PDA

View Full Version : Perception of beauty- is thin beautiful? [ENDS 06/06/2010]

Grig
23-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Perception of beauty- is thin beautiful?

Ends: 06/06/2010

The could be considered an age old question, but WHAT really is beauty. Within the world today we want to be thin, we consider that the symbol of beauty. People that we look up to, all the stylish supermodels noways are all thin as sticks. However, they are idolised my millions of teens around the world wanting to look like them, like people such a Victoria Beckham.

On the other side of the spectrum, there is a changing perception of beauty, with people starting to recognize that being 'thin' is not the full definition of beauty. Even the modeling world is molding a new category of 'plus sized models' that are growing in numbers. This perception is also present most in the western culture, however some other cultures in places such as Africa view 'chubby' or 'fat' as being beautiful. Also, when do we go to far with trying to become thin for the sake of good looks, as people are often diagnosed with anorexia, especially teenage girls who look up to their idols.

So, this brings me onto the question of this week's debate; what really is the right perception of beauty, is thin really beautiful. You can delve deeply into this debate giving your opinions and stating why.

22andy2231
23-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Well like you said there are 2 points of view. to be honest i think that thin is ok. aslong as its healthy. The "experts" in the world are all saying that the children of this generation are becoming more overweight and are also trying to make us become thin.

the main thing about this is the models. Models are a good influence but only in the style of looking good with the clothes and not about how fat or thin they are. Many kids in the world know that being really thin is wrong. but also they see that these models look amazing .

my overall view is that i disagree about thin being beautiful. it doesnt matter what size we are or how we look. Everyone is different and not 2 people are the exact same even twins. i think that most people should be in the healthy weight zone mainly because this is also beautiful but its also healthy and good for us to be this.

Axel
23-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Thin? Kinda.

Not fat? Definately.

Hollie
23-05-2010, 07:25 PM
i dont think you have to be thin to be beautiful at all.
i dont think beauty depends on weight or size much at all.

22andy2231
23-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Thin? Kinda.

Not fat? Definately.

yea but fat is not so bad aswell. . if you think about it some people can't help being fat so its not their fault.

Axel
23-05-2010, 07:29 PM
yea but fat is not so bad aswell. . if you think about it some people can't help being fat so its not their fault.

So? I don't care how shallow I may or may not be, but no matter how kind a person is, if they're fat, I just wouldn't be attracted to them.

Hollie
23-05-2010, 07:42 PM
So? I don't care how shallow I may or may not be, but no matter how kind a person is, if they're fat, I just wouldn't be attracted to them.

yeah, i see where your coming from, if there was a skinny person and a larger person, i would be more attracted to the skinnier person, i cant help it though.
it doesnt mean to say the larger person isnt beautiful though.

Axel
23-05-2010, 07:52 PM
yeah, i see where your coming from, if there was a skinny person and a larger person, i would be more attracted to the skinnier person, i cant help it though.
it doesnt mean to say the larger person isnt beautiful though.

I'm not saying I love skinny people or anything. I don't base who I fancy or whatever just on weight alone, a number of different factors come into it, but generally I'd go from anything from thin to slightier fatter than 'normal'. I can like some girls who are fatter more than those that are skinnier. But if someone was fat, it's just a major turn off. I'm sure there's still someone out there for them who doesn't mind fat people, but not me.

buttons
23-05-2010, 07:56 PM
just the same way some people can't help being thin
what really annoys me is how everyone applauds "curvy" people for being brave and showing their body but when slim people do they're frowned upon because it's giving off the wrong signals to teenagers. "curvy" models are basically saying don't be afraid to be fat which is just wrong, there is really no wonder the uk is becoming so obese.
as for the cultures seeing larger people as more beautiful, this is because when food was scarce only rich people could afford it and therefore see big people as wealthy which is an attractive trait (even though nowadays it's the cheapest foods like takeaways which cause obesity).

thin looks better than fat. anyone who disagrees is probably fat themselves. i am not trying to act superior or be harsh but i think it's fact. everyone knows that too thin is disgusting but in all honesty i would rather look at an anorexic girl than an obese one. we're all genetically programmed to be a certain build (well half is, the rest is up to you) and hence why some people find it easy to lose weight, some find it hard and so on. if you look after yourself and keep healthy and happy then that's the real definition of beauty. aslong as you don't try to change yourself.

being thin is not as great as it sounds, i wish i had bigger hips, a bigger bum and thicker legs:'( but i have to live with it.

