PDA

View Full Version : England Provisional Squad

W00TZEH
11-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Goalkeepers
Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green
Defenders
Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock
Midfielders
Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips
Forwards
Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

JackBuddy
11-05-2010, 12:48 PM
my post from the other thread:

Goalkeepers
Defenders
Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock
Midfielders
Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips
Forwards

Highlighted red is who I don't think will pick to make the 23 man squad.

I think Scott Parker's involvement will be based on Barry's fitness and Capello will only pick one of Cole/Johnson.

Mexel
11-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Upson will make it there i think. Good couple of days for Hart, our player of the season and a place in the world cup squad. Im sure i read somthing about Paul Scholes today, i knew it would not be true lol.

Geraint
11-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Upson's been poor this season. Emile Heskey fgs. Zamora much better player and target man.

StefanWolves
11-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Yeah I agree with the above. Glad he didn't include Hargreaves, that would have been a huge mistake, however I do think Carrick will drop out, I also have a very strong feeling that Johnson will stay in the squad at the expense of Joe Cole - and instead England will take 5 strikers.

-Heart
11-05-2010, 03:53 PM
I find it hilarious how Capello is STILL choosing Heskey, I really do.

Definitely should of been Zamora.

Browney
11-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Goalkeepers
Defenders
Midfielders
Forwards

Solid squad.

Will be the ones to drop out. (With any luck.)

Tristan
11-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Goalkeepers
Defenders
Midfielders
Forwards

I hope Adam Johnson goes.
I think Wes Brown should be in there, would've had him ahead of Carragher. I think he's got an injury but still.
I don't think Upson is good enough.
I rate Warnock over Baines.
I pray that Huddlestone doesn't go, he had his chance in the friendly and put in next to no effort.
Not sure about Joe Cole, but put him in.

W00TZEH
11-05-2010, 04:52 PM
wes brown hahahaha seriously?

JackBuddy
11-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Dawson should 100% go. He's been incredible all season, which can't be said for Rio/Terry. I'd like to see Huddlestone get a fair chance, yes he's fat but he's such a good passer of the ball and will help keep possesion, which is quite important in the international game.

Tristan
11-05-2010, 04:59 PM
wes brown hahahaha seriously?

Yes. He's good at Right Back, and very good at Centre Back. :)

JackBuddy
11-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Yes. He's good at Right Back, and very good at Centre Back. :)

Please tell me that's sarcasm.

brandon
11-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Carragher back up right back? Yeah I know he was asked to re-consider his retirement but it doesn't seem fair on the others.

I also hope that Heskey gets dropped and not Bent. I don't like Darren Bent but he deserves it a lot more. Doubt it'll happen though.

Mexel
12-05-2010, 12:27 AM
I would rather take Stuart Parnaby than Wes Brown.

Browney
12-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Please tell me that's sarcasm.

Why? Brown is better than Carragher. I fear for the day a ball is put over Carragher's head for Torres... He's so slow it's unbelievable. He then fouls the strikers who get away from him. I will freak out if he gets sent off in a knock out match. Or, another option would be Capello could've taken Neville for back-up.

CHA!NGANG
12-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Could have taken Richards. Brown isn't better than Carragher imo.

JackBuddy
12-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Could have taken Richards. Brown isn't better than Carragher imo.
Lack of games/poor season.

CHA!NGANG
12-05-2010, 01:20 PM
The thing is, he hasn't actually done that bad when he's played, but I agree that he hasn't played enough games.

tm
12-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Has he picked Heskey for a joke or a bet?

He's scored only 3 goals this season from 46 appearances.

Carlton Cole, who's team finished 18th (just avoiding relegation) in the premiership scored 10 goals this season from 37 appearances. Yet he wasn't picked over Heskey.

Agbonlahor has 16 goals from 45 appearances. Why not pick him?

In comparison, Wayne Rooney, clearly England's best striker has made the same number of appearances as Heskey this season; 46, yet has scored 34 goals vs Heskey's 3.

Why the hell have they ever picked Heskey?

His club career total 728 games, 144 goals is well below par. 1 goal per 5 games you play is poor even compared to some* midfielders.

And don't give me crap about his physical strength. He falls over at every opportunity and has shown very little strength in the last 5 seasons, especially for England.

If further proof were needed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiACmicAPxE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pogPhUWPxk <-- lol!

CHA!NGANG
12-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Everyone bar Capello knows that Heskey is ****. Might be one of the ones to go when he cuts the squad down but I have a feeling it will be Bent.

StefanWolves
12-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Whenever Rooney has played alongside Heskey, Rooney has scored. Which is probably why he picks him.

