PDA

View Full Version : The Match for 4th Spot

Arron
05-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Potentially the biggest game of the season for Manchester City and Tottenham being played at 8pm tonight at COMS. Who do you think will win? Will it be a stalemate?

I'm scouting for Tottenham, they have the slight disadvantage for playing away, but they're 1 point above City and a point will do them nicely, all three points will result in them being the new top 4 and will play in the UCL next season. However if City win, they will go 2 points above Spurs and it will go down to the last game of the season to decide who will actually be the Premier League's 4th place team.

Some team news just breaking on Sky Sports, Gomez will start in net following his groin injury he picked up against Bolton and Ledley King will face a last minute fitness test to see if he "feels okay to play".

I do hope this will be a thrilling contest.. :)

CHA!NGANG
05-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Borefest with no team willing to take a risk, but at the end of the day City need to win, so they'll probably go all out at the end of the game and sneak a goal. What I think will happen anyway.

AlexOC
05-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Yeh, i think tottingham won't be willing to take any chances, and we have it all to play for.

IT WILL BE INTERESTING FOR SURE

Jibbish
05-05-2010, 03:25 PM
tottenham to win please.

AlexOC
05-05-2010, 03:34 PM
tottenham to win please.

Why's this?

luce
05-05-2010, 03:39 PM
for obvious reason tot to win please would LOVE to see city beaten tonight and lose that spot which they thought they were going to get by right this season.

I don't think it will be a thriller but you can't tell. City will have to go all out but then agian it depends on who turns up on the night :)!

CHA!NGANG
05-05-2010, 03:41 PM
for obvious reason tot to win please would LOVE to see city beaten tonight and lose that spot which they thought they were going to get by right this season.

I don't think it will be a thriller but you can't tell. City will have to go all out but then agian it depends on who turns up on the night :)!

I remember reading that at the start of the season, they were aiming for a Europa League place and be in the top 7. It was only when they noticed Liverpool sucking that they started aiming for a CL place.

Anyway, I want City to get it cus it's Spurs. Besides, will Spurs really invest a lot if they get it? If City get it, they will buy a fair few players and would strengthen the PL. On the other hand, if City get it, I can't see any team breaking into the new top 4 for a while, including Liverpool.

Jack.Lfc
05-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Hope city win

Smits
05-05-2010, 04:55 PM
My money is on city, just got a feeling. Plus id like it to go down to the last game considering we play spurs then

Jibbish
05-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Why's this?
I would not like to see the ***** Barry to be playing champions league football.

CHA!NGANG
05-05-2010, 05:36 PM
I would not like to see the ***** Barry to be playing champions league football.

Good chance in about 2-3 years City will replace him anyway. They'll probably buy a whole new starting XI in a few years.

JackBuddy
05-05-2010, 05:38 PM
I think Spurs need to win for the good of English football. City will be unstoppable if they get this and a new 'sky 4' group will be formed.
'
Will be a very close match, boths teams are tactically the same; 2 pacy wide men and a holding midfielder. Just hope that we can use our pace on the break on the big pitch at Eastlands- there is more pressure on City.

City will probably get a top 4 finish next year so it'd be nice of them to give someone else a chance for once!

I'm absolutely bricking it.

edit: CHA!N, Spurs probably have more money than you think. (but obv not as much as City)

CHA!NGANG
05-05-2010, 05:48 PM
I think Spurs need to win for the good of English football. City will be unstoppable if they get this and a new 'sky 4' group will be formed.
'
Will be a very close match, boths teams are tactically the same; 2 pacy wide men and a holding midfielder. Just hope that we can use our pace on the break on the big pitch at Eastlands- there is more pressure on City.

Bricking it.

edit: CHA!N, Spurs probably have more money than you think. (but obv not as much as City)

I know Spurs will have a fair bit of money to spend in the summer, but A) Will he spend it. B) Even with CL, will huge stars come. C) Inflation is huge.

Can you see players like Torres, Villa, Silva, e/t/c going to Spurs? I can see them possibly going to City but the players Spurs will attract, even with CL footy, will be a lot different to those that City will attract. Spurs can't afford to chuck £250,000 a week at a player on wages, City can.

Geraint
05-05-2010, 05:53 PM
hoping for a spurs win.

Jack.Lfc
05-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Even if city dont get cl, they will sign top players.

JackBuddy
05-05-2010, 06:11 PM
We've both been 'comedy clubs' over the years and'll probably both manage a way to bottle it and end up 5th lol.

edit: Lennon's starting for the first time since December. Timing.

edit edit: No Palacios. Mod and Hudd in the middle- Harry is going for it lol.

AlexOC
05-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Could of done without Lennon, Gomes.

Arron
05-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Pretty explosive first half. Gomes has made some key saves, King had a goal disallowed and Crouch hit the post!

Arron
05-05-2010, 08:48 PM
POW. right in the kisser.

0-1.
Crouch, they deserved the goal.

