PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good CV?

United-Clowgon
25-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Applying for a Visual Merchandiser role in H&M..

PERSONAL STATEMENT

An employer will find me to be flexible, co-operative and willing to work hard. I am an efficient and organized person that likes new challenges. I am computer literate and enjoy learning new skills. I work well as part of a team and on my own. I am always punctual and reliable.

KEY SKILLS

Technical Skills

·Computer savvy

·Good with problem solving

·Ability to stay calm when under pressure

Personal Skills

·Enthusiastic, knowledge-hungry learner, eager to meet challenges and quickly assimilate new concepts.

·Highly motivated self-starter who takes initiative with minimal supervision.

·Confident, hard-working employee who is committed to achieving excellence.

·Productive worker with solid work ethic who exerts optimal effort in successfully completing tasks.

·Highly adaptable, mobile, positive, resilient, patient risk-taker who is open to new ideas.

CERTIFICATES & MEMBERSHIPS

·2 Weeks work experience with New Style Radio (Voluntary)

·1 Weeks working experience working with Fox Hollies School (Voluntary)

·Helping out in my local community cleaning, parks, alleyways, and cleaning graffiti off the walls. (With School)

EDUCATION

School Name, Location
----------

I have officially left School. I have taken a wide range of GSCE subjects such as, English, Maths, Science and RE.

Also while at School i decided to do the new National Diploma (Creative & Media) which covers a rich range of disciplines including film, Tv, fashion and business.

PERSONAL INTERESTS

I am keen to follow a career in retail specifically in the fashion industry. I am well organized, highly motivated and have excellent communication skills. In addition I am reliable, flexible, and quick to learn.

A well qualified school leaver. I am keen to gain a retail experience with a highly regarded company.

Excellent verbal and written communication skills and an ability to relate to a wide range of people.I am Particularly interested in economic processes, financial systems and globalization and i am keen to develop a career in this field with a blue chip organization that will provide me with early responsibility.

Knowing a Company such as H&M who are a leading fashion retailer, i feel this the perfect company to gain experience and to use the skills developed, into future projects.

REFERENCE:
Mr Banks
-------------

AlexOC
25-06-2010, 12:33 PM
You should be listing all the GCSEs you recieved in school, subject along with grade.

It is also best that you include two referees, one work or education orientated, and one you know personally, like a family doctor, vicor or friend (don't get your mate who lives on benefits as one)

But your key skills are very good, and would probably match any person specification a business would make :P

MrPinkPanther
25-06-2010, 01:33 PM
CV's are all about good language. Heres a few things I picked up that I think you can improve on.

An employer will find me to be flexible, co-operative and willing to work hard. I am an efficient and organized person that likes new challenges. I am computer literate and enjoy learning new skills. I work well as part of a team and on my own. I am always punctual and reliable.

Try to avoid this. Re-read this and look at how many "I am"s there are. It really stops it flowing. I'd personally try to minimise the use of "I's" in your CV, you could often replace them with words like "Futhermore". It makes you look more developed as an individual.

Computer savvy.

You've used what I would consider to be informal termonology throughout your CV like the above. Why not replace it with something like "Professional standard computational skills"?

·2 Weeks work experience with New Style Radio (Voluntary)
This is nit picking now but I've always felt that brackets have no place in these kinds of documents, you should also consider writing out the number in word format as well. I'd simply replace the above with "Two weeks work experience at New Style Radio on a voluntary basis".

A CV is all about bigging yourself up so your use of English should match how good you are saying you are, particuarly because you said you have excellent written communication skills. It's a good CV but in my opinion theres a few things you could work on to really take it to another level.

Hope this helps and good luck!

WetFloor
28-06-2010, 05:08 PM
I only read the personal statement and decided to stop there. If I was the employer, your CV would have been in the bin within seconds.

As soon as I read the personal statement I knew I had read that somewhere else before, so I copied into the address bar and the first result I got was this from 2 years ago: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080729121255AA6n9XH

A little tip: Do not copy some-one else's personal statement.. especially not from the internet because as I've just shown, it takes seconds to see if it's been used elsewhere.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!