PDA

View Full Version : Brazil

Browney
11-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Am I the only one who can see Brazil struggling in the group phase, finishing second then going out to Spain in the last 16? No? Just me? Brazil have the toughest group for sure.

CHA!NGANG
11-06-2010, 06:50 PM
I see what you mean, but they're still very strong and have done well qualifying and in friendlys so I'm sure they'll do fine. You never know though.

JackBuddy
11-06-2010, 07:06 PM
I see what you mean, but they're still very strong and have done well qualifying and in friendlys so I'm sure they'll do fine. You never know though.
If they play Gilberto (the defender) then they won't even make it into the top two.

Browney
11-06-2010, 07:13 PM

Portugal and Ivory Coast can cause problems. I can see a draw with Ivory coast and a win for Portugal. In my dreams.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/inc/v4/world_cup_2010/wallchart/main.html#p03469bdfjhkmrous06439fdbjmkhrsuo90d4jru k9juddju9 >: D

CHA!NGANG
11-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Portugal and Ivory Coast can cause problems. I can see a draw with Ivory coast and a win for Portugal. In my dreams.

I don't think Portugal will do very well. I think the Ivory Coast will though and might get a draw with them.

Thing with Brazil is that no-one really stands out for me but then again, the defence bar 1 CB is beastly.

Browney
11-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Got Maicon and that ugly CB bloke on my fantasy football. I think you're underestimating Portugal. The obvious threat is Ronaldo. Then there's Deco, Simao, Miguel Veloso, Pepe, Tiago. They have some VERY competent players, enough to stir an upset.

lorren
11-06-2010, 07:31 PM
pretty sure they're 2nd fave to win? :)

Geraint
11-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Ivory Coast and Portugal aren't very good. Really don't see the big thing with Ivory Coast. Chile might cause them problems though but they did beat them twice in qualification.

Browney
11-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Yeah I know, but I just figured they slip up once and they could be playing Spain as soon as the next round, and I reckon Spain could 'ave 'em.

CHA!NGANG
11-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Got Maicon and that ugly CB bloke on my fantasy football. I think you're underestimating Portugal. The obvious threat is Ronaldo. Then there's Deco, Simao, Miguel Veloso, Pepe, Tiago. They have some VERY competent players, enough to stir an upset.

They've done extreamly poorly over the past year. They have quality players but they don't play together well, and Ronaldo isn't half as effective for Country as he is for Club. I don't think they'll do well, but anything can happen.

Ivory Coast, in Africa, with some good players, I think they'll do ok. Probably get 2nd place imo behind Brazil.

Browney
11-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Ivory have some good players, but not all great. Sure Kolo and Yaya Toure, with Drogba and Kalou upfront, and to a lesser extent Zokora and Eboue but the rest are pretty poor. By no means am I saying Portugal are strong everywhere, but with a fit Nani their wing play is fantastic and the options in the middle aren't bad, with Deco and Veloso. But Portugal, for me, just have a bit more quality. Especially at the back. Carvalho, Ferreira, Alves.

CHA!NGANG
11-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Ivory have some good players, but not all great. Sure Kolo and Yaya Toure, with Drogba and Kalou upfront, and to a lesser extent Zokora and Eboue but the rest are pretty poor. By no means am I saying Portugal are strong everywhere, but with a fit Nani their wing play is fantastic and the options in the middle aren't bad, with Deco and Veloso. But Portugal, for me, just have a bit more quality. Especially at the back. Carvalho, Ferreira, Alves.

Nani is out of the WC. Portugal have top players, but don't work well as a team at all and have done poorly for a year now. Apart from GK and LB they have quality everywhere.

JackBuddy
11-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Nani is out of the WC. Portugal have top players, but don't work well as a team at all and have done poorly for a year now. Apart from GK and LB they have quality everywhere.
Portugal have been playing **** football under Queiroz. I think Ronaldo (their best player by a country mile) only scored 1 goal, which was a penalty in the whole of the qualifying campaign.

Browney
11-06-2010, 08:10 PM

;) Haha.

Black_Apalachi
12-06-2010, 12:57 AM
North Korea have the toughest group because they have to play Brazil

FlyingJesus
12-06-2010, 01:14 AM
I don't rate Brazil right now. I'm sure they still have the skills and flair that are characteristic of them and have been for however many decades but their superstars aren't the greatest in the world at this moment in time. Still likely to win the group simply because Portugal aren't a team, Ivory Coast won't have the confidence against a team like Brazil and NK are NK, but really can't see them going too far, especially if they come up against Spain.

Black_Apalachi
12-06-2010, 01:33 AM
I don't expect them to win the tournament or even necessarily get extremely far but they'll still win their group

luce
12-06-2010, 08:09 AM
pretty sure they're 2nd fave to win? :)

yeah but they have by far the hardest group and i don't really see anything too special in their team. It's just the football history and the hype that surrounds an amazing team like Brazil. I can see there being a shock in that group and in the group with SA mexico etc..

Bun
12-06-2010, 11:23 AM
brazil > ivory > portugal.

CHA!NGANG
12-06-2010, 12:58 PM
You say they have no-one special but they work from the back.

