PDA

View Full Version : Why...

JackBuddy
03-06-2010, 12:11 AM
Why are England's chances of winning/getting far in the WC being overlooked by so many people on here?

We've been desperately unlucky at the past few major championships, with disallowed goals, wonder goals, sendings off and penalties being the reason we lost. On paper we also have one of the best teams in the world, only Brazil and Spain really have squads better than ours IMO and we've got players who are capable of that bit of magic which can change a game.

I was speaking to someone who used the Japan game as an excuse for us being 'rubbish', Spain only just managed to beat Saudi Arabia 3-2 the other night. Messi and Lippi said the other week that we are the team to watch out for and Luca Toni has tipped us to win it. I'm not saying we are going to win it or get far, but people are just automatically writing us off.

The only tough, competitive game we've played under Fabio was Croatia, we trouced them both times. I'm not sure we've seen exactly how far we've progressed under Fabio yet.

Black_Apalachi
03-06-2010, 01:15 AM
I haven't been too excited about the World Cup but I actually agree. Now that it's getting closer I am actually getting more hyped up for it and am more optimistic about our chances.

Browney
03-06-2010, 07:55 AM
Expect the worst, then you can't be disappointed. We're all just scared of heartbreak... :(

CHA!NGANG
03-06-2010, 10:58 AM
I don't think we have the right formation or balance myself. We don't know who our No 1 is. We don't know who'll play in the holding role. Gerrard at LM? RM is still up for grabs. We don't know who'll play with Rooney.

Too many questions for such a late stage.

Geraint
03-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Croatia aren't a good team. **** me, Wales' second string outplayed them last week. Still lost but...

JackBuddy
03-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Croatia aren't a good team. **** me, Wales' second string outplayed them last week. Still lost but...
They're the only decent team England have played competitively.

CHA!NGANG
03-06-2010, 01:33 PM

Croatia were missing a few players too though.

Croatia are a decent side, nothing amazing but a solid team. They're ranked quite high as well I think although can't remember where.

Browney
03-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Croatia are 10th in the world.

Geraint
03-06-2010, 02:14 PM
it was practically their full team bar one or two. we had 14 players pull out or whatever it is.

immense
03-06-2010, 04:53 PM
We are English, it's what we do best.

JackBuddy
03-06-2010, 05:55 PM
We are English, it's what we do best.
Could say the same for Spain.

StefanWolves
03-06-2010, 11:26 PM
England have as good a chance of any body. The only two teams that are better than us are Italy and Spain IMO.

Not too impressed with Argentina or Brazil TBH.

CHA!NGANG
03-06-2010, 11:41 PM
England have as good a chance of any body. The only two teams that are better than us are Italy and Spain IMO.

Not too impressed with Argentina or Brazil TBH.

Italy are quite poor nowadays. Although they turn it on during the WC but they have a similar team to the last WC, only 4 years older. They also lost to Mexico earlier and were poor.

The Netherlands will get very far. You heard it here first ;)

Geraint
03-06-2010, 11:46 PM
The Netherlands are big time bottlers. They'll always perform then fail at the end. The Spanish used to be the same but with their Euro 2008 they'll have confidence. Germans and Italians should never be written off. They'll look poor and struggle but they'll get there in the end. They always seem to do.

CHA!NGANG
03-06-2010, 11:51 PM
I think this Italy team is a bit too old now. Germany will be strong I think. I agree about the Netherlands, but with Robben and Sneijder, two of the most confident and inform players in the world atm, and RvP who will be extreamly fresh and has scored 3 goals in his last 2 games for Holland, I think they'll go far. Brazil again can't be written off. England have a chance don't get me wrong and they could win this summer, but I just don't think it will happen with this generation of players.

Geraint
03-06-2010, 11:52 PM
When has an Italian team been young though. That's why they do so well. They're so experienced to these occasions.

CHA!NGANG
03-06-2010, 11:55 PM
When has an Italian team been young though. That's why they do so well. They're so experienced to these occasions.

Hmm.. 4 years ago there team was in there prime really. Now it's quite old.

