PDA

View Full Version : Schools and appearence

Richie
19-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Well obviously schools don't want you looking like a skank, but why is it that they complain about extreme hair dyes, ear-rings and in my school if your caught with a hoodie they teachers take it off you....

I don't understand how it effects your education, anyone care to explain?

Thread moved by Nicola (Forum Super Moderator) from "Health, Life & Relationships"

dirrty
19-05-2010, 05:15 PM
because appearance is key when it comes to representing your school.

Kyle
19-05-2010, 05:17 PM
No idea about the hoodie thing. Seems kinda ridiculous if you ask me.

Richie
19-05-2010, 05:18 PM
because appearance is key when it comes to representing your school.

But wearing a hoodie to school then sticking it in your locker is hardly gonna effect the schools reputation or girls wearing studs but guys aren't aloud, surely thats classed as sexism?

dirrty
19-05-2010, 05:23 PM
But wearing a hoodie to school then sticking it in your locker is hardly gonna effect the schools reputation or girls wearing studs but guys aren't aloud, surely thats classed as sexism?
naw wasn't talking about the hoody. just a general statement regarding that pupils appearances are important to schools. the hoody thing is probably a bit far, but i suppose their guidelines when it comes to how pupils look are quite strict. but that's not a bad thing.

Meanies
19-05-2010, 05:24 PM
keep up the rep of the school innit

so many skanks round college with next to nothing on tho. should be a uniform there tbh

dbgtz
19-05-2010, 05:25 PM
my school in terms of appearance suck, I'm like the only one who wore it properly and if I try to go casual they target me, it's ridiculous. Well some teachers do everyone but not many.

rnix
22-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Schools state that looking "smart" (lol) will make you feel bored and crap and make you do the work and stuff but wearing you own stuff will make you feel a better and may cause you to slack off.

The words of a staff at my school :) gotta love him :')

MattFr
22-05-2010, 10:34 PM
You're at school to work, stop complaining.

Alkaz
22-05-2010, 10:42 PM
You're at school to work, stop complaining.
This really, they're providing you a 'free' education so the least you could do it stick to their rules.
The thing about hoodies is that most people don't take them off when they get into school when they shouldn't be on, regardless if you're on your way to your locket etc.

With the hair dyes etc I think its because people from outside the school may think like 'that school has no rules, the kids must get away with anything looking like that'. I know that at the school I go to there are only two girls with extreme hair colours, ones is green and the other one is pink and they are right weirdos anyway.

myke
22-05-2010, 10:43 PM
idk, but i have to wear a suit to sixth form... it's pretty annoying but i do feel a bit more proud of how i look i spose...

Volumise
22-05-2010, 11:05 PM
We have stupid rules about our blazers :l this girl didn't bring her blazer to school and was taken out of lessons, how on earth will taking a student out of lessons make anything better?

JACKTARD
23-05-2010, 06:22 PM
All the schools in my area (Not sure if its most of the Country too) have their uniform consisting of shirt, tie, blazer etc. Not many people go to work now a days wearing that, even important business people. They don't wear a blazer, or even a tie sometimes. Lots of people wear Smartish jumpers with a shirt, I think that uniforms should be modernised

Hollie
23-05-2010, 06:59 PM
im not allowed to wear nail varnish any more at my school :l
my school gone really over the top lately. ;L

matt$
23-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Our uniform isnt too strict tbh so idc.

wiktoria
23-05-2010, 07:08 PM
It's annoying in my school you're only allowed black hairbands it's stupid imo. It does not effect your education in any way :S

Mathew
24-05-2010, 06:47 AM
I agree that uniforms and these strict rules are a good idea. As someone said previously, if the school gets a visitor and students are walking around with big ding-dong ear-rings, tie slacking, pink hair and orange skin, it's not really going to look good.

My school has now allowed Years 10 and 11 to wear make-up because they have "earnt the privilege", I think it's a bad idea (all the Year 10's look like tangerines) but hey ho.
At the end of the day you're at school to learn, not to look good. In 20 years, it won't matter what your hair looks like or what shirt you're wearing, your exam grades will though.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!