Julio Cesar, arguably the best keeper in the world at the moment.

Maicon and Dani Alves, arguably the two best RB's in the world.

Lucio, Arguably the best CB in the world at the moment.

Kaka, when in form is an amazing player and he's very fresh.

Robinho will turn up for Brazil and will play well.

Same goes for Fabiano.

They have some very good players but I don't think leaving Pato, Diego and Ronaldinho out helped.

Oh and Denilson :eusa_shif

JackBuddy
12-06-2010, 01:00 PM
As long as by bet comes through and North Korea score the most goals then I'll be happy regardless.

StefanWolves
12-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that England's 11 are man for man the better squad of the two? :/

Think about it, Yeah their goalkeeper is better than any we have, their RB, yeah is better than ours, but CBs? King, Ferdinand and Terry are better than Lusaio and Lucio. We have the best LB in the world (as much as it pains me to say that), our two midfielders, match up to their, Lampard matches up to Kaka (Kaka hasn't had a good season at all, been injured, and Lampard is on TOP form), Gerrard is far better than their holding midfielder Silva. Brazil's Robinho isn't really anything to shout about, he's been piss poor (can't think of the other winger :(), Lennon can definitely match up to their wingers on his day, and then comes the striker, Fabiano is not half player that Rooney is when both are in full form.

Their overall squad of 23 may be better, and have more strength in depth, but their first 11 is nothing IMO to be really scared of. Unlike in years gone by, e.g. Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka, etc. I can't believe that they didn't take Pato.

JackBuddy
12-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that England's 11 are man for man the better squad of the two? :/

Think about it, Yeah their goalkeeper is better than any we have, their RB, yeah is better than ours, but CBs? King, Ferdinand and Terry are better than Lusaio and Lucio. We have the best LB in the world (as much as it pains me to say that), our two midfielders, match up to their, Lampard matches up to Kaka (Kaka hasn't had a good season at all, been injured, and Lampard is on TOP form), Gerrard is far better than their holding midfielder Silva. Brazil's Robinho isn't really anything to shout about, he's been piss poor (can't think of the other winger :(), Lennon can definitely match up to their wingers on his day, and then comes the striker, Fabiano is not half player that Rooney is when both are in full form.

Their overall squad of 23 may be better, and have more strength in depth, but their first 11 is nothing IMO to be really scared of. Unlike in years gone by, e.g. Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka, etc. I can't believe that they didn't take Pato.

To an extent Brazil ride (and thrive) upon their reputation. England have a similar one to Spain a couple of years ago in the sense that both were/are massive underachievers who failed to show up on the big stage. Collectively, as a squad, only Spain narrowly beats us IMO. We've got a good bunch of youth and experience, and a squad with many players in their late 20's (which is when they should be at their peak).

CHA!NGANG
12-06-2010, 01:08 PM
They aren't as good as other years by far no, but they work as a team very well and England don't which is going to be the main difference. Englands first XI on paper is very very strong but, that's only paper.

I'd say that Brazil and England both have the strongest defences imo, I don't see why Alves doesn't play LB. I'm sure he's adept enough to do so.

Gilberto Silva >>>>> Every player in the world

Kaka might be very fresh, or he might be holding onto his injury. Not sure. A fresh and in form Kaka > Gerrard or Lampard imo, especially with England but with Gerrard and Lampard together, it's better than the Brazilian midfield.

Robinho is a world class player when he's in a team that he wants to play in, and he wants to play with Brazil. It was the whole reason why he moved to Santos so I have no dobut he'll do fine for Brazil. I don't think that Lennon is better for England, than Robinho with Brazil.

Fabiano isn't as good as Rooney no.

I agree that on paper England have an equal side as Brazil probably, but they don't work as well together.

EDIT: I think that Spain have by far the strongest squad in the world and the strongest first XI too so I wouldn't say that they narrowly beat England. Argentina and France had the potential to have extreamly strong squads, better than Englands, but the managers messed that up for them. Germany always do well.

Holland have a very good team and have an attack force that's up there with Argentinas, probably a little worse but they're my favourites to win the WC.

Italy are past it imo, portugal don't work as a team.

StefanWolves
12-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Everyone forgets the actual underachievers. Holland. Their squad is packed full of talent, okay their defence is well, inept, but apart from that they're a match for anyone.

JackBuddy
12-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Lennon is strictly a wide man wheras Robinho is more inclined to playing more centrally and drifting inside (similarly to Joe Cole but further forward). I honestly think that Kaka is over-rated and is judged on a few good performances. Not saying he's a bad player, just not as good as everyone makes out.

CHA!NGANG
12-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Lennon is strictly a wide man wheras Robinho is more inclined to playing more centrally and drifting inside (similarly to Joe Cole but further forward). I honestly think that Kaka is over-rated and is judged on a few good performances. Not saying he's a bad player, just not as good as everyone makes out.

I highly disagree with that. At AC Milan, he was an amazing player. He hasn't played well for Madrid but he's had injuries for a while which have only recently showed up for Madrid.

Most people think Lampard and Gerrard are extreamly overrated, I also disagree with that but if you're going to say Kaka is overrated, you might as well say Lampard and Gerrard are too.