Buffon, Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Pirlo, Gattuso, Cameronesi, Di Natale all over 30 I think and I think most of them start. Most of them played 4 years ago when they were in there prime. Mexico dominated them today really, and that was a full strength Italy team. I know it's just a friendly but I don't see them going too far myself.

StefanWolves
04-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Hmm.. 4 years ago there team was in there prime really. Now it's quite old.

Buffon, Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Pirlo, Gattuso, Cameronesi, Di Natale all over 30 I think and I think most of them start. Most of them played 4 years ago when they were in there prime. Mexico dominated them today really, and that was a full strength Italy team. I know it's just a friendly but I don't see them going too far myself.
was this game live? where have i been lol

JackBuddy
04-06-2010, 01:26 AM
The Netherlands are big time bottlers. They'll always perform then fail at the end. The Spanish used to be the same but with their Euro 2008 they'll have confidence. Germans and Italians should never be written off. They'll look poor and struggle but they'll get there in the end. They always seem to do.
Holland's defenders aren't anything special either.

John Heitinga (Everton), Gregory Van Der Wiel, Vurnon Anita (Ajax), Khalid Boulahrouz (Stuttgart), Edson Braafheid (Bayern Munich), Ron Vlaar, Giovanni Van Bronckhurst (Feyenoord), Joris Mathijsen (Hamburg), Andre Ooijer (PSV), David Mendes Da Silva (AZ).

immense
04-06-2010, 01:28 AM
they'll just score more than anyone else though

playing blackpool style

CHA!NGANG
04-06-2010, 09:18 AM
was this game live? where have i been lol

I can't remember if it was ok TV, I watched it on a stream. I think the Spain match yesterday was on ESPN. There are a lot of friendlies recently. France are playing today.

Holland's defenders aren't anything special either.

John Heitinga (Everton), Gregory Van Der Wiel, Vurnon Anita (Ajax), Khalid Boulahrouz (Stuttgart), Edson Braafheid (Bayern Munich), Ron Vlaar, Giovanni Van Bronckhurst (Feyenoord), Joris Mathijsen (Hamburg), Andre Ooijer (PSV), David Mendes Da Silva (AZ).

Yeah they're not great but the midfield/Attack is as good as any in the world. Defence wise:

Van der wiel - Heitinga - Mathijsen - Van Bronckhurst

Van der wiel will shine this WC, and his value will rocket. He's a very talented young RB. I know if Sagna leaves, he is lined up as the replacement.
Heitinga is ok.
Mathijsen is quite good.
Van Bronckhurst is past it.

Not the greatest defence, but not terrible. Also they play with 2 holding mids, Van Bommel and De Jong so they have enough defencive cover.

I can really see them going far as long as no-one gets injured.

- Van Bommel - De Jong -
Robben - Sneijder - Kuyt
--------- V. Persie ---------

Then they have Van der Vaart, Babel, Huntalaar, Afellay and some other talented players on the bench.

EDIT: Lagg caused double post, sorry.

Posts merged by Bolt660 (Forum Super Moderator): Double post caused by Forum Lag.

Browney
04-06-2010, 09:53 AM
I think this Italy team is a bit too old now. Germany will be strong I think. I agree about the Netherlands, but with Robben and Sneijder, two of the most confident and inform players in the world atm, and RvP who will be extreamly fresh and has scored 3 goals in his last 2 games for Holland, I think they'll go far. Brazil again can't be written off. England have a chance don't get me wrong and they could win this summer, but I just don't think it will happen with this generation of players.

We're the oldest team in the competition. Helped in no small part thanks to David James. Think about it. James, Cole, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Terry, Lampard, Barry, Joe Cole and Shaun Wright-Phillips will all be atleast 32 by the next World Cup. Some of them will be 35, like Lampard. Also, this is the end of our golden generation. I honestly believe if we don't win it now, we never will. Have we ever had a better chance than to have Lampard, Gerrard, Cole, Ferdinand and Terry still playing? Coincidentally, they will all be atleast 33 by the next World Cup.

- Van Bommel - De Jong -
Robben - Sneijder - Kuyt
--------- V. Persie ---------

I'd prefer Kuyt in behind V. Persie. Kuyt's favourite position is second striker.