StefanWolves
05-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Well done Tottenham!

Smits
05-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Well done to spurs. Happy for harry he deserves it.

Jack.Lfc
05-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Well dun spursss

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1132137_city_fans_champions_league_tattoo__for_201 1

Jibbish
05-05-2010, 09:31 PM
dont you feel silly now barry.

Smits
05-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Well dun spursss

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1132137_city_fans_champions_league_tattoo__for_201 1

He must be gutted, he can just get the date changed i supose.

Jack.Lfc
05-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Doesnt he realise chelsea are still waiting to win it.

JackBuddy
05-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Absolutely delighted, doesn't seem real after having so many false-dawns over the years and "next season we'll be better". Good to see the sky 4 dominance broken, although I wish it was Arsenal and Liverpool who had been displaced!

I have sympathy for City, it was a close game and close finish in the league but on the basis of the fact that Spurs had occupied 4th for over 170 days or something I think we deserved it. I'm sure City will get it next year though- i'd put my house on it.

AlexOC
05-05-2010, 11:25 PM
dont you feel silly now barry.

no, he moved to a better, higher club.

anyway, well done spurs, deserved to win the game and deserve 4th. we aren't a team, we are a collection of players.

JackBuddy
05-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Just heard that 'Glory glory Tottenham Hotspur' was played on the PA when the City fans left. Respect to City for that, better than Barca when they just turned on the sprinklers.

AlexOC
06-05-2010, 12:01 AM
we are like that

god bless us ;)

oh and fulop today? bobby, sign him up.

Jack.Lfc
06-05-2010, 12:42 AM
Absolutely delighted, doesn't seem real after having so many false-dawns over the years and "next season we'll be better". Good to see the sky 4 dominance broken, although I wish it was Arsenal and Liverpool who had been displaced!

I have sympathy for City, it was a close game and close finish in the league but on the basis of the fact that Spurs had occupied 4th for over 170 days or something I think we deserved it. I'm sure City will get it next year though- i'd put my house on it.

Congrats mate, hope it goes well for use.

StefanWolves
06-05-2010, 01:57 PM
With Tottenham gaining 4th place, and looking to retain it next you, and City almost certain to sign big and get into the top 4 next year too, that could mean both Liverpool and Arsenal drop out of the Champions League? that would be crazy.

AlexOC
06-05-2010, 02:22 PM
It would be mad if Liverpool and Arsenal, both having spent alot of years safely in the top 4, dropped out.

But who wants to see the same 4 teams at the top every year? Not me, i only want to see one there every year, Manchester.

StefanWolves
06-05-2010, 02:25 PM
IMO soon it will be the top 5/6. England needs another Champions League place! not enough to go around! LOL :P

JackBuddy
06-05-2010, 02:38 PM
IMO soon it will be the top 5/6. England needs another Champions League place! not enough to go around! LOL :P
Not sure you're allowed more than 4. If Bayern win the CL final I think Germany gain 1 place and Italy lose 1.

StefanWolves
06-05-2010, 02:45 PM
hahaha i know i was just saying - the italian league has gone down hill

Black_Apalachi
06-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Alex why have you removed me off Facebook just so I can't comment on this lol

AlexOC
06-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Alex why have you removed me off Facebook just so I can't comment on this lol

Just add me again, you will find me on your mum's friend list.

Tell her she forgot her thong.

CHA!NGANG
06-05-2010, 04:33 PM
With Tottenham gaining 4th place, and looking to retain it next you, and City almost certain to sign big and get into the top 4 next year too, that could mean both Liverpool and Arsenal drop out of the Champions League? that would be crazy.

I can see Spurs being knocked off by City, but I Don't think we will go anywhere. Tottenham will look to retain it yea, but I highly, highly doubt they will.

Black_Apalachi
06-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Just add me again, you will find me on your mum's friend list.

Tell her she forgot her thong.

Wasn't funny the first time you texted me this either lol. Also I don't have my mum on fb.

Adamm
06-05-2010, 04:51 PM
LAUGHING OUT LOUD ON THE FLOOR ROLLING AROUND

Browney
06-05-2010, 04:53 PM
I can see Spurs being knocked off by City, but I Don't think we will go anywhere. Tottenham will look to retain it yea, but I highly, highly doubt they will.

Why not?

CHA!NGANG
06-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Why not?

I can see City buying this summer, and becoming very strong. I don't see us being taken off by Spurs, even if they do get 3rd this year, especially as Wenger has admitted he will bring in a few good players this summer, and hopefully next season will have less injuries and actually fight for the title. I can't see Spurs buying that many players in the summer that are top class tbh. Who knows, they might buy a few good players and might be able to retain 4th spot, but I can't see it happening. This just reminds me of Everton when they finished 4th too much.