Plurms
23-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Thin - Ewwy.
Curves - Ooooh ;]
Fat - O.o

cocaine
23-05-2010, 08:00 PM
im in no way attracted to fat girls. so therefore thin = beautiful. next debate please.

Hitman
23-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Most people who are fat are because they eat too much and exercise too little, not many people at all can't help it. I knew somebody who said they couldn't help it, it was genetic, but you should have seen how much they ate per day... genetic my arse!

Very skinny is not nice, fat is not nice, slim is nice, inbetween is nice, a bit chubby is nice.

Posted merged by Nicola (Forum Super Moderator): Double post due to forum lag

hah
23-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Well like you said there are 2 points of view. to be honest i think that thin is ok. aslong as its healthy. The "experts" in the world are all saying that the children of this generation are becoming more overweight and are also trying to make us become thin.

the main thing about this is the models. Models are a good influence but only in the style of looking good with the clothes and not about how fat or thin they are. Many kids in the world know that being really thin is wrong. but also they see that these models look amazing .

my overall view is that i disagree about thin being beautiful. it doesnt matter what size we are or how we look. Everyone is different and not 2 people are the exact same even twins. i think that most people should be in the healthy weight zone mainly because this is also beautiful but its also healthy and good for us to be this.

why have you colour coded your text

i dont think people who are really really think are nice but i like people to be thin

Wig44.
23-05-2010, 09:23 PM
It really is true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have several disputes with my friends about who we think is good looking and who isn't as good. Of course the differences aren't huge, as in we agree on who are the most attractive girls (mostly) but if we were asked to order the 'most attractive' in a list of most attractive to least, they would be different. I'm really turned off by fat girls, chubby isn't great but I could live with it but fat is too much of a turn off. Anorexic is bad too. I think slim is good, slim with curves (it does exist) is awesome and curves (not chubby or fat) is great too. Personality does have to back up the looks too. I'm not talking about the perfect woman though, looks have to be good but not perfect and personalitywill make or break a relationship.

FlyingJesus
23-05-2010, 09:47 PM
To answer the actual debate question I'd have to agree with Wig44., as obviously it's a personal thing and cannot be answered with a universal statement. For my own opinion though, thin itself isn't beautiful but it certainly helps. You can have people with all the proportions I adore bodywise but still having a disgusting face, so they wouldn't be beautiful regardless of their build. That said, I couldn't possibly be involved with a woman over a certain size (quite small for me tbh like couldn't be with someone over size 10 ever) regardless of what her face looks like, because I demand the full package if they want mine.

Curves I couldn't give a damn about because that is in essence just fat placed in another area, and particularly seeing as how people tend to mean boobs and behind when they talk about curves I'd far rather have less there and better formed on a woman than copious amounts of both that sag around and are weirdly shaped. I would, by a long long shot, prefer to be with a girl built like a plank than like a beanbag, if it squishes it's not right.

22andy2231
23-05-2010, 09:51 PM
just the same way some people can't help being thin
what really annoys me is how everyone applauds "curvy" people for being brave and showing their body but when slim people do they're frowned upon because it's giving off the wrong signals to teenagers. "curvy" models are basically saying don't be afraid to be fat which is just wrong, there is really no wonder the uk is becoming so obese.
as for the cultures seeing larger people as more beautiful, this is because when food was scarce only rich people could afford it and therefore see big people as wealthy which is an attractive trait (even though nowadays it's the cheapest foods like takeaways which cause obesity).

thin looks better than fat. anyone who disagrees is probably fat themselves. i am not trying to act superior or be harsh but i think it's fact. everyone knows that too thin is disgusting but in all honesty i would rather look at an anorexic girl than an obese one. we're all genetically programmed to be a certain build (well half is, the rest is up to you) and hence why some people find it easy to lose weight, some find it hard and so on. if you look after yourself and keep healthy and happy then that's the real definition of beauty. aslong as you don't try to change yourself.

