PDA

View Full Version : Driving Test changes as of Oct 4.

Sunny.
27-08-2010, 04:48 PM
So.. I booked my test for the next available date I could get which is Second week of october.

I told my instructor obviously and she then told me that as of Oct 4 driving tests were being changed and there would be a new section to the test. The new part isnt that bad but its just something else to worry about on the day. Its simply 10 minutes of driving and following preset instructions given to you in one go.

Heres more info:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_188282

What do you guys think about it?

danzooo
27-08-2010, 10:27 PM
So basically... the examiner tells you where to go, and you've to get there yourself?

Arron
28-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Yeah I was speaking to my instructor about this. Basically yeah, your test examiner will give you a destination and you have to get there simply by following road signs. I don't think it will be too hard.

danzooo
28-08-2010, 12:39 PM
nah doesn't sound too hard at all, you'll be fine.

Stephen
30-08-2010, 12:17 AM
can you bring a satnav

danzooo
31-08-2010, 08:51 PM
can you bring a satnav

no soz

immense
31-08-2010, 08:53 PM
i think this could be quite hard rly lol

danzooo
31-08-2010, 09:07 PM
ikr, i have such a **** sense of direction too. im glad ive already done my test

immense
31-08-2010, 09:08 PM
same, although it's nothing drastic i bet so many people are like "thank **** ive passed" lol

GommeInc
01-09-2010, 12:46 AM
It won't last for long ;) They tried doing it quite a while ago and got told off as it's unfair for dyslexic drivers. It suggests anyone who can't follow instructions is dangerous and shouldn't be near a car, when following instructions isn't a fundamental part of being a safe and otherwise good driver. They'll get in trouble and it will be scrapped. They should only have you drive around for 10 mins at random, with slight examiner intervention, not give you pre-determined destinations and instructions.

The news article seems to not make it clear as it seems to suggest you can drive about at random but at the same time have to follow a certain route or destination, despite the fact you can make "some mistakes", even though there must be a limit to how many mistakes you make. Heck, it's not even about limits, some roads must surely not be marked or go straight off course? If the learner knows the area, just say "Go to the town" or "drive around town for me for a while", it seems better than saying "Go to X Street".

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!