not being uptight they have a right to be offended...

HotelUser
02-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Tolerance is more like putting up with an inconvenience to an appropriate extent. Once it's no longer appropriate intervening goes without really obstructing tolerance.

I would suggest to girls like that that they need to get into the real world and get a hold of themselves.

What annoys me on topics like this is that people claim to be tolerant of others (gays, disabled, women and so forth) at which the ism jokes are aimed at, yet they are not tolerent at the fact that most people do not have a problem with these jokes and that most people find them funny. If people want to make these jokes then they are perfectly entitled to do so and if you dont like them then you simply click away from the thread - theres a simple phrase that is often thrown around and its the usual 'walk away' - I suggest people who get offended easily follow this line.

Tolerence is tolating different personalities/opinions and people, its not accepting one side and banning the other.

If they continued and wouldn't stop going on about it then of course I'd be annoyed.

Hitman
03-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Some are hilarious, I do like a good ROFL at one. Or LMAO sometimes. Even a LOL will do. Providing they are directed at specific people, or if they are directed at somebody then they know and don't mind then it's all good.

J0SH
03-05-2010, 09:09 AM
They're funny. People need to realise it's a JOKE.

Mathew
03-05-2010, 09:21 AM
If they continued and wouldn't stop going on about it then of course I'd be annoyed.

May I ask why you would be annoyed? Surely, you can't expect half of the worlds population to be offended too? :P

HotelUser
03-05-2010, 11:49 AM
May I ask why you would be annoyed? Surely, you can't expect half of the worlds population to be offended too? :P

They're rude and they do offend people I care about. Plus, there's a lot less controversial things an adolescent male can joke about.

Dan2nd
03-05-2010, 01:57 PM
There was huge racial out cry when South Park decided to include the Muslim prophet Muhammed in one of their episodes... so much so they were forced to censor him out even though up until then it was perfectly acceptable to include Jesus Christ in the cartoon...

Will there be such an out cry against the crime mentioned in this thread..?

http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=641263&p=6441670#post6441670

well the person who commited the crime has already been set free....

It's funny how something that was intended as a joke had a worse reaction to a serious racial and religous threat made on a war memorial of all things..

Mathew
03-05-2010, 02:54 PM
There was huge racial out cry when South Park decided to include the Muslim prophet Muhammed in one of their episodes... so much so they were forced to censor him out even though up until then it was perfectly acceptable to include Jesus Christ in the cartoon...

Will there be such an out cry against the crime mentioned in this thread..?

http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=641263&p=6441670#post6441670

well the person who commited the crime has already been set free....

It's funny how something that was intended as a joke had a worse reaction to a serious racial and religous threat made on a war memorial of all things..
How crazy is that? I suppose that's just the same with male / female jokes too.

A Muslim can get away with vandalising a war memorial.. just like a female could get away with making a joke about males. There's two sides to everything, just sterotypes stand in the way of equality.

-:Undertaker:-
04-05-2010, 06:38 AM
They're rude and they do offend people I care about. Plus, there's a lot less controversial things an adolescent male can joke about.

In your opinion/taste just as I have different opinions/tastes on what jokes are funny and what jokes are not - and I guess thats the moral of the thread that we all have different dislikes/likes or tastes so lets go by our own judgements and tastes [individial freedoms] rather than having them decided for us. Besides, you are not arguing for these jokes to be banned are you?

Gibs960
04-05-2010, 11:12 AM
I've heard lots of jokes about white people, and personally they make me laugh, some of them are genuinely funny. But ones that are personally aimed at me rather than my race/creed I don't particularly like. Sexist jokes are mainly aimed at men and women as a whole. Rather than at women or men. But most sexist/racist jokes turn into a riot of some sort.

buttons
04-05-2010, 01:27 PM
girls and boys ARE NOT EQUAL.
pretty girl = gets laid
ugly girl = gets laid
hot guy = gets laid
ugly guy = nowayinhell.