being thin is not as great as it sounds, i wish i had bigger hips, a bigger bum and thicker legs:'( but i have to live with it.

well i have to disagree with you and im not fat im 9stone but its not what people look like its what is on the inside that really matters. looks mite also have just a bit to do with it. but what if there was this deadly looking person like they were pure sexi. . but they were so boring and u coudnt even talk to them cause smelt really bad.

but i do get what you are sort of saying like

FlyingJesus
23-05-2010, 09:56 PM
its what is on the inside that really matters

Not true at all really. I find it difficult to make friends with unattractive girls no matter how nice they may be, and nice people are boring as hell anyway. Basic formula:

Bad looks, bad personality - leave it alone
Bad looks, good personality - a friend possibly
Good looks, bad personality - a friend but prob not close
Good looks, good personality - me. Also close friends or LOVERS if they are that fab

Wig44.
23-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Not true at all really. I find it difficult to make friends with unattractive girls no matter how nice they may be, and nice people are boring as hell anyway. Basic formula:

Good looks, good personality - me. Also close friends or LOVERS if they are that fab

Good personality =/= nice.

And on the flip side, you also don't see girls with the nice guy.

lorren
23-05-2010, 10:19 PM
slim is beautiful in my eyes, i cant bare being podgy, but in others eyes maybe not.

FlyingJesus
23-05-2010, 10:22 PM

Init I don't really like nice people that much which is why I said "good personality" instead :P But yeah 2nd point is true, I only know 1 reallllllllly fit girl who's with a guy because he's nice rather than because he's fit, but she's mental anyway and doesn't believe that she's hot.

buttons
23-05-2010, 10:33 PM
well i have to disagree with you and im not fat im 9stone but its not what people look like its what is on the inside that really matters. looks mite also have just a bit to do with it. but what if there was this deadly looking person like they were pure sexi. . but they were so boring and u coudnt even talk to them cause smelt really bad.

but i do get what you are sort of saying like
inside is really not what counts, good looks have advantages in every day life. receiving better marks on tests, getting a job, receiving more tips etc can all be down to attractiveness. i do agree if they're boring regardless of their looks i won't like them very much but i'd make more effort if they were attractive. we can't all be smart, funny and beautiful like me.

exactly. someone whos fat/ugly (same thing) is not likely to be approached by myself so i won't get to know how good their personality is. although you do need that one ugly friend that lets you rip the piss outta them just so you talk to them (if you don't have one of them then you are *that* friend)

true, nice guys finish last ;p

imo curvy is kelly brook;
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_F4yinVt5IS8/SLCLjA64xgI/AAAAAAAAFME/JkoJ5gHmXwI/s1600/Kelly+Brook0.jpg
she has no excess flab, that's real curves. anything more is fat imo.

FlyingJesus
23-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Kelly Brook is still too big for me but yeah that's what "curvy" ought to be, not Beth Ditto replicas claiming that they're beautiful curvy women

22andy2231
23-05-2010, 11:00 PM
imo curvy is kelly brook;
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_F4yinVt5IS8/SLCLjA64xgI/AAAAAAAAFME/JkoJ5gHmXwI/s1600/Kelly+Brook0.jpg
she has no excess flab, that's real curves. anything more is fat imo.

shes not even hot. . thats an example of a ugly thin girl. . .

FlyingJesus
23-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Gotta be a full on chubby chaser if you think Kelly Brook is thin. Not meant as an insult to your tastes, just saying she's really not that skinny.

Hitman
23-05-2010, 11:11 PM
shes not even hot. . thats an example of a ugly thin girl. . .
THIN? THIN? LOL. Dude she's just right...

Ah well, each to their own. :P http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fat+munter

rnix
23-05-2010, 11:12 PM
thin is beauty. fat is vile. =)

Abbie.
23-05-2010, 11:15 PM
i find skinny guys a turn off. i like a bit of muscle.

rnix
23-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Guys - Slim with muscle
Girls - SLIM SLIM :)

22andy2231
24-05-2010, 10:40 AM
THIN? THIN? LOL. Dude she's just right...

