PDA

View Full Version : How and when is adoption justifiable? [ENDS 23/05/2010]

Grig
17-05-2010, 04:39 PM
How and when is adoption justifiable?

ENDS - 23/05/2010

Adoption is a concept that is ever growing in the 21st century, with a growing number of people having unwanted babies. Many say adoptions are becoming a positive aspect of society, as they could take care of innocent children, who wouldn’t have had such a chance at living life to the fullest if it was not possible. Often children that come from less privileged parents who simply do not have the economic resources or are unwilling to take care of their children. Adoption, in general can give children a second chance in the world with the love from two parents, someone they can call “mummy” and “daddy”.

However, there is a debate against this where some view adoption as a negative aspect. Many adoptive parents find their child being mentally and physically unstable with whole spectra of problems such as bonding issues, emotionally impairment issues, education delay and this list can go on and on- some linked from problems experienced before the adoption. Depending on the age the child is adopted, he or she may not feel connected to their parents and can get violent, there have been court cases over such issues of the child getting overly violent. Also, the immorality standpoint of adoption is viewed by some people, as some have the ethos that adopting can be compared to wholesaling or selling your child. Adoption can have a negative mental affect on children as they are taken from a society they are used to and put into what can be considered alien territory to them. This again can be argued on the age that they are placed for adoption.

Anyway, the question for this week’s debate is a juicy one to grip your teeth into. it is how and when is adoption justifiable. Remember to give your reasons as to why you think so!

Stryderman
17-05-2010, 04:47 PM
I think its an ok thing, i know quite a few people who were adopted 2 of them met their actual biological parents [get me sound like jeremy kyle] and they said they still think more of their mum and dad [the people who adopted them] than their real parents. Which tbh i think its fair enough another one hasnt met her parents but she said she doesnt rly want to as they lost that privilidge when they gave her up which tbh is what i would think if i was adopted.

The only thing i dislike about people being adopted is when the people who took them in tell them at an older age than when they are younger i think thats so unfair.

Inseriousity.
17-05-2010, 04:51 PM
I don't really see the reasoning as to why adoption isn't justifiable. Of course, they're going to have behavioural issues and whatnot. The adoption process must be really tough for children. I wonder how many times they've been rejected by wannabe foster parents, it's enough to drive anyone insane!

I think the simple line is: abortion or adoption? I know which one I'd rather choose if my parents didn't want me.

RedStratocas
17-05-2010, 05:42 PM
i think having no parents is way worse than having bonding issues with your parents, the view that adoption is unjustified is pretty stupid.

as an aside: adoption isnt a cure for abortion. i hate when people think that instead of getting an abortion, you can just give your baby to a happy loving couple, as if there are huge lines of people outside orphanages waiting to adopt. the amount of people who get abortions/have unwanted children is exponentially bigger than people who want to adopt.

Technologic
17-05-2010, 07:14 PM
My mum was adopted as a baby and she's fine and dandy. Her real mother gave her up as she wasn't able to cope with a 5th child

kuzkasate
21-05-2010, 06:41 PM
I think its fine, but then you look at the case when Russia stopped adoption to the USA for several reasons. Over the past few years, I keep hearing about American families adopting Russian kids, moving them to the USA and treating them like animals. They are beaten, abused to the maximum and there were a few cases where they killed Russian kids... how sad is that?

And if you look at the recent case where an adopted Russian child was took to the USA, abused & then sent back to Russia by himself..

Starburst..x
22-05-2010, 10:51 PM
In cases where a child is abused and put through horrific conditions, it leads you to wonder how they ever ended up in that situation when social services are meant to ensure that the family are suitable to adopt children.

However, when it comes to just your average family trying to adopt a child I personally feel that no one has a right to comment on the situation as it has absolutely nothing to do with them. Who is anyone else to comment on whether or not someone can or can't adopt a child, it shouldn't involve anyone else apart from the the child who is going to be adopted, the family involved in the adoption and social services.

Although saying that, what truly ****** me off is when you get celebrities like Madonna just swanning in and being able to adopt a child in a matter of days/weeks, when for your average family it takes years. Just because they can financially provide for the child, it doesn't make then a better parent. What about people who simply cannot have children and would do anything to provide a home for a child, there are so many children out there who need loving families and yet these people are slowly denied it because of how long the entire process takes.

22andy2231
23-05-2010, 06:43 PM
i think that adoption is a great thing. i speak from experience as i was adopted at the age 11. i look back on these past few years and notice that how much i have learnt and acchieved through this. i made many great freinds from foster parties and bbqs and also i look back at what my life would have been like if i had stayed with my mother.

if i had stayed with her i would not turn out the way i am now. i would be most lykly a druggy who woud get drunk every night and probably have my own children by now which wouldnt be that good as i woud not have had any qualifications at all.

i think that adoption should be available to anyone from any gender and any sexuality. more and more kids are being put into foster care and we really do need good homes for these children. i know this other lad who was put back with his mother and he didnt turn out so well. he wishes he had been adopted and left home at 18. he has no job no money and is barely staying on his feet.

the only problem with adopting is that familys might be split up. i was thankfull to go into a home were my sister was taken with me. i dont know what i would havew done if i wasnt adopted into the same family as my sister.

Also i agree with Starburst.. X on your point about the celebrities. i dont think it is right that they should adopt as they would be way to busy to care for the child and the child would most likly be looked after by a babysitter. what children need most if love. without the love the child feels alone and scared.

TheEclipse
24-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Adoption is always justifiable. Children need stability and someone to love them. But they should be told of the child's problems, honestly and openly so they can make an informed decision.

22andy2231
24-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Adoption is always justifiable. Children need stability and someone to love them. But they should be told of the child's problems, honestly and openly so they can make an informed decision.

not all the time should it be justifialbe because what if the adoptive parents are awful and not nice to the children should they still be adopted???

Japan
29-05-2010, 08:08 PM
The success of an adoption varies from case to case. Different children have differents wants and requirements- for some, a care home with other children who share their experiences and carers who do not call themselves 'mum and dad' is sufficient and even preferred, especially if the child in question has had a traumatic life before being taken into care. However, if a child was taken into care as a baby or young child, then growing up in a 'normal' family environment is probably best.

Overall, I think that the 'right way' of adopting varies. I also think that adoption, though sometimes unfair and often upsetting, is a necessity- there will always be unwanted babies in the world and there really is no other way of fixing this problem other than through adoption.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!