CHA!NGANG
04-06-2010, 10:06 AM
We're the oldest squad in the competition. Our first team isn't the oldest. This isn't our golden generation I don't think. We just won the under-17 Euros I think, and we got to the final of the under-21 euros.

It's hard predict the players for the future but:

------------------------------ Hart (27) ------------------------------
Richards (25) - Smalling (24) - Shawcross (26) - Gibbs (24)
---------------------------- Rodwell (23) ----------------------------
-------------------- Milner (28) - Wilshire (22) --------------------
-------- Walcott (25) - Rooney (28) - A. Johnson (26) --------

I've probably missed a few players out but I think that in the future we'll have a very good team.

Browney
04-06-2010, 10:46 AM
We're the oldest squad in the competition. Our first team isn't the oldest. This isn't our golden generation I don't think. We just won the under-17 Euros I think, and we got to the final of the under-21 euros.

I've probably missed a few players out but I think that in the future we'll have a very good team.

OBSESSED WITH THAT FORMATION. :@

JackBuddy
04-06-2010, 10:50 AM
I know John Bostock and Steven Caulker from Spurs are regulars in the England squad, supposed to have big futures ahead of them. Don't know about other teams though... I can see Smalling being another Fergie Turkey.

Browney
04-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Ryan Noble, best U-19 striker in England.

CHA!NGANG
04-06-2010, 11:08 AM
OBSESSED WITH THAT FORMATION. :@

What me? Or everyone lol?

And the ages I listed are in 4 years time btw for anyone that didn't notice lol.

Geraint
04-06-2010, 12:49 PM
England U-17s just won the European Championships aswell. Although, if the level of U-21s was anything to go by, Wales would be beast seeing as we outplayed England in them games :@

CHA!NGANG
04-06-2010, 12:56 PM

England U-17s just won the European Championships aswell. Although, if the level of U-21s was anything to go by, Wales would be beast seeing as we outplayed England in them games :@

;) And Bale and Ramsey for Wales = (Y)

JackBuddy
04-06-2010, 06:57 PM
France 0 China 1

Lloris
Evra
Abidal
Gallas
Sagna
Malouda
Toulalan
Gourcaff
Ribery
Anelka
Govou

lol.

CHA!NGANG
04-06-2010, 06:59 PM
France 0 China 1

Lloris
Evra
Abidal
Gallas
Sagna
Malouda
Toulalan
Gourcaff
Ribery
Anelka
Govou

lol.

Yeaa watched the game. In fairness France weren't that bad, but they just couldn't find a way through, China defended really well. China scored from a free kick and the ball moved like crazy. I think the diamond would work really well for france but they play 4-3-3.

Geraint
04-06-2010, 07:10 PM
4-3-3 with them lol.

should be toulalan holding and gourcuff attacking with malouda and ribery out wide.

CHA!NGANG
04-06-2010, 07:18 PM
-------------- Lloris --------------
Sagna - Gallas - Abidal - Evra
------------ Toulalan ------------
Malouda -------------- Ribery
------------ Gourcuff ------------
---- Anelka --------- Henry ----

Geraint
04-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Should get another CB in. 3 FB's in the backline.

CHA!NGANG
04-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Should get another CB in. 3 FB's in the backline.

Abidal plays CB for france.

CHA!NGANG
04-06-2010, 10:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13m-kDF1R1Q&feature=player_embedded

32 seconds in. There was no deflection.

CHA!NGANG
05-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Holland beating Hungary 6-1. 10 mins left.

Robben, Sneijder and RvP All had big influences and all scored.

Like I said, Holland will get far imo ;)

EDIT: Robben injured. Maybe not so far now :( Depending on the injury anyway.

Browney
05-06-2010, 02:31 PM
What me? Or everyone lol?

And the ages I listed are in 4 years time btw for anyone that didn't notice lol.

Nah, not just you.

Bun
07-06-2010, 12:36 PM
england will win obviously ;)

StefanWolves
07-06-2010, 06:27 PM
england will win obviously ;)

yah :D:D

luce
08-06-2010, 07:00 AM
i think we have a good chance of getting far with a bit of luck in who we get drawn against but we do have a really skilful team and if they play together we have as much chance as everybody. However i'm not to optimistic at the moment i think semi's.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!