Ah well, each to their own. :P http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fat+munter

lol no shes not. . . thats so offputting. . . girls dont look nice if they are reali realli thin. . u woudnt wanna break them like lol . . u need a wee bit of fat on them but not to much

FlyingJesus
24-05-2010, 11:22 AM
She's toned well enough if you like that kind of thing, but she's certainly not thin. Thin is (the very much perfect) Leighton Meester:
http://suddenlysensational.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/blair-waldorf-fashion-blair-waldorf-fashion-4176672-967-1450.jpg

And if you want a real skinny person to compare to Kelly Brook to see who comes under what rating, who better than Lindsay Lohan?
http://www.celebutopia.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/lohan.jpg
http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/340/71/lindsay_lohan_skinny.0.0.0x0.500x788.jpeg
I personally love her ultra-thin look regardless of what newspapers and such want to say about her. Job well done.

22andy2231
24-05-2010, 01:06 PM
She's toned well enough if you like that kind of thing, but she's certainly not thin. Thin is (the very much perfect) Leighton Meester:
http://suddenlysensational.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/blair-waldorf-fashion-blair-waldorf-fashion-4176672-967-1450.jpg

And if you want a real skinny person to compare to Kelly Brook to see who comes under what rating, who better than Lindsay Lohan?
http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/340/71/lindsay_lohan_skinny.0.0.0x0.500x788.jpeg
I personally love her ultra-thin look regardless of what newspapers and such want to say about her. Job well done.

thats what i call to skinny. .

Jam
24-05-2010, 05:48 PM
It doesn't make someone 'beautiful' but it doesn't harm their 'chances' as being fat does.

Wig44.
24-05-2010, 08:29 PM
It doesn't make someone 'beautiful' but it doesn't harm their 'chances' as being fat does.

The most ugly person in my opinion is the 'perfect woman'... BORING.

MattFr
25-05-2010, 12:14 PM
I don't like fat people.

Abbie.
25-05-2010, 01:18 PM

you're taking the piss about lindsay lohan yea? :S i cant see how anyone could find that attractive..

kuzkasate
25-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Well I personally am not much of a fan of thin girls.. but then again I'm not into the fat ones either.

I think that beauty is a gift on its own.. you can be fat + really pretty, skinny + really pretty, disabled + very pretty. Beauty cannot be measured & it's not all about beauty, personality and other stuff too. I know a fat girl, but she looks really good looking, but she has no friends cos she is fat.. if she lost weight, I'm pretty sure she will be a rival towards other girls.

Beauty is nothing to do with weight, its about looks and the rest of it.

FlyingJesus
25-05-2010, 04:30 PM
you're taking the piss about lindsay lohan yea? :S i cant see how anyone could find that attractive..

Nope loving her, I don't get how people can criticise her daily yet not bat an eyelid about how overweight a lot of other celebs are, it's ridiculous.

Beauty is nothing to do with weight, its about looks and the rest of it.

But weight distorts looks (one way or the other), so it must be something to do with it.

kuzkasate
25-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Nope loving her, I don't get how people can criticise her daily yet not bat an eyelid about how overweight a lot of other celebs are, it's ridiculous.

But weight distorts looks (one way or the other), so it must be something to do with it.

Yes I agree, but not by a lot. Like I said, really cute girl.. but fat. Shes has good looks.. even tho shes fat but like if she lost weight she'd look much nicer.

MattFr
25-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Are her **** real?

Shar
25-05-2010, 04:45 PM
No matter what shape or size a person is they can still be said to be beautiful.
Personally I think being thin isn't beautiful but being healthy weight wise is.

Kyle
25-05-2010, 04:48 PM
fat people make me sick

FlyingJesus
26-05-2010, 01:29 AM
Yes I agree, but not by a lot. Like I said, really cute girl.. but fat. Shes has good looks.. even tho shes fat but like if she lost weight she'd look much nicer.