stereotypically guys enjoy beer, football, fast cars etc whereas girls prefer shopping and pretty things. we're different by nature. we're meant to be!!! -.-

imo anyone who has a good sense of humour (which, to me, is someone who can find the funnyside of anything & be lighthearted in a bad situation - what's the sense getting worked up over a joke?) goes up in how positive i percieve them. henceforth guys = better than girls in most cases because hardly any girl can take a joke. admitedly if i was in a wheelchair/different colour and had jokes thrown at me i'd be annoyed. thank god i'm normal (joke ;l).
i ******* hate most girls, they give us a bad name ¬.¬

:eusa_clap well done. that's exactly the point. they're a bloody joke.... who really means to harm you by it
:/ if they take you by the throat and threaten to kill you if you don't make them a sandwich then you have the right to be offended as they seriously think they're better than you. i've never seen anyone on here be serious about it like actually debating against women's rights. the way people who hate sexism/racism come across to me is patronizing. they seem to think they're better and the rest of us are non-educated fools :S THAT'S offensive! but at the end of the day, if you get worked up over a joke people WILL use it against you for a reaction.

While I know current affairs jokes don't specifically fall under Sexist and Racist jokes I feel they can be a bit inappropriate soon after an event. Within hours of Michael Jackson dying, the Polish President dying, the Haiti Earthquake, Madeleine McCann being kidnapped, there were jokes going around immediately, fair enough if you want to joke about it but straight away?
i would definitely laugh at those jokes. would never say it so soon to others though because i have a LITTLE respect for others views ;p id only say it to people who i'd know would laugh which unfortunately isn't a lot:(

i would

I agree with this in all honesty.

Edited by Nicola (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not post pointlessly
you would

That's what I mean with my previous comments, if they are obviously directed at you then you will be offended and in that case the joke isn't a joke anymore and is overall morally unjust however as you said, if it's directed to a majority it'd be different, funny even :)
they never are. so people are allowed to make jokes about woman aslong as they're not to you? lame lol
oh yeah pretty sure 'coloured' people are a majority compared to us whites so are we allowed to make jokes about them then? you'd find that funny?

Ask these people who tell racist jokes what they think of KKK murdering people etc and I'm sure they'd say it was wrong. They're not racists or sexists, they're just people trying to make other people laugh.
yes. i am not homophobic, sexist or racist. i have gay friends, i have coloured friends. regardless of their sex, race or gender if they can't take a joke they can't be my friend.

Well I think it depends on who is on the receiving end of the joke..

In my opinion some people have double standards.. as you can see in the below Al Murray Video where for 90% of it he makes loads of sexist jokes about men and compliments women.. all of the women cheered and seemed to enjoy it.... oh that was until it was turned around where it was obvoius that certain (not all) members of the audeince suddenly looked extreamly offended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL7QDy_NCqY

I think everyone needs to just have a better sense of humour and take themselves less seriously
yeah but his sexist jokes aren't funny, just overused lol. totally agreed with the bottom line though, i take life with a pinch of salt yet i can still be serious. i think it's important to have balance.

Dispite your really good grammar I must of gotten confused. Although I agree, when it is intended to be at the expense of others is when it annoys me the most.
LOLWHAT!!!!!!!!!!

agreed. there are 'men' who dislike them too, they're worse than the girls ;_;

name 3?:S

Besides, you are not arguing for these jokes to be banned are you?
lol i will personally leave if they are banned >.>

the only sexist jokes that annoy me are the ones people use to fit in and try to be funny. i'd rather they have no humour than a fake one. anyone who appreciates a good joke actually earns my respect rather than loses it. i prefer funny, happy people to boring, serious people:) and i actually find some sexist/racist jokes very witty so i don't think people who crack them are thick or less intelligent than those who don't. unless it's "LUL GO BK 2 DA KITCHEN" 4channers are just morons in general.

ps i'm a girl...