And I mentioned Holland somewhere in there :P Got a few bets on them.

StefanWolves
12-06-2010, 01:24 PM
I highly disagree with that. At AC Milan, he was an amazing player. He hasn't played well for Madrid but he's had injuries for a while which have only recently showed up for Madrid.

Most people think Lampard and Gerrard are extreamly overrated, I also disagree with that but if you're going to say Kaka is overrated, you might as well say Lampard and Gerrard are too.

Gerrard, besides this year, the previous 6 years overall their is no doubt he has been one of the top 3 best players in the world (going by Club football), you cannot say the same about Kaka. Does Kaka even play well for Brazil? seen them play a few times on Sky Sports in the qualifying stages and never really heard his name mentioned.

StefanWolves
12-06-2010, 01:25 PM

forum lag pls delete

CHA!NGANG
12-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Gerrard, besides this year, the previous 6 years overall their is no doubt he has been one of the top 3 best players in the world (going by Club football), you cannot say the same about Kaka. Does Kaka even play well for Brazil? seen them play a few times on Sky Sports in the qualifying stages and never really heard his name mentioned.

I rate Gerrard higher than Lampard and think that him and Kaka are two very different players. Gerrard has been a very good player constantly, but Kaka has stepped it up over recent years although Like I said, both two different years. Kaka over the last 3-4 years has been constantly one of the best players in the world, and considering he's 3-4 years younger than Gerrard, I think he'll have another 3 years of being top class so it's hard to compare them due to the ages and the different styles.

I think Kaka plays welll for Brazil but it's hard to see because apart from this year, he hasn't been the main man, there has always been bigger stars then him.

FlyingJesus
12-06-2010, 01:44 PM
A fresh and in form Kaka > Gerrard or Lampard imo

Can't bring myself to agree with this, obviously I haven't seen Kaka play as much as I've seen Gerrard/Lampard but despite not being as quick as the Brazilian midfield they are incredible at what they do, and if we're talking fresh and on form (which Kaka often isn't anyway) then ours, Gerrard especially, could certainly outplay him I believe.

I think that Spain have by far the strongest squad in the world and the strongest first XI too so I wouldn't say that they narrowly beat England. Argentina and France had the potential to have extreamly strong squads, better than Englands, but the managers messed that up for them

Spain definitely set for big things, they're my favourites to win as long as they don't start making silly mistakes. Argentina I agree with you on - if Maradona wasn't such a mong trying to make sure Messi doesn't get more national praise than he did instead of letting them all do their thing as they do so well in league games then they could easily be even more deadly than they already are. France though I can't see doing well this year. Euro 2012 could well be theirs though if some of their younger players like Gourcuff and Lloris keep improving the way they have been.

Everyone forgets the actual underachievers. Holland. Their squad is packed full of talent, okay their defence is well, inept, but apart from that they're a match for anyone.

It's true they have some good players, but they're even worse for bottling it than we are and that's always been the case.

Let's face it any player with pace is going to be amazing in the Italian leagues, I could probably play for some of the lower table teams there ;|

CHA!NGANG
12-06-2010, 01:49 PM
He hasn't just got pace though :P

And I do rate Gerrard and Lampard don't get me wrong but I think that when all of them are fresh Kaka edges it. Just my opinion though. All 3 are top class players.

And by France, I mean if the manager wasn't stupid, they could actually have gone quite far and had a very strong squad. I mean they have quite a few good keeper, some were left out like Frey who retired because of Domenech, then they have Sagna, Clichy, Evra, Abidal, Gallas, Mexes (left out), and some other good defenders, maybe less so for Gallas.

Midfield they have Toulalan, Ribery, Malouda, Nasri who I think could have done really well but oh well, Gourcuff e/c/t. Attack, Benzema could have done well but he's been left out too, then they have Henry and Anelka who are also strong.

They have a strong side but they don't work well together at all. In fact, apparently the squad is split into two different groups and one set won't pass to the other, which is why Anelka never passed to Gourcuff yesterday.

StefanWolves
12-06-2010, 01:50 PM
I really think Spain will bottle it, they're my favorites to win but I just have this feeling that they will bottle it. Their preparation seems unideal, they've only just arrived in SA.

FlyingJesus
12-06-2010, 02:00 PM
He hasn't just got pace though :P

Next to Nesta&co... haha

In fact, apparently the squad is split into two different groups and one set won't pass to the other, which is why Anelka never passed to Gourcuff yesterday.

lol I hadn't heard this, is there a proper reason they're supposedly split or is it something ridiculous like French league players vs overseas

I really think Spain will bottle it, they're my favorites to win but I just have this feeling that they will bottle it. Their preparation seems unideal, they've only just arrived in SA.

I can definitely see it happening, they just seem like that sort of team. It's a shame though because they really are the best lot out there I think, and usually quite fun to watch once they get going.

Browney
13-06-2010, 12:13 PM
lol I hadn't heard this, is there a proper reason they're supposedly split or is it something ridiculous like French league players vs overseas

Apparently it's cause the older players like Anelka and Ribery thought Vieira should have been taken, and Henry should start in place of govou.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!