PDA

View Full Version : Should School/College Holidays be staggered?

Catzsy
16-07-2010, 03:04 PM
I was wondering this as it seems a long time in the summer. I think I would prefer regular longer breaks throughout the year and perhaps different area should have different times as the travel industry couldn't have a monopoly on mega high prices during set holidays.

What do you think?

alexxxxx
16-07-2010, 03:06 PM
I was wondering this as it seems a long time in the summer. I think I would prefer regular longer breaks throughout the year and perhaps different area should have different times as the travel industry couldn't have a monopoly on mega high prices during set holidays.

What do you think?
they do this in france but i think it causes problems if you want to meet family/friends etc.

HotelUser
16-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Compared to us in North America you already have staggered Holidays :P

I atleast, don't get any mid term, half term time off. No time preceding or proceeding examinations, one day at Easter and a week and 1/2 at Christmas.

Samantha.
17-07-2010, 08:04 AM
I like the holidays how they are, I think there staggered enough :')

Special
17-07-2010, 08:21 AM
stay the same, i mean they should be longer in the summer & it's better to break the rest of the year up with 1 or 2 week holidays anyway

Mr-Trainor
17-07-2010, 08:41 AM
I like how it is at the moment :)

kk.
17-07-2010, 08:53 AM
I think something like this was researched and something like having longer holidays at Christmas and Easter could mean you forget a lot more of the stuff you were taught. It's perfect the way it is, especially since the weather in summer is hotter

wiktoria
17-07-2010, 09:06 AM
I like it how they are now.

crazed
17-07-2010, 11:11 AM
I'd rather have more time off at xmas and a shorter summer holidays. Maybe that's just me :)

Alex3213
17-07-2010, 11:13 AM
I would like 1 week extra at Christmas but one less week of summer because otherwise it drags on too long.

Catzsy
17-07-2010, 11:13 AM
I'd rather have more time off at xmas and a shorter summer holidays. Maybe that's just me :)

Yes I would like that. Would be great to get away to the sun in the winter.

Alex3213
17-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Yes I would like that. Would be great to get away to the sun in the winter.

This actually wasn't the way I thought of it, just because it drags on :P, but yeah that's a good suggestion actually- and it's nice to have a bit more time for family as well.

dbgtz
17-07-2010, 11:28 AM
The only problem I think with splitting the summer hols up is the fact its not easy to concentrate in heat, imo. So I think it's fine in terms of holidays tbh.

Alex3213
17-07-2010, 11:31 AM
The only problem I think with splitting the summer hols up is the fact its not easy to concentrate in heat, imo. So I think it's fine in terms of holidays tbh.

I know I keep replying but it's because people are moaning about lack of discussion in these sorts of threads... but surely near the end of the summer it cools down anyway?

Sharon
18-07-2010, 12:50 AM
I like the way it is :)

Alkaz
18-07-2010, 01:14 AM
I would like 1 week extra at Christmas but one less week of summer because otherwise it drags on too long.
This, I would like a week off before Christmas and two weeks off after.
My old school was thinking about doing a four week Christmas break and the reasoning was that it was cheaper as they didn't have to pay for the heating bills but they never went though with it.

beth
18-07-2010, 01:35 AM
i definitely think so. i actually was on the bus coming home from work the other day, and i heard some parents discussing it.
i broke up from college in may, and i start uni in october. that's almost 5 months off. it seems like such a waste of half a year to me. i'm working full time during my holiday, but lots of my friends aren't and are just sitting around bored.

and it's in my opinion, that this sort of boredom without goals and ambitions, and just voids of long spaces of time are what breeds depression amongst teens and obesity and other issues. there's nothing for people to work towards, it's just an endless gap.

so yeh, definitely stagger them.

Moh
18-07-2010, 02:41 AM
They should be earlier. By the time it's August, it's cold :l

dbgtz
19-07-2010, 08:02 PM
i think "cold" is a bit ott
i think we have a decent break system as i think regular breaks are good and the bigger one where its harder to concentrate is better. But saying that if you were to switch the summer hols to 2 weeks and xmas to the 6 weeks then it would mean that less school could be missed because of potential snow.

Samantha
19-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Well I'm like 50/50 I voted keep them same but I should really vote I don't know.

6 weeks isn't that long. It helps holiday companies get more money by always being booked. It gives you more time to wound down. Etc. But I think *does phineas and ferb tune* '104 days of summer vacation' for americans, etc is too long.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!