PDA

View Full Version : Old folks home

Richie
27-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Well I am broke and do want a job over the summer that pays but the chances are slim due to the economic downfall, but anyway I was thinking of working somewhere over the summer like an old folks home, helping out and just giving the people someone to talk to. I can only imagine how happy I'd be if I was really old and a teenager came into the home with the goodness of their heart just to help me.

My only concerns are, what do you do in old folks homes? I know you can help bring them their dinner, talk to them and just generally keep them company, I don't mean to be rude but I wouldn't want to bring an old man to the toilet or anything along those lines.

So has anyone ever worked for an old folks home? What did you do?

Edited by Catzsy (Forum Super Moderator): Moved to this forum from 'Discuss Anything' .

Shar
27-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Aww that's so sweet of you Richie :')
And I doubt you have to take them to the toilet or anything, just probably talk to them and give them food etc :)

Mikey
27-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Also Richie if you had to take them to the toliet you would just wait outside the toliet then walk them back to wherever they were.

Richie
27-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Also Richie if you had to take them to the toliet you would just wait outside the toliet then walk them back to wherever they were.

I'm not trying to be funny, but I thought sometimes they can't wipe themselves?

Mikey
27-05-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm not trying to be funny, but I thought sometimes they can't wipe themselves?

Yeah.. true. I understand why you don't want to take them to the toliet then. haha :D

flatface
27-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Well I am broke and do want a job over the summer that pays but the chances are slim due to the economic downfall, but anyway I was thinking of working somewhere over the summer like an old folks home, helping out and just giving the people someone to talk to. I can only imagine how happy I'd be if I was really old and a teenager came into the home with the goodness of their heart just to help me.

My only concerns are, what do you do in old folks homes? I know you can help bring them their dinner, talk to them and just generally keep them company, I don't mean to be rude but I wouldn't want to bring an old man to the toilet or anything along those lines.

So has anyone ever worked for an old folks home? What did you do?

Edited by Catzsy (Forum Super Moderator): Moved to this forum from 'Discuss Anything' .

aww richie, you would probs just have to participate in helping with male sponge baths, tea & coffee, chatting, line dancing club and I don't know if they do patient observations in old peoples home because thats interesting to do if you get the chance!

Richie
27-05-2010, 10:59 PM
aww richie, you would probs just have to participate in helping with male sponge baths, tea & coffee, chatting, line dancing club and I don't know if they do patient observations in old peoples home because thats interesting to do if you get the chance!

I wouldn't want to do anything like that, I'm not being picky I just feel like I'm invading an old persons privacy and I wouldn't like it. Do you think the staff would be offended if I said I didn't want to do anything along those lines.

flatface
27-05-2010, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't want to do anything like that, I'm not being picky I just feel like I'm invading an old persons privacy and I wouldn't like it. Do you think the staff would be offended if I said I didn't want to do anything along those lines.

Richie that was a joke, and they won't make you do anything you don't feel comfortable with - a lot of stuff you may not be able to do either because certain things are nurse or hca level

dirrty
27-05-2010, 11:00 PM
their nurses would take em toilet.

Mathew
28-05-2010, 01:55 PM
They wouldn't make you take them to the toilet if it's simply a part-time job. My guess is that you'd need a proper nurse's qualifaction to do that sort of caring. The majority of carers are usually kind women anyway so they'd do anything to help an apprentice like yourself :)
Really good idea though. Working with old people and young children isn't really my kind of thing, but now you mention it, it would be kinda cute to just go and talk to them about life.

I could do with a job somewhere but really don't know where, haha :P

Richie
28-05-2010, 02:31 PM
They wouldn't make you take them to the toilet if it's simply a part-time job. My guess is that you'd need a proper nurse's qualifaction to do that sort of caring. The majority of carers are usually kind women anyway so they'd do anything to help an apprentice like yourself :)
Really good idea though. Working with old people and young children isn't really my kind of thing, but now you mention it, it would be kinda cute to just go and talk to them about life.

I could do with a job somewhere but really don't know where, haha :P

I wouldn't be able to, I hate children, they remind me of ******ed midgets. Old people however, I can put up with and although some of them maybe narky I can put up with them.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!