Guessing you're more of a face man than body man then :P

Are her **** real?

If you're on about Kelly Brook, yes they are

MattFr
26-05-2010, 09:00 AM
fat people make me sick

^this. Close this thread. Now.

22andy2231
26-05-2010, 10:06 AM
lol this is a debate it cannot be closed untill its ended. .

but no 2 people are the same size. . so what do you call fat or thin?? everyone have different meanings of it. . .

MattFr
26-05-2010, 02:42 PM

but no 2 people are the same size. . so what do you call fat or thin?? everyone have different meanings of it. . .

fat:
http://www.isthisguyserious.com/images/fat_person_itgs.jpg

thin:

ez u see?

Wig44.
26-05-2010, 03:09 PM

Oh please, no we don't. You really mean some people sugar coat it more than others (the exception from this is people with eating disorders).

Soy
26-05-2010, 03:22 PM
yeah its all about masculinity and feminicity

most people will go fall for the low body fat look, its true.

what pisses me off is when people who deem themselves ugly say it's about personality, lol thinking your personality is greater than others isn't really being a nice person is it.

edit: kelly brooke isn't fit? do you have functioning penises?

Swastika
26-05-2010, 04:22 PM
i'd rather be flinging a skinny lass about the bedroom than attempting to lift up a big lass.
sorry if i sound rude or anything but being a fatty is a MAJOR turn off to lads.

FlyingJesus
26-05-2010, 04:57 PM
edit: kelly brooke isn't fit? do you have functioning penises?

No but that isn't really to do with this

N!ck
26-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But personally I like fairly thin women. LiLo above is probably slightly thinner than I like, but I'd rather that than overweight any day.

Browney
26-05-2010, 07:48 PM
The last few girlfriends have all been either size 8 or less. But I don't mind. I'd prefer thin to overweight though. I now realise thin is beautiful. I find my "ideal" shape for a woman diminishing. I'd still prefer my girlfriend to have more on her. More breast, more booty. But she suits being thin. I couldn't image her any bigger. She's just not built to have such assets. Basically, I'm just saying, I find myself thinking skinnier women are beautiful now more than ever, I've learnt to appreciate beauty in all it's forms. Buxom women with massive chests and pucker-up lips, and skinnier women, with a more delicate beauty.

Soy
26-05-2010, 08:44 PM
No but that isn't really to do with this

doesn't know how to reply to this comment

Sharon
26-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Beauty is inside you, not outside. It doesn't help if your just a ***** but your a beautiful woman. Models are idols, but can also be used as a nagative and put people down because THEY don't look like that.

RedStratocas
26-05-2010, 09:53 PM
thin looks better than fat. anyone who disagrees is probably fat themselves. i am not trying to act superior or be harsh but i think it's fact.

yeah forreal. ive never heard a good looking person ever say "oh i like fat chicks/guys more" i mean when someone does say that i dont really argue with it cause i know its a defense of their lack of ability to get anyone other than someone like that anyway, so itd kinda be dumb to argue about that since its technically a preference and you cant change that.

i hate it when people treat "beauty=thin" like its recent phenomenon. its not the media telling us that thin is beautiful, thats kinda been an established human fact for all of time. if you read old literature, beautiful women are always described as thin and young. all ancient sculptures of women are thin. given, in the past it was quite difficult not to be thin (our modern food consumption allows us to eat what we want when we want, unlike times when food wasnt as easily attainable), but thats really just all the more proof of why thin really is beautiful; we've evolved to be attracted to it. also, our attraction to youth perpetuates this; people dont tend to get really fat until they are adults, so daintiness is a trait of the young and attractive.

im not arguing that its impossible to think someone who is fat is beautiful, everyones got their preferences thats cool, but stop blaming models for creating a "false" perception of beauty. and yes, some people are just naturally fat and there's nothing they can do about it, but 90% of the obese population aren't those people. its just as wrong to tell people that being fat is okay as it is to tell them that not being a size 0 is. at least a size 0 is a virtually unattainable goal, aiming for and falling short would probably make you pretty healthy. id rather there be more education and responsibility towards being healthier than accepting obesity as okay.