CHA!NGANG
12-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Yeah but that means your relying in Rooney bagging all the goals from the front. If he gets double teamed by a top team, he won't be able to do much and Heskey can't do anything so it'll be down to Lamps and Gerrard to do something.

4-5-1

I've said it for ages now.

Johnson - Rio - Terry - Cole
----- Barry/Hargreaves-----
--- Gerrard ---- Lampard ---
Milner -- Rooney -- J. Cole

Obviously the CDM role is questionable now because of Hargreaves not being there and Barry injured.

England have countless wingers...

Walcott, Lennon, Milner, J. Cole, SWP, A. Young, A. Johnson, Downing

Why we don't just play 4-5-1 with Rooney on his own is beyond me. That way Lamps and Gerrard do what they do best and Rooney can do what he's been doing for United this season.

Black_Apalachi
12-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Goalkeepers
Defenders
Midfielders
Forwards

Solid squad.

Will be the ones to drop out. (With any luck.)

Why would Carragher be dropped after being asked to come out of retirement?

Has he picked Heskey for a joke or a bet?

He's scored only 3 goals this season from 46 appearances.

Carlton Cole, who's team finished 18th (just avoiding relegation) in the premiership scored 10 goals this season from 37 appearances. Yet he wasn't picked over Heskey.

Agbonlahor has 16 goals from 45 appearances. Why not pick him?

In comparison, Wayne Rooney, clearly England's best striker has made the same number of appearances as Heskey this season; 46, yet has scored 34 goals vs Heskey's 3.

Why the hell have they ever picked Heskey?

His club career total 728 games, 144 goals is well below par. 1 goal per 5 games you play is poor even compared to some* midfielders.

And don't give me crap about his physical strength. He falls over at every opportunity and has shown very little strength in the last 5 seasons, especially for England.

If further proof were needed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiACmicAPxE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pogPhUWPxk <-- lol!

Do you want Rooney to perform well? There is no partner Rooney would prefer you to give him than Heskey rather than any of the others he's hardly ever played with. Part of the reason he doesn't score is because he's probably the most selfless player in the Premiership. I'm not saying he's world class obviously, but he's strong, knows what positions to put himself in and can create things for the likes of Rooney. I've always liked him so I guess I'm happy for him and I don't rate England's chances very highly anyway so it hardly makes a difference, I'll just enjoy it more.

leah
12-05-2010, 04:02 PM
it's an OK squad, nothing too special

JackBuddy
12-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Yeah but that means your relying in Rooney bagging all the goals from the front. If he gets double teamed by a top team, he won't be able to do much and Heskey can't do anything so it'll be down to Lamps and Gerrard to do something.

4-5-1

I've said it for ages now.

Johnson - Rio - Terry - Cole
----- Barry/Hargreaves-----
--- Gerrard ---- Lampard ---
Milner -- Rooney -- J. Cole

Obviously the CDM role is questionable now because of Hargreaves not being there and Barry injured.

England have countless wingers...

Walcott, Lennon, Milner, J. Cole, SWP, A. Young, A. Johnson, Downing

Why we don't just play 4-5-1 with Rooney on his own is beyond me. That way Lamps and Gerrard do what they do best and Rooney can do what he's been doing for United this season.
Lennon has to start IMO.

Jack.Lfc
12-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Carragher is a MUST for the last 23, can play anywhere at the back, hardly ever injured.

+

Why would he come out of retirement if he wasnt guaranteed a place. Capello has always loved him.

Tristan
12-05-2010, 09:49 PM
4-1-2-1-2

James
Johnson - Ferdinand - Terry - Cole
Carrick(Barry?)
Gerrard - Milner/Cole/Johnson
Lampard
Crouch - Rooney

OR

4-2-3-1

James
Johnson - Ferdinand - Terry - Cole
Gerrard - Carrick(Barry?)
Lennon - Lampard - Johnson/Cole/Milner
Rooney

StefanWolves
12-05-2010, 09:55 PM
England have the perfect squad to play 4-5-1/4-3-3, whichever way you want to interpret it.

4-5-1

Hart

A Cole - Ferdinand - Terry - Johnson

Lennon - Gerrard - Barry - Lampard - Milner/Cole/Johnson

Rooney

4-3-3

Hart

Gerrard - Barry - Lampard

Lennon - Rooney - Milner/Cole/Johnson

CHA!NGANG
12-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Tristan, you'd really put Carrick in the England starting line-up?

That's like me saying Walcott should start for England...