Black_Apalachi
06-05-2010, 03:40 PM
I've always known women who laugh at sexist jokes about women and vice versa. Just like I've always known Irish people to laugh at Irish jokes. Racism is different. Sexist jokes play upon harmless stereotypes, while racist jokes unearth things that happened in the past and probably still happen today that nobody should be proud of. If there had never been such a divide between blacks and whites in history, I think racist jokes would probably have been more socially accepted today.

Also, all that stuff that Jen said :P

Special
06-05-2010, 03:44 PM
It does what it says on the tin - it's a joke

Jokes shouldn't be took seriously for the fact that they are a.. joke..

HotelUser
07-05-2010, 12:57 AM
It does what it says on the tin - it's a joke

Jokes shouldn't be took seriously for the fact that they are a.. joke..

No but lets be honest, we've all been around groups of guys who genuinely talk about woman like dogs, and sexist jokes is a contributing factor towards that ideology.

girls and boys ARE NOT EQUAL.
pretty girl = gets laid
ugly girl = gets laid
hot guy = gets laid
ugly guy = nowayinhell.

stereotypically guys enjoy beer, football, fast cars etc whereas girls prefer shopping and pretty things. we're different by nature. we're meant to be!!! -.-

imo anyone who has a good sense of humour (which, to me, is someone who can find the funnyside of anything & be lighthearted in a bad situation - what's the sense getting worked up over a joke?) goes up in how positive i percieve them. henceforth guys = better than girls in most cases because hardly any girl can take a joke. admitedly if i was in a wheelchair/different colour and had jokes thrown at me i'd be annoyed. thank god i'm normal (joke ;l).
i ******* hate most girls, they give us a bad name ¬.¬

:eusa_clap well done. that's exactly the point. they're a bloody joke.... who really means to harm you by it
:/ if they take you by the throat and threaten to kill you if you don't make them a sandwich then you have the right to be offended as they seriously think they're better than you. i've never seen anyone on here be serious about it like actually debating against women's rights. the way people who hate sexism/racism come across to me is patronizing. they seem to think they're better and the rest of us are non-educated fools :S THAT'S offensive! but at the end of the day, if you get worked up over a joke people WILL use it against you for a reaction.

i would definitely laugh at those jokes. would never say it so soon to others though because i have a LITTLE respect for others views ;p id only say it to people who i'd know would laugh which unfortunately isn't a lot:(

i would

you would

they never are. so people are allowed to make jokes about woman aslong as they're not to you? lame lol
oh yeah pretty sure 'coloured' people are a majority compared to us whites so are we allowed to make jokes about them then? you'd find that funny?

yes. i am not homophobic, sexist or racist. i have gay friends, i have coloured friends. regardless of their sex, race or gender if they can't take a joke they can't be my friend.

yeah but his sexist jokes aren't funny, just overused lol. totally agreed with the bottom line though, i take life with a pinch of salt yet i can still be serious. i think it's important to have balance.

LOLWHAT!!!!!!!!!!

agreed. there are 'men' who dislike them too, they're worse than the girls ;_;

name 3?:S

lol i will personally leave if they are banned >.>

the only sexist jokes that annoy me are the ones people use to fit in and try to be funny. i'd rather they have no humour than a fake one. anyone who appreciates a good joke actually earns my respect rather than loses it. i prefer funny, happy people to boring, serious people:) and i actually find some sexist/racist jokes very witty so i don't think people who crack them are thick or less intelligent than those who don't. unless it's "LUL GO BK 2 DA KITCHEN" 4channers are just morons in general.

ps i'm a girl...

Really good summary Jen, not much to say because you have, what I'd consider anyway, a fair opinion on this.

In your opinion/taste just as I have different opinions/tastes on what jokes are funny and what jokes are not - and I guess thats the moral of the thread that we all have different dislikes/likes or tastes so lets go by our own judgements and tastes [individial freedoms] rather than having them decided for us. Besides, you are not arguing for these jokes to be banned are you?

The amount of which something is controversial isn't really opinion dependant, though I'll assume you mean in my opinion and taste referring to what I think about sexist jokes in general. And you're absolutely right, however this is a rather subjective debate so feelings and emotions are running free throughout the thread.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!