PDA

View Full Version : Driving Lessons

Alexx..
25-07-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm learning to drive and so far i've had a 5 lessons and I'm a pretty good driver so far.
My driving instructor gave me a little booklet and it has a checklist of what I need to cover for my test. So far i've covered
"cockpit checks"
"controls"
"moving off/stopping"
"mirrors - vision and use"
"signals"
"junctions l/r & cross"
and i'm sure i've covered more but my driving instructor hasn't ticked them off and he's just said "we'll go through them more later"

I want to be able to drive by september so I can drive to college so I want to book enough lessons within now and then for me to be able to pass my test. I'm not sure how many I should book cause I don't want to overbook my lessons and keep doing my lessons and waste my money when I know I can pass my test.

What should I do?

Nicola
25-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Hmm I suggest not booking loads in advance. Say you book about 10 lessons, you get to the 9th lesson of that batch and then maybe book another 10 or so.

Also maybe have a word with your driving instructor and ask him if you're where you should be for the average learner driver, and ask him how many more lessons he predicts you will need. It will probably help you to get a better idea of how far along you are.

Robbie
25-07-2010, 02:12 PM
I'd say it will be nigh on impossible to pass before September. There's usually about a months wait at test centres as it is.

danzooo
25-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Don't book loads of them in advance, just have the money with you for each lesson. Get plenty of private practice in yours/your parent's car and basically eat, sleep, think and dream driving.

Like i do.

Judge Judy
25-07-2010, 04:47 PM
I'd say it will be nigh on impossible to pass before September. There's usually about a months wait at test centres as it is.

Agreed with Robbie. You've got theory to book (and do) and whether you pass that you have the practical to book as well.

Took me 3 weeks to wait for theory and test centre for York was a 13 week wait when my instructor booked (now it's 7).*

*though these will be different at every test centre.. but they aim for a 3 week waiting list nonetheless.

Shockwave.2CC
25-07-2010, 06:24 PM
I book mine for once a week and that seems to be ok. So why don't you book lessons for once a week. You don't have to book them every week, but you can book like 5 or 10 lessons like this week but spread them out by doing 1 lesson each week. :)

Alexx..
25-07-2010, 06:37 PM
I do 2 a week but was wanting to up it cause I want to pass my test a bit quicker cause I need to drive to college and stuff.

myke
25-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Sorry to pee on your parade, but I'm not so sure it can be done, you've had five lessons and want to pass already? lol

You have no idea how much work and effort you have to put into manoeuvres, the average/recommend is 45 hours...

Good luck though lol

jam666
25-07-2010, 08:14 PM
It will be hard to pass before setember but nevertheless good luck trying :). I passed in just under 2 months from start to finish and have had around 20hours of lessons.

I had my theory booked two months in advance of my lessons starting so i could then book my practical test immediately (6 week waiting list)

Swastika
27-07-2010, 12:31 AM
You've got no chance of passing by September lol.
I book my lessons in blocks of five, which is fairly convenient to be honest, rather than booking one each week or going over the top and booking like 10.
Try and get as much practice as you can in your parents cars or whatever too, unfortunately i can't my dad has a lexus lollllll, no chance of me driving that just yet. :P

tdi
27-07-2010, 11:37 PM
depends on your driving history really.. i passed in 16 hours but I'd driven loads at work/on the farm in the past, i did however pick up a few bad habits which I had to get out of,

ihatehash
28-07-2010, 07:41 AM
I only did 5 lessons and then just a bit of practice with my parents, and passed my test the month later. It may be different in the UK though.

William93
28-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Book your theory straight away, that's normally a 3 week waiting time which takes you into the middle of August. Then you can book your driving test which has another waiting time. For me it is 8 weeks so I can't take it until the 29th September. You got no hope of passing by September, sorry.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!