PaulMacC
27-05-2010, 07:18 AM
I dont mind, as long as they aren't obese. I dont care about looks too much anyway :)

Pixet
27-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Yes I think thin is beautiful, but I can't help that. Anyway, I HATE when FAT people say they're "curvy". ********! Curvy is not having rolls of fat hanging everywhere, it's having a womanly figure's. And what's the deal with all this "Oh we'll put plus size, curvy women on our magazine to look good" yet the woman are still FAT not curvy! It's either one extreme or the other, seriously. What happened to 'normal' size 8/10/12? Instead it's either 2/4/6 or 14/16.
Another thing is when fat people bash skinny people when 90% of the time it's jealousy. "You're too far too thin" etc, yeah well you're too fat.
Britain is full of obese people, and I'm not joining them. I could rant forever sorry :/

Hiro
27-05-2010, 02:12 PM
I hate it when people say "beauty is on the inside". Yeah, 'cos wearing your skin inside-out would get you all the girls and lads!

I've had my fair share of slim, average and large women, and slim or average seems to be were it is for me. Probably more in favour for the average body type, they are more likely to have the right developments on their body, not too big nor too small.

FlyingJesus
27-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Beauty is inside you, not outside. It doesn't help if your just a ***** but your a beautiful woman. Models are idols, but can also be used as a nagative and put people down because THEY don't look like that.

Aesthetic beauty can't be on the inside unless you're inspired by the sight of organs and such. Personality may in some cases help promote desirability but doesn't actually change how a person looks.

yeah forreal. ive never heard a good looking person ever say "oh i like fat chicks/guys more"

One of my friends does, but he's pretty much black and not really THAT good looking I guess

I HATE when FAT people say they're "curvy". ********!

Another thing is when fat people bash skinny people when 90% of the time it's jealousy. "You're too far too thin" etc, yeah well you're too fat.

Agree with both of these things 100%

Erotica
27-05-2010, 04:54 PM
I think that thin is beautiful, yes. I have nothing against fat people, but they just don't appeal to me.

Pixet
27-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Agree with both of these things 100%
Thank you :)

I also don't agree that beauty is on the inside. You can be good-looking and have a nice personality making people like you more but if you're good looking and a horrible person then everyone will probably hate you or love your looks, not you. If you're a nice person but really ugly then people will still make fun of you and criticize you because your appearance is the first thing someone sees about you.

There's nothing wrong with being confident with your body, it's a good thing but that doesn't mean you have to think that you're perfect and everyone should be look you. I really don't like when you see people who are 'plus-sized' talking badly about how fashion has bad role models etc and how more bigger people should be on the runway. Runway models are small for one reason: they're coat hangers. They walk and look pretty, the clothes do the promoting and that's how it will stay. The whole size 0 debate thing is a waste of time. Overweight people have no place in the fashion model word, imo.

Gina
28-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Well it shouldnt really matter if your thin or fat really, if your beatiful it dosnt always mean your thin, Most people misjudge the fat and thin and just look at there apperence. Being fat is an advantage and a disadvantage at times. Being thin isnt saying your beatiful, some models are thin but so thin its almost ugly, you can be fat and beatiful...

Everyones different, and if your thin you COULD be beatiful but yet again you may not, im thin myself but its like if I looked in the mirror I would think im a monster appearing through some glass. Most thin people are thin on perpose thinkingi t will make them being pretty but if you see some people who do it they've made them self so thin there almost like me.

MattFr
28-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Being fat is an advantage
Insulation on cold winter nights?

Nixt
28-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Thin isn't beautiful by default, I've seen a fair few butt ugly skinny people in my time but (in my opinion) you have to be thin to be 'beautiful'. Attraction to someone who is overweight confuses me. Larger people repulse me in terms of sexual attraction. I'm not saying their personality would be affected by their obesity (although their infatuation with food might get in the way of the relationship), but at the end of the day anyone who says looks don't play a massive part of their physical attraction to others may as well stop kidding themselves and admit they are never going to get someone who looks good. Fat people are ugly. Simples.