Anyway, Yeah I stick to the formation above although the wingers of course will vary from game to game as there's about 8 to pick from. Lennon should start yea but I think Milner and J. Cole also would be good to start so it depends on the game really, but England should defo play 4-3-3/4-5-1.

W00TZEH
12-05-2010, 10:08 PM
England have the perfect squad to play 4-5-1/4-3-3, whichever way you want to interpret it.

4-5-1

Hart

Lennon - Gerrard - Barry - Lampard - Milner/Cole/Johnson

Rooney

4-3-3

Hart

Gerrard - Barry - Lampard

Lennon - Rooney - Milner/Cole/Johnson
why is ashley cole right back and glen johnson left back

StefanWolves
12-05-2010, 10:46 PM
divvy you know what i mean ;]

Browney
13-05-2010, 06:25 AM
Why would Carragher be dropped after being asked to come out of retirement?

1. Since when has Capello made any sense.
2. I did say the people who I hoped would drop out.

Tristan
13-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Tristan, you'd really put Carrick in the England starting line-up?

That's like me saying Walcott should start for England...

As Barry's cover? Yes.
Maybe Walcott could, anyway... Play like he did vs. Barcelona.

JackBuddy
13-05-2010, 11:47 AM
As Barry's cover? Yes.
That's like saying Jenas should go to the world cup for having a decent game against Arsenal last season.

CHA!NGANG
13-05-2010, 04:59 PM
As Barry's cover? Yes.

Yeah and he came of the bench against Barcelona too ;)

As for Barry's cover, If we had a fit squad it would have to be Hargreaves and Barry fighting for the CDM role. England would need someone that can tackle really well in there, and Carrick can't. Carrick is a decent passer and can shoot but that's now what that position is for really.

Tristan
13-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Yeah and he came of the bench against Barcelona too ;)

As for Barry's cover, If we had a fit squad it would have to be Hargreaves and Barry fighting for the CDM role. England would need someone that can tackle really well in there, and Carrick can't. Carrick is a decent passer and can shoot but that's now what that position is for really.

But we don't, I'd agree with you so I don't know why you're making that point. Not as if I'd play him ahead of either of them if they were fit.

Browney
16-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Hart
King -- Terry -- Ferdinand
Johnson -------------------------------Cole
Lampard -- Barry
Milner --------------Gerrard
Rooney

It'd be magic.

StefanWolves
16-05-2010, 04:05 PM
So you're suggesting 5-2-2-1/3-4-2-1

Would get raped down the wings :(

Browney
16-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Nonsense. Just have the wing backs sit back when being attacked, and have Barry sit deeper than Lampard. Then, have the wing backs bomb up on the attack to create a 3-4-3 formation. We have 2 fantastic attacking full-backs. But Johnson just can't defend. So, we play 3 CBs. Play Lampard and Barry in similar roles to how they play now, play Gerrard and Milner out on the wings, but not on the touchline, so you get the best out of them: they both prefer to play more centrally now. Though, Gerrard can come inside and play a second striker role in the kind of position Gerrard loves. Then we can have Milner out wider to stretch play, or even cutting in. Rooney up top alone, job's a good 'un. Besides, we have some quality CBs, much better than our striking options.

Soy
16-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Dawson should 100% go. He's been incredible all season, which can't be said for Rio/Terry. I'd like to see Huddlestone get a fair chance, yes he's fat but he's such a good passer of the ball and will help keep possesion, which is quite important in the international game.

this, huddlestone however is a tank lol

benches 160k

Capello
17-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Guys, on the matter of Heskey, what you must understand, is that he does a VERY important job. he does the hard horsework- running the channels, holding the ball up, and winning headers. This means that Rooney doesnt have to, and CREATES space for Rooney. we cannt play 4-5-1, as rooney is not the type of player for that tactic, and is too good to be doing the simple jobs that someone like heskey can do excellently

Black_Apalachi
17-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Guys, on the matter of Heskey, what you must understand, is that he does a VERY important job. he does the hard horsework- running the channels, holding the ball up, and winning headers. This means that Rooney doesnt have to, and CREATES space for Rooney. we cannt play 4-5-1, as rooney is not the type of player for that tactic, and is too good to be doing the simple jobs that someone like heskey can do excellently

This English is too good to be written by Fabio, but I agree! :P

JackBuddy
17-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Heskey might do the world of good for Rooney but his goalscoring record just isn't worthy of a starting place IMO. As much as I sometimes dislike Crouch, he poses much more of a physical threat.

I'd love to see Spain's defence try and cope with him. (if he actually gets a header on target)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!