Browney
06-05-2010, 06:44 PM
City bet everything on finishing 4th this year. I doubt they will be able to bring in the calibre that was expected. A few players here and there true, but it's more likely to be Pienaar than Ribery. Oh come off it, how many times has Wenger said that? If he makes 2 household name signings I will eat my hat. Spurs don't need to, particularly. Look at Spur's bench. Bentley. Crouch. Kranjcar. Bassong. Kaboul. I'd go far as to say that Spurs are one top, top player away from a fixed top 4 finish every year. They need a Gerrard, a Rooney, a Fabregas. A real class act who can win matches single handedly. Not sure who that player would be but, I honestly believe that's all they're missing. (Ok, maybe a couple of class full-backs too.) Plus, everyone forgets put Spurs are pretty minted.

CHA!NGANG
06-05-2010, 06:48 PM
City bet everything on finishing 4th this year. I doubt they will be able to bring in the calibre that was expected. A few players here and there true, but it's more likely to be Pienaar than Ribery. Oh come off it, how many times has Wenger said that? If he makes 2 household name signings I will eat my hat. Spurs don't need to, particularly. Look at Spur's bench. Bentley. Crouch. Kranjcar. Bassong. Kaboul. I'd go far as to say that Spurs are one top, top player away from a fixed top 4 finish every year. They need a Gerrard, a Rooney, a Fabregas. A real class act who can win matches single handedly. Not sure who that player would be but, I honestly believe that's all they're missing. (Ok, maybe a couple of class full-backs too.) Plus, everyone forgets put Spurs are pretty minted.

Looking at the Spurs team they are almost there yeah. Like you say, two new Full Backs and they'd be sorted for a good first team. But I wouldn't say that it's as good as Arsenals, Uniteds, or Chelseas.

Also, we only need a new GK, CB and Chamakh.

Chamakh is pretty much a done deal. A GK, He's been dropping hints for a month that a new one will come in, a new CB he's already said if Gallas goes he will bring in a new CB, and Gallas looks like he's going. I recon this season has showed Wenger how close we are to doing well and with a few players we'll have a good chance at winning stuff.

City realistically only need to sort out the full-back situation and they're sorted.

They have a top team bar that but it needs gelling.

JackBuddy
06-05-2010, 07:18 PM
I think Spurs and Arsenal are almost on a level playing field. Financially, they are just as powerful as eachother and now we have the Champions League to offer; although Arsenal can boast the fact that they are more likely to sustain it. Spurs have only been 1 strong, decent striker (who can play up-front alone) away from being a top team IMO. Levy is said to have given Harry £30m to buy a top striker, and if that happens it could all change.

Add that money to the sales of:
Jenas, Keane, Hutton, Giovani, Taarabt, Pavlyuchenko and O'Hara... possibly a good £30-45m there?

I'm not saying that Spurs are going to achieve a better finish than Arsenal, or will even get 4th ahead of City but I wouldn't underestimate their ability to improve next season.

CHA!NGANG
06-05-2010, 07:27 PM
I think Spurs and Arsenal are almost on a level playing field. Financially, they are just as powerful as eachother and now we have the Champions League to offer; although Arsenal can boast the fact that they are more likely to sustain it. Spurs have only been 1 strong, decent striker (who can play up-front alone) away from being a top team IMO. Levy is said to have given Harry £30m to buy a top striker, and if that happens it could all change.

I'm not saying that Spurs are going to achieve a better finish than Arsenal, or will even get 4th ahead of City but I wouldn't underestimate their ability to improve next season.

I don't myself, but I would say that. I think Spurs will improve yes, but you have to balance that with how much the teams around them improve. Don't think anyone can say how Spurs will do until the start of next season anyway. They could do well, and sustain a top 4 finish, or flop in Europe like Everton and drop back and Liverpool and City will go ahead of them.

StefanWolves
06-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Harry Redknapp has already said he's not looking to massively invest. Was on Sky Sports News this morning.

Jack.Lfc
06-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Is it me or does harry redknapp look like andrew lloyd webber

http://www.contactmusic.com/pics/ma/cipriani_celebs_240608/andrew_lloyd_webber_1938508.jpg

JackBuddy
06-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Harry Redknapp has already said he's not looking to massively invest. Was on Sky Sports News this morning.
That's rubbish, he said that last summer and in January. We have to invest if we want to go further.

Jack.Lfc
06-05-2010, 11:43 PM
He did actually say that. he's been talking to the chairman and all that, maybe he's just saying it so people dont try rip him off for players?

JackBuddy
07-05-2010, 12:14 AM
He did actually say that. he's been talking to the chairman and all that, maybe he's just saying it so people dont try rip him off for players?
Exactly, will just make clubs ask for more. But seriously, someone 'in the know' on the forum I use has said that Harry has been given up to £30m for a striker. Harry is quite shrewd though, can't see him spending that much on one player.

Supposedly making progress with Muntari and Diarra too... don't know how much of that to believe though. Muntari I can see happening, Jose tried to sign Jenas from us in 2008 (ahhaha) and he is definately leaving the club, don't know where though.

God, Portsmouth v.2.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!