HotelUser
29-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Thin isn't beautiful by default, I've seen a fair few butt ugly skinny people in my time but (in my opinion) you have to be thin to be 'beautiful'. Attraction to someone who is overweight confuses me. Larger people repulse me in terms of sexual attraction. I'm not saying their personality would be affected by their obesity (although their infatuation with food might get in the way of the relationship), but at the end of the day anyone who says looks don't play a massive part of their physical attraction to others may as well stop kidding themselves and admit they are never going to get someone who looks good. Fat people are ugly. Simples.

I didn't necessarily have a problem with most of your post as being skinny does seem to be the desired look these days, but I think saying "fat people are ugly. Simples." Isn't a true statement at all, because there are many different variations of obesity, and absolutely every obese person on this earth is NOT necessarily ugly!

Shar
29-05-2010, 12:49 AM
@Garion, I think it's quite offensive to call all fat people ugly, just because they have excess weight it doesn't make them any less attractive. Yes I agree that obese people that are very VERY over weight are unattractive, but this still does not make them ugly. Everyone is beautiful in their own way, if they're not totally attractive, they may have at least one feature that is, thus no one can be called ugly not even fat people.

FlyingJesus
29-05-2010, 12:52 AM
I think it's quite offensive to call all fat people ugly

I think it's quite offensive that fat people put themselves in my field of vision.

just because they have excess weight it doesn't make them any less attractive

Yes it does.

Everyone is beautiful in their own way

No they're not.

if they're not totally attractive, they may have at least one feature that is

One feature would not make someone overall attractive so hardly a valid point.

thus no one can be called ugly not even fat people.

Entirely illogical and untrue.

Shar
29-05-2010, 12:55 AM
I think it's quite offensive that fat people put themselves in my field of vision.

Yes it does.

No they're not.

I didn't say it make them overall attractive but it doesn't make them any less attractive ;l

And I think it's rather harsh calling anyone ugly people are beautiful in their own ways ;l

Caution
29-05-2010, 01:01 AM
thin isn't necessarily beautiful. victoria beckham for instance, looks awful cos she's so skinny, she's just skin and bone. i'd rather go out with someone that was happy with themselves, that didn't feel the need to starve themself, as long as they're not fat haha.

FlyingJesus
29-05-2010, 01:02 AM
It may well be harsh but that doesn't make it any less true - plenty of people are ugly. It'd be like me saying I have long legs therefore I'm not short.

HotelUser
29-05-2010, 02:51 AM
You seem not to have a grasp on perspective. Someone being ugly is not a objective fact, it is a person's opinion. Just because you think someone is ugly doesn't mean I do, or anyone else does. Therefore most of your post is illogical and untrue.

Yes it does.

No they're not.

FlyingJesus
29-05-2010, 03:53 AM
I'm fully aware of that, but taking such a view renders this entire thread useless. My post may be "untrue" in terms of it not being universal fact (which is itself fairly obvious from the nature of the thread) but it is in no way illogical as was the post I was quoting - logic remains logic whatever the subject, and stating that no-one at all can be called ugly because a bit of them might look nice is illogical.

MattFr
29-05-2010, 09:03 AM
I'm fully aware of that, but taking such a view renders this entire thread useless. My post may be "untrue" in terms of it not being universal fact (which is itself fairly obvious from the nature of the thread) but it is in no way illogical as was the post I was quoting - logic remains logic whatever the subject, and stating that no-one at all can be called ugly because a bit of them might look nice is illogical.
^this.

You seem not to have a grasp on perspective. Someone being ugly is not a objective fact, it is a person's opinion. Just because you think someone is ugly doesn't mean I do, or anyone else does. Therefore most of your post is illogical and untrue.
You do not seem to have a grasp on a debate. People's opinion on if "thin in beautiful" is just that, an opinion. How can you be involved in a debate and call someone's view illogical and untrue? It's not illogical and untrue, it's 100% logical and true because it's their opinion. I agree with FlyingJesus anyway.

+rep.

Wig44.
29-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Look I'm sorry but fat = ugly. The mistake we guys make though is thinking women judge on looks alone, for men the beauty of a woman is a huge factor in whether they would be interested in that woman. To say that personality can make you beautiful is ********. For women, the looks (especially not being fat) of a man are a factor, but this has to be backed up by personality. If you are a handsome bloke you will get more initial interest than an ugly or fat man, but (for example) a typical handsome 'nice guy' who is not masculine and doesn't have an ounce of testosterone in his body will fail at women, unless they find a woman who wants a stable family but has fun outside of this by having an affair with a testosteronized masculine man.

If you are failing with girls you should realise that the only constant 'factor' in all of these encounters was you. Real beauty in a man is the man who says 'I am the great catch'. You may confuse this for someone who is a jerk or a **** head but the difference between this and a jerk (who btw gets loads of girls) is that this guy controls his masculinity without it controlling him (jerk). This may seem a wierd tangent but really attraction and how successful you are at it and beauty are synonymous and I saw the two overlapping.

HotelUser
29-05-2010, 01:09 PM
^this.

You do not seem to have a grasp on a debate. People's opinion on if "thin in beautiful" is just that, an opinion. How can you be involved in a debate and call someone's view illogical and untrue? It's not illogical and untrue, it's 100% logical and true because it's their opinion. I agree with FlyingJesus anyway.

+rep.

If you read my first post of the thread you'll see that I agree that obesity isn't what our culture is attracted to, but you did not do this. He's allowed to reply to what someone else said, but he was doing it making statements without structure, or reason. "Totally illogical and untrue" "Yes it does" "No theyre not" was said without reason or explanation. You're getting on my back for responding to what he said, when he responded to what someone else said in an entirely vague and unsupported manner.

Becca
29-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Your attracted to different people than others, if you think someone is hotter than another then that's your choice?
It's nice to be skinny with curves but no-one is perfect.

Cheryl
29-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Anorexic - Ewww
Thin - Nom nom
Curves (Boobs and Ass- no flabby tum) - Ooooh ;]
Fat - O.o

GommeInc
29-05-2010, 05:45 PM
I tend to think it's all in the face. A man or a woman can be ultimiately beautiful depending on the face. Dawn French for example, is considered to be quite beautiful and she's far from thin :P Body shape is probably one of the first things you notice, then when your mind turns on you start noticing more about the person, like how they are structured. So I guess thin is a primary form of beauty, though larger shape can be too. It depends how the pull of the shape I guess, like some can be very wrinkly, saggy and flabby, while some hold it quite well. :P

HotelUser
30-05-2010, 02:47 AM
I agree with you Gomme, in that the best way for me to judge physical attraction towards another person is to see their face, not so much their weight.

Nixt
30-05-2010, 08:19 PM
I understand that some fat people can be better looking than other fat people. It's the same way ugly people can be better looking (less ugly) than other ugly people. But at the end of the day I could not possibly find myself physically attracted to someone packing a lot of weight. It's just not attractive.

N-Dubz
03-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Nobodies going to look at someone fat and think 'I'd tap that' and that's just a fact of life, and proves the world we live in today is shallow and full of vanity.

[Jay]
03-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Anorexic - Ewww
Thin - Nom nom
Curves (Boobs and Ass- no flabby tum) - Ooooh ;]
Fat - O.o
Agree, Thin is not really that nice I prefer girls to have a bit of meat but not to much.
This however is just physicall attraction, personality can have an influence as well.

MrPinkPanther
04-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Beauty does not exist, it is a culture created phenomena. A perception of beauty is ingrained into you from a young age so when growing up it is this beauty that you aspire to and it varies greatly depending on where you come from. For example in many African states it is considered "beautiful" to have a long neck so therefore many women put rings in it to stretch it, whereas in a western society we would consider that to be horrific. I personally believe that the obsession with "thinness" is a western culture fabrication and had many of us been born into different cultures then we wouldn't find it as physically attractive.

So in summary, no I do not believe thin is beautiful because I do not believe "beauty" truly exists, however if the question was "Do you find thin physically attractive?" Then the answer would be yes because I have grown up with that idea